• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

mokeyjoe

All this talk about cool stuff is reeeeally making me want to jump in again. But I can't deal. Patch soon, pls...

For all the things Hello Games are, they've always been good at pushing bug fixes out. For game breaking bugs anyway.

I mean they're good at introducing new ones too but hey...

Huh, that's pretty interesting. In the past I'm pretty sure planets have looked basically the same everywhere. Like, if you've seen one patch of it you've more or less seen it all. Would be cool if that's not the case anymore. Not saying I need Earth-like variety on a single planet, but some variety would be nice so there's actually a reason to check out the other side of the planet or whatever.

All planets have single biome type (which it shows when scanned). But there are variations within the biome. This has always been the case, and seems to be tied to terrain type. This latest patch has improved the terrain generation and seems to create more sort of 'regions' on worlds, so the differences are more dramatic. Also the improved textures probably contribute to this differentiation too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just confirmed, you can definitely crash-land your ship if you are dumb enough with the geometry on a planet surface... -_-
Well this is kinda cool, so it spawned me about 5 mins from my ship and I made my way back and in addition to having multiple needed repairs (which I expected ;_;), found my ship had its own little "crash site" with some scattered boxes and a distress beacon and what have you. I doubt their contents were actually from my ship inventory but it was a cool little bit of ambience.

edit: I assume this is what happens in Survival if you are shot down in space

edit again: Had to get a pic from on high:
D16E9F6BAB7697DFE5C95BF19B347422EE9E6AF0
worry not, my Condor, you'll be skyborne again in no time!

Banned
A-HA! Found an old save from September on my laptop from my first playthrough! Now I have my sweet TIE/X Wing hybrid back, plus a million in coin, and a bunch of extra slots in my exosuit. And I'm still basically at the beginning of the Atlas quest and all others. I am a Happy man!

I'm pretty far into the story and I have to say, Hello Games knows how to make fun of itself. They
worked players not being able to meet and even literally two travellers standing in the same place not seeing each other into the story.

ParityBit

Is there any maps of the planets when you are on them? I had a couple waypoints and some other random stuff but some still show as a '?'. I am trying to find my initial crash spot.

Lamptramp

How is everyone choosing their home planet to base build on? Resources? Looks? Both?

Rather than procrastinate about finding the perfect place for now I figured I would use the first safe, storm free planet without aggressive sentinels or animals. Its not much to look at neither is it teeming with resources but there are decent enough amounts of early game mats nearby, and the local fauna makes it easy to farm kill missions for both them and sentinels.

I hoped it was possible to move your base to another planet later, or at least do so with the minimum or faff. Thats what I need to find out next, how easy is it to move, and is it possible to refund pre-existing structures/buggies.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Just landed on a forest moon and before I get out of my ship I look to the right. I see a crab attacking a mini-T-rex and the crab won! Not only that, half the wildlife in the area took off in fear.

Should see if I can still save that clip.

Rather than procrastinate about finding the perfect place for now I figured I would use the first safe, storm free planet without aggressive sentinels or animals. Its not much to look at neither is it teeming with resources but there are decent enough amounts of early game mats nearby, and the local fauna makes it easy to farm kill missions for both them and sentinels.

I hoped it was possible to move your base to another planet later, or at least do so with the minimum or faff. Thats what I need to find out next, how easy is it to move, and is it possible to refund pre-existing structures/buggies.

You can choose a new home base at any time and all the stuff you built will be broken down in components and saved at a vault at your new base. But I had a game-breaking bug happen when claiming a new home base that made it impossible for me to continue any quests or use the galactic map, so I'd caution you to backup your save file before attempting to move.

Lamptramp

You can choose a new home base at any time and all the stuff you built will be broken down in components and saved at a vault at your new base. But I had a game-breaking bug happen when claiming a new home base that made it impossible for me to continue any quests or use the galactic map, so I'd caution you to backup your save file before attempting to move.

