• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No 3D in Pokémon Sun & Moon? Why?

jax

Banned
Others already mentioned it. The hardware is not powerful enough/Gamefreak does not have the technical chops.

Mini-rant:
3D will always go down as one of the most useless features in a Nintendo system, and 3DS was almost killed because of it. The loss of 3D for Sun & Moon is negligible for the vast majority of people.
3D may be negligible, but the overall speed and framerate of the game should be vastly improved between the two devices. On XY/ORAS that wasn't the case.

Gengahrrr

Because the 3DS can't handle it. The models for the Pokémon are really detailed (namely for future-proofing), & the 3DS can only handle so much.

This is the answer. They future-proofed all the Pokémon models for HD and the squish them down to run on the 3DS. Their engine currently runs like shit with 3D turned on, so they just said fuck it and removed 3D. And nothing of value was lost.

But GAF gonna GAF and this non-issue will turn into a multi page thread...

jax

Banned
This is the answer. They future-proofed all the Pokémon models for HD and the squish them down to run on the 3DS. Their engine currently runs like shit with 3D turned on, so they just said fuck it and removed 3D. And nothing of value was lost.

It shouldn't run like shit on the New 3DS. There should be notable improvements over the older consoles that are just not present. (At least in the demo)

Shiggy

Maybe it was patched in, but when I was playing ORAS when it launched the stable 3D (including the light) was not working.

It's automatically there. It's a system feature, not a game-specific feature. Maybe you had it deactivated in system settings or just imagined things on the original 3DS were better than they really were.

jax

Banned
It's automatically there. It's a system feature, not a game-specific feature. Maybe you had it deactivated in system settings or just imagined things on the original 3DS were better than they really were.
I just booted up ORAS, the 3D is awful. No noticeable difference between the old 3DS and new. It might seem to be working, but the 3D is not "Super Stable". I get double vision no matter what angle I play. This is the only game this happens with, on multiple consoles.

The Antelope

Neo Member
Why would they care? 3D, no 3D, terrible frame-rate... It will sell millions anyway.
They are just bad developers. The latest Pokémon games suck and I as a Wailord, keep buying them...
Does anybody know if the full game will support the c-stick? Those camera angles in the demo are horrible.

Shiggy

I just booted up ORAS, the 3D is awful. No noticeable difference between the old 3DS and new. It might seem to be working, but the 3D is not "Super Stable". I get double vision no matter what angle I play. This is the only game this happens with, on multiple consoles.

Maybe your 3DS is broken then. Works for me as long as the framerate is OK. When the framerate is shit (during battles), it's not working well.

jax

Banned
Why would they care? 3D, no 3D, terrible frame-rate... It will sell millions anyway.
They are just bad developers. The latest Pokémon games suck and I as a Wailord, keep buying them...
Does anybody know if the full game will support the c-stick? Those camera angles in the demo are horrible.
My money is on no. They are in full on the-new-3ds-doesn't-exist mode. No Amiibo. No c-stick. No shoulder buttons. Just nothing :(

Maybe your 3DS is broken then. Works for me as long as the framerate is OK. When the framerate is shit (during battles), it's not working well.

During battles is the only time I would even care for it to work. It should work better than the old 3DS and it doesn't due to "reasons"

HardRojo

Is 3D that much of a requested feature for games? It's a shame they're not implementing it for those that enjoy the effect, but I never really used it when I still had my 3DS and will probably still not use it when I pick up a n3DS.

The game's always ran like shit in 3D so it's make sense they didn't want to support the feature. Also the Switch doesn't have 3D, maybe to make it easier to port to the high res version coming fall 2017 son!

Strimei

I had the demo chug and slow down when it was just my pokemon, the totem pokemon, and its minion. That's three pokemon, I can only imagine how a horde battle will be in SM.

3D is on its way out anyway.

Some people obviously want it, on GAF or otherwise.

I always find it disappointing when a 3DS game doesn't support 3D. Plenty of games seem to be able to give players the option of turning it off for better performance (Street Fighter, Hyrule Warriors, and even Pokemon XY, ORAS). Even if the game has weak or unremarkable 3D, I still like to have the option since it is one of the 3DS's most unique features.

