• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

mokeyjoe

Not surprising at $60.

I actually like this game and dont regret buying it at that price, but my favorite series of all time is Mass Effect and I loved the planetary exploration in ME1. I'd have a VERY hard time justifying any of my friends to buy, even at $20 or below. I think theyd be bored.

I was really disappointed they dropped the exploration in ME2. Sure it was super limited but I loved the concept and wish they'd built on it. I would have preferred more of that and less of the story stuff tbh. Mako in NMS would be amazing, lol.

Phil Spencer: "I enjoyed No Man's Sky"

This site would crash. Possibly beyond recovery.

Also, I've played this game probably 100s of hours already. I've enjoyed it, but it has crashed on me a few times. Those crashes really hurt my feelings, plus I'm feeling very pouty about never finding a Brontosaurus. So I'm going to beg Sony for a refund. Not because I dislike the game, but I'd really enjoy all of the virtual back pats I'd get on this site for doing so and posting my 100% legit experience.

Thoughts?

(Note from author: this is a joke)

Kilau

I can't believe I'm going to type this, but... I really, REALLY want Phil Spencer to do a new interview this week, so the entire front page can be filled with threads based on his individual quotes. It would actually be refreshing at this point.

lol yup, I posted this in one of the refund threads.

9DuSeAp.jpg

mokeyjoe

Also, I've played this game probably 100s of hours already. I've enjoyed it, but it has crashed on me a few times. Those crashes really hurt my feelings, plus I'm feeling very pouty about never finding a Brontosaurus. So I'm going to beg Sony for a refund. Not because I dislike the game, but I'd really enjoy all of the virtual back pats I'd get on this site for doing so and posting my 100% legit experience.

Thoughts?

Lol.

Here have mine. He was huge too. Muahahaha!

IMG_20160817_042042.jpg

So I entered a the Skrudraivur system last night, searching for more evidence of Big Flora in 1.07. After encountering an underwhelming ocean world, I came across Piratcov, a completely barren planet remarkably Moon-like in its surface. I was about to leave that hunk of rock when I ducked into a cave, which opened up into the largest cave chambers I've seen. Reminded me of The Goonies. I don't know if you can tell the scale here, but those cave ceilings felt like they were 80 feet tall. Not only that, but vortex cubes as far as the eye could see.

The last planet in the system is the complete opposite. Tecnicolore is, after 30-40 planets, the first idyllic planet I've been to. Chill Sentinels, no environmental hazards, grass everywhere. It's not my *ideal* as those trees use the moss texture from the ruins that spin around as you turn, and the nebula at night is overbearing (I really hope Hello tones that down). But it's pretty damn nice, and it feels really good to not have to worry about recharging stuff constantly. Not sure yet it'll be worth my time monetarily, but I think I'll be spending more time here before I move on in search of more Big Flora.

Is this NMS or LOZ Breath of the Wind?
g7Nkl85.jpg

Aenima

Lol.

Here have mine. He was huge too. Muahahaha!

IMG_20160817_042042.jpg

Im easy with more than 100h in the game and still havent seen one of those long necks ones... and just 2 days ago i found butterflies :p

Its hilarious how some guys play it for a few hours and think they saw everthing that is in the game after jumping to a second star system. ¯\_(シ)_/¯

Thoughts?

Sean Murray lied!

When I was watching footage from the IGN firsts and asked myself "but what do you do?", I proceeded to ask GAF and came up with my own theories and decided to preorder based on these ideas padded by Murray's promise of a deep multiplayer component.

What I got matched the footage, but didn't answer my question.

Sean Murray is the worst and deserves what's come to him.

Z3M0G

Has it been discussed in length that Sony did the QA for this game prior to release? I found that point very note-worthy. Not to blame them, but it places Sony more directly involved and invested in the development of the game. Many people attack you for mentioning Sony as having any blame at all for the situation this game is currently in.

mokeyjoe

Im easy with more than 100h in the game and still havent seen one of those long necks ones... and just 2 days ago i found butterflies :p

Its hilarious how some guys play it for a few hours and think they saw everthing that is in the game after jumping to a second star system. ¯_(シ)_/¯

Yeah, I mean I saw swarms of sea snakes the other day. I don't know if i just hadn't seen them before or they came in the patch. There are definitely some things that are way out on the edges of that bell curve.

