• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's super hard to start with. Then gets easier as you upgrade.

It still presents a slightly meatier challenge and you can still get caught out in a way you wouldn't in Normal.

However some things are more annoying and grindy. Resources are worth half as much, you use a full tank of plutonium every time your ship lifts off, and every paradise planet or half way decent place is crawling with sentinels.

Hmm, I like the sound of a greater challenge (love hard games as long as they're fair - Soulsborne, etc), but the grindy stuff sounds a bit tedious. Damn, not sure what to do here...

13ruce

Banned
Hmm, I like the sound of a greater challenge (love hard games as long as they're fair - Soulsborne, etc), but the grindy stuff sounds a bit tedious. Damn, not sure what to do here...

I started on survival first but i found the grind abit much and i died a couple of times wich i quited after.

I might try again later now that i have played some hours on normal and know how to craft certain things to survive.

The thing that irritated me the most is that jackpack and running drain your life sort of as if there is a hole in your space suit or something lol.

No 1.31 on Steam yet right?

The new quest/narrative stuff is the "Awakenings" mission. If you don't have that or it's not your active quest, you are not on the new stuff. you should be able to continue atlas path stuff as you see fit before beginning it.
So what is this new "not atlas stone but atlas stone" item then? Was that a carry over from vanilla or new?

HeeHo

I never played survival before this patch but it seems pretty hard to me. Maybe once you get past the first hurdles it becomes more manageable but I was barely able to make it to my ship without running out of resources constantly. It took a few tries to even get there.

When I first loaded up my old save, I was not that impressed with the new update but starting fresh on survival I can really see how many things have changed. I haven't been back since any of the updates but the UI is a lot different in multiple areas and you can see damage numbers on stuff you are mining. The game feels a lot smoother to me too but the last time I played, I didn't have a pro.

I will have to try out base building and terrain editing on my other save though. Glad I waited so long, it practically seems new again - in survival at least.

pots555

Started playing again after giving up on it last august. This is a whole new game, in my opinion, this time around. I am taking it slow, scanning and mining. No pressure. Came up on the new quest line and already finding stuff that are way more impressive than before. Good job from the devs. Glad they continued working on it.

DrBo42

I'm not sure the farenheit/celsius detection is actually working. I live in America, started a new save and it's still giving me celsius.

lewisgone

Picked this up for £10 in the sale after reading impressions. Was so excited for this game before release and glad to hear that it is finally meeting original expectations.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Has anyone encountered an alien species that (possible spoilers)
has the title Traveler and speaks in english?
Or am I the only one?

I saw a reddit post about one. Basically
they're NPCs on the same kidna path as the player. There were some options to interact/trade with them from what I saw.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Going for Survival. After reading up a bit more on it, it does sound like it makes many of the mechanics in the game a lot more meaningful. Death actually matters, etc. Normal to me always felt like there were no real stakes, no danger. Survival sounds right up my alley, hopefully I won't find it too frustrating.

I saw a reddit post about one. Basically
they're NPCs on the same kidna path as the player. There were some options to interact/trade with them from what I saw.

Thanks, I was googling like a mad man to find if anyone else had seen them. And yes
you can trade with them, similar to other NPCs

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Uh, just started a new game, and something is very wrong. If I push the right stick right I turn normally, but if I push it left I just start spinning like crazy. It's basically unplayable. What the fuck. Surely this isn't a feature of Survival?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
interesting. So since my next goal is to get to this
Atlas Station
, I guess the game basically went "so yeah you know how to make warp drive fuel now, so fuck off and figure the rest out on your own", which I apreciate.

I wish I could get another ship but everything is so expensive. I actually found a crashed ship with a bigger inventory and got excited, but I didnt have the mats to repair its systems and you can just switch out the ones on your good ship, which sucks :(

So I was sad. But then I found a random alien in a outpost that had been attacked, I repaired his suit and he gave me a new multi-tool with 20 (!) slots compared to my 5 slot starting multi tool, so that made me happy.

I still havent found any inventory expnsions :(

neoism

😑😑😑 why u do this hello I spent 100 hours building my base and getting elements I'm just not a start over player I like to play on one character/save

All these patches seem to be for new players

I don't want to redo my exosuit/gun/ship which all are max fucking slots which took me 100+hours to get the glitch why which they fixed I think

😤😭😭
Just goes to show you never get a game at launch

Fuck u Sony for making hello release it a year ago,if released now like it is ....
It's a damn shame....

I don't understand what the in flight in atmosphere scanner is for now. It keeps locating buildings 20+ minutes away. Yeah, not going to fly for 20 minutes in one direction. If you straddle atmosphere and space you can go ~10x faster to get there in 1-2 minutes, but most of the time I wind up out of atmosphere and the waypoint disappears. This is very frustrating. Think I'm going to be done with this game again, it's just so disappointing still.

Raiden

Banned
One thing that bothered me a bit though was that almost everything was toxic to me and draining my suit one way or another. Are there completely safe planets? Or can you upgrade your suit to max safety or something?

kiguel182

This game really should've been a cheaper, early acess title.

The reception would've been different and with the updates deleting stuff it would be more normal. Shame.

Still glad they keep to interate on it and improve the game.

Tubie

Sorry if this has been asked already, but should I just start a new save if I want to see all the new story content they added, or will I be able to experience that with my old save?

This game really should've been a cheaper, early acess title.

The reception would've been different and with the updates deleting stuff it would be more normal. Shame.
Significant updates affecting the planets is just part and parcel of having to regenerate the universe and using procedural generation at the scale it does.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Uh, just started a new game, and something is very wrong. If I push the right stick right I turn normally, but if I push it left I just start spinning like crazy. It's basically unplayable. What the fuck. Surely this isn't a feature of Survival?

