• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky gets released like, soon, I guess ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Picollus

Neo Member
everything you said....

Man, don't hype too much in conjecture, your ideas are genial, but take into consideration the developers are a team of 11 people (Including marketing, social, etc...)

We aren't sure it's the same galaxy for everyone or if it's randomly generated ( I mean, we know the planet are generated but is the universe generated too) . So it's is possible that even coordinated meeting aren't possible !!!

We are in the blind, so it's exciting but scary in the same time. It's just 11 people working for 3-4 years max. I can't be the perfect game. In the best case scenario, the sequel would be awesome !

Honestly, i am pretty sure the the only real multiplayer aspect is Database Sync between player. Has-it REALLY been confirm that you can see, fight, trade with other Player ? I am pretty sure that the official statement is : "Meeting someone else is improbable". Everything else is pure hypothesis.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Let's remove the hype for a second (impossible). Will you 15 second impressions stay the same :p?

Yes. I can't explain it other than to say something felt different. The colours popped, the sound and music was on point and extremely atmospheric, the menu was complex and slick, and the menu sounds where 'chunky' and satisfying. That blue grass looked thick as hell too. I saw two new icons I hadn't seen before which were red, but like I said I didn't want to scrutinise them. It was enough to know there are things in the game we haven't seen yet.

MattyG

Banned
So the guy I know from Operation Sports that I posted in here earlier this afternoon, he is the one that got $1250 for the game on eBay. He only paid $150 for it.

The deal was too good not to sell it. EBay even called both paties over the phone to verify transaction, and it has been Fed Ex overnighted to the purchaser.

He said he is both happy (for the money) and sad (cause he is craving more).

Here is some quick impressions from him...
3. Game was extremely smooth. No frame rate issues at all

Oh shit.

4. Expect to possibly not fire up another game for a while. I could tell in my short time that this game is gonna destroy some relationships and happy homes.

OH SHIT.

legacyzero

Banned
52ba20790965a2a1489abdb362179c24.jpg

m5ovdadhssk6.gif

OH MY GOD ITS REAL

MaDKaT

Man, don't hype too much in conjecture, your ideas are genial, but take into consideration the developers are a team of 11 people (Including marketing, social, etc...)

We aren't sure it's the same galaxy for everyone or if it's randomly generated ( I mean, we know the planet are generated but is the universe generated too) . So it's is possible that even coordinated meeting aren't possible !!!

We are in the blind, so it's exciting but scary in the same time. It's just 11 people working for 3-4 years max. I can't be the perfect game. In the best case scenario, the sequel would be awesome !

Honestly, i am pretty sure the the only real multiplayer aspect is Database Sync between player. Has-it REALLY been confirm that you can see, fight, trade with other Player ? I am pretty sure that the official statement is : "Meeting someone else is improbable". Everything else is pure hypothesis.

We all share the same universe and goal to reach the center. Sean has said it is possible to meet other random players but that it would be rare. Example given was you may see a local squadran fighter that was not behaving/attacking/evading like an npc. He also mentioned lobbies. However they are more personal player space bubbles that can host a few other players that happen to be in proximity. No details on if it is anything more than that or if there was a way to communicate in game(I dont expect so).

So.. see = yes, fight = yes, trade = no word

E92 M3

Yes. I can't explain it other than to say something felt different. The colours popped, the sound and music was on point and extremely atmospheric, the menu was complex and slick, and the menu sounds where 'chunky' and satisfying. That blue grass looked thick as hell too. I saw two new icons I hadn't seen before which were red, but like I said I didn't want to scrutinise them. It was enough to know there are things in the game we haven't seen yet.

Awesome...thanks for the elaboration - and for feeding my hype.

--

It's been over 3 years folks, and here we are. I am so proud of Hello Games and can't wait to finally sit down and play this.

The1Ski

Yes, yes, we know. Can we stop it now, please? We know exactly what to expect so it's not necessary to 'educate' us.

What do you mean you know exactly what to expect? Every other post is "I hope this is in the game..." or "I wonder if we'll be able to do 'that' in the game..." There's still a lot of mystery to what this game has to offer.

ChouGoku

Fuuuuck I need this, I just did my first digital download preorder. Those impressions just made this 10 day wait so much harder

CHC

The billboarding / spinning grass thing is really annoying, though. I do hope that there's a tweak to turn that off or that what they've shown is older footage and that it orients randomly in the world.

The1Ski

Inflating how?

I think the animal and "space police" behavior seems to be very simplistic, for example. There's been posts hoping that the species on different planets will have their own behavior or social patterns. I know some people are hoping to be able to watch different animals interact with each other and all that.

I hope I'm wrong but the impression I've gotten is that there's basically three behavior settings for animals. 1. Attack you on sight. 2. Attack you if you attack them. 3. Ignore the player and run away if attacked.

I think the behavior patterns will be easily recognized from one planet to the next. Just as one example.

If this game does run smoothly on PS4, then I might not double dip.
Who am I kidding, though? I'm definitely going to double dip.

The billboarding / spinning grass thing is really annoying, though. I do hope that there's a tweak to turn that off or that what they've shown is older footage and that it orients randomly in the world.

