• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Finally got my screenshots off of my PS4. Some of my favourite ones:

OAE2B2l.jpg

Ok so that fix for the Survival rank was a bit half-assed.

If you had already upgraded the rank, you will have to stay as many sols on an extreme planet as you did before the patch 1.07 to get it counting up again (you may not need to do this on the same planet as this i the part that was fixed but someone else can test that).

It still wasn't counting up for me after the patch, but now that I waited for it to catch up all those sols and got the next rank, it now does not reset the timer anymore if I leave the planet. Once landed again on an extreme planet, it starts counting up again from your last progress.

Raist

Banned
So I tested the two methods to take HUD-less screens on PS4.
The timing is pretty much the same, if you really press both exactly at the same time you'll like end up with a bit of UI on the right hand side of the screen. At least, that's what I get in both cases.

But yeah, the advantage of using Options and not the touchpad is that you can pause the game that way.

How are y'all naming your systems? It seems like many of you are going for the jokey planets, but aside from the one person using hobo code for every system I haven't heard. Myself, I'm naming systems after the liquor or cocktails that the nebulas remind me of. So, things like Miimosa, Absinthe, Bloudimare. I try to make planets and systems sound sci-fi even if the names are silly.

Every system, every planet I've visited is named "Smurf [something]." Sometimes, I'll add something descriptive like "Smurf Hoth" is a winter planet and "Smurf Inferno" is... you get the picture.

See-through butterflies :)

UAaY1s0uJlmlG.gif

Awesome!

curb

Banned
After seeing YET ANOTHER thread on NMS refunds, this was a welcome set of posts to lighten my mood this morning. Thanks.

I love that thread title. "non-gaming mainstream press" - it's redflagdeals which here in Canada, it's where the bottom feeders of deal hoarders go. Hardly mainstream press.

Raist

Banned
I love that thread title. "non-gaming mainstream press" - it's redflagdeals which here in Canada, it's where the bottom feeders of deal hoarders go. Hardly mainstream press.

No but, it's like, on the front page of the BBC. Although I'm not sure which BBC (OP didn't provide a link, just a quote) because I can't see it.

Maybe it's like Best Buying Cheats, or something.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I kinda hit a wall now, after getting 48 slots exo and 48 slot ship... I now have these slots with nothing really to put in them since I don't really need resources anymore... they give out warp fuel components like free samples at Costco....

Still fun to see new things.. but damn it hit me when I went to a exo-upgrade out of habit and it's nothing since I'm at 48.. and I was like.. damn.. what now.

Shanks

Does it bother anyone else that the trophy list says "No Mans Sky Trophies" instead of just No Mans Sky? I wonder if they could correct that? Slightly annoys me for very little reason.

Just got back from a weekend of camping amongst Northern California coastal redwoods and definitely had some of the same feelings hiking and being dwarfed by nature, that I do while exploring some of the more dramatic planets I've seen in NMS. Just exploring in this game-- as with hiking with no one else around-- with my imagination filling the gaps, is really satisfying.

Definitely got a NMS BigThings mod vibe standing amongst those ancient redwoods.

I'd say new content would be 4-6 months out at least.

Holy Fuck, there'd be rioting in the streets if that happened! People are losing their minds as it is, fuck me, that'd be armageddon! :D

The tone and rhetoric oozing out of those corners is right up there with GG.

Z3M0G

In order for Base Building to have any value, wouldn't they need to make some fundamental changes to how the game works?

Will the base follow you when you warp to a new star system? If not, will you be able to return to it easily at any time? Because right now, returning to previously explored locations is not exactly something easy to do in the game. (Unless it becomes far easier in the late game, because in the beginning it feels incredibly difficult.)

I'd say new content would be 4-6 months out at least.

The release version was abysmal and few would dispute that. Their "Stay quiet and fix" approach has been the best approach they could take. They would be idiots if HG didn't transition in phase 2 "Stay quiet and update content asap to match up with pre release features that are missing."

I am thinking we will hear or see something end of this month.

