• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No 3D in Pokémon Sun & Moon? Why?

Intel_89

Yokai Watch is fully in 3D and overall looks nicer than ORAS other than Pokemon in battle, those are actually pretty impressive.

jax

Banned
But besides Retro, who would do a great job at a Pokémon game? Maybe Square Enix?

Mario Maker 3DS doesn't utilize the 3D slider either. It really doesn't matter at this point in the 3DS's life. Nobody cares about 3D anymore, and the 3DS will begin to be phased out going into year when the Switch is up and running
But Mario Maker didn't have two previous 3DS titles that utilized 3D.

Beyond that, I'm sure Mario Maker runs better on a N3DS than on a O3DS. Unlike Pokémon.

The 3DS also has development confirmed until well into 2018. It wouldn't be surprising if Pokémon was one of those late 2018 titles as well, likely without improvement with N3DS hardware or 3D again due to "reasons".

jax

Banned
We probably shouldn't assume the worst for whatever Game Freak has planned for the Switch. And even then, The Pokémon Company may have more of a say on who works on the mainline Pokémon games (correct me if I'm wrong). Another thing to consider is that Game Freak isn't actually owned by Nintendo. They're a private developer who can develop for whatever system they choose. It's just that Pokémon is in a weird web of ownership that Nintendo has a sizable stake in. If you want more details on how the Pokémon ownership is handled, there's a NeoGAF thread for that.
This is a great post that I'm sorry I somehow missed. I actually knew a lot of that information, such as Game Freak not being owned by Nintendo.

But at this point I still feel like Nintendo, in order to protect their own branding (3DS, NS) should step in and use that 32%+ to dictate what is needed in a mainline Pokémon game. If Game Freak can't handle that then a dev that can should be commissioned to help fill in the blanks. Things like Streetpass and Amiibo are glaring omissions to the 3DS games and I believe they ultimately hurt Nintendo's marketing efforts.

Problem is, it seems like Game Freak is a very stubborn company (look at the Pokémon Amiibo problem) so I don't know if they would veto that idea or even be able to veto it.. but there's certainly an issue with how these games are being developed. The fact that the demo for S&M runs the same on an O3DS as it does on a N3DS suggests the game is not optimized for the new hardware in the least bit. This is a huge issue.

BooJoh

Mario Maker 3DS doesn't utilize the 3D slider either. It really doesn't matter at this point in the 3DS's life. Nobody cares about 3D anymore, and the 3DS will begin to be phased out going into year when the Switch is up and running

The only way I see 3DS being phased out next year is if Switch gets ridiculous sales numbers from launch. It's far more likely that Switch will get an average-to-mediocre start, then either ramp up to more success or tank like Wii U. Nintendo may phase out 3DS if Switch is a runaway success, but it seems far more likely to me that we'll see a successor to 3DS.

It's also not really fair to say "nobody cares about 3D anymore" in a topic full of people complaining that a game doesn't utilize 3D.

This is a great post that I'm sorry I somehow missed. I actually knew a lot of that information, such as Game Freak not being owned by Nintendo.

But at this point I still feel like Nintendo, in order to protect their own branding (3DS, NS) should step in and use that 32%+ to dictate what is needed in a mainline Pokémon game. If Game Freak can't handle that then a dev that can should be commissioned to help fill in the blanks. Things like Streetpass and Amiibo are glaring omissions to the 3DS games and I believe they ultimately hurt Nintendo's marketing efforts.

Problem is, it seems like Game Freak is a very stubborn company (look at the Pokémon Amiibo problem) so I don't know if they would veto that idea or even be able to veto it.. but there's certainly an issue with how these games are being developed. The fact that the demo for S&M runs the same on an O3DS as it does on a N3DS suggests the game is not optimized for the new hardware in the least bit. This is a huge issue.
It's really not a huge issue.