Has nobody else experienced this on PS4? It's driving me nuts. Restarted, no change.

Had to move my base to a new planet as the latest patch made the building impossible to enter due to the contours of the land had changed.

At my new base it wouldn't allow me to install a Exocraft terminal as it reckoned I already had one.
Looked at the Log section and yep, states I needed to return to the technican. Went back to the location of where my old planet was located and it wasn't there anymore, just tiny little dots in space, but the location guide thought it was still there.
So can't progress with him.

Can see the images here.
Reported it via their website.

Man, the story is really good. What the hell. Even though I don't like how parts of it force you on meta fetch quests, some revelations
like why Gek don't go to war anymore
are really cool for us who were digging into old lore and the ARG.

It also sets everything up so you WANT to go to the center.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The tutorials are broken? It's telling me to repair my thrusters before I even have the required materials. Does Survival require more, and they just didn't change it?

EDIT: Actually, it's the objective completion triggers that seem broken. They complete before you have crafted the number of sheets (in this case) you need.

Man, that's gonna suck if it continues like that throughout the game. May ditch this game again after all, seems way too buggy still.

JoeBoy101

interesting. So since my next goal is to get to this
Atlas Station
, I guess the game basically went "so yeah you know how to make warp drive fuel now, so fuck off and figure the rest out on your own", which I apreciate.

I wish I could get another ship but everything is so expensive. I actually found a crashed ship with a bigger inventory and got excited, but I didnt have the mats to repair its systems and you can just switch out the ones on your good ship, which sucks :(

So I was sad. But then I found a random alien in a outpost that had been attacked, I repaired his suit and he gave me a new multi-tool with 20 (!) slots compared to my 5 slot starting multi tool, so that made me happy.

I still havent found any inventory expnsions :(

Inventory expansions you have to keep on eye out for, your scanner doesn't pick them up well. That said, I went three systems without one, and then went to a planet where I got four within 10 minutes.

As for the crashed ships, you will still end up paying for the ship, but that cost is distributed over time with the repairing of broken slots. Repairing the equipment can be relatively straightforward. IIRC, only one item (the resonator) needs to be bought from a trade terminal. All others can be found around you like Iron, Plutonium, etc. And if the crash ship is a good class, it can be worth. I got a Class A freighter with 26 slots on my second planet. It already had as many free unbroken slots as my starter ship, so I ditched in no time.

RoadHazard said:
The tutorials are broken? It's telling me to repair my thrusters before I even have the required materials. Does Survival require more, and they just didn't change it?

Well, yeah. Its going to tell you to repair them as its a vital element, its giving you your next objective. All the materials for repairing thrusters are around you. If I recall, they use Carite Sheets and you can craft them by default with iron.

Scoobie

Going for Survival. After reading up a bit more on it, it does sound like it makes many of the mechanics in the game a lot more meaningful. Death actually matters, etc. Normal to me always felt like there were no real stakes, no danger. Survival sounds right up my alley, hopefully I won't find it too frustrating.

The thing I've noticed about survival and why I'm liking it is, it forces you to use more of the mechanics/crafting in the game. For example there are a whole load of power items I probably would never have had to use on normal that I'm now having to buy/craft.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but should I just start a new save if I want to see all the new story content they added, or will I be able to experience that with my old save?

I'd like to know this as well. I have not played since launch but had a good sized ship and a decent amount of credits and inventory space. I'd rather not restart but I also don't want to miss out on all the new features/bug fixes/texture changes, etc. Is all of this implemented well with old saves or am I better off restarting entirely?

Anyone else just got version 1.31 downloading?

Just went to go back into the game from watching an episode of TV and it started downloading.

Mahonay

Banned
Was immediately blown up by pirates the fist time I went into space. Cool. Now I'm spawned on some different planet far away from ship?

Unicorn

So, I got a few warp drive upgrades for my freighter as it seems quicker to get to green stars than going through atlas story... But, I don't have a hyper drive for my freighter. Log says to get 3 dynamic resonators and to craft in inventory and I have zero crafting or technology menu options for making the hyper drive.

Anyone know?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, yeah. Its going to tell you to repair them as its a vital element, its giving you your next objective. All the materials for repairing thrusters are around you. If I recall, they use Carite Sheets and you can craft them by default with iron.

I know what the objectives are meant for, I'm saying they are broken. It switched from "craft sheets" to "repair thrusters" when I hade crafted four or something, but I actually needed seven. Because of that I had to go mentally check all the time.

It's also weird that they haven't fixed the mining beam cooldown glitch (where you can just stop mining and start again right away to skip the cooldown entirely) after all this time. Do they not consider it a glitch? Makes it kinda pointless.

mokeyjoe

EDIT: Actually, it's the objective completion triggers that seem broken. They complete before you have crafted the number of sheets (in this case) you need.

Man, that's gonna suck if it continues like that throughout the game. May ditch this game again after all, seems way too buggy still.

Still?

Game was pretty solid at 1.2. These are whole new bugs for 1.3 :p

But I think it was rushed to meet the 1yr anniversary deadline. Expect lots of point fixes over the next couple of weeks.

Effect

So how do you look around the cockpit on PC using a keyboard and mouse? Can't figure it out and don't see anything in the controls option that would allow for it.

Edit:

Never mind. You need a controller to do it with the right stick.

kiguel182

The ๖ۜBronx;245997528 said:
Significant updates affecting the planets is just part and parcel of having to regenerate the universe and using procedural generation at the scale it does.

I understand it but I feel it would make sense to sell it that way instead of as a complete game (whatever that means these days) and then restart progress from time to time.

I'm playing it for the first time so it didn't affect me but I wonder if this happens next patch how I will feel.

Top Bottom