EDIT: They could do a lot of salvaging and mending if they pump out new content at no cost and continue to fix things over the next few months.

In order for Base Building to have any value, wouldn't they need to make some fundamental changes to how the game works?

Will the base follow you when you warp to a new star system? If not, will you be able to return to it easily at any time? Because right now, returning to previously explored locations is not exactly something easy to do in the game. (Unless it becomes far easier in the late game, because in the beginning it feels incredibly difficult.)

I agree. Also, imagine it being shareable with other players, leaving behind messages and loot.

Raist

Banned

It is actually incredibly easy. All you need is to set a waypoint from the beginning. Of course, the game doesn't flat out tell you this, but in practice, it can be done in 10secs.

As for bases. What if you build bases on freighters?

Seiniyta

Build a teleporter on a planet you want to your base to be. Teleport from every space station to your base planet. Solved!

I don't think they're going for some kind of complete sandbox kit allowing the playing to build some sort of empire; it's likely that base building will give you the ability to build a structure that allows access to trade-- either through a Galactic Trading Terminal or landing pad for AI ships to cycle through; storage tanks to dump larger quantities of a resource in and hold onto to sell or, more usefully, to use in crafting more powerful upgrades quickly when you are swapping ships & MTs; maybe your base could be populated with an NPC or two depending on the system you're in or races you have good standing with. It would be great if your storage accounts are linked between bases, across systems. I'd love to dump all my mined Iridium and Nickel off on a world rich with them, and have access to them later on if I build another base. That would be great.

Ultimately I think base building will be more utilitarian than cosmetic; they will be things you can build that can make gathering, storing, and using resources less laborious. I don't think they are meant to be vanity pieces to show off, especially since, as you pointed out, trekking back to a particular system is currently cumbersome.

TyrantII

Build a teleporter on a planet you want to your base to be. Teleport from every space station to your base planet. Solved!

They also said they were overhauling the waypoint system / star system viewer. My guess is to provide more information, and make traveling back to previous discoveries more intuitive.

Raist

Banned
Heh, just realized you can "stack" a resource onto a piece of equipment to recharge it, instead of opening the menu to select stuff. It's a lot faster.

Or let us construct our own "Warp Gate" in space around our "home" system. The system already exists with Black Holes, that code could be re-purposed to allow us to link whichever system we like with our home one.

You know what I wish this single-player nomadic adventure game had? A way to be stationary with other players.

Base-building makes no sense in a game whose core concept is "don't stay in one place." Having a way to build and customize ships? That makes sense. Making giant freighters that can house other ships you make? That makes sense. You could have a whole fleet; a nimble fighter, a giant cargo transport for Venom Sac runs, a general explorer for when you want to pop surface side and explore. But a stationary base on a single planet just runs counter to the whole point of the game. Even the title tells you this isn't about finding a home and possessing it. Although I do think it says something interesting about our psyche that when confronted with endless options the natural response is to plop down and say "here's good." There's comfort in the familiar. But that's not really what exploration is about.

mokeyjoe

I don't think they're going for some kind of complete sandbox kit allowing the playing to build some sort of empire; it's likely that base building will give you the ability to build a structure that allows access to trade-- either through a Galactic Trading Terminal or landing pad for AI ships to cycle through; storage tanks to dump larger quantities of a resource in and hold onto to sell or, more usefully, to use in crafting more powerful upgrades quickly when you are swapping ships & MTs; maybe your base could be populated with an NPC or two depending on the system you're in or races you have good standing with. It would be great if your storage accounts are linked between bases, across systems. I'd love to dump all my mined Iridium and Nickel off on a world rich with them, and have access to them later on if I build another base. That would be great.

Ultimately I think base building will be more utilitarian than cosmetic; they will be things you can build that can make gathering, storing, and using resources less laborious. I don't think they are meant to be vanity pieces to show off, especially since, as you pointed out, trekking back to a particular system is currently cumbersome.

I'm thinking it could be modular. The NPC buildings sometimes have separate modules linked by corridors. I'm not a Minecraft kind of guy so that's what I hope anyway - I'm more interested to see if there are new gameplay mechanics associated with it.

