• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Saganator

The ๖ۜBronx;245904972 said:
Survival if you want permadeath and a challenge, normal otherwise.

This is a little inaccurate. You can play survival without permadeath. There's Normal, Creative, Survival, and Permadeath modes. I recommend Survival.

daxy

Yeah, as someone looking to jump in after not having played since before all these big updates: What should I choose?

Do you want a chill exploration experience? - Normal
Do you want to actively wrestle with planetary ecosystems and have resource management dictate your strategies? - Survival

Would've been nice if normal was rebalanced to be a bit more challenging because, as it is, it's a bit too easy and doesn't really require you to do more than basic prep to go to harsh environments.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is a little inaccurate. You can play survival without permadeath. There's Normal, Creative, Survival, and Permadeath modes. I recommend Survival.

Ah, here we go. Normal is... normal, and includes all this new story stuff I'm guessing? Creative is just a sandbox for you to build shit in with unlimited resources? No story and stuff? Survival is Normal but harder? Permadeath is Survival but with permadeath?

Is this correct?

border

Currently 818K owners on Steamspy. With 34K players in the last week.

I will be curious to see how much this patch bumps up ownership and/or the size of the player base.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Do you want a chill exploration experience? - Normal
Do you want to actively wrestle with with planetary ecosystems and have resource management dictate your strategies? - Survival

Would've been nice is normal was rebalanced to be a bit more challenging because as it is, it's a bit too easy and doesn't really require you to do more than basic prep to go to harsh environments.

Yeah, I think I'll do Survival then. That's basically what I was originally hoping the game would be, but it was very unpunishing. It's the same as Normal other than that, or...?

Saganator

Ah, here we go. Normal is... normal, and includes all this new story stuff I'm guessing? Creative is just a sandbox for you to build shit in with unlimited resources? No story and stuff? Survival is Normal but harder? Permadeath is Survival but with permadeath?

Is this correct?

You got it. I'm pretty sure all modes have the new story stuff.

Thanks for clarifying, did they change that at some point to be separate as I thought Survival as perma. Might just be muddled up, it's been awhile since I started a new NMS save.

JP

I'm loving the update so far but there's a part of me that misses the simpler, flatter, more colourful textures that we had a year ago.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You got it. I'm pretty sure all modes have the new story stuff.

Cool, thanks. Permadeath might be fun to try out as well, but I think I'll make my new main run a Survival one then. Or is it much harder than Normal, to the point of it being annoying?

Freeman76

The new story stuff pops up when you load in, you dont have to start a new game. In fact, its better not to imo as you now have to repair a lot of the stuff you come across before you can access it (Beacons/Salvage etc) and that takes a lot of resources.

MADGAME

Hyperbole at its finest.

I can only think of one thing missing... sandworms. That's it. Do you have a more comprehensive list that the rest of us don't know about?
I'm not trying to bash here; I've owned the game since day 1. I felt burned after learning what I received for my money, but I am happy with the game in it's current state and this patch seems very cool. Just pointing out I can see why others are so bitter, just because the game is close to what was promised so long ago doesn't change what happened at launch. Many have moved on or sold the game, and to come back to the game now would actually be a re-purchase which is already ripping open an old wound. Even if the game is still owned, they are just now getting what was promised so long ago. Buy my game now, I'll give you the game I originally promised a year later.

Anyway to answer your question, didn't Sean once say the game can be completed entirely from space, without ever setting foot on a planet? Is that possible within the game? Even conceding that the player must get off their starting planet, can one make it to the center by trading and pirating in space only? I always thought that was a cool concept and would attempt such a playthrough if possible.

Going to be a long day waiting to get home to check this out, going to lean on GAF for some screens and updates!

Is this correct?
Survival is the same as Normal, just with tweaked values. Life support runs down faster, hazard protection as well, it cost more to launch your ship, etc. Also some differences such as your ship crashing on the planet if you get killed in a space battle.

Widge

Interesting. I find Normal enough of a harassment. Find resource for life support, find resource for fuel, find find find find. It's a constant enough pressure that stops me from just ambling about in a chill fashion.

JWiLL

Banned
I'm happy to see the support this game is getting! Sounds like the devs are putting in work to deliver even a year later, have to respect that.

That being said, I'm curious - has Sean Murray resurfaced at all lately? I looked a couple months back and still hadn't seen anything new from him.

He's likely on "No Man's Island" somewhere in the South Pacific on an extended vacation.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The new story stuff pops up when you load in, you dont have to start a new game. In fact, its better not to imo as you now have to repair a lot of the stuff you come across before you can access it (Beacons/Salvage etc) and that takes a lot of resources.

