• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Aenima

Sure? I've been on two of these planets with synthetic plants and shit and no signs of those nowhere. Even tried to scan for monoliths, marked me things off planet.

They all have it. Just borad on ur ship and fly around for a bit and u start find them. They dont seem to have any other building or monolits and stuff, but they also have base buildings. Only thing i found on those planets are those circular things and base buildings.

Tankshell

My terrain excavation at my base suddenly disappeared last night...

:(

Bug? Or is excavation temporary?

I thought stuff done inside your base boundary was permanent?

Yet another serious bug I'm afraid. It should be permanent. 1.33 patch supposedly 'improves' the saving/loading of modified terrain but doesn't completely guarantee your changes will be there when you come back, which is really annoying especially as it was a feature specifically highlighted in the launch trailer! :/

ultrazilla

Not sure if they can be activated, or be used to something or are just there for the lore, but they give great screenshots.

Weren't these the portals players will eventually be able to activate to fast travel to other planets/bases/space stations?

Weren't these the portals players will eventually be able to activate to fast travel to other planets/bases/space stations?
You can use the full portals to visit other planets by connecting to another portal on one.

jpg

eizarus

Banned
See if there are any gravitino balls there. Sounds like a similar planet I found where they were plentiful, granted that was last year after launch. Have fun exploring :D And post some pics!

Will do!

What's a good way to make money? I'm kinda just doing the main story quests at the moment.

Also, do we have anything about how long NMS will be supported by the devs like it currently is? Because it's actually pretty impressive just how much they've added in the past year.

What's a good way to make money? I'm kinda just doing the main story quests at the moment.

Farm living glass in your base. It sells for 700k.

Living glass needs: coprite x 50 gamma root x 400 frost crystals x 250

One plant of each gives you: 25 coprite in 30min, 50 gamma root in 30min, 50 frost crystals in 15min

So for one living glass in 30min you need: 2 coprite flowers, 8 gamma root flowers, 2,5 frost crystal flowers (so actually 3 and you'd need to harvest them exactly after 15min)

catilio

By the way, rockets ARE guided. But first you need to get the small moving circle to become red, like a regular flight sim

It happened to me that I got the blueprints for tge mining device that can be installed on an resources. But now i don't find de recipe anywhere. Could be that it can only be constructed in your base planet?

Aenima

Nop, the portals are diferent.

And the portals can already be activated, i have been doing some tests with the portal from my home planet.

So here is what i have found out so far. To activate a portal you need to charge it 1st, just like in the questline, after that u have an option to digit an adress (you need to find glyphs to digit the adress). I have found some planet adresses on the internet but they seem to be from other galaxy so my portal even recognising at a valid adress, it takes me to a random planet. The thing is this random planet seems to always be a planet that was discovered by someone else.
Also is not possible to summon ur ship from that planet, even claiming a base there and teloprting to a space station the ship will not appear in the space station, so only way out is back to the portal that will always stay open and marked on the compass.

More things i notice is that if u imput a random location the portal still opens and sends u to a random planet, but if u go back and place a diferent random adress it will always send u to the same planet u already visited, (probably only works if placing a valid planet adress from the same galaxy) and if u reload a save and charge the portal again, the portal will send u to a diferent random planet, always something discovered by someone else.

Also it seems the random planet u are teleported to is very close to the center of the galaxy, as i marked a waypoint to the planet i got teleported to, then whent back to my homeplanet and got on my ship and the distance to the center was almost the same as the distance to the waypoint i marked.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Anybody found any glyphs randomly? I got one, and I only got it from giving 100 Nanites to a
Traveller
on a space station.

the traveller revealed a location of a grave. i think thats the only way to do it other than "finding them in caves"

the guide gives info on some stuff

Grinchy

Banned
I'm playing on PS4 and my base isn't even intricate or anything and the game now comes to a hault (0 fps) multiple times when I fly to it. It's also become very common for it to not load a chunk of the ground as I get out of my ship so I fall through the world. Even if I hover over the ground for 20 seconds and wait in the ship after landing, it still happens sometimes. It's adding an all new level of tedium.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm playing on PS4 and my base isn't even intricate or anything and the game now comes to a hault (0 fps) multiple times when I fly to it. It's also become very common for it to not load a chunk of the ground as I get out of my ship so I fall through the world. Even if I hover over the ground for 20 seconds and wait in the ship after landing, it still happens sometimes. It's adding an all new level of tedium.