Cheers matey, I'm happy enough to keep using the current base to complete up the base quests and farm kills for now, hopefully the bug us squashed before I try it, otherwise will make a backup like you suggest

Well this is kinda cool, so it spawned me about 5 mins from my ship and I made my way back and in addition to having multiple needed repairs (which I expected ;_;), found my ship had its own little "crash site" with some scattered boxes and a distress beacon and what have you. I doubt their contents were actually from my ship inventory but it was a cool little bit of ambience.
Wait.. did it create the impact site, like the crater around it?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Whoaaa neat, after repairing my ship thrusters (the Warp Reactor is going to need 500 frost crystals to repair, ouch) I hit sky and immediately got hailed by a huge pirate group, first time I'd seen this:
Love that it's a Korvax pirate crew (who would think they existed) and the flavor text is like the most awkward threat ever.

Jerks. Based on the options there and my playstyle I need to get me some damn Defense Chits!

I just refused and boosted back down to the surface. They followed me into atmo (I had heard this happened but never had it happen to me before) and I hit the ground ASAP and landed and ran into a cave. I poked my head out and saw they had actually started harassing some of the other traders flying around above the surface and started getting shot back, then scattered. Cool.

I then realized I had stumbled upon a monolith about 30 feet from where I panic landed. I went to interact of course and (possible story spoiler but at least portal functionality spoilers)
one of the options revealed that Monoliths are the key to finding Portals on a given planet, but it required a race-specific currency I don't have.
Wish I had the beacon blueprint to mark this for later.

Man when this game clicks it is so fucking good.
The ๖ۜBronx;246144762 said:
Wait.. did it create the impact site, like the crater around it?
I mean I guess? Haha. Like I said it started me 5 minutes away from there. It certainly looks like it though

Real important thing about the probably last main quest, I'll try to keep it non-spoilery:

The quest asks you to do something that takes a HUGE amount of time, but it's not accurate. You'll actually only have to do a set number of warp jumps.

Wanted to make that clear so nobody jumps ship that late in :p

Minamu

Is there a fix for the car dude to accept my geobay as constructed? My quest is stuck even though I have all three vehicles active.

Edit: Also, does ship calling cost anything? Like booster fuel?

edgefusion

Is there a fix for the car dude to accept my geobay as constructed? My quest is stuck even though I have all three vehicles active.

Is this for the Nomad bay? Because mine is stuck at that exact same point. I have all 3 constructed but he won't let me continue the quest. I swear, they've put together one of the buggiest quest systems I've ever seen implemented in a game. It breaks constantly.

Calling a ship costs nothing, and is kinda OP.

That is cool. Not sure who put the beacon there for you, maybe it auto-ejects during the crash. I do wish crashed and damaged ships had visible damage such as blast marks or even polygonal deformations. Then you could take it to a station to get it looking cherry again.

edit: that pirate story is also cool. Attacking other NPC ships seems like new behavior?

The space battles are pretty fun. I do wish there was a space e-brake so you can pull off some sweet maneuvers without losing too much speed.

There is kind of, or used to be. If you slam on the reverse thruster as you turn sharply, you'll do a bit of a powerslide. But it's not really as much conservation of momentum as I'd like. I'd love to see the flight model become a bit more like Battlestar Galactica physics, or at least like Asteroids, where your ship would drift a bit in the original direction after you turn. I guess they'd need to add strafing thrusters though, and it might make it too complicated for some people.

Jerks. Based on the options there and my playstyle I need to get me some damn Defense Chits!
Found them being sold by a random trader at a base! Not a thing I was anticipating. Didn't have much room to buy a lot, unfortunately. They stack to 5 on your ship.

I suck at space combat now that they got rid of the minor aim assist with the beam weapon. Fighting multiple targets is a pain when you have to level out entirely for several seconds. The new weapons aren't doing much for me. Love my fast little ship, but it only has 4 hull defense hits and I refuse to move to another ship that isn't 48 slots after all the time and money I put into making my current one the way I wanted it.

Handy Fake

Just launch thruster fuel, same as if you take off in it.

Found them being sold by a random trader at a base! Not a thing I was anticipating. Didn't have much room to buy a lot, unfortunately. They stack to 5 on your ship.

I suck at space combat now that they got rid of the minor aim assist with the beam weapon. Fighting multiple targets is a pain when you have to level out entirely for several seconds. The new weapons aren't doing much for me. Love my fast little ship, but it only has 4 hull defense hits and I refuse to move to another ship that isn't 48 slots after all the time and money I put into making my current one the way I wanted it.