Shouldn't you be busy contacting your local government representative detailing all the trauma NMS existing is causing you the games industry, and how consumers need to rise up and crush HG in order to make games great again?
Nah I did that yesterday. Hello Games will be fine but they should probably refund most of the people they've defrauded, it'd be cool.

I was sorry to hear that Sean killed your dog and stole all of your money. I would be just as mad as you if Sean Murray, "the evil lying liar who lies", perpetrated all those horrible things against me. My condolences.

You should go into any one of the 12 (god I wish that was hyperbole) NMS hate threads and make your voice be heard. This injustice cannot stand. You must be made whole again, and Hello Games cannot be allowed to damage this fragile industry any longer with their masterful con-artistry. I bet they're rolling around in piles of your money laughing maniacally RIGHT NOW! THOSE BASTARDS!
I don't know which post you read but it sure wasn't mine because I'm a cat person and he died a while ago because he was old (R.I.P Buddy).

Anyway good to know this thread is down to have a fair and balanced discussion about this game and I feel like I'm definitely not going to get attacked with smug, smarmy, & sarcastic posts. I will keep that in mind the next time I reply with my honest thoughts about something.

Raist

Banned
Yeah, I was always confused by the 'what do you do ' thing, as it seemed pretty clear, and indeed it turned out to be doing what was shown. I remember posting multiple times that if they didnt like what they were seeing then they shouldn't buy the game. It was all exacerbated by a toxic fanboy crowd who were projecting all sorts of deeper gameplay mechanics onto it. What I saw was kind of like a walking simulator with light gameplay elements sprinkled in.

I don't mind people being disappointed in the game, or just not liking it, it doesn't affect me at all, but the noise around the game makes it very difficult to find anywhere to discuss the game itself, what it gets right and wrong, and obscures what, I believe, is still some pretty cool technology.

I think there is a big future for procedural generation of this sort. People say they prefer handcrafted worlds, but I'm always disappointed by the couple of miles square, walled in areas in so called open world games. The explorable areas in NMS (combined) are way bigger than Earth many times over. Biomes may be handled on a planet by planet basis, but going forward there's no need for other games to follow this route. That and it continuously pumps out terrain that manages to look much more natural and organic than games such as Far Cry 3, alongside more varied flora and better animal AI.

To me it reminds me a little of the really early days of 3d games. The promise of 3d worlds was there but I always thought they were horribly ugly and limited, and couldn't understand why anyone would choose to play one over the awesome looking, smooth playing 2d games out there. If anyone ever played a Freescape (TM) game they'll know what I'm talking about.

So yeah, maybe it is currently more like a tech demo in some respects, a little over ambitious and not ready for prime time. I guess I feel like an early adopter, that maybe it's a bit overpriced and rough around the edges, but also, as an early adopter, it's nice to be on the ground floor and get a glimpse of what the future of a particular technology might be like.

Their procedural tech is something else, that's for sure. So far I've only seen either really goofy, limited stuff, or used for maps etc.

For something that is not (entirely) controlled, it can sure produce an awful lot of breathtaking landscapes. Their lighting engine is quite neat, too.

Anyway good to know this thread is down to have a fair and balanced discussion about this game and I feel like I'm definitely not going to get attacked with smug, smarmy, & sarcastic posts. I will keep that in mind the next time I reply with my honest thoughts about something.
lmao come on man:

Well deserved and I'd be fine with it going lower. What's below Mostly Negative anyway? I think it's resting point should be at a spot where it's surrounded by Greenlit simulators and abandoned early access titles.

Oh it's overwhelmingly negative, that's the score where No Man's Sky belongs.

Let's try to focus on the topic of the game instead of re-litigating Hello or any of the drama around it. Don't let the hate train people who pop in here derail the thread.

And IMO, anyone who is a defense force for the game is just as in the wrong as the people in the other NMS threads. This game absolutely has some problems and Sean acted in some ways that were not completely above board. I personally have some issues with misrepresentations of certain components (no orbital mechanics is a big one), and other things that were just terrible design decisions. I think it does Hello a disservice if people who play the game are sycophantic in their support, and healthy discussion about NMS's flaws is a net positive as long as the tone of discussion stays positive.

But despite its current flaws as a game, it is also one fantastic emotion machine that continually generates beats of wonder. And I think most people in here, like I do, have faith that Hello wants NMS to be a better product and have the best of intentions in trying to make that happen.

Seriously, there are literally 12 other threads you can go into and have a nice talk about the issues around the game, lets try and keep this thread about playing the game.

Aenima

That's my honest opinion do you want me to go into more depth? Fair and balanced does mean people that have negative opinions should be allowed to voice them, right?

No ofence. But there are DOZENS of treads in this forum, where all of "you" already voiced your opinion about the game, leave this one for ppl that is enjoying the game and sharing they findings and experiences.

daveo42

Banned
|OT3| Incoming Storm

That's my honest opinion do you want me to go into more depth? Fair and balanced does mean people that have negative opinions should be allowed to voice them, right?

Negative opinions sure. You're just here to thread shit. I mean what are you even doing here if you hate the game and aren't playing it anymore. There are dozens of other places you can do that on GAF. We get it. You don't like the game. No need to reiterate in the one place where people are fine with what they purchased and continue to play it on a regular basis regardless of the negatives the game has.

Actually I would because in terms of "balance" your post is entirety negative. Balance implies an equal measure of two things. What do you like about the game? If your intention is to enter a thread of people enjoying the game and endlessly shit on it, there's nothing fair or balanced about that whatsoever. There are plenty of other places to express your dislike/criticisms of No Man's Sky. This particular thread isn't one of them.

|OT3| You've Learnt the Gek Word For 'gek'
I learned the Vy'keen word for "grah" the other evening. Isn't that like saying I learned the Japanese word for "tsunami"?

Seriously, there are literally 12 other threads you can go into and have a nice talk about the issues around the game, lets try and keep this thread about playing the game.
I didn't post the picture proclaiming WOW I merely responded to it. I apologize I guess.

No ofence. But there are DOZENS of treads in this forum, where all of "you" already voiced your opinion about the game, leave this one for ppl that is enjoying the game and sharing they findings and experiences.
See above. And am I not allowed to share my findings and experiences because they happened to be negative?
|OT3| You've Learnt the Gek Word For 'gek'
|OT3|Gek is dutch for insane.

Rookhelm

So, after getting to the end of the Atlas storyline, I found myself with still 170k lightyears to go to the center

I've got all 3 drive upgrades (stacked together), get around 1600ly per jump (though only 400ly closer to the center each time), and go through a black hole every jump.

With having to repair my stuff every jump, this is taking a really really really really long time. I finally got below 100k ly, but I'm having a hard time staying motivated to finish the journey.

am I doing this right?

Actually I would because in terms of "balance" your post is entirety negative. Balance implies an equal measure of two things. What do you like about the game? If your intention is to enter a thread of people enjoying the game and endlessly shit on it, there's nothing fair or balanced about that whatsoever. There are plenty of other places to express your dislike/criticisms of No Man's Sky. This particular thread isn't one of them.
The balance comes from the fact that I doubt I'm posting in this thread alone, and while I'm thrilled you guys are all on the positivity express train (and I have nothing against that) I don't think my opinion needs to be shunned because it doesn't correspond to your views. I did play this game, I have opinions and I'd like to express those.

And to humor you:

I liked flying between planets but I also disliked the eventual 50 second wait time when I was just planet hopping to see if the procedural thingy would ever do something really interesting.

Raist

Banned
Anyway good to know this thread is down to have a fair and balanced discussion about this game and I feel like I'm definitely not going to get attacked with smug, smarmy, & sarcastic posts.

Nah I did that yesterday. Hello Games will be fine but they should probably refund most of the people they've defrauded, it'd be cool.

When browsing post history isn't even necessary.

I liked flying between planets but I also disliked the eventual 50 second wait time when I was just planet hopping to see if the procedural thingy would ever do something really interesting and it didn't.

You liked flying between planets but you didn't like the time it took to fly between planets? Fifty seconds is pretty damn quick when you're talking about the distances involved.

You liked flying between planets but you didn't like the time it took to fly between planets? Fifty seconds is pretty damn quick when you're talking about the distances involved.