With the more powerful New 3DS being out for a while at this point, I was hoping that Game Freak were going to finally fully include 3D in Sun/Moon (both in battles and out) at least for n3DS users, but clearly they chose not to. I don't think Game Freak have ever been technical masters, but I had hoped they'd at least enable the option.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Maybe your 3DS is broken. The Super Stable 3D does not need to be enabled by a game, it's enabled on a system-wide level and while it's enabled it's used for everything that's in stereoscopic 3D.

Correct, his statement confused the hell out of me.

Smasher89

The games might be optimized more for the switch, since triple battles are possibly gone, same with rotation, I bet the reason the new engine couldnt handle that, especially concidering the only double battle (or was it totem) in the demo got drasticly worse framerate when there were more then 2 pokemon on the field.

-Horizon-

Right. It would run exactly how it runs on an OLD 3DS as it does on a NEW 3DS. That's the problem. My question is why?

Why do they ignore new hardware improvements? Laziness?

But why put so much effort for a system that will pretty much be abandoned by the end of next year (unless they go full dumb again and put Sun2/Moon2 on 3ds instead of switch).
Is it laziness? Idk, sure.
But I'd also call it a waste of resources for features that won't change the return on investment.

jax

Banned
But why put so much effort for a system that will pretty much be abandoned by the end of next year (unless they go full dumb again and put Sun2/Moon2 on 3ds instead of switch).
But I'd also call it a waste of resources for features that won't change the return on investment.
With how long it took XY to come to 3DS, I wouldn't be surprised if there was one more 3D-less 3DS game long before Pokémon Switch is released.

Wanderer5

Not sure about the N3DS, but probably for the best with the regular 3DS least. The 3D was only used during battles in ORAS (and XY too I guess), and the framerate took a nosedive quite frequently. SM already has some issues without the 3D heh.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I only turn 3D on for a second to remind myself why I don't use it. You can't play games with that thing, it'll fuck with your eyes. I can't even watch a cut scene with it on.

jax

Banned
I only turn 3D on for a second to remind myself why I don't use it. You can't play games with that thing, it'll fuck with your eyes. I can't even watch a cut scene with it on.
You must not have used the New 3DS super stable 3D. It works fantastically.

Because the devs suck at optimization.

Because the 3DS can't handle it. The models for the Pokémon are really detailed (namely for future-proofing), & the 3DS can only handle so much.
That's not how proper game development works.

When a dev makes a game for a portable device, they reduce the complexity of in-game models. The high-poly model still exists somewhere, but one certainly wouldn't expect it to be making an appearance in a game on a platform that cannot handle that model, especially with a screen as small and low res as the 3DS that nobody will even notice.

-Horizon-

With how long it took XY to come to 3DS, I wouldn't be surprised if there was one more 3D-less 3DS game long before Pokémon Switch is released.
Hopefully that was just the growing pains of them having to remake all the character models into 3D.
Otherwise, lol game freak gonna game freak.

Goldenhen

It is disappointing to see the new Pokemon games ain't taking advantage of N3DS hardware. It could have improve 3D performance.

in a nutshell

1. 3DS hardware is fucking weaksauce
2. Game Freak's technological acumen is fucking weaksauce
3. Sun and Moon is genuinely one of the better looking games on the system and it probably already runs at 20fps as it is

Doczu

The unlocked cpu speed in a modded n3DS proves that literally any game with an unlocked framerate gets you better performance/more stable framerate.
So it is just as easy as flipping a switch.
And before anyone comes up with "game breaking glitches" (not that any happened in all the games i tested) and stuff - this would be no hack, but a legit release, like many other games on the system that support the revision console. Think Hyrule Warriors (yeah, yeah - not first party).
FFS imagine Sony giving the middle finger to the PS4pro users with their future first party games...

