• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lol Figures. how do I restart? At least I learned a little about the game setup.
hold R3 over your save on the mode select screen
It's not the DS4, it works great in other games.
I'm sure it does, it's just a variable to rule out. even if there's literally nothing wrong with that controller I'm sure it'd be beneficial to you if using a different one circumvented it
It's gotta be a glitch. There's a cooldown animation of the heat meter, but if you start mining again it instantly drops to zero and then starts going up again. Certainly LOOKS like a glitch. Otherwise, why even have the cooldown animation?
Hmmm, I guess I'm not sure what you mean. If I keep holding down the trigger while the meter is flashing red, the multitool itself has an overheat animation where it stops firing and forces you to wait while it cools down, and you can't let go and start mining again during that animation. So the flashing red meter is the indication for me to let go before it actually overheats.

you may be right, but if it is a glitch as per the intended design hopefully it's not on the list, I don't think it would improve the game to have an additional delay with the mining beam.
OK, restarted. Temps are 110 F in the day. And my suit is burning down even faster!

Hahaha

Okay, 3rd time I am under 5.0 rad with volatile weather. Is this stuff normal? This is the 3rd try on restarting.
4th time is 53.5 Tox .....
Weird, 110F isn't THAT hot.... like obviously that's extremely unpleasant but it's not instant death even for a regular human without thermal protection or life support :p (am in South Florida) Haha damn.

On that planet, you could likely avoid the heat in caves and once night rolls around, but I guess you already abandoned it.

Pretty normal, yeah.

It's a part of the progression in the game. You're constantly upgrading everything and getting more and more efficient.
Yeah I dunno. On PS4 I had a toxic storm planet as my starter (but not THAT threatening, just annoying), on PC I had a literal paradise planet as my starter.

edit: But it is accurate to say that any hostile starter planet is very rough early on and you gradually improve your exosuit and can withstand more and more without issue as you progress.

13ruce

Banned
Ah neat with that terrain destroy laser you can loot those big crashed freighter ships. By digging the saves etc up. You need to repair em tho with iron/steel etc.

Game exceeded my expectations so far tbh really liking it and i normally hate exploration etc because of my bad focus/concentration due to adhd.

If it keeps up like this solid 9.5/10 for me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
man, not that it was part of this update, but i can't believe this game was ever played without the quick menu.

on a completely unrelated note I can't believe Destiny never stole this game's quick menu -_-

ParityBit

Okay I am on a 170 degree planet, but right next to 3 caves. So I will try this one.

So I was shooting a couple rocks and a sentnal started attacking me .... can someone explain that to me?

bosseye

While it is great I am ashamed to say it made me realize I had become pretty dependent on the autocorrection before. i have very nearly crashed 3 times. :p

I'm playing on normal and it doesn't seem to matter, I've crashed numerous times and you just bounce off the landscape. Probably different on survival though.

13ruce

Banned
Okay I am on a 170 degree planet, but right next to 3 caves. So I will try this one.

So I was shooting a couple rocks and a sentnal started attacking me .... can someone explain that to me?

They are universe defenders i think or something like that so when they spot you harvesting or if you are on a hostile sentinel planet then they even attack on sight.

If they scan you stop mining resources.

Please don't tell me you obtain the terrain modifier gun through base building quests... Can I buy that blueprint somewhere? Haven't seen it yet.

theWB27

They protect the planets from over doing the collecting. Some planets will attack for the smallest infraction..I think even on sight? Other planets are much more relaxed and give you some room to collect.

OmegaDL50

Kinda sucks that right off the bat I can't really do much!

started off on a poison planet when i played the release version back when. was seriously frustrating, while reading about all the gorgeous planets other players'd started on :) ...

Yeah my new starting planet was a frozen ice / snow world as well.

Bad enough the closest Heridium deposit to fix my ship at the start of the game was 6 minutes away by foot. So traveling the entire way drained my entire hazard protection to zero.

What I had to do is find caves along the way and use them as rest spots to get my hazard protection back to normal. Of course this isn't always possible which is why it's also good to have an abundance of Zinc on hand, as when your Hazard Protection gets low you can use some spare Zinc to get a quick recharge and avoid getting extreme cold damage.

13ruce

Banned
Please don't tell me you obtain the terrain modifier gun through base building quests... Can I buy that blueprint somewhere? Haven't seen it yet.

I got one for free from a alien 15 mins or so ago lol in a space station.

Try talking to aliens some give free stuff and some sell multitools or even give you one for free.

This is why in a game like this i talk to every npc i come across.

Some chests have one too sometimes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm playing on normal and it doesn't seem to matter, I've crashed numerous times and you just bounce off the landscape. Probably different on survival though.
Really? I mean I at least got the "critical damage taken" message. I assumed if I kept hitting stuff past that I'd crash and need repairs like you do when you get shot down.
Nah I saw someone on stream get it from an NPC tech vendor in a space station

Try talking to aliens some give free stuff and some sell multitools or even give you one for free.