You know what I wish this single-player nomadic adventure game had? A way to be stationary with other players.

Lol, yeah. In game about endlessly exploring strange alien worlds what people really want is:

1. Green grass and blue skies
2. Somewhere to settle down
3. An ending.

Raist

Banned
I'm thinking it could be modular. The NPC buildings sometimes have separate modules linked by corridors. I'm not a Minecraft kind of guy so that's what I hope anyway - I'm more interested to see if there are new gameplay mechanics associated with it.

I don't think there can be like, super deep gameplay implications. At least not unless they have 100 people dedicated on just that.

I guess, maybe setting some resources for sale, and ships would come and go and potentially buy stuff?

This post makes me concerned about time time sink to achieve things in the game... can someone clarify for me? What are the average playtimes to do these things?

- Atlas Pass
- Reach Center
- anything else to note?

You can clear the atlas path in 1 hour with a ship that enough fuel and upgrades
So for me it was 1 hour of prep time ( making those wrap cells and clearing space ) + 1 hours of wraping around.

Reaching the center varies.. A LOT

daveo42

Banned
You need something to use that money for though, there's really nothing worth buying.

I'm saving up for a new ship. The process of breaking down and moving stuff over from one ship to another is a bit more of a hassle than I'm willing to deal with. As stated above, freighters will probably be super expensive. In a perfect universe, this game would end up becoming similar to EVE in terms of buying larger ships and engaging in galactic trade and all out war. Not sure if we'll ever get to that point tho.

mokeyjoe

I don't think there can be like, super deep gameplay implications. At least not unless they have 100 people dedicated on just that.

I guess, maybe setting some resources for sale, and ships would come and go and potentially buy stuff?

Maybe. But one thing this game has is lots of potential to build pretty much anything into it. This probably goes against the purity of the experience or whatever, but any mechanics they add to the game will always be optional.

I mean they could add ground vehicles, expand on the pet mechanics, set up observatories to find distant things (actually distant, lol), maybe some basic farming thing. What they have now is the most open of open world games from the galactic scale down to small planet side details. That's a hell of a canvas, they can add what they want.

somme

It would be good it we could kill different animals from around the universe and mount their dismembered heads around our bases. I would never want to do this is real life but there are some horrible crab creatures in NMS that shouldn't be allowed to live.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm saving up for a new ship. The process of breaking down and moving stuff over from one ship to another is a bit more of a hassle than I'm willing to deal with. As stated above, freighters will probably be super expensive. In a perfect universe, this game would end up becoming similar to EVE in terms of buying larger ships and engaging in galactic trade and all out war. Not sure if we'll ever get to that point tho.

That won't ever happen, not all-out war.. breaking down and upgrading from downed ships is trivial at best. Just don't go crazy upgrading a ship until you've got 48 slots. Took me 5hrs or so to go from 30 something to 48... finding the 48 that's the style you like takes the longest time.

You only need to fix the pulse and jump jets... and the resources to do that are abundant on every planet.

mokeyjoe

It would be good it we could kill different animals from around the universe and mount their dismembered heads around our bases. I would never want to do this is real life but there are some horrible crab creatures in NMS that shouldn't be allowed to live.

Lol. I was thinking of splicing them together to make your own genetic monstrosities.

The planet of Dr Moreau.

I would like to discover a planet , build a base on it and have a permanent waypoint ( on the galaxy map on it ) so i can go back to my planet ( and base ) and maybe decide to explore in another direction.
The things with this game is that , yes it encourages you to move on , but every explorer need a place to fall back , a place to call home. If i could build bases and explore systems around it , it would make the exploration even more enjoyable.

somme

Lol. I was thinking of splicing them together to make your own genetic monstrosities.

The planet of Dr Moreau.

Seeding planets with uber-predators and seeing what would happen would be fun. Not sure if the code allows for that kind of stuff.

I'm hoping the let us know at some point what can and can't be added. So we can tailor suggestions accordingly.

Raist

Banned

So you want to roleplay Predator, basically.

Top Bottom