I dunno. Seems like a visual trick like this might help the performance, especially on a console.

The God

Wonder what he means by "don't expect mind blowing graphics out of the box"? Does the game start out ugly and gradually gets prettier? lol

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
What do you mean you know exactly what to expect? Every other post is "I hope this is in the game..." or "I wonder if we'll be able to do 'that' in the game..." There's still a lot of mystery to what this game has to offer.

It's speculation, that's all. Myself and other people on here who have been following this game will be more than happy to play the game we've been allowed to see by Sean. The trick is not to invest emotionally in the speculation because then that could lead to possible disappointment and the feeling it's less than what we thought. We've heard something about the animals for instance, something that seems to have been verified by the recent show over in China, which in turn then gave something 65daysofstatic have said more credibility, but I and others aren't expecting it, we'd just be pleased if it was there.

It seems to me that those who aren't interested in this game not only want to keep telling us that they're not interested in the game but also want to negatively influence those that ARE interested in the game. Case in point, you. Your approach it to suggest fans are over hyping the game and so we're going to be disappointed. What you don't seem to understand is YOU don't know what's in the game either so it's clear from some people's posts that they 'hope' the game disappoints to 'teach us a lesson and prove they were right all along'. Why?

Please stop assuming fans are over hyping the game. We're not, it's standpoints like yours that make it appear as if we are because the bar is beeing set so low by people like you that even the slightest enthusiasm is considered over hype. We're the realists here, you're the sceptic. Our line is drawn evenly, your line is drawn where you want it to be.

ThisGuy

Ugh the wait is killing me. I need to brush up on my math skills for fall semester but lordy lordy lordy do I want this game.

All these people with the game and no news on 30 or 60 frames per second?

Get on the ball people! I need to know if I should go with PS4 or PC!

UCBooties

I think the animal and "space police" behavior seems to be very simplistic, for example. There's been posts hoping that the species on different planets will have their own behavior or social patterns. I know some people are hoping to be able to watch different animals interact with each other and all that.

I hope I'm wrong but the impression I've gotten is that there's basically three behavior settings for animals. 1. Attack you on sight. 2. Attack you if you attack them. 3. Ignore the player and run away if attacked.

I think the behavior patterns will be easily recognized from one planet to the next. Just as one example.

Well, Hello Games has said that a predator/prey system and ecosystems are in the game. It remains to see how well those systems work but it's not unreasonable for people to expect those systems in the game and speculate about their implementation.

I think you're getting some terse responses because people that have been following the game for a while are getting pretty tired of people stumbling bleary-eyed into threads about the game and asking, "but what it it's terrible and boring and doesn't live up to your expectations?"

Also, asking people to find you the video or interview that is going to sell the game to you is obnoxious. If you've watched a lot of videos like you claim then you've probably seen most of what we have. If you're not sold on the game then that's fine, but expecting us to sell you on it or justify why were excited is grateing. If you really want to know what people see in this game you should read the posts that touch on that topic, or the thread we had two weeks ago "Why I'm excited for No Man's Sky."

What you'll find a great deal of is people talking about limitless exploration, or the sense of adventure and discovery, not really a lot about specific systems or features. Maybe the game's not for you, or you should wait until after release to see some impressions for the released game.

GHG

Did my post sound hostile? Kill the village dog?

I don't understand the No Man's Sky community, the defenders are some of the most aggressive people I've ever encountered on gaming side. I wasn't even criticizing the game, I just was explaining what I thought personally was missing for me to be a day one purchase.

Yeh and if nfl 2017 was fifa 2017 then it would be a day one purchase for me. Don't see me going into the nfl threads saying "this game is the wrong type of football game for me to be interested in it...". People have become agressive because not a single page goes by in these threads without someone saying "I wish it was more like ***** game" or, at worst, simply spouting bullshit about the game.

Shits boring at this stage. The game is pretty much out, either you want the game or you don't. Its quite simple really.

RiverKwai

It's speculation, that's all. Myself and other people on here who have been following this game will be more than happy to play the game we've been allowed to see by Sean. The trick is not to invest emotionally in the speculation because then that could lead to possible disappointment and the feeling it's less than what we thought. We've heard something about the animals for instance, something that seems to have been verified by the recent show over in China, which in turn then gave something 65daysofstatic have said more credibility, but I and others aren't expecting it, we'd just be pleased if it was there.

It seems to me that those who aren't interested in this game not only want to keep telling us that they're not interested in the game but also want to negatively influence those that ARE interested in the game. Case in point, you. Your approach it to suggest fans are over hyping the game and so we're going to be disappointed. What you don't seem to understand is YOU don't know what's in the game either so it's clear from some people's posts that they 'hope' the game disappoints to 'teach us a lesson and prove they were right all along'. Why?

Please stop assuming fans are over hyping the game. We're not, it's standpoints like yours that make it appear as if we are because the bar is beening set so low by people like you that even the slightest enthusiasm is considered over hype. We're the realists here, you're the sceptic. Our line is drawn evenly, your line is drawn where you want it to be.