You could always buy another ship and store it in your freighter so you don't lose your 48-slotter, right? Get a proper S-Class fighter for battling things.

fin

All I can say is wow. Haven't played since launch, finishing the atlas path and trying to get to the center, but ended up youtubing it.

Started from scratch yesterday, such a better game now, can't wait to play more!

Man, Eridium prices are falling :| You guys are taking away my gold mine!

Is the economy actually an online thing??

Had the game running stable for 20 minutes. Attempted to warp to another system and guess what? No Man's Sky stopped working.

Is anybody else running this on an AMD CPU? curious if it could be related to that. Next step would be dropping my RAM down to 2133mhz since I can't think of anything else that could be causing this.

My rig:

R9 380X 4GB
FX-8350 @4.0GHz
16GB DDR3 @1600MHz

Been playing the new update for about 20hrs now, no crashes so far. I have a pretty bad problem with the textures not loading properly, so the only way to remedy that is to set "TextureStreamingEx" to "Off" and "TexturePageSizeKb" to "4096" in the TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML which makes the game crash on the "loading shaders" screen, but it works just fine if I also change the "TextureDetail" to "Normal". This of course sets the textures to medium, but at least I can play the game. I know it's not really a solution, but maybe try tinkering with these values if you haven't already.
Maybe there's something on the software side, something you have installed that's just not playing nice with NMS.

Minamu

Is this for the Nomad bay? Because mine is stuck at that exact same point. I have all 3 constructed but he won't let me continue the quest. I swear, they've put together one of the buggiest quest systems I've ever seen implemented in a game. It breaks constantly.

Calling a ship costs nothing, and is kinda OP.
Yeah he wants me to build the first car and I have, thrice. I'm gonna try deleting all three vehicles tomorrow, and see if that helps.

Just launch thruster fuel, same as if you take off in it.
Yeah that's what I figured, the meter seemed to be suspiciously low sometimes :lol Not that I have a problem with plutonium but it's slightly annoying having that extra cost.

Someone asked a few pages back if there are water planets and yeah, my home base was/is on such a planet, but it's a snowy mountain planet these days :/ I went into the water with my car one day because I needed to get to a quest location about 25 minutes away :lol I could've flown but I wanted to try the vehicle's underwater capabilities. Guess what, it sucks xD I got it stuck down in a ravine about 20 minutes away from my base and I had no choice but to swim all the way back hahaha. But I also needed to get to the quest location first...

Today I bought a nice yellow A class fighter class ship! About 10 million with 30ish slots, hooray! Now I finally have one of each class hanging around in my freighter, each fully upgraded for role playing purposes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Someone asked a few pages back if there are water planets and yeah, my home base was/is on such a planet, but it's a snowy mountain planet these days :/ I went into the water with my car one day because I needed to get to a quest location about 25 minutes away :lol I could've flown but I wanted to try the vehicle's underwater capabilities. Guess what, it sucks xD I got it stuck down in a ravine about 20 minutes away from my base and I had no choice but to swim all the way back hahaha. But I also needed to get to the quest location first...
The Nomad can glide over water completely

edit: Okay heyyy let's get to a new page everybody :D

Giganteus

Can't seem to progress in story mode with guild missions I keep doing them but it still shows 0/3 any workaround?
Are you picking the right guild mission? I had that problem yesterday. It wanted me to do a mercenaries guild mission, but I picked an explorer's guild mission, because I wasn't paying attention to the icons on the mission screen.

My rig:

R9 380X 4GB
FX-8350 @4.0GHz
16GB DDR3 @1600MHz

Been playing the new update for about 20hrs now, no crashes so far. I have a pretty bad problem with the textures not loading properly, so the only way to remedy that is to set "TextureStreamingEx" to "Off" and "TexturePageSizeKb" to "4096" in the TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML which makes the game crash on the "loading shaders" screen, but it works just fine if I also change the "TextureDetail" to "Normal". This of course sets the textures to medium, but at least I can play the game. I know it's not really a solution, but maybe try tinkering with these values if you haven't already.
Maybe there's something on the software side, something you have installed that's just not playing nice with NMS.

I'll look into that, but when it does let me past the shaders/NMS logo, there doesn't seem to be an issue with textures.

I've pretty much diabled everything while playing. All overlays, etc. The only things I have open are Steam and NMS. I've also not found anything else while googling and looking around Reddit about issues playing the game with Ryzen CPUs, so I'm kinda doubting that's an issue.

