• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

JoeBoy101

Would now be a good time to jump into this game on Steam? I think it might, although I could wait for further updates.

This will probably be the first game I'll play on my new laptop that'll flex it's GTX 1060 at Ultra settings. excited

For $24? Yeah. It's worth it for that, even before this update. Before getting my hands on the newest update, I put it's value proposition right around $25-$30 (pre-patches I had it around $15). With this new patch, it seems like an easy $10 to $15 gain, with potential for more.

That all said, I doubt you'll see it get under $24, so its a good time to pull the trigger. You could wait for more updates, but they're going to be updating this game for either years or until they close.

Lan_97 said:
So I haven't played since the first few weeks after maxing out my ship/suit/gun. Is it feasible to pickup up where I left off and experience all the new stuff or would I have to start from scratch?

Based on the patch notes, I'd recommend people restart if they can stomach losing the progress. The game does convert your save game from where its at, but it sounds like bases and employees are glitching from it. Plus it will regenerate (aka recreate) some planets you previously discovered. Better to just start cold, IMO. I'm going to be losing more than a few hours too (little over 20 I think), but with the story enhancements, I'd like the intended plot line course.

Lan_97

So I haven't played since the first few weeks after maxing out my ship/suit/gun. Is it feasible to pickup where I left off and experience all the new stuff or would I have to start from scratch?

No Man's Sky is fixing its issues via free updates, whereas Destiny did it by addressing issues in its (paid for) expansion packs.

Obviously there are other differences but that's one factor for sure.

Another point : Destiny was still fun broken. No Man's Sky was not.

Flipyap

Wow just wow.

Decided to start a new base since I was told everything was refunded (or at least mostly) and that all the stuff in your banks would be to.

NOPE.

Lost everything in my storage containers.

Just wonderful. This update has been one kick to the balls after another.
Stuff in storage doesn't get refunded, it stays in storage. Have you built new containers?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
played about an hour until I got off the first planet after all the repairs and shit.

I liked it. Quite a bit in fact. /shrug

how do you get in space stations, I ran into one but it was a solid black block and I saw no entrances :(

JoeBoy101

Did you read his post or were you so happy to shut down criticism that you forgot what context was?

Yeah, I got to agree with your sentiment there. Losing progress is never fun and amplified with how long you put into it. I'm loving what I'm seeing with the patch, but can empathize with Kalentan's position.

belvedere said:
Awesome. So how many days do us PS owners have to wait on certification?

Pretty sure that PS owners got the patch first. Or are you talking about the patch to the patch?

Rahknar said:
how do you get in space stations, I ran into one but it was a solid black block and I saw no entrances :(

Its there, its just small considering the overall size of the station. Look for a beam of blue light from one of the sides. That's the hangar bay.

Are you on creative mode too? How are people activating portals everywhere.

No. My old normal save.

Slight gameplay spoiler:

During the main storyline, you get a mission to search for something. To find it you need to activate a Portal. However, this one was activated for story purposes on its own, without much input from me.

Mathieran

Banned
Whew this patch certainly exceeded my expectations. Sounds pretty enjoyable so far. I think I'm gonna wait a week or two before trying it, so they can have a chance to iron out some of the bugs.

Wow just wow.

Decided to start a new base since I was told everything was refunded (or at least mostly) and that all the stuff in your banks would be to.

NOPE.

Lost everything in my storage containers.

Just wonderful. This update has been one kick to the balls after another.

If you place the storage containers back down your stuff should still be inside.

belvedere

Junior Butler
i have it on PS4 too and the update downloaded earlier for me. in fact i played 1.3 on PS4 before i even bought the PC version :)

Yeah, sorry didn't mean the main 1.3 patch. There's been an incremental patch with fixes already on PC. Was wondering how long us PS users would have to wait.

Has NMS fixed their soiled reputation with this update?

Ask one of the other unimaginative tourists who've already posted the exact same, incoherent thing!

13ruce

Banned
I am at home time to put the disc in my ps4 and instal + update.

Going to visit my father for a few hours first anyway can't wait to play after!

Yeah, sorry didn't mean the main 1.3 patch. There's been an incremental patch with fixes already on PC. Was wondering how long us PS users would have to wait.

Ask one of the other unimaginative tourists who've already posted the exact same, incoherent thing!

I think that stuff has to go through Sony cert, might be a little bit.

Hawk269

How is PC performance after the patch? Pre-patch it struggled at 4k and would drop from 60 down to 30 a lot with a TitanXP and 3930k OC to 4.8. Won't be able to get the patch since I am away for work, just curious if it runs a bit better?

OuterLimits

Survival is much easier. My starter planet is a cold one and my hazard protection falls at the same rate at night. Before, it depleted twice as quick.

Also, buildings and save beacons are everywhere. I'm seeing those green question marks every two to three minutes of walking. Not a big fan of this as I preferred the buildings more sparse. Now it seems to be similar to what it was at release. Not much point in using resources and building your own save beacon now.

You can also summon your ship from anywhere(if it doesn't need repairs)

Overall I like many of the added features. It's unfortunate Survival mode is much easier now though.

MADGAME

Sandworms confirmed? Is this real?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/6t3qid/giant_sandworms_confirmed/

oCxKIzu.jpg

stressboy

My base is now on a toxic planet and is floating... Oh well. I am going to start a fresh game. Only thing I will really miss is my star destroyer shaped freighter.

I'm enjoying jumping back into this on my PS4. Does the PC version hold any advantages? Would it be worth it to switch platforms before I get too invested? Nvidia 770 here with 16gb of RAM and a AMD 8350.

When playing these games that rely heavily on proc gen, it's always best to assume any update will break shit and that you'll probably have to restart over and over.

Anyone starting now should keep in mind that you might have to start again with 1.4.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
So I haven't played since the first few weeks after maxing out my ship/suit/gun. Is it feasible to pickup where I left off and experience all the new stuff or would I have to start from scratch?

I'm in the same boat and feel I'll get more out of it if I start over.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm enjoying jumping back into this on my PS4. Does the PC version hold any advantages? Would it be worth it to switch platforms before I get too invested? Nvidia 770 here with 16gb of RAM and a AMD 8350.

better visuals. 60fps. higher resolutions. mod support.

i played originally on PS4 (slim) and just moved to PC with 1.3. no going back now. the difference is huge.

Top Bottom