96617-taxi-driver-clapping-gif-Rober-MD3l.gif

I'm not sure I understand how this is a limitation. Aggression, self-defense, and flight are pretty exhaustive in this context. Like, I'd say almost any AI in any game can be categorized as falling into one of these slots. It hardly seems like a criticism.

iosefe

I'm not sure I understand how this is a limitation. Aggression, self-defense, and flight are pretty exhaustive in this context. Like, I'd say almost any AI in any game can be categorized as falling into one of these slots. It hardly seems like a criticism.

i chose the invisible 4th option!

Every animal wants to be my friend

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
OS. Been a part of that community since 2006. Lurked there a good 4-5 years prior, lol.

Was heavy into MLB The Show after ASB & MVP were no more.

I've never even heard of it. Did you manage to get anything yet? It struck me that perhaps one of the reasons it 'felt' different was because I saw 60fps footage and I've only ever seen 30fps footage. Has it been verified to run at 60fps yet?

ymgve

There could have been more advanced behaviors, like attacking with a herd if the herd is large enough, or running away to lure the player into a trap. But this is just one small system of many, so you can't expect FEAR level AI from the animals.

We already know there are prey-predator interactions, that animals will drink at watering holes, go to sleep at night. Sean gave examples he saw of carnivorous plants eating birds, and a shark coming up to snatch a carcass floating in the water

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
We already know there are prey-predator interactions, that animals will drink at watering holes, go to sleep at night. Sean gave examples he saw of carnivorous plants eating birds, and a shark coming up to snatch a carcass floating in the water

In one of the vids, when they look at the animals, there was a list of animal behaviours down the left hand side. One of those choices was 'pounce'.

I'm not expecting the greatest AI out there but as long as it's serviceable, I'm happy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've never even heard of it. Did you manage to get anything yet? It struck me that perhaps one of the reasons it 'felt' different was because I saw 60fps footage and I've only ever seen 30fps footage. Has it been verified to run at 60fps yet?

It is definitely the definitive sports gaming site out there. Mainly sports gamers, but there is non-sports game section as well. Very tiny compared to here with that, but the opposite for their sports gaming coverage/forums/developer interaction. I used to fly out to San Diego for the MLB The Show focus testing 'community events'.

He has not responded yet... it is late here in the States. Will probably respond tomorrow. And I will update with what he said about graphics elaboration and framerate.

This person made the same assumption I was thinking he meant...

Burns11 said:
I would guess that is tied to the "don't expect to go flying right out of the box". I'm guessing when you start the game it doesn't just plop you onto a planet, and everything inside structures was just kind of there, nothing great but not garbage either.

Whoa! More complex than even I was expecting. Nice!

On a side note... I caved and pre-ordered the LE NMS HDD Cover from the UK Amazon. Estimated to deliver a day or two after the game launches.

$24 total with overseas shipping USD exchange. Not gonna complain. I usually never customize, but I thought it looked nice, and I am catching the support fever.

I'm not expecting the greatest AI out there but as long as it's serviceable, I'm happy.

I guess that's one of those things that's personal. Some people want multiplayer or base-building, I want really crazy AI like in Rain World. Because the more they can sell each ecosystem as "alive" and complex, the better. All the footage we've seen so far of AI is very simplistic. I'm sure Sean is holding back the good stuff (for whatever reason), but I too am not expecting anything stellar. But it's probably something they can improve down the road as the AI is not procedural.

p.s. thanks for the insider updates, DeepEnigma!
edit: quoting your info for the new page so people don't miss it. interested to hear what the "don't expect mindblowing graphics out of the box" means but heartened by the framerate comment.
So the guy I know from Operation Sports that I posted in here earlier this afternoon, he is the one that got $1250 for the game on eBay. He only paid $150 for it.

The deal was too good not to sell it. EBay even called both paties over the phone to verify transaction, and it has been Fed Ex overnighted to the purchaser.

He said he is both happy (for the money) and sad (cause he is craving more).

Here is some quick impressions from him...
My quick impressions

1. Don't expect mind-blowing graphics out the box

2. Don't expect to take off flying when the game starts. Must put in work

3. Game was extremely smooth. No frame rate issues at all

4. Expect to possibly not fire up another game for a while. I could tell in my short time that this game is gonna destroy some relationships and happy homes.

Again I apologize for bringing the hype this evening. I should of just kept it to myself but no way in hell did I expect this kind of offer.

I guess that's one of those things that's personal. Some people want multiplayer or base-building, I want really crazy AI like in Rain World. Because the more they can sell each ecosystem as "alive" and complex, the better. All the footage we've seen so far of AI is very simplistic. I'm sure Sean is holding back the good stuff (for whatever reason), but I too am not expecting anything stellar. But it's probably something they can improve down the road as the AI is not procedural.

You're not gonna get anything close to what's happening in Rain World. Set your expectations way, way lower than that.

To be fair Joar is probably up there with the guy who did FEAR's AI and should probably be applying that AI in the tech field or something, not just confined to games. As much as I'd love it, I dont expect any game other than Rain World to have Rain World-level AI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom