• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

So you can get around $40,000 every 3 or 4 minutes on the final mission for the technician. It's pretty boring, but it works. You can just keep replaying the final mission as much as you want it seems.

belvedere

Junior Butler
How do i get a grenade launcher i haven't found a blueprint seller of it yet or found one ingame.

I think an NPC offered me one for giving them an artifact and it already had the grenade launcher built in. Some of the ones you can buy from various buildings have them too.

Minamu

I wonder how much those glass domes add to base complexity. Seems like from the outside of your base it could drop the framerate if you have several of them. Assuming their engine even does occlusion on static model assets, that is.
No idea, given the really lousy Pro performance, I'd be surprised if they have any culling whatsoever to be honest. Sometimes it's like I'm on a ps3, no joke. My frame rate tanks to what feels like sub-20 as soon as there's any snow storm particles or more than 5-10 animals.

Oh shit, the glass domes remove the need for fuel? I'll have to invest in those. That'd be so much nicer.
That's what I've been told, haven't confirmed it myself, nor do I understand how it works :lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That's what I've been told, haven't confirmed it myself, nor do I understand how it works :lol
I'll try it out soon. I bought the blueprint, and almost have the resources to build one to try out.

How do i get a grenade launcher i haven't found a blueprint seller of it yet or found one ingame.
Is that the plasma bomb thing? I swear I saw it at a blueprint seller.

Been away camping, has 1.33 posted for PS4 yet?
Not yet.

mokeyjoe

I've played for about 20 hours now, and I'm kinda starting to feel aimless, I've just been concentrating on grinding nanite clusters to upgrade my suit resistances (I'm on survival so It's pretty much essential it seems) but now that I've got decent resistance I'm not...quite sure what to do next.

Have you done the main quest(s) and base quests already?

I have been playing four or so hours now and the only thing I am struggling with is inventory management. I seem to be constantly running out of space. Should I be a) discarding just everything I don't need right now b) grinding for money to get a spaceship with more inventory space c) something else?

Sell or dump anything you don't need for your current task. You can always find it again without much trouble. Having watched some streams of people playing I've noticed people hoard all kinds of useless crap for ages. You don't need to.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have been playing four or so hours now and the only thing I am struggling with is inventory management. I seem to be constantly running out of space. Should I be a) discarding just everything I don't need right now b) grinding for money to get a spaceship with more inventory space c) something else?
Go for drop pods to expand your exosuit storage. Great thing to do early on when you find a planet you are okay spending some time on.

Arukado

So you can get around $40,000 every 3 or 4 minutes on the final mission for the technician. It's pretty boring, but it works. You can just keep replaying the final mission as much as you want it seems.
Yep. I'm getting 52000 units per transaction, so thats about 500000 units per minute. Pretty good i might say.

Argh seemed to have hit a bug, I talked to a guy at a space station and he wants to be recruited (weapon tech). But I don't even have a base... the only option I have on his menu is "recruit", but it is grayed out (presumably because of lack of aforementioned base). There doesn't seem to be a way to get out of the dialog :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Argh seemed to have hit a bug, I talked to a guy at a space station and he wants to be recruited (weapon tech). But I don't even have a base... the only option I have on his menu is "recruit", but it is grayed out (presumably because of lack of aforementioned base). There doesn't seem to be a way to get out of the dialog :(
Whaaat. He doesn't have "refuse" or something as a dialog choice?

Unicorn

No idea, given the really lousy Pro performance, I'd be surprised if they have any culling whatsoever to be honest. Sometimes it's like I'm on a ps3, no joke. My frame rate tanks to what feels like sub-20 as soon as there's any snow storm particles or more than 5-10 animals.

Domes are amazing. 16 plants without need of refuel if you have them connected to a ladder below. Hallway removes 3 slots. Perfect for having Cactus growing while mold are planted outside on a toxic planet.

As a long term player I feel the opposite. They can wipe out what they want if it makes the game better. I'm more likely to stop playing from lack of new things to discover than the removal of the old stuff.

Even so, the terrain generation is actually pretty damn good as it is imo. Most of the improvements I'd like to see is in what sits on top of that. Plants, animals, water etc. I don't think it's a totally different matter though - change the animal generation and you're going to remove peoples' existing discoveries.

Animals aren't as bad, because they will only be improved. And the major objection is that the type of planets people picked are wiped out and (for me personally) those planets contain ghostly remnants of animals that don't exist on that planet. If it has to happen I would love to be able to delete or edit discoveries.

Majmun

Bought this game during the deal period. But I don't know if I should start playing now or wait for the next big update.

DeaDPo0L84

So i made a 10% faster mining speed mod, not sure how to equip it though cause my actual mining bonus on my gun didn't upgrade.

I've played for about 20 hours now, and I'm kinda starting to feel aimless, I've just been concentrating on grinding nanite clusters to upgrade my suit resistances (I'm on survival so It's pretty much essential it seems) but now that I've got decent resistance I'm not...quite sure what to do next.

What about the two paths and the awakening storyline?

Some growing info. Domes = no fuel and grow as fast as trays with fuel. 16 growing spaces per dome as long as you avoid doors and use ladders to get in. Trays with no fuel grow much slower and even if you dont use fuel you will tend to click to add fuel when trying to harvest in a hurry. Well you will if you are as crap at aiming as me anyway.

I did some tests with frostwort.

Dome time 15 mins
Tray time (fuel) 15 mins
tray time (no fuel) aprox 4 hrs!

So anyway that's 2 crops per hour of living glass as the frostwort is 2 times as fast as the rest.. 1 unit per dome. I havn't timed the explosive crop I just remember it as slower.

As for the framerates with all that glass. Seems fine. Not noticeably worse than normal anyway and normal can be shitty now on the pro so....... whatever.

Aenima

I now can confirm that travelers that appear in planets, can also point out the location of a grave with a Glyph.

Was searching in my home planet for a crashed ship, landed on a trade station and there was a Traveller there.

(First few hours story spoilers)

Wasn't sure what to expect when I
trusted Apollo's friend to choose my first base
. Needless to say I'm really glad I did lol.

Do you always get a Paradise Moon from it?

LnmJGfb.jpg

t7829qk.jpg

sDzgu99.jpg

Excuse the vignette as well. Seemed it didn't save and I was too excited when I took them lol.

Edit: The water is so blue!

I'm really enjoying the update - this is the longest I've spent with the game since launch - but man is it frustrating that markers (both player-set and ones the game sets for you) continue to be glitchy and annoying.

I always warn people away from using money exploits like this (and there's been many since launch). Ultimately one of the major points of progression in this game is making money to buy more stuff, and when you take away that tension in the gameplay loop, part of the reason to keep playing for some people falls apart.

It's pretty good on the base PS4 with locked framerate, but it hasn't really been locked 30 anymore in 1.3, there's definitely performance work to be done. They've had a lot of benefits for building their own engine from scratch... customized to their purpose, full source code access... but engine optimization (or lack thereof) is probably a downside. They've done a great job in optimizing to be honest, but it does feel like there is more to be done there. I was hoping they'd move some of the terrain gen to the GPU, but I don't think that's been done.

I just beat it how do I do it again? It was easy.

Easy? Come on now. 5 Sentinel ships plus a battleship, all coming at you at the same time? As I posted previously, I tried 6 times before I gave up, and I have a fairly upgraded ship. What was your tactic for beating them?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but have they done anything to change the fact that seemingly every planet you visit is a boring, ugly dump, just in a different combo of colours, in any of the updates since launch? For all its issues that is what annoyed me the most.

Easy? Come on now. 5 Sentinel ships plus a battleship, all coming at you at the same time? As I posted previously, I tried 6 times before I gave up, and I have a fairly upgraded ship. What was your tactic for beating them?

I did it in the starting ship. Only 3 sentinels were required and yeah it was easy.

mokeyjoe

I always warn people away from using money exploits like this (and there's been many since launch). Ultimately one of the major points of progression in this game is making money to buy more stuff, and when you take away that tension in the gameplay loop, part of the reason to keep playing for some people falls apart.

I agree, but 10000 a minute isn't even that much money. You can get that mining Emeril.

My base is on a vortex cube world with 6 outside my front door that respawn every time I teleport back in. Now that's money.

E92 M3

It's pretty good on the base PS4 with locked framerate, but it hasn't really been locked 30 anymore in 1.3, there's definitely performance work to be done. They've had a lot of benefits for building their own engine from scratch... customized to their purpose, full source code access... but engine optimization (or lack thereof) is probably a downside. They've done a great job in optimizing to be honest, but it does feel like there is more to be done there. I was hoping they'd move some of the terrain gen to the GPU, but I don't think that's been done.

I didn't fight near the freighter. I have an old C ship from launch. What was the reward ny the way?

Anyone else experiencing rubber banding? I just experienced the worst one that threw me miles back when I found a pod with an exosuit upgrade. It threw me back and then the pod was gone. Very weird, but Im betting it has something to do with the procedural generation.

Anyone else experiencing rubber banding? I just experienced the worst one that threw me miles back when I found a pod with an exosuit upgrade. It threw me back and then the pod was gone. Very weird, but Im betting it has something to do with the procedural generation.

yes several times on ps4 pro. I will be flying along and it'll start throwing me back and forward like crazy for a few seconds.

Minamu

Some growing info. Domes = no fuel and grow as fast as trays with fuel. 16 growing spaces per dome as long as you avoid doors and use ladders to get in. Trays with no fuel grow much slower and even if you dont use fuel you will tend to click to add fuel when trying to harvest in a hurry. Well you will if you are as crap at aiming as me anyway.

Dome time 15 mins
Tray time (fuel) 15 mins
tray time (no fuel) dunno yet. Long damn time.

So anyway that's 2 crops per hour of living glass as the frostwort is 2 times as fast as the rest.. 1 unit per dome. I havn't timed the explosive crop I just remember it as slower.

As for the framerates with all that glass. Seems fine. Not noticeably worse than normal anyway and normal can be shitty now on the pro so....... whatever.
That's awesome info. One day!

I can't go back to locked, it feels terrible :) I shouldn't have to either imo. Something has definitely regressed in the latest patches for sure. I wish there was a frame rate counter built into the ps4 somehow, I can't tell if it's actually dropping or just frame pacing issues, but sometimes even walking around in an empty space station is enough to create stuttering.

The only time I've heard of this happening was when people would try to walk around a planet back at launch. Eventually the coordinate system would freak out.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Anyone know if the 1.33 patch fixes the base blueprints not showing as purchased in the merchant menu? Super minor issue, but it'd be nice to get that fixed.

Oh, and I'm pissed. A dream ship landed at my base and I was 6m units short. An A-class fighter, 38 slots, with 12 tech slots. I better see it again! Only bummer was the slot layout precludes you from lining up mods with the deflector shield, so you can't get the bonuses.

Dome time 15 mins
Tray time (fuel) 15 mins
tray time (no fuel) dunno yet. Long damn time.

Yeah, I just built my first dome and it's a game changer. Carefree farming is the way to go.

Now I'm thinking about how to restructure my whole base around the domes, and probably building something above ground.

Oh, and I'm pissed. A dream ship landed at my base and I was 6m units short. An A-class fighter, 38 slots, with 12 tech slots. I better see it again! Only bummer was the slot layout precludes you from lining up mods with the deflector shield, so you can't get the bonuses.

It will be back. The same ships land at your base repeatedly. Getting the exact config again could take a while though as it's random luck.

13ruce

Banned
I think an NPC offered me one for giving them an artifact and it already had the grenade launcher built in. Some of the ones you can buy from various buildings have them too.
Thanks i will look around more currently 30 hours into survival and never got it in someway.

Is that the plasma bomb thing? I swear I saw it at a blueprint seller.

Yup and hmmm guess i will just keep checking those in star systems where the weapon blueprint dealer is.

Hopefully i will get it soon:p wanna blow up some stuff.

Rizzi

How does the PS4 version run on the Pro? I keep getting really awful performance on the PC version and it's driving me crazy.

Top Bottom