Astral Dog

too much Graphics
beach.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Because GameFreak is terrible at making games. The game doesn't even use texture filtering

The only way I see 3DS being phased out next year is if Switch gets ridiculous sales numbers from launch. It's far more likely that Switch will get an average-to-mediocre start, then either ramp up to more success or tank like Wii U. Nintendo may phase out 3DS if Switch is a runaway success, but it seems far more likely to me that we'll see a successor to 3DS.

It's also not really fair to say "nobody cares about 3D anymore" in a topic full of people complaining that a game doesn't utilize 3D.

But Mario Maker didn't have two previous 3DS titles that utilized 3D.

Beyond that, I'm sure Mario Maker runs better on a N3DS than on a O3DS. Unlike Pokémon.

The 3DS also has development confirmed until well into 2018. It wouldn't be surprising if Pokémon was one of those late 2018 titles as well, likely without improvement with N3DS hardware or 3D again due to "reasons".

I said "begin to phase out", for the record. I don't really see the 3DS getting a successor in a true sense because the whole point of the Switch is to combine their handheld and console stuff together. Right now, they're still selling 3DS stuff while the Wii U is dead, so that's why I was under the impression that's why Nintendo is referring to the Switch as a "home console" at the moment. It's basically similar to their "third pillar" PR speak when it came to the DS and GBA.

ss_lemonade

You have to hack the New 3DS to achieve those framerate boosts.
I know, and it was sort of ok with ORAS since the new 3ds came out a little later. I'm expecting the new games though to take advantage of the New 3ds' hardware without resorting to homebrew.

Because GameFreak is terrible at making games. The game doesn't even use texture filtering

I always wondered about this too. Is it an artistic thing? Didn't that old 3ds pokedex app have filtering applied to the models? Because that one looked really good.

-shadow-

I'm still shocked that they got SMM running on a regular 3DS. There's no way that could have been easy to pull off.

I'm really not seeing why it should be so hard for the system. It's just a bunch of 2D sprites layed out in a grid. Even the New style uses 2D elements for pretty much everything except Mario. Why should that be so hard on the system?

Ridley327

I'm really not seeing why it should be so hard for the system. It's just a bunch of 2D sprites layed out in a grid. Even the New style uses 2D elements for pretty much everything except Mario. Why should that be so hard on the system?

The more intense levels have bullet hell intensity with all of the moving parts that can happen. Granted, they did say that not every Wii U level is playable on the 3DS version, but they can still get pretty nuts.

Opa-Pa

Let's just say Gamefreak are the only popular studio I know that makes From Software look like technical wizards.

I honestly don't know how people at Nintendo haven't stepped up and tried to help them lol.

so game run good

Yeah if that qualifies as running well then I sure am thankful it doesn't have 3D.

Sigh...guess I will wait for the citra version to force 3D. Unless there comes a hack for the 3DS.

It's weird because the box says 3D for select areas like the other Pokemon games

Opa-Pa

It is disappointing to see the new Pokemon games ain't taking advantage of N3DS hardware. It could have improve 3D performance.

The funny part is that apparently they do, but they're still awfully optimized. From the demo I noticed that Sun and Moon take advantage of the full power of the system like Smash and MH4 so it has to reboot when you exit the app, unless you're playing on a n3DS.

So yeah, it takes advantage of it, it's just that they're such a mess that you can barely tell because it runs as terribly as past titles.

BooJoh

I said "begin to phase out", for the record. I don't really see the 3DS getting a successor in a true sense because the whole point of the Switch is to combine their handheld and console stuff together. Right now, they're still selling 3DS stuff while the Wii U is dead, so that's why I was under the impression that's why Nintendo is referring to the Switch as a "home console" at the moment. It's basically similar to their "third pillar" PR speak when it came to the DS and GBA.

I agree that it's the same as the third pillar. If DS had tanked they would've released a successor to the GBA. But DS ended up succeeding so they didn't have to fall back on GBA.

I'm simply saying that this time they're banking on what's essentially a home console to be a big success and if it is, they won't need dedicated handhelds anymore. But their home consoles have done progressively worse every generation with the exception of the Wii, and I personally don't see this panning out differently.