Starting to notice the same thing [PS4 Pro].

My base has only 4 cylindrical rooms and two storage units. Accessing storage somehow makes the game run at like 5 frames per second. There's a max of 5 items in that storage, for fuck's sake.

I also noticed the game starts having trouble rendering the world around my base in the way I left it. It sometimes resorts back to the default seed, trees and stuff I cleared will sometimes reappear, and disappear the next. It's weird.

Seiniyta

I tried both Big Things 3.0 and Shaidak's generation but ended up deleting both mods after trying them out separately. Although it's nice to have larger trees and such the way they are placed don't feel very natural yet. And with Shaidak's generation the problem is that it spawns trees and plants originally not found on that planet and it makes the planets look a bit more samey.

I got a refund on this game a week after it came out.

So it's worth the money now?

Yes, especially being that it's significantly cheaper than it was at launch. It still has a large number of bugs that are being worked out, but there is a lot more to do than there was at launch, planetary generation has been improved, there is more diversity of biomes and the graphics look better. If the concept interested you at all but you were let down by the bare-bones nature of the base game, it's worth taking another look at.

Grinchy

Banned
Starting to notice the same thing [PS4 Pro].

My base has only 4 cylindrical rooms and two storage units. Accessing storage somehow makes the game run at like 5 frames per second. There's a max of 5 items in that storage, for fuck's sake.

I also noticed the game starts having trouble rendering the world around my base in the way I left it. It sometimes resorts back to the default seed, trees and stuff I cleared will sometimes reappear, and disappear the next. It's weird.

Yeah I have exactly the same. Two storage units, four cylindrical rooms connected with hallways. I also have each of the 3 exocraft spawners. Accessing the storage units definitely causes the game to lock up a bit for me too.

I never really pay attention to whether the vegetation around me changes but I bet it's doing that. Sometimes it loads things in the area multiple times while I'm waiting to get out of my ship.

Mr Git

I laughed when the farmer gave me the mordite plant quest, I already had 30 mordite plants from before the latest update. I'd just got a decent farm for them going to make loads of money and now it seems mordite is a bit useless compared to how it was. Replacing all the plants with gamma root.

A_Dang

Playing on PS4, and the game just crashes every time I try to load it up. The initial crash happened while I was teleporting from a space station to my planet, or warping, I don't remember. Now, when ever I load up my save it will bring me through the title and galaxy while loading...and then crash.

Should I delete the game info and re-install? Wait for the next patch?

So I found a hexagon planet and it has these....

Story related?

They're from old concept art. Was very happy to see they finally made it in. The title of the artwork is "weather towers", but I don't know if that's what they ended up being. I haven't seen one for myself yet (and trying not to spoil myself on all the new things).

On a different note, it's really annoying that all the trading outposts are completely open-air. Forcing traders to run back to their ships when a bad storm rolls in is a fairly poor architectural and business decision.

I'd try first doing a full reboot of the PS4. Also, is this a pre-1.3 base? It might be worth building a new base somewhere else on the planet, it's possible the terrain regen didn't play nice with the geometry. Or at least least dismantle all your rooms and seeing if you're still getting the slowdown and geometry holes.

Mr Git

Yeah I have exactly the same. Two storage units, four cylindrical rooms connected with hallways. I also have each of the 3 exocraft spawners. Accessing the storage units definitely causes the game to lock up a bit for me too.

I never really pay attention to whether the vegetation around me changes but I bet it's doing that. Sometimes it loads things in the area multiple times while I'm waiting to get out of my ship.

I've noticed some drops and framerate hitches but nothing too egregious. I've got 6 storage units and quite a lot of base - about 7 cylindrical rooms as well as corridors and cuboid rooms. Only have two exocraft jobbies though. Aside from plants and the planters I have zero decorations though, maybe it's those?

Playing on PS4, and the game just crashes every time I try to load it up. The initial crash happened while I was teleporting from a space station to my planet, or warping, I don't remember. Now, when ever I load up my save it will bring me through the title and galaxy while loading...and then crash.

Should I delete the game info and re-install? Wait for the next patch?

I had that. I fixed it by loading a save file from survival mode then loading back the normal mode save that glitched out and it didnt crash.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn 52 pages.

Didn't get to play at all this weekend! :( I'm about to drive out to South Carolina to see the eclipse.

mokeyjoe

It was fine the first time, it was a soft reset. The second was absolutely necessary, the player base was almost nonexistent and it needed reviving. But now? How can you maintain a player base if you keep destroying player discoveries? If they can update it without changing anything, then fine. I'm not sure they could even push it further anyway. I just don't see it as acceptable anymore. They could add new galaxies or mix old and new, but just resetting it all again would be too much for a lot of people. Not to mention the amount of bugs it creates.Anything outside of terrain generation is a different matter entirely. They can be changed without messing with the worlds.

As a long term player I feel the opposite. They can wipe out what they want if it makes the game better. I'm more likely to stop playing from lack of new things to discover than the removal of the old stuff.

Even so, the terrain generation is actually pretty damn good as it is imo. Most of the improvements I'd like to see is in what sits on top of that. Plants, animals, water etc. I don't think it's a totally different matter though - change the animal generation and you're going to remove peoples' existing discoveries.

ParityBit

Damn 52 pages.

Didn't get to play at all this weekend! :( I'm about to drive out to South Carolina to see the eclipse.

I am on a week vacation in NH and am sitting on a nice deck looking at mountains, yet I have wish I could play! I am playing vicariously though my friends her in this thread :)

E92 M3

Unless I can cancel my old exocraft mission and start over, I'm screwed :(.

Also, any tips on the best way to get materials for circuit boards?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am on a week vacation in NH and am sitting on a nice deck looking at mountains, yet I have wish I could play! I am playing vicariously though my friends her in this thread :)
That'll be me while I'm not driving hehe.

I was hoping to get at least an hour or two in before hitting the road but nah. Oh well, tomorrow night when I'm back from a real-world celestial adventure.

After a decent chunk of time with the game, I have to say Atlas Rising really makes the game feel different, much more than Foundation and Pathfinder did. The two prior big patches added stuff that was neat, but it was kind of a "do the same stuff as before, but now you have a base and a car and more spaceships." Atlas Rising actually gives you some reasons to actually care about having that stuff. I bought NMS at launch and I've enjoyed it from the beginning, but this is a pretty dramatic change in the game. TBH I didn't think HG would be able to live up to the hype generated by Waking Titan but Atlas Rises really does deliver.

Now if they can just squash all the bugs and fix their horrendous UI....

Farm living glass in your base. It sells for 700k.

Living glass needs: coprite x 50 gamma root x 400 frost crystals x 250

One plant of each gives you: 25 coprite in 30min, 50 gamma root in 30min, 50 frost crystals in 15min

So for one living glass in 30min you need: 2 coprite flowers, 8 gamma root flowers, 2,5 frost crystal flowers (so actually 3 and you'd need to harvest them exactly after 15min)

Liquid Explosives can probably generate more money per hour depending on where your base is and how you want to play, as they are worth more per unit. Put your base on a desert planet, plant Fungal clusters and Mordite, then run around collecting cactus while your plants grow. Cactus takes a ridiculously long time to grow though so don't bother planting it, you're better off hunting for it. I don't like scavenging for materials though so living glass works out better for me as the grow times are relatively short and I can make a few with each harvest. Also if you put your base on a planet that lets you grow one of your farmed plants outside it'll save you some trouble.

As a long term player I feel the opposite. They can wipe out what they want if it makes the game better. I'm more likely to stop playing from lack of new things to discover than the removal of the old stuff.

Yeah, I think there's only a minority of players that really care about preserving past discoveries. Most of us are just looking forward to seeing the next one. It is a bit disappointing that I can't go visit old planets, but this game just requires a kind of zen buddhist detachment to let the universe regens happen. I will always prefer new or improved features over sticking around in the same universe because of nostalgia.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
The fucking inconsistency between the different point of interest's markers is driving me absolutely nuts. Jesus, I have NO IDEA what is supposed to be already discovered or not.

Like I will find some points of interest with a green "?" that stay that way after i've discovered them, while others are just a white bold point that are ALSO undiscovered shit that will stay that way after discovering them (although it would make much more sense to be that icon for all already discovered POI)... Help me understand GAF or tell me it's a bug because right now I seeli ke zero logic and coherence in those markers and check marks, I have no idea what is what in this game.

