• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Tigress

Do you want a chill exploration experience? - Normal
Do you want to actively wrestle with planetary ecosystems and have resource management dictate your strategies? - Survival

Would've been nice is normal was rebalanced to be a bit more challenging because, as it is, it's a bit too easy and doesn't really require you to do more than basic prep to go to harsh environments.

I would just be happy if you could find at least some paradise planets that aren't super aggro in survival. To me finding those planets used to be a reward for exploring but not now they are too annoying to deal with and definitely too annoying to actually stay and appreciate. But I really don't want an easy mode like normal is in game because I want it to be a challenge to be able to explore more.

Oh, and after watching a little of that twitch I take it back about mp. I'm glad it is an option (he showed you can turn it off) and even better glad voice chat is an option even if you want to play mp on.

theWB27

Diggin the star

zGX7NUz.jpg

OuterLimits

So does the new feature of calling your ship anywhere cost resources? Would make Survival super easy if it isn't expensive.

Downloading update now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I would just be happy if you could find at least some paradise planets that aren't super aggro in survival. To me finding Jose planets used to be a reward for exploring but not now they are too annoying to deal with and definitely too annoying to actually stay and appreciate. But I really don't want an easy mode like normal in is game because I want it to be a challenge to be able to explore more.

Yeah, this is what I want. A challenging experience where I can find a beautiful oasis of a planet as a reward every now and then. But it's not like that? Everything is aggro and out to kill you everywhere? Hmm, that doesn't sound too great.

daxy

I would just be happy if you could find at least some paradise planets that aren't super aggro in survival. To me finding those planets used to be a reward for exploring but not now they are too annoying to deal with and definitely too annoying to actually stay and appreciate. But I really don't want an easy mode like normal is in game because I want it to be a challenge to be able to explore more.

Oh, and after watching a little of that twitch I take it back about mp. I'm glad it is an option (he showed you can turn it off) and even better glad voice chat is an option even if you want to play mp on.

Yeah, this is what I want. A challenging experience where I can find a beautiful oasis of a planet as a reward every now and then. But it's not like that? Everything is aggro and out to kill you everywhere? Hmm, that doesn't sound too great.

Not everything is aggro, I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the paradise planets' sentinels only aggro when you collect those super precious materials?

Tigress

You can find non aggro planets. Just not the really pretty ones that have grass and seem to be paradise planets. I've heard some exist in survival that aren't aggro but I have never seen them yet. And it seems my experience is more the rule and the person who finds a non aggro paradise planet in survival is the exception.

8byte

Banned

It sounds like they changed it, so the planet generation is the same across all modes, so you won't run into those nice but super aggro planets anymore.

Saganator

Hmm. Too tough? I mean, I have played the game for many hours back in its original state (although I never made it to the center), so I'm not new to it.

I started a survival game last night and played for a couple hours, I died about 4 times while trying to get to my ship (you start about 12 minutes away from it). The hardest part for me was just remembering which materials I needed to keep me alive, and then finding them. Once I figured it all out, it wasn't too bad. You can't go wandering on a planet like on normal, you have to think about it.

In the patch notes, it says you start out with a Shield Shard which I imagine they added to make the start of Survival a little less harsh.

Tigress

Not everything is aggro, I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the paradise planets' sentinels only aggro when you collect those super precious materials?

Stay there long enough in their sights they get aggro (you have to keep moving, no staying and appreciating the scenery). Mine once and they catch you even if you lose them they will get aggro when they see you again (and they will because they now auto zoom right to you once they attack you move). You have to take off and find another spot to stop that cycle. It really is impossible to really enjoy the planet and even mine much because they will sense you are nearby and go straight to you so there is no way to stealth around them.

It's my major pet peeve with the game. Aggro planets aren't really hard but why are just annoying and not worth it. I think if he added a way to stealth around them that at least would add challenge and make them fun.

Tigress

It sounds like they changed it, so the planet generation is the same across all modes, so you won't run into those nice but super aggro planets anymore.

OMG I really really really hope that is what that means.

Now if only one patch he implements a stealth mechanic. That would make aggro planets fun even.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Guise, is rest mode downloading still faster or does it matter anymore?

10 hours on 100 Mbit, wtf PSN. Usually downloads move pretty fast for me.

MattAces

Played for 30+ minutes from beginning.
Fantastic QOL improvement. The quest log is a game changer here, definitely gives you a sense of direction and progression.
Also start to notice a lot of the items are quite meaningful now, they have their own use like Gek Charm and stuff.
Low flight is very sweet.
Learning language is also utilized very well now (maybe it was an update previously since I've missed out the last 2 updates)

Overall the menu, conversation and small improvement are what I'm noticing right off the start. The game definitely felt like there's a progression now unlike vanilla where you can do whatever from the beginning.

noomi

I put about 50 hours into the PC game upon release, I really liked it believe it or not. Happy to see they added so much content to the game over the course of a year.

I also bought the game on PS4 during a sale for like $10, I would be incredible happy if they at some point added cross-save between pc & ps4.

make it happen.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Guise, is rest mode downloading still faster or does it matter anymore?

10 hours on 100 Mbit, wtf PSN. Usually downloads move pretty fast for me.

I don't think that really matters, I think it's just a matter of luck with what data center you get connected to or whatever. I've been getting 10MB/s downloads from PSN lately, on a 100 Mbps connection, so pretty close to maxing it out.

OuterLimits

Lol no it wont, there are various other changes as well. They arent going to render a mode obselete.

If it's easy to call your ship anywhere on a planet, it will definitely make Survival less difficult. If you are struggling and in danger on a planet, just calling your ship solves that problem.

Rezbit

I'm only just messing around with the systems at the moment but initial impressions - damn guys, this might finally be No Man's Sky!

Salvatron

Constantly putting emphasis on the word "free" on updates to a game that nowhere near met it's expectations is a major turn off. Wow, fetch quests were added. Great Job!

noomi

So I guess since I haven't played for about a year would be to delete my save game and start fresh?

I understand there are 3 game modes now. Story, survival, and building right?

Does the main mode include base building, land vehicles...etc?

Ferr986

Honestly I only played normal (vanilla) and reading it I'm not sure if I would enjoy Survival.

Weather being more hazardous sounds like a plus compared to Normal, but at the same time being more grindy and sentiles being even more annoying... I dunno.

I would love to take a Normal with just the Survival weather hazards lol

Unai

You can find non aggro planets. Just not the really pretty ones that have grass and seem to be paradise planets. I've heard some exist in survival that aren't aggro but I have never seen them yet. And it seems my experience is more the rule and the person who finds a non aggro paradise planet in survival is the exception.

Well, one of the things of the new update is that the generation of the planets is equal in all modes, so hopefully that's not true anymore.

bosseye

Constantly putting emphasis on the word "free" on updates to a game that nowhere near met it's expectations is a major turn off. Wow, fetch quests were added. Great Job!

Yes, because that's all that's been added right?

It's worth stressing 'free' as the size of these updates could look like something that costs money, thats how much has been added/changed, regardless of whether the game met your expectations or not.

Gattsu25

Banned
Do you want a chill exploration experience? - Normal
Do you want to actively wrestle with planetary ecosystems and have resource management dictate your strategies? - Survival

Would've been nice if normal was rebalanced to be a bit more challenging because, as it is, it's a bit too easy and doesn't really require you to do more than basic prep to go to harsh environments.
Survival mode sounds like the fastest way to get me to swear off and begin hating the game.

I think this game works best as a Zen game. The mild-ish draining of the meters is one of the reasons why this is one of the only "Survival" games that I didn't immediately uninstall like all the others.

Thanks for the descriptions.

Top Bottom