• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

DedValve

Banned
You know what would be beyond epic? A way to make a space station zoo.

So you are in charge of making a space station in the system of your choice and you have several preset room shapes and sizes all empty. You must fill the room with flora and fauna of the animal you want and maybe some small additional resources to keep the room comfy for the animal.

So something like a special scanner or miner that collects dna and your able to clone it and once you've gotten at least 1 animal and 10 flora the room will automatically fill up and you can name the animal and give it a description.

Nothing too intense so maybe like there will be prebuilt space stations with a certain number of rooms and all you have to do is upload your scan information. And to go even further farfetched is maybe have those space stations save on the servers so other players can visit them.

Like I just really want to collect a few cool animals and dump them in one spot where I can easily admire them all.

WOW

35d5210b7ffb6c68100c649a9f1c0a74.png

mokeyjoe

You know what would be beyond epic? A way to make a space station zoo.

So you are in charge of making a space station in the system of your choice and you have several preset room shapes and sizes all empty. You must fill the room with flora and fauna of the animal you want and maybe some small additional resources to keep the room comfy for the animal.

So something like a special scanner or miner that collects dna and your able to clone it and once you've gotten at least 1 animal and 10 flora the room will automatically fill up and you can name the animal and give it a description.

Nothing too intense so maybe like there will be prebuilt space stations with a certain number of rooms and all you have to do is upload your scan information. And to go even further farfetched is maybe have those space stations save on the servers so other players can visit them.

Like I just really want to collect a few cool animals and dump them in one spot where I can easily admire them all.

I thought of this too. I also thought maybe they could add race specific paths or challenges, so that research of that sort could play into your standing with the Korvax for instance. Maybe more of a survival/combat thing for Vykeen, and trade for Gek.

The hate train is real, I honestly have no idea what people expected this game to be.

It's exactly what I thought it would be, endless exploration.

From what I can gather some people wanted a FPS, EVE Online clone and/or are just super nitpicking. Like one thing HG mentioned briefly was the only thing they ever wanted in the game.
I don't get it, I quite enjoy the game.

Well deserved and I'd be fine with it going lower. What's below Mostly Negative anyway? I think it's resting point should be at a spot where it's surrounded by Greenlit simulators and abandoned early access titles.

Oh it's overwhelmingly negative, that's the score where No Man's Sky belongs.

I've been lucky enough to find a planet full of Emeril deposits. Only two slots away from a fulll exosuit now. Can't wait to finally ditch my clunker of a ship.

Meanwhile the PSN version is still at 4/5 stars.

I know the PC version has some additional technical issues but I'm not surprised about that difference TBH.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I get some of the missing content criticisms, but I'd love to know what people's expectations were regarding the general tone of the game.

That said, I can't blame other people for not finding the exploration aspect as exciting as I find it.

Rice fields!

Same planet

Well deserved and I'd be fine with it going lower. What's below Mostly Negative anyway? I think it's resting point should be at a spot where it's surrounded by Greenlit simulators and abandoned early access titles.

Shouldn't you be busy contacting your local government representative detailing all the trauma NMS existing is causing you the games industry, and how consumers need to rise up and crush HG in order to make games great again?

Raist

Banned
The hate train is real, I honestly have no idea what people expected this game to be.

From what I can gather some people wanted a FPS, EVE Online clone and/or are just super nitpicking. Like one thing HG mentioned briefly was the only thing they ever wanted in the game.

Beats me.

I think overall, we had this:

People who kept asking "but what do you do? Or is it just a walking simulator or wtf?"

People who "got it", who I think were making these summary posts which ended up being quoted over and over and over again. It's actually interesting, go back and read these posts over the years, and you'll have a hard time finding that the game that just launched is not pretty much exactly what people described.

People who went completely hyperbolic, expecting the game to mix 10 different gameplays and be super deep in terms of every single one of them. Or something.

And now here we are, crowd #2 is still pretty much around, some people are disappointed but didn't go batshit insane, and the rest is a good part of peoplepeople who haven't even touched the game, or people who are utterly disappointed who feel like they've been lied to from A to Z.

It's fairly bizarre that the major "anti-NMS" current was originally "what do you do? they keep showing demos where they walk around and that's it" but now shifted to "omg, scam artists"

curb

Banned
Will it make it to OT3? Slowed down quite a bit the past few days.

My comment wasn't a statement about us getting to an OT3, just that it seemed like a appropriate name to me.

I think the thread's longevity will depend on how soon HG gets new content out. If they were to start adding new features soon then I could see us going on for a while.

Oh it's overwhelmingly negative, that's the score where No Man's Sky belongs.

I was sorry to hear that Sean killed your dog and stole all of your money. I would be just as mad as you if Sean Murray, "the evil lying liar who lies", perpetrated all those horrible things against me. My condolences.

You should go into any one of the 12 (god I wish that was hyperbole) NMS hate threads and make your voice be heard. This injustice cannot stand. You must be made whole again, and Hello Games cannot be allowed to damage this fragile industry any longer with their masterful con-artistry. I bet they're rolling around in piles of your money laughing maniacally RIGHT NOW! THOSE BASTARDS!

curb

Banned
No Man's Sky |OT3| As seen on mainstream media site RedFlagDeals

gw9euwvelvt71pxd5qdq.gif

I was sorry to hear that Sean killed your dog and stole all of your money. I would be just as mad as you if Sean Murray, "the evil lying liar who lies", perpetrated all those horrible things against me. My condolences.

You should go into any one of the 12 (god I wish that was hyperbole) NMS hate threads and make your voice be heard. This injustice cannot stand. You must be made whole again, and Hello Games cannot be allowed to damage this fragile industry any longer with their masterful con-artistry. I bet they're rolling around in piles of your money laughing maniacally RIGHT NOW! THOSE BASTARDS!

You get one too

gw9euwvelvt71pxd5qdq.gif

Whb29

Holy Fuck, there'd be rioting in the streets if that happened! People are losing their minds as it is, fuck me, that'd be armageddon! :D

Wrong, by then people will be up in arms about the lack of career mode and frame drops in GT Sport, oh and the resolution of FFXV, not to mention the fact that SE lied and should be sued because the game can be completed in 42 hours, not 50!

Wrong, by then people will be up in arms about the lack of career mode and frame drops in GT Sport, oh and the resolution of FFXV, not to mention the fact that SE lied and should be sued because the game can be completed in 42 hours, not 50!

Don't forget The Last Guardian, that's going to take away some heat as well.

Don't forget The Last Guardian, that's going to take away some heat as well.

I can't believe I'm going to type this, but... I really, REALLY want Phil Spencer to do a new interview this week, so the entire front page can be filled with threads based on his individual quotes. It would actually be refreshing at this point.

I cannot wait to make my GOTY list this year and have NMS be in the Top 3.

A valuable element that's plentiful means easy money. Suit upgrades, at the point where I found the planet, were costing 250-300K per slot. The last slot cost 350K.
Same thing happened to me last night. Currently in a system where the last 2 planets I've visited had Emeril crystals. Been stacking a GRIP of it and selling it off.

mokeyjoe

Beats me.

I think overall, we had this:

People who kept asking "but what do you do? Or is it just a walking simulator or wtf?"

People who "got it", who I think were making these summary posts which ended up being quoted over and over and over again. It's actually interesting, go back and read these posts over the years, and you'll have a hard time finding that the game that just launched is not pretty much exactly what people described.

People who went completely hyperbolic, expecting the game to mix 10 different gameplays and be super deep in terms of every single one of them. Or something.

And now here we are, crowd #2 is still pretty much around, some people are disappointed but didn't go batshit insane, and the rest is a good part of peoplepeople who haven't even touched the game, or people who are utterly disappointed who feel like they've been lied to from A to Z.

It's fairly bizarre that the major "anti-NMS" current was originally "what do you do? they keep showing demos where they walk around and that's it" but now shifted to "omg, scam artists"

Yeah, I was always confused by the 'what do you do ' thing, as it seemed pretty clear, and indeed it turned out to be doing what was shown. I remember posting multiple times that if they didnt like what they were seeing then they shouldn't buy the game. It was all exacerbated by a toxic fanboy crowd who were projecting all sorts of deeper gameplay mechanics onto it. What I saw was kind of like a walking simulator with light gameplay elements sprinkled in.

I don't mind people being disappointed in the game, or just not liking it, it doesn't affect me at all, but the noise around the game makes it very difficult to find anywhere to discuss the game itself, what it gets right and wrong, and obscures what, I believe, is still some pretty cool technology.