EDIT : ok, seems like it's bugged. Wheew, kinda reassures my OCD self.

I've played for about 20 hours now, and I'm kinda starting to feel aimless, I've just been concentrating on grinding nanite clusters to upgrade my suit resistances (I'm on survival so It's pretty much essential it seems) but now that I've got decent resistance I'm not...quite sure what to do next.

Mindlog

Question: Does cargo influence your ship value. Can you use this to your advantage when buying other ships?

My primary ship is worth ~50million with its upgrades, but I saw a value of 75million when I was swapping ships and cargo.
Damn 52 pages.

That was my exact plan, but something came up. Take pictures!

Reorganized all my cargo slots. Took a very long time for 10 vaults, 3 exocraft, 5 ships and a freighter. As my fungus farm comes online I will be slowly tearing down my current crops and base. Will have ~40 glass by the time the conversion is complete so going to turn that into living glass before I go hard on explosives. Planning to keep my current home system while I run missions and build up a massive supply of Living Glass, Pearls, Orbs and Explosives then start randomly jumping until I sell it all. Will probably double my credits then jump into the new story missions.

Giganteus

I just realized those little landing beacons at points of interest don't expend your launch thruster plutonium any time you takeoff from them. All this time I've been landing at random spots and wasting plutonium.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just realized those little landing beacons at points of interest don't expend your launch thruster plutonium any time you takeoff from them. All this time I've been landing at random spots and wasting plutonium.
Right, all trading posts, at least, have one. You can build them at your base as well I'm pretty sure.

Minamu

Liquid Explosives can probably generate more money per hour depending on where your base is and how you want to play, as they are worth more per unit. Put your base on a desert planet, plant Fungal clusters and Mordite, then run around collecting cactus while your plants grow. Cactus takes a ridiculously long time to grow though so don't bother planting it, you're better off hunting for it. I don't like scavenging for materials though so living glass works out better for me as the grow times are relatively short and I can make a few with each harvest. Also if you put your base on a planet that lets you grow one of your farmed plants outside it'll save you some trouble.
As I have understood it, the point of Living Glass is that you can construct biomes that don't require fuel, all while being worth 700k a piece.

Can someone explain the new glyphs to me? Is it like a new separate alphabet and once you've found one of each, you can activate any portal wherever, if you put them in the right order of course, or do you need to find them all on ONE planet per portal??

I've played for about 20 hours now, and I'm kinda starting to feel aimless, I've just been concentrating on grinding nanite clusters to upgrade my suit resistances (I'm on survival so It's pretty much essential it seems) but now that I've got decent resistance I'm not...quite sure what to do next.

Well if you need an aim, have you followed the new storyline? Or done the base building quests? Or you could save up money for a better ship, or a freighter, or take on missions from the guilds... it really depends on what appeals to you. I'd say the story questline has the most there for people who need a linear experience though.

As I have understood it, the point of Living Glass is that you can construct biomes that don't require fuel, all while being worth 700k a piece.

I wonder how much those glass domes add to base complexity. Seems like from the outside of your base it could drop the framerate if you have several of them. Assuming their engine even does occlusion on static model assets, that is.

I have been playing four or so hours now and the only thing I am struggling with is inventory management. I seem to be constantly running out of space. Should I be a) discarding just everything I don't need right now b) grinding for money to get a spaceship with more inventory space c) something else?

carlsojo

I have been playing four or so hours now and the only thing I am struggling with is inventory management. I seem to be constantly running out of space. Should I be a) discarding just everything I don't need right now b) grinding for money to get a spaceship with more inventory space c) something else?

You could be like me and find a dope crashed spaceship!

SJRB

Gold Member

Inventory management will allways stay problematic because the deeper you go in, the more types of resources you need on reserve to craft all the different things available.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh shit, the glass domes remove the need for fuel? I'll have to invest in those. That'd be so much nicer.

Mindlog

If it helps I have a max slot ship and pre-patch max slot suit and still run out of inventory space :]

I'm currently expanding my suit. I'm going to fill every empty slot on my other 4 ships and cargo with manufactured products.

Top Bottom