• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Gameplay (E3 2015, "Playstation debut"/PC simultaneous)

GodofWine

I'm starting to lose hype on this one, I know there is , supposedly, a huge game here, but this is the same thing we've seen over and over...this felt like last years "visit" by dean hall.

I love the concept, but these really interesting space battles between factions where you can take a side, the center of the universe where you can apparently do "something", we need a bit more of a tease.

I am pulling for the game to be great.

Permanently A

So you're the first person to ever visit this planet that's full of beacons and aggressive robots? What?

I think they mean the first player.

I like the idea of exploring and mining resources and stuff but I think it might get old fast. Depends on what the center of the universe actually is.

DC1

Yeah it looks the same every time.

The destruction looked awful too.

People that are interested in this game talk about "exploring", but I think it'll get old real fast. The worlds look empty as fuck.

This game will end up as vaporware or will be like many of Sonys titles that are hyped and then flop.

Sony have been killing E3, more enjoyable to watch than Microsoft so far, but No mans Sky has been the worst game shown so far.
So much hateraid.

Tagg9

Kind of surprised there's no release date yet. Sony could really use this title in their holiday lineup, although I can see them saving it for the Morpheus launch.

GavinUK86

Interesting that Shaun just said you can't go everywhere he shown in the demo because the distance you can travel is limited by your ships hyperdrive. He had a "cheats" on, so to speak, to show it off.

Sofa King

Is this a 60 dollar game or a digital indie release? If it is a full 60 dollar game, not sure I can see it. If it is a 20 dollar game it will sell like mad.

Falchion

I'm really intrigued by the story which they've been really hush hush about. The fact that all the players are trying to advance their tech and get to the center of the universe is really cool.

Bloomers

Game continues to amaze me with its scale, but I'm a bit disappointed that the extent of the multiplayer component wasn't elaborated on.

Karak

I love these guys. Some of the nicest dudes. No matter how big they get they still answer my PR questions personally hahaha.

I'm starting to lose hype on this one, I know there is , supposedly, a huge game here, but this is the same thing we've seen over and over...this felt like last years "visit" by dean hall.

Yeah, It's how I feel about The Division as well. I hope it ends up as glorious as it could be.

I still have no idea what you do or why.

All I know is I'm totally in for finding out through playing and exploring.

This kind of ambition should be rewarded.

Ranger X

This game taps into people's imagination ALOT.
No way this will end up as great as you guys think. I am trying to stay objective towards the game, its far along in dev and I still didn't see what the hell i'll do in this game. Fly through some procedural war that will look the same very fast? Collect a journal of planets that will also end up similar very fast?

I certainly hope there's more surprises down the road. I am cautiously pessimistic about this game.

If there is no rewarding reason to explore than it doesnt matter how massive the world is. A simple cave with loot and a monster guarding it would do. I'm sure there is some reward but I was hoping theyd show it.

The fact that we didn't get a release date makes me think this could easily slip in to 2016.

If there is no rewarding reason to explore than it doesnt matter how massive the world is. A simple cave with loot and a monster guarding it would do. I'm sure there is some reward but I was hoping theyd show it.
There is a loot element. They haven't shown it, but they've talked about it. For example, you either need to find or build your ship before you even leave the first world you start on.

The fact that we didn't get a release date makes me think this could easily slip in to 2016.

There is a loot element. They haven't shown it, but they've talked about it. For example, you either need to find or build your ship before you even leave the first world you start on.
Wait you thought this is 2015
The way he said it is pretty much 2016

Kimaka

They showed this game off way too early. It is still my most anticipated game even though I probably have to wait until 2016. Trying to keep my expectations in check so I'm only expecting to fly around in a customizable ship and explore colorful looking worlds which is enough for me.

Still baffled by the "what do you do?" responses. Guess they need some sort of story hook because they explained that exploring planets is what you do with crafting and dogfighting included in the game also.

ironcreed

Banned
I was feeling so great during the presentation, but then... no date or anything. Disappointing. This was my one hope for this year out of all the announcements.

New screens!