My save is from before they released the very first content update, so I'm pretty sure I have to restart? I don't see how that save could even be compatible with all the stuff that has changed.

Freeman76

The new inventory is great, gives us loads more room and larger stacks (even if its kust the extra 4 slot cargo tab) and the tech tab is a godsend!

daxy

Yeah, I think I'll do Survival then. That's basically what I was originally hoping the game would be, but it was very unpunishing. It's the same as Normal other than that, or...?

Same as normal. The key difference is survival adds a bunch of modifiers to damage, health, resource scarcity, environmental conditions that require you to play more thoughtfully. You won't be able to land on and freely explore just any planet if it's weather conditions are harsh and you don't have the resources to keep up with it. On normal, the weather/atmospheric condition is pretty much a non-factor most of the time. For example, if you're low on fuel and the planet is barren, it could take you a long time to get out of there so you have to plan for that. If the planet has harsh weather conditions too, you're basically fucked.

paulogy

I'm happy to see the support this game is getting! Sounds like the devs are putting in work to deliver even a year later, have to respect that.

That being said, I'm curious - has Sean Murray resurfaced at all lately? I looked a couple months back and still hadn't seen anything new from him.

He's likely on "No Man's Island" somewhere in the South Pacific on an extended vacation.

He gave a presentation at GDC in March:
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024514/Building-Worlds-Using

He has been retweeting (and now actually posting) things on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky

He wrote today's NMS post on the PS Blog:
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/08/11/introducing-no-mans-sky-atlas-rises/

Anyway to answer your question, didn't Sean once say the game can be completed entirely from space, without ever setting foot on a planet? Is that possible within the game?
No he said you could spend all of your time in space if you wanted to, but he wasn't sure why you would. The thing you're thinking of is travelling between stars purely by travelling through space, which isn't possible but may very well have been a gameplay choice in development.

All in all the game as it stands seems to be the base they were trying to achieve for launch. Not to say you shouldn't feel burned, just that they aren't far from what they showed. It's been long apparent that the crux of the issue was being far too open and hopeful publicly during development.

Giganteus

I've mostly just been flying around on a planet, taking in the new feel of the flight controls. Feels a lot better and less restrictive.

There are some really nice surprises here that weren't already leaked before:

- Improved scan ranges for resources on planets
- Added freighter classes
- Added ability to warp in your freighter
- Added ability to summon your ship from the quick menu
- Allowed player to remain in ship cockpit after landing
- Improved Pirate systems including the ability to negotiate or call in support
- Replaced all terrain textures with higher detail and quality variants
- Playstation 4 players can now adjust their field of view via the options menu

Can't wait to dig in. I think I'll load up my current save just to see how my base planet changed but I think I'll start off fresh for the story.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Same as normal. The key difference is survival adds a bunch of modifiers to damage, health, resource scarcity, environmental conditions that require you to play more thoughtfully. You won't be able to land on and freely explore just any planet if it's weather conditions are harsh and you don't have the resources to keep up with it. On normal, the weather is pretty much a non-factor most of the time.

Cool, that sounds like what I want. Dangerous planets and shit, having to actually fight for survival out in the cold, dark galaxy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've mostly just been flying around on a planet, taking in the new feel of the flight controls. Feels a lot better and less restrictive.

Can you fly your ship into the planet now? Or can you just get closer? The way it would push you away from the terrain never felt good.

belvedere

Junior Butler
At this rate the update won't be finished downloading until 3 hours after I get home from work. Do downloads still go faster in rest mode?

MADGAME

The ๖ۜBronx;245905678 said:
No he said you could spend all of your time in space if you wanted to, but he wasn't sure why you would. The thing you're thinking of is travelling between stars purely by travelling through space, which isn't possible but may very well have been a gameplay choice in development.

All in all the game as it stands seems to be the base they were trying to achieve for launch. Not to say you shouldn't feel burned, just that they aren't far from what they showed. It's been long apparent that the crux of the issue was being far too open and hopeful publicly during development.
I must be misremembering then. I could have sworn that was a topic of discussion in the threads leading up to launch but will take your word on it.

Really looking forward to trying this tonight and what the future holds for NMS.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The ๖ۜBronx;245905808 said:
Good luck, it's pretty tough starting out.

Hmm. Too tough? I mean, I have played the game for many hours back in its original state (although I never made it to the center), so I'm not new to it.

dWa0wK8.jpg

Putting Stargates into the game is one surefire way to get me to play again.

If I have a savegame from around the second or third day after launch, with 6-7 hours of playtime - do I delete it and start from scratch with this update?

Probably, right?

Top Bottom