RedSwirl

Whoaaa neat, after repairing my ship thrusters (the Warp Reactor is going to need 500 frost crystals to repair, ouch) I hit sky and immediately got hailed by a huge pirate group, first time I'd seen this:

Love that it's a Korvax pirate crew (who would think they existed) and the flavor text is like the most awkward threat ever.

I just refused and boosted back down to the surface. They followed me into atmo (I had heard this happened but never had it happen to me before) and I hit the ground ASAP and landed and ran into a cave. I poked my head out and saw they had actually started harassing some of the other traders flying around above the surface and started getting shot back, then scattered. Cool.

I then realized I had stumbled upon a monolith about 30 feet from where I panic landed. I went to interact of course and (possible story spoiler but at least portal functionality spoilers)
one of the options revealed that Monoliths are the key to finding Portals on a given planet, but it required a race-specific currency I don't have.
Wish I had the beacon blueprint to mark this for later.

Man when this game clicks it is so fucking good.

I mean I guess? Haha. Like I said it started me 5 minutes away from there. It certainly looks like it though

This is the kind of stuff that's supposed to happen to make aimless games like this fulfilling.

Aenima

You could always buy another ship and store it in your freighter so you don't lose your 48-slotter, right? Get a proper S-Class fighter for battling things.

How does that work? You need to be in the freighter hangar to buy another ship so the old one stays there or u can make the purchase from any place?

I also have a 48 slot fighter style ship but the class bonus did not tranfered when they added classes to the game, so even if my ship is better than most fighter its still a class C with 0% bonus.

Also how is the procedure now to get a ship up to 48 slots? What i did before was salvage a ship and the next one would always be 1 slot more or 1 slot less than my current ship, but now all i find are 20-30 slots ships for sale or for salvage. Thants not good to my play style, i need them 48 slots more than damage or warp bonus.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game now... though scanning all the animals in a planet continues to be a chore. I think I've managed to get only one fully-scanned planet. I'm always missing two or three animals that are impossible to find anywhere :/

belvedere

Junior Butler
I'm really enjoying the game now... though scanning all the animals in a planet continues to be a chore. I think I've managed to get only one fully-scanned planet. I'm always missing two or three animals that are impossible to find anywhere :/

Sometimes there's crabs hidden away in caves, birds on the other side of the planet and even animals that only come out at night.

Frack that trophy.

Minamu

The Nomad can glide over water completely

edit: Okay heyyy let's get to a new page everybody :D
Yeah I know, this was on the first day of the vehicle patch and I just wanted to try it for funsies :) I LOVE taking that car or the Nomad and fly like an eagle (heh) over the mountains by boost jumping, it's probably the most hilarious bug in the game!

Aenima

Sometimes there's crabs hidden away in caves, birds on the other side of the planet and even animals that only come out at night.

Frack that trophy.

And others may only appear during the storm weather. I was missing 1 animal from a planet, as soon the storm appeared, he spawned near my ship :p

Im loving the new planets. But having trouble finding that lush planet for my new base. The lush planet i found had torrential rains constant on it, then later found a paradise planet (yeah was labeled as paradise planet) and really had perfect weather, lots of water and land, but was kinda barren with very little plants and trees and no animals at all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The laser weapon auto lock changed post 1.3? Before the enemy just needed to be at screen to get hit.

quite.
And others may only appear during the storm weather. I was missing 1 animal from a planet, as soon the storm appeared, he spawned near my ship :p

Im loving the new planets. But having trouble finding that lush planet for my new base. The lush planet i found had torrential rains constant on it, then later found a paradise planet (yeah was labeled as paradise planet) and really had perfect weather, lots of water and land, but was kinda barren with very little plants and trees and no animals at all.
Ah damnit, I never knew that one. Guess I'm returning to whence I abandoned....

Did you move your base to a different system after the patch? Because that can trigger this glitch. It should fix itself if you rebuild your base on the planet it was on pre-patch.

When you rebuilt your base on your original home planet, did the new base ask you to claim a new home planet? Even though it was the same home planet?

This patch cannot come soon enough. I've been dying to experience everything but I've had to hold off because of the bugs. :'(

Top Bottom