• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

The ๖ۜBronx;246635994 said:
To be fair you have Normal or Creative if you want to be able to have more freedom of exploration on planets. Nice shots though, I'm also appreciating the upgraded grass, looks so nice.

Yeah, but give us a chance of finding a lush planet without extreme sentinels. Like a 1/100 chance or something. Throw us a bone here, HG.

E92 M3

Man, HG really upped their grass game didn't they?
If only they'd let us enjoy it more on survival/permadeath.....

91XtOIB.jpg

4AiU7gh.jpg

I'd like to have larger grass draw distance. Love it, though.

Ravelle

The 3D objects within menus (like the exosuit, ship and freighter models) have always been blurry like that, I'm guessing they're just rendered at a lower resolution (as in, they're blurry on 1080p as well), but everything else should be at your correct resolution (don't know about 1440p text though since I've never played the game at resolutions higher than 1080p).

Aw, bummer. The rest of the game looks fine yeah, it's just the low res objects driving me nuts.

NotSelf

Yeah, but give us a chance of finding a lush planet without extreme sentinels. Like a 1/100 chance or something. Throw us a bone here, HG.

I have yet to find one with extreme sentinels that's every planet that I visited which has star bulb growing guess i'm just lucky on PS4 by the way.

E92 M3

I'd like them to make it harder to fly out of the planet. The transition from land to space is way too short compared to entering it.

Unicorn

As far as the full foliage grass goes I have not seen any rotating grass. Leaves and sprouts and cave moss are still billboard sprites, but they listened and none of the full-fledged grass rotates. Put another 40+ hours in and I have yet to see it.

Kudos Hello Games.

E92 M3

As far as the full foliage grass goes I have not seen any rotating grass. Leaves and sprouts and cave moss are still billboard sprites, but they listened and none of the full-fledged grass rotates. Put another 40+ hurts in and I have yet to see it.

Kudos Hello Games.

Can't wait to see the improvements in the next update. They must be on cloud 9 at HG.

Tankshell

Rage quit and deleted my save file a few nights ago because of all the game breaking bugs. Have since restarted (1.33 experimental branch) and now have a 45 slot ship hauler(after randomly stumbling on a crashed ship) worth 18 million, a 20 slot multi tool and found the perfect 'holiday destination' style home planet all within the first 5 hours, which is more than I accomplished in my previous 40 hours of playtime. RNG gods, thank you.

E92 M3

Rage quit and deleted my save file a few nights ago because of all the game breaking bugs. Have since restarted (1.33 experimental branch) and now have a 45 slot ship hauler(after randomly stumbling on a crashed ship) worth 18 million, a 20 slot multi tool and found the perfect 'holiday destination' style home planet all within the first 5 hours, which is more than I accomplished in my previous 40 hours of playtime. RNG gods, thank you.

The game wanted you back.

As far as the full foliage grass goes I have not seen any rotating grass. Leaves and sprouts and cave moss are still billboard sprites, but they listened and none of the full-fledged grass rotates. Put another 40+ hours in and I have yet to see it.

Kudos Hello Games.

Hah that's right, I forgot about the rotating grass sprites. Did that go away in an earlier update, or 1.3? It's amazing how much work they've done to improve the visuals since launch.

I think the rotating sprite grass was from using a 3rd party library? I wonder if they've ditched that and written their own in-engine grass renderer. It looks fantastic now, especially the way the sunlight reflects on certain blades.

Unicorn

Hah that's right, I forgot about the rotating grass sprites. Did that go away in an earlier update, or 1.3? It's amazing how much work they've done to improve the visuals since launch.

I think the rotating sprite grass was from using a 3rd party library? I wonder if they've ditched that and written their own in-engine grass renderer. It looks fantastic now, especially the way the sunlight reflects on certain blades.
Definitely new to this update. Previously there were some grass that rotated and some that were static yard cross-hatched.

magawolaz

Kudos Hello Games.
Full fledged grass has always been still. It ws just this kind of things that rotated (they still do)

Unicorn

Full fledged grass has always been still. It ws just this kind of things that rotated (they still do)
Nah, there was the full grass textures that would rotate. Again, only certain kinds on some planets. Was inconsistent so some players didn't see or didn't notice when it did and did not rotate. And yeah, those sprouts still and always have rotated.

Almost everything about this game sounds like grating, harsh, annoying, buzzy, hummy, droning, shrill, warbly garbage. At least the music you can mute and replace with whatever you want on Spotify. Helps a lot. But you can't replace the sound effects.

The game sounds like the opposite of what I expect and want from a space explorationy thing. It annoys and agitates me. Worst sounding game I've ever experienced. It's so bad. Think I might mute it all. And it's not just me. The warp drive sound made my cat want to go hide under the couch.

Then there's the awful performance on PS4 Pro (which forces one to change to 1080p on a system level) and the ridiculous input lag. Another worst I've ever experienced. Feels and looks like 500ms. Every time I start the game up I have to wiggle the stick around a bit as I marvel in disgust. The second it seems like combat is necessary, I'm out. Unless it's a giant asteroid or stationary resource deposit, I ain't hitting shit in this game.

But aside from it being kind of a miserable experience it's alright I guess.
Can't imagine what it was like before this new patch that fixed the game.

So whenever I try to activate the distress beacon at the start of the awakening story (like right after getting off the first planet), the game freezes/crashes either when it's zooming out up high or zooming in. Is this a common bug? Anything I can do to avoid this happening? I've tried like 10 times now.

I quite like the game but I would hope to advance further in the story than one mission/quest. Playing on base PS4.

Unicorn

Almost everything about this game sounds like grating, harsh, annoying, buzzy, hummy, droning, shrill, warbly garbage. At least the music you can mute and replace with whatever you want on Spotify. Helps a lot. But you can't replace the sound effects.

The game sounds like the opposite of what I expect and want from a space explorationy thing. It annoys and agitates me. Worst sounding game I've ever experienced. It's so bad. Think I might mute it all. And it's not just me. The warp drive sound made my cat want to go hide under the couch.

Then there's the awful performance on PS4 Pro (which forces one to change to 1080p on a system level) and the ridiculous input lag. Another worst I've ever experienced. Feels and looks like 500ms. Every time I start the game up I have to wiggle the stick around a bit as I marvel in disgust. The second it seems like combat is necessary, I'm out. Unless it's a giant asteroid or stationary resource deposit, I ain't hitting shit in this game.

I agree with sound and controls. I play mostly muted and controls feel like pulling through molasses. Animal sounds have been improved. Initially they were all high-pitched screeching terrors.

belvedere

Junior Butler

I don't think I could disagree more. Sure there's repetitive sounds that can get annoying but that's not an issue exclusive to this title. The music and general timing of the music around important events is brilliant. Desolate planets are eerily quiet and I was just on a planet with hundreds of creatures running around and it was noisy. The sound of toxic rain on the cockpit of your ship or inside your base somehow make you feel a bit cozy knowing how chaotic it is outside. And I'm not sure if it was introduced in 1.3 but you can even hear thunder now. To me, I find the menu interaction sounds unique and sci-fi.

The music in the game is amazing on its own as well and I think is one of the main reasons this game stands out so much for me. Moody music plays at very specific time and typically perfectly lends itself to whatever situation you're in. The softer piano-centric songs are great and the 65dos songs are so good I listen to the soundtrack at work. Its perfect "focus" music.

The first time you reach a space station and you hear Asimov was an awesome moment and there's hundreds like it in this game.

Kudos Hello Games.
Rotating grass is definitely still a thing, not sure how you haven't seen any.

There is actually a 3d cross-shaped grass model (2 intersected planes) that rotates, which makes absolutely no sense lol.

the new grass models that don't rotate and aren't just a couple of flat planes intersected do look really good though

Couldn't disagree more, especially with regard to the music. Perhaps a handful of effects I dislike otherwise I like them for the most part and appreciate the minor sounds as well, from rain and wet footsteps to the soft howling around you on low atmosphere planets.

Orbis

Decided to kill my save and try this new patch (and basically everything from the other big patch). Really enjoying it so far, I guess the main way to summarise how it feels different now is, there seems to be more to keep me occupied. I never felt the urge to progress to the centre of the galaxy before, now I don't have to force myself to. I've been slowly working on my base, getting a rover, taking on random missions, building up some cash, crafting my first couple of warp cells. Before it was literally 100% about moving towards the centre and I just burnt out on it.

Also visually it's a treat. I've bumped up the FOV and the HDR is gorgeous on PS4 Pro. I'm just generally enjoying it a whole lot more, feels a lot close to what I expected it to be like at launch.

mokeyjoe

The ๖ۜBronx;246645348 said:
Couldn't disagree more, especially with regard to the music. Perhaps a handful of effects I dislike otherwise I like them for the most part and appreciate the minor sounds as well, from rain and wet footsteps to the soft howling around you on low atmosphere planets.

Yes, the sound is very good and the music excellent. I would like to listen to Spotify when playing but I don't want to turn off the music, lol.

How do you guys approach naming stuff? Do you keep the defaults, or make up your own?

For me:
Systems - Name them - usually quite generic like "Equinox Cluster"
Planets - Name them, typically something that sounds like the vibe they give off
Waypoints - Name them, usually something like "Gwendolyn's Final Stand" or "Parting of the Nine" so it feels like there's some past story attached to the area.
Animals - Upload as-is
Plants - Upload as-is

I sometimes interject some personal lore in there as well with planets like "ARK-003" if it's a desolate ice planet. I like to think that a civilization was once tried to find safety in the stars but ended up in desolate wastes. Yeh, there's kind of two lores running parallel for me in this game lol.