-Horizon-

The unlocked cpu speed in a modded n3DS proves that literally any game with an unlocked framerate gets you better performance/more stable framerate.
So it is just as easy as flipping a switch.
And before anyone comes up with "game breaking glitches" (not that any happened in all the games i tested) and stuff - this would be no hack, but a legit release, like many other games on the system that support the revision console. Think Hyrule Warriors (yeah, yeah - not first party).
FFS imagine Sony giving the middle finger to the PS4pro users with their future first party games...
I mean if this has been tested on xy battles with 3D on as well then ok, sure, shame on game freak.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Because GameFreak actually operate in a time-rift where its still 1998 there and they're just graduating from Playstation 1 / N64 level development.

Their first Dreamcast / PS2 game on Switch is going to be quite the treat!!!

3. Sun and Moon is genuinely one of the better looking games on the system and it probably already runs at 20fps as it is

It really isn't. It's got an okay artstyle and its the first mainline Pokémon to do 3D environments like we've been used to in other games for the last 18 years affecting people's perception. 3DS launch games put it to shame for crimany's sake.

SoulUnison

Banned
Because Game Freak is a technically incompetent developer and, for some reason, Nintendo refuses to hold them to a higher standard for their headlining portable series.

They have a habit of just barely getting halfway familiar with the hardware they're developing for in its last year of life when the successor is on the horizon.
Happened on the GBA, happened on the DS, now it's the 3DS's turn.

Doczu

I mean if this has been tested on xy battles with 3D on as well then ok, sure, shame on game freak.
Both X and OR i played had more stable framerates during battles. Better without the 3D of course. The top of the fps didn't raise a lot, but the bottom sure wasn't as low and frequent.
And that was achieved without any work from GF.

Vitacat

Because the guys who programmed Resident Evil revelations didn't work on it.

Seriously though, I believe the New 3DS at least could handle the addition of stereoscopic 3D. But why put the extra effort into that? It's Pokemon. It will sell the same numbers with or without that extra 5% effort. So they don't bother.

-Horizon-

Both X and OR i played had more stable framerates during battles. Better without the 3D of course. The top of the fps didn't raise a lot, but the bottom sure wasn't as low and frequent.
And that was achieved without any work from GF.
Then shame on game freak.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It really isn't. It's got an okay artstyle and its the first mainline Pokémon to do 3D environments like we've been used to in other games for the last 18 years affecting people's perception. 3DS launch games put it to shame for crimany's sake.

It's the pokemon models, they are too good for 3ds

Because Game Freak is a technically incompetent developer and, for some reason, Nintendo refuses to hold them to a higher standard for their headlining portable series.

They have a habit of just barely getting halfway familiar with the hardware they're developing for in its last year of life when the successor is on the horizon.
Happened on the GBA, happened on the DS, now it's the 3DS's turn.
Game Freak, Niantic... Somebody wants Pokémon to die, but it just won't.

BooJoh

If I had to guess, it's just a mix of two things:
1. GameFreak aren't that great at optimizing their games.
2. GameFreak care more about pushing the amount of detail they have onscreen.

In short, we lost 3D battles because of more detailed environments and in-battle trainers.

Atheerios

Oh, wait until you get to multi battles.

4 Pokémon + 4 trainer models on the screen at the same time.

It will be very funny.

Nightbird

They're not THAT detailed.

Detailed enough to be dropped into a game for the switch, and nobody would guess that its the same.

Don't forget that we are still talking about Hardware that is somewhere between the PS2 and GC in terms of power.

Edit: i now realized why they took away triple and rotation battles lol

Berordn

I don't think trainers and pokemon are ever on the battle screen at the same time.

There's at least two Z-moves where they are. If nothing else, trainers are loaded into memory and might be limiting how many resources they have to play with.

Welcome all the 3D bashing babies sounding off about a feature they don't ever use.

Stable 3D on N3DS is awesome and the games that use it well are amazing. I love it. If GameFreak could have gotten decent performance with 3D I wish that they would have included it.

3DS is weak ass hardware, end of story.

Gen VI was okay and Gen VII looks great so far, but I'm excited to see the Pokémon series grow on hardware that doesn't limit it so goddang much.

Mario Maker 3DS doesn't utilize the 3D slider either. It really doesn't matter at this point in the 3DS's life. Nobody cares about 3D anymore, and the 3DS will begin to be phased out going into year when the Switch is up and running

Top Bottom