I'm primarily a handheld gamer and I play Nintendo games more than anything else so I'd love to be wrong and Nintendo's future to be in handheld/console hybrids, and I'll be a day one adopter, but I'm just personally predicting another dedicated handheld after Switch not being as popular as it'll need to be to replace handhelds.

Sigh...guess I will wait for the citra version to force 3D. Unless there comes a hack for the 3DS.

It's weird because the box says 3D for select areas like the other Pokemon games

In the demo I believe the photo-taking minigame is in 3D.

"Game A lacks feature B"
"That's good because I don't use B"

If you don't care that others want feature B, why would they care that you don't want B? Who are you even talking to?

wuth

Is it Nintendo playing it safe? Perhaps they don't use it everywhere because 3D is still rumored to hurt children's eyes?

-shadow-

Why would all their other games support 3D? Even Mario has it, hell 3D Land has levels designed around the 3D aspect.

SoulUnison

Banned
"Game A lacks feature B"
"That's good because I don't use B"

If you don't care that others want feature B, why would they care that you don't want B? Who are you even talking to?

Have you never seen a discussion about the 3DS's 3D before?
It's like there's no middle ground.
It's 40% "I love the 3D and have never turned it off" and 60% "I don't use the 3D and therefore nobody else should ever, either."

I'm the former.

I like the 3DS's 3D. It's the only thing that makes the system's awful resolution bearable. I don't use it 100% of the time, but I use it pretty often. How godawful it was in X/Y was honestly shocking, and seeing people happy that a feature is removed because of Game Freak's incompetence is mind boggling.

Just because you don't like/use a feature doesn't mean it should go away. If Game Freak had any idea how to make games, they'd be able to make it run well, look good, AND have 3D. Resident Evil Revelations looks far better Sun/Moon do, could do 3D and it came out years ago.

Have you never seen a discussion about the 3DS's 3D before?
It's like there's no middle ground.
It's 40% "I love the 3D and have never turned it off" and 60% "I don't use the 3D and therefore nobody else should ever, either."

I'm the former.
I don't use it, but at least if 3D were supported, they might have a reason to somewhat optimize the game.

Right now it runs like shit, and 3D user or not, that affects me.

BooJoh

For the record, speaking on X&Y's lack of 3D in the overworld, Junichi Masuda is quoted as saying:
We really wanted to make the overworld - the field - as beautiful as possible. We could put in a lot of grass and flowers, and try to make them as pretty as possible. When you don't use the 3D effect you are able to render quite a bit more on the 3DS. That's one of the reasons why we wanted to leave it off in the overworld, because it gives us more power to show off more beautiful graphics.
...That plays to the strengths of the 3DS, where you don't require glasses - you don't have to put them on and take them off at certain moments. You can just leave it on and then at certain specific moments, the 3D will come on and it will be more surprising or impactful to the player.

But if you've played some of the more graphically impressive 3DS games then it's pretty evident that GameFreak also just isn't as good at optimizing as some other developers.

The part when you take photos of Pokémon has 3D strangely.

Play the demo with your 3Dswitched on, and do the photography section.
I don't know if it's by accident or not.

GameFreak has been pretty technically incompetent on the 3DS. The Pokemon games look great, but not so much that they should run the way they do, even with the 3D off double battles and up can chug a bit.

No they don't. Compare RE:Revelations, Xenoblade and others to Pokemon. Pokemon is so half-assed it's like buying a new wwe game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Because GF is incompetent, or cheap, the Pokemon games are the only 3DS games I own without texture filtering.

The Pokemons and SMT4/Final are the only games I'm even aware of that don't have texture filtering, the latter both have 3D though, which looks terrible because the games take place in a not very well lit Tokyo lol

The sheer hyperbole in this thread.

Sun and Moon have by far some of the best visuals of any 3DS game, the only JRPGs that are even close are the port of DQ VIII, which incidentally is 2D only too and Xenoblade 3D which is n3DS only and fakes it's 3D effect.

I can't believe people want a Hyrule Warriors esque 20 fps max on n3DS 3D mode . I'm sure that would have gone over well.

Top Bottom