Definitely talking about the tech that lets you build terrain geometry?

Right, got it. Time to get social.

A vy'keen offered me a 23-slot multi-tool that came with the terrain modifier less than an hour in on a fresh start lol. Saw the blueprint available to buy at the nanite shop in another system a couple hours later.

Roshin

One thing that bothered me a bit though was that almost everything was toxic to me and draining my suit one way or another. Are there completely safe planets? Or can you upgrade your suit to max safety or something?

Yeah, I started a new game and got a planet where the heat was hurting me and draining my suit. Started over again and got a radioactive planet. Started over agasin and got a toxic one. And Sentinels all over my arse.

I mean, come on.

MattAces

Is it possible to find a cold planet/warp to blue system without Theta Warpdrive? Still looking for ways to obtain frost crystal as early as possible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
In the new discoveries UI, you can't tell what category your remaining undiscovered creatures are in right? This planet is proving to be the toughest I've ever attempted to fully survey. It has no water and seemingly no life in caves despite looking thoroughly...
Is it possible to find a cold planet/warp to blue system without Theta Warpdrive? Still looking for ways to obtain frost crystal as early as possible.
It must be since I've seen many cold planets and don't have a Theta warp upgrade haha.
Yes the weapon skill where you can build terrain and destroy it.

Just tried it out and it's indeed that skill on the weapon i got from a npc.
Ahhh I gotcha, they gave you a multitool with it already installed. Cool :)

magawolaz

Looks like my base building quests are completely broken :-\

Every time I try to talk to one of them it says they are busy and shouldn't be disturbed...Already rebuild the base and everything.

Hope they fix this.
Have you already tried going into the quest menu and selecting/switching to the correct quest? It just doesn't trigger if you're on a different quest

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The only major repairs you'd need to do to get it to a space station would be the launch thrusters and pulse engine. You can likely just find the materials for this nearby.

pretty sure they needed that thing you buy from the galactic network

Are you just trying to find the basic repairs for your ship to be able to get it off the ground for the first time?

Is this your first experience with the game and are you playing on Survival?

I had a very similar experience my first time playing. After about 2 hours of not being able to get off the ground I havent played since.

Next free day im restarting though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
2 questions: how do you guys make money, especially early on. I've been selling all those special items I find, the cubes and shit, I see no other way to get substancial cash. Ive noticed that some aliens want them in conversations but...well, I need cash man lol.

Also, can you pinpoint or mark a specific location? Like, say I find another crashed ship, can I mark that spot so I can fly out of the planet to a spece station, buy the shit i need to repair it and then find tht spot again easily?

BSpot

I renamed them AirUnagi.

In unrelated news, can I only get missions from certain people? Who? How? I want missions. :)

Seiniyta

2 questions: how do you guys make money, especially early on. I've been selling all those special items I find, the cubes and shit, I see no other way to get substancial cash. Ive noticed that some aliens want them in conversations but...well, I need cash man lol.

Also, can you pinpoint or mark a specific location? Like, say I find another crashed ship, can I mark that spot so I can fly out of the planet to a spece station, buy the shit i need to repair it and then find tht spot again easily?

Scan and upload all the things!

For anyone who is having base mission glitches where it doesn't recognise you have built something, try deleting the item, saving and then loading the save. Once loaded build the item again and hopefully it should work, just helped with my colossus geobay technician mission.

Okay, well I finished downloading the game and hopped straight into survival mode. I started on a toxic world that kept depleting my hazard protection, but I found hiding in caves made of some emerald looking stuff protected me for a bit to let me systems recharge. I discovered two new alien species, weirdo plants, figured out how to refuel my life support, and fix something. As I was getting some iron to fix my ship, night fell and some weird crab things came out of the ground and started murdering me. I was able to run away and hide in a cave, waiting for daytime so they would go away. Unfortunately I didn't figure out how to craft new batteries for my life support so it ran out, and I died a horrible death of asphyxiation, alone in some cave on an alien world.

It seems that this purchase was a good one :D

Coming back to this game after, pretty much, a year and wow.

The core game is still relaxing to me, but being able to actually undertake missions and tasks and not just trying to get to the centre has given me more reason to explore, especially since I can now call my ship to me.

I was also able to actually afford an upgraded capacity ship almost immediately, while I was nowhere near on my first play.

Ultimately, the biggest change, is variety in planet flora and fauna, I'm seeing more of it and it's more interesting. I saw this odd hopping worm thing earlier. Nothing even close to that appeared a year ago.

I, genuinely, feel sad that this game came out a year ago, if it released today it would have really done wonders, but what can you do?

Top Bottom