11036914_699676543497390_572327483564849436_n.jpg

11406992_699676616830716_7544629149557207819_n.jpg

11430156_699676656830712_4359366497687437909_n.jpg

11536412_699676480164063_3241785289630413056_o.jpg

11425257_699676706830707_8962084231884555367_n.jpg

Afrodium

Banned
A lot of people are saying that they still don't understand what you do in this game, but I think it's apparent at this point that wandering around the universe is pretty much the extent of it. We've seen what this game is about and people just don't believe it and assume there's more. That's not to say that this game won't be good, just that you should expect what we've seen so far to be the extent of it with an astronomical scale.

Ranger X

They showed this game off way too early. It is still my most anticipated game even though I probably have to wait until 2016. Trying to keep my expectations in check so I'm only expecting to fly around in a customizable ship and explore colorful looking worlds which is enough for me.

Still baffled by the "what do you do?" responses. Guess they need some sort of story hook because they explained that exploring planets is what you do with crafting and dogfighting included in the game also.

No need for story. Minecraft hooked me because there is alot to do, they successfully showed me the game isn't just "3D lego". I am yet to be convinced in the same way with NML. Who cares if we "explore planets" or dog fight? This means nothing just like describing Minecraft as "exploring endless worlds" and "fighting zombies" would mean nada.

Sblargh

Banned
A lot of people are saying that they still don't understand what you do in this game, but I think it's apparent at this point that wandering around the universe is pretty much the extent of it. We've seen what this game is about and people just don't believe it and assume there's more. That's not to say that this game won't be good, just that you should expect what we've seen so far to be the extent of it with an astronomical scale.

It's not a game about reaching an end-state, yeah. I expect it to be something I'll play my entire life in small doses.

It's gonna be one of those games that it is always there waiting for you to hop in and lose yourself into.

People are more in love with the concept than the actual game. For a procedural game to be truly interesting it would need to be capable of generating civilizations and dramatic narratives that emerge organically. Scanning landscapes of planets and animals will be fun for a while but not really that game of forever that everyone was expecting.

Sblargh

Banned
People are more in love with the concept than the actual game. For a procedural game to be truly interesting it would need to be capable of generating civilizations and dramatic narratives that emerge organically. Scanning landscapes of planets and animals will be fun for a while but not really that game of forever that everyone was expecting.

I think that's actually a philosophical issue. One of that the developers tackled like this: what is natural (as in non-artificial) is procedural. What is artificial is made by artificially by the devs.

I wouldn't be surprised if they treated it as a kind of MMO with steady updates regarding the human elements (like the factions and the spaceships), but what you're asking is something for the future. The near future, maybe, but it is not exactly an extension of what they are doing, it's a whole new ballpark.

Looks stunning. I don't even care if there isn't much 'game' there. There are a million sci-fi games that let you shoot shit up, but none that let you explore as freely as this. I would be happy just exploring,

Jonm1010

Banned

Well they have still left most of the gameplay pretty vague. Namely just how deep and structured is the crafting component, survival component, the antagonist enemies system and the looting mechanic? How is the difficulty curve? Is there actually a solid and balanced progression system in place so leveling actually has a feeling of accomplishment and reward? How deep is the enemy and warring gameplay? It could end up being very good or something that gets stale after an hour.

To me it seems that the nature of the game is going to make it very difficult to achieve the sort of balance and feeling of progression that makes crafting, loot and leveling games mechanics successful.

I like the ambition but i am starting to get a sneaking feeling that this is ultimately a type of game that will eventually be better achieved on a second go round a few years from now.

Game is trending almost higher then Battlefront on the YouTube show. Was like 7300 battlefront tweets vs 7200 NMS. Next was like 1200 or some thing like that

I think that's actually a philosophical issue. One of that the developers tackled like this: what is natural (as in non-artificial) is procedural. What is artificial is made by artificially by the devs.

I wouldn't be surprised if they treated it as a kind of MMO with steady updates regarding the human elements (like the factions and the spaceships), but what you're asking is something for the future. The near future, maybe, but it is not exactly an extension of what they are doing, it's a whole new ballpark.
Agreed, but I do love what these guys are doing. These are the baby steps needed to get to that fully realized world I'm talking about. That's a ways off though, and probably some AI breakthroughs away as well. The way around that in the near future is like you say, to let players interact more and let them do the world and lore building for you. Let them create civilizations and factions competing for natural resources spread across the universe. I think that could be engaging.

Top Bottom