As in I really liked pressing that pulse drive button for the first time and feeling like I was going super fast. I stopped liking it when I realized I wasn't actually going super-fast because that planet was still a minute of not touching my controller away and I'd probably just land and take off immediately again because it was the same as my last 5 planets.

While I understand 50 seconds might be quick if you're trying to respect the scale of a solar system, not touching your controller for minutes at a time while you watch an orb approach does get rather dull.

As in I really liked pressing that pulse drive button for the first time and feeling like I was going super fast. I stopped liking it when I realized I wasn't actually going super-fast because that planet was still a minute of not touching my controller away and I'd probably just land and take off immediately again because it was the same as my last 5 planets.

While I understand 50 seconds might be quick if you're trying to respect the scale of a solar system, not touching your controller for minutes at a time while you watch an orb approach does get rather dull.

How would you do the travel differently? It had to be relatively quick but also give the sense of scale.

Ever waited out a storm in your ship?

I just did but it wasn't in a pretty place so it didn't obscure my view too much unfortunately. I'd like to have had more effects but i was on the fringes and then a carnivore sat outside my canopy so i bailed. Also i suppose this thread is my ship too ;)

When browsing post history isn't even necessary.

How would you do the travel differently? It had to be relatively quick but also give the sense of scale.

I would put progression in the game that would dramatically speed up the pulse drive if not outright replace it with a warp to planet function. I tried the pulse drive upgrades stacked to be optimal and still found the travel times frustratingly long.

Alternatively I would make space more interesting by providing a variety of objects for users to interact with outside of the same copy-pastad space station and meaningless asteroids. Think along the lines of abandoned science vessels, ancient relics etc. As it currently stands space is essentially a meaningless time sink when it should be one of the defining features of the game.

I just did but it wasn't in a pretty place so it didn't obscure my view too much unfortunately. I'd like to have had more effects but i was on the fringes and then a carnivore sat outside my canopy so i bailed. Also i suppose this thread is my ship too ;)

I did it last night and it was kind of immersive. I had the Cubs game on my iPad in front of me and I picked up my phone and browsed GAF until it went away. Imagine I would do something similar on an unexplored planet waiting out a super heated gas storm.

Aenima

When u add upgrades, it goes faster. What used to take 1 minute in pulse drive with no upgrades will take around 30 seconds fully upgraded. Not only is slower it also consumes more fuel.

Edit: nevermind, you upgraded, you just wanted a fast travel (instant travel) option :p

I did it last night and it was kind of immersive. I had the Cubs game on my iPad in front of me and I picked up my phone and browsed GAF until it went away. Imagine I would do something similar on an unexplored planet waiting out a super heated gas storm.

I used to find myself listening to a podcast while sat in my ship or a shelter listening to the rain pattering against the walls. I like a good rain sound for some reason.

edit: one beastie left to find on the planet i'm currently on and i'm thinking of fobbing it off as it's not a bird or cave beastie, i've already tagged them.

I think people complaining about the scale change need to look at this post to find out why evil Hello Games decided to change what was originally intended.

I would put progression in the game that would dramatically speed up the pulse drive if not outright replace it with a warp to planet function. I tried the pulse drive upgrades stacked to be optimal and still found the travel times frustratingly long.

Alternatively I would make space more interesting by providing a variety of objects for users to interact with outside of the same copy-pastad space station and meaningless asteroids. Think along the lines of abandoned science vessels, ancient relics etc. As it currently stands space is essentially a meaningless time sink when it should be one of the defining features of the game.

Your second point is hard to argue with. The concentration of asteroids to dumb the game down is a bummer. If someone runs out of warp pulse fuel and has to travel at impulse for 20 minutes, it's their own fault in my opinion. Having something interesting (unique) in each or every few systems wouldn't have hurt either. Something to actually explore for, which is what the game is supposed to be about.

I think people complaining about the scale change need to look at this post to find out why evil Hello Games decided to change what was originally intended.

What scale change? Systems have been the same since the beginning. The only scale change was making the galaxy itself way larger or spread out in the day one patch. Having planets further away in systems could be easily overcome with a faster pulse drive. The only buffer time the game needs is when you enter the atmosphere of a planet. Making a planet grow larger on your screen with no LOD change isn't exactly taxing on the system.

Top Bottom