Yes, the sound is very good and the music excellent. I would like to listen to Spotify when playing but I don't want to turn off the music, lol.

I listen to the OST on Spotify at work lol. I love its atmosphere.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there no way to see if you've been to a system before on the galactic map?

The galactic map (and the game in general) has always done a poor job at making the player aware of their surroundings and sucks at orientation. The idea I guess was that certain things weren't really needed because the player was encouraged to never stay in one place. And for the most part, every place is the same as every other, so no need to know where you were etc. The updates are slowly changing that, and the galactic map got more detailed and a bit more functional, and I suspect they'll update it even further, but for now, it is what it is.

The only way to see your previous visited systems is via the Discoveries screen, where you can pin a system/planet as a custom waypoint that will be visible on the galactic map when you choose the custom waypoint filter. Doesn't really help with the spatial awareness of the locations you've been to, not to mention you kinda need to remember the awkward procedurally generated names, so it's all not that helpful, unfortunately.

Are you talking about the last dialogue not triggering? Because I just had this happening to me and I'm sitting here googling a solution, lol.

I remember others having this problem but I didn't investigate further cause I didn't want to get spoiled. Is there a fix?

EDIT: apparently you just needed to go to the following Atlas station. Pretty unintuitive, but okay

I had it bug out while also doing the last section of the main story ever since I completed the main story, the Atlas interfaces have worked for me.

I'm wondering if there is some alternative dialogue that is supposed to trigger when you are on that questline, and the triggers are conflicting.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What's the reward for the final armorer's mission? The dialogue sequence seemed a little different than the end of most missions, so I just want to confirm I didn't miss something.
I seemed to just get a huge batch of nanites, no blueprint.
Is that right?

mokeyjoe

I had it bug out while also doing the last section of the main story ever since I completed the main story, the Atlas interfaces have worked for me.

I'm wondering if there is some alternative dialogue that is supposed to trigger when you are on that questline, and the triggers are conflicting.

I went to an Atlas station and could t interact with it, so I went to another and it worked fine. Don't think I did anything else in between either, just seemed like a bugged station.

The music in the game is amazing on its own as well and I think is one of the main reasons this game stands out so much for me. Moody music plays at very specific time and typically perfectly lends itself to whatever situation you're in. The softer piano-centric songs are great and the 65dos songs are so good I listen to the soundtrack at work. Its perfect "focus" music.

Yeah, the soundtrack is brilliant and I can't imagine turning it off to listen to a linear Spotify playlist. The generative music system is a character in the game. To turn it off is to take part of the game away, IMO at least.

The animal sounds are pretty terrible and obnoxious though. It was a cool tech experiment, but it didn't really work out in practice. Maybe if they had spent more time modeling animal vocalizations and doing procedural generation off of those template types it could work.

The ๖ۜBronx;246648844 said:
How do you guys approach naming stuff? Do you keep the defaults, or make up your own?

For me:
Planets - Name them, typically something that sounds like the vibe they give off
Waypoints - Name them, usually something like "Gwendolyn's Final Stand" or "Parting of the Nine" so it feels like there's some past story attached to the area.
Animals - Upload as-is
Plants - Upload as-is

I name Systems after cocktails, usually based on the color of the nebula. Planets for their mood, visual aesthetic, and environment. For both systems and planets I have a kind of distinct language flavor I use for the names depending on the primary race of the system. Animals only when I have a significant interaction with them. The rest I just upload as-is.

For me:
Animals - Upload as-is
Plants - Upload as-is

I sometimes interject some personal lore in there as well with planets like "ARK-003" if it's a desolate ice planet. I like to think that a civilization was once tried to find safety in the stars but ended up in desolate wastes. Yeh, there's kind of two lores running parallel for me in this game lol.

I play on PC, but I'm using a controller playing on the TV in the living room 90% of the time I'm doing any proper exploration, and entering words with a controller is annoying. So, most of the stuff, I just upload as is. Then again, I'm also in the GOG standalone version so NO ONE else will ever see anything I do, which offers me zero incentive to name things. The exceptions for me are planets that have an abundance of a critical or useful resource. I've had a couple of planets named "Tho Much Thamium" or "BALLS BALLS BALLS" in my travels. And those were pre-1.3, so they probably don't even have those resources anymore.

Unique plants on cold planets. Looks for planets that list frost crystal as a resource.

Also, after you've collected at least 100, you can start growing them in your farm, and they're the fastest growing resource in the game. If you can, get at least 400 or so, start a farm of 4 plants, harvest every 15 minutes and reinvest the harvest into planting more; soon you'll have an abundance of the stuff. Good to keep around since they're used for glass and such.

MaKTaiL

I'd like them to make it harder to fly out of the planet. The transition from land to space is way too short compared to entering it.

It depends on the planet. Some have large atmosphere and others have really thin or non-existant ones.

Well this page has cetainly confused me. If anyone had asked me what the best parts of the game were, I would say the sound design (minus the animal noises, which even it's creator hates) and the galactic map.

The only thing that could make it more perfect is if the system selecter was a bit slower.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

For me:
Animals - Upload as-is
Plants - Upload as-is
Systems: Typically either based somewhat on the circumstances of my arrival (systems along ordained Atlas paths are just "Atlas Waypoint Alpha" and so on, systems on the far end of a black hole I name "_____ Landing" with the blank whatever I named the black hole) or something based on the general color palette of the surroundings/nebula, or if I spend some time there before naming it, something that captures the overall vibe or value of the system to travelers
Planets: something that captures the general vibe of the planet, typically climate wise or a really distinct visual metaphor, but if there is a particularly rare resource or commodity I try to work this into the name to be helpful to fellow travelers
Waypoints: upload as is, I don't think I've ever renamed a single one
Animals: uniquely name every single species either based on their physical attributes, monitoring their behavior (especially if they're cute-but-vicious or menacing-yet-docile), or my extrapolation of how they evolved/survived in whatever ridiculous conditions I may have found them
Plants: typically upload as-is unless they are very visually striking and comprise much of the landscape of a planet

I also put a lot of thought into naming ships/freighters.
Same

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sound design and 65days stuff are among the best aspects of the game and unreal for such a tiny studio.

The sound of a freighter fleet warping in unexpectedly nearby always gets me amped. I can hear it in my head right now.

Sound design and 65days stuff are among the best aspects of the game and unreal for such a tiny studio.

The sound of a freighter fleet warping in unexpectedly nearby always gets me amped. I can hear it in my head right now.

It does sound like Thunder crashing and is always a sight to see.

Unicorn

Rotating grass is definitely still a thing, not sure how you haven't seen any.

There is actually a 3d cross-shaped grass model (2 intersected planes) that rotates, which makes absolutely no sense lol.

the new grass models that don't rotate and aren't just a couple of flat planes intersected do look really good though
Oh lol! I'm an example of my own follow up statement LOL

Tumle

Unique plants on cold planets. Looks for planets that list frost crystal as a resource.
Ok thanks :)
And thanks to the guy underneath also:)
Do you need the hasmat gloves to collect them?
Because I'm still looking for a v'ekeen for my shelter :)

spad3

The ๖ۜBronx;246636284 said:
21:9 UI is still stretched.

That's some
fuckin
got-dam
bullshit
nonsense. The one game that would make amazing use of multiple screens has the entire experience ruined by
batshit
stupid / borderline unplayable UI.

I love the game, but c'mon guys. It's a UI. It's basic wumbology.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Only by going g to your discovery tab I believe. However it could also show you more info on the bottom left if you've been there before but not 100% sure.

Ok that's what I've been doing. Stating the obvious, but it sure would be nice to see if you've discovered the system from the galactic map description.

I have a bit of a technical question.

I'm running the game on 1440p and have everything on it's highest settings but it seems the in-game resolution doesn't really chance for some reason, text is still blurry and objects in menu's when examining them, like the model of your ship, exosuit and crates and other objects you interact with are all a low resolution, un-antialiased edgy mess.

I hoped the new update would have corrected this but it still seems like the resolution option is an illusion.

I'm assuming you use 1440p native? If you have TAA enabled it adds a lot of blur. You need to offset it with LumaSharpen in ReShade:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqbftxxk6pa3qy8/NMS ReShade.zip?dl=0 (instructions included)

The game also uses Radial Blur, independent from motion blur, that can't be disabled. Which means everytime you move your character or the camera you get a little bit of blurring.

If you use 1440p DSR that will add even more blur. BTW, DSR doesn't work with Borderless so even if your res is set to 1440p it will render at 1080p.

Last night I had enough of setting up my farm and decided to warp to another system and do some exploring, I'd been just using the space station warps.

How the hell do I use the galaxy map? I could only select destinations via the free roam option, none of the other options let me do anything other than shift the camera around. I must be missing something here.

Unicorn

So, to get an actual hyperdrive (and not just the expansions) I need to buy a new freighter post 1.3?

Ugh. I haven't even seen any new cool models. Wish they were different procedurally like ships.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ok thanks :)
And thanks to the guy underneath also:)
Do you need the hasmat gloves to collect them?
Because I'm still looking for a v'ekeen for my shelter :)
Oh right, yes you do. Forgot about that.

Top Bottom