I think there is a big future for procedural generation of this sort. People say they prefer handcrafted worlds, but I'm always disappointed by the couple of miles square, walled in areas in so called open world games. The explorable areas in NMS (combined) are way bigger than Earth many times over. Biomes may be handled on a planet by planet basis, but going forward there's no need for other games to follow this route. That and it continuously pumps out terrain that manages to look much more natural and organic than games such as Far Cry 3, alongside more varied flora and better animal AI.

To me it reminds me a little of the really early days of 3d games. The promise of 3d worlds was there but I always thought they were horribly ugly and limited, and couldn't understand why anyone would choose to play one over the awesome looking, smooth playing 2d games out there. If anyone ever played a Freescape (TM) game they'll know what I'm talking about.

So yeah, maybe it is currently more like a tech demo in some respects, a little over ambitious and not ready for prime time. I guess I feel like an early adopter, that maybe it's a bit overpriced and rough around the edges, but also, as an early adopter, it's nice to be on the ground floor and get a glimpse of what the future of a particular technology might be like.

That was also completely not planned. I had just spent 10mins underwater, so I had no idea what was going to be around.

That makes it even better. Surprise moments like that are great. The planet in the background and sillouhettes of the land in the foreground are striking.

What do Emeril deposits have to do with having a full exosuit?

Easy money, my friend. I lucked out and my second planet was full of pearls and Exosuit drop pods so I nearly maxed mine out early on, but if you're strapped for cash and no forbidden items around, emeril and gold deposits can get you far-- especially if crystal deposits are abundant.

c0Zm1c

WOW indeed.

I imagine only a small percentage of those "mostly negative" reviews are based on what the users genuinely think of the game itself. Hello and Sean absolutely deserve to be called out on many things, but No Man's Sky is not a terrible game by any stretch of the imagination.

We demand developers have integrity yet we don't have it ourselves.

samn

Sean Murray tweeted about how you could meet other players in the game on the day of release and said that this had already happened. He linked to an article about how the multiplayer wasn't in the game as proof.

Jobbs

Banned

I wonder where people got the idea this would be some kind of expansive space sim with many ways to play and deep simulations

WOW indeed.

I imagine only a small percentage of those "mostly negative" reviews are based on what the users genuinely think of the game itself. Hello and Sean absolutely deserve to be called out on many things, but No Man's Sky is not a terrible game by any stretch of the imagination.

We demand developers have integrity yet we don't have it ourselves.

It's a terrible game. I wouldn't have paid $60 if I wanted it to be bad. Usually I try to like my purchases. It's called confirmation bias.

Finally found a planet where I can make some fucking mooooney. Space station pops you out in front of a mostly water planet with a bunch of little islands on it that all have tons of those big, glowy, expensive orbs. Hot dog!! Might be able to afford a new ship soon, which is especially nice since, I dunno if it's just my game or my luck but, despite having a 20 slot ship, the only thing those transmission towers send me to are the same-ish looking 19 slot piece of shit. Fuck you! I'll buy my way to some god damn room!

God, I'm 30 hours in and I'm still on a 20 slot ship. It fucking sucks.

mokeyjoe

Finally found a planet where I can make some fucking mooooney. Space station pops you out in front of a mostly water planet with a bunch of little islands on it that all have tons of those big, glowy, expensive orbs. Hot dog!! Might be able to afford a new ship soon, which is especially nice since, I dunno if it's just my game or my luck but, despite having a 20 slot ship, the only thing those transmission towers send me to are the same-ish looking 19 slot piece of shit. Fuck you! I'll buy my way to some god damn room!

God, I'm 30 hours in and I'm still on a 20 slot ship. It fucking sucks.

I must nearly 100 hours in and I'm still happy with my 25 slotter.

Hm, this is actually getting close to being my most played gamenof all time. 105 hours in FFXII was my previous record.

Nictel

I can't believe I'm going to type this, but... I really, REALLY want Phil Spencer to do a new interview this week, so the entire front page can be filled with threads based on his individual quotes. It would actually be refreshing at this point.

Phil Spencer: "I enjoyed No Man's Sky"

Not surprising at $60.

I actually like this game and dont regret buying it at that price, but my favorite series of all time is Mass Effect and I loved the planetary exploration in ME1. I'd have a VERY hard time justifying any of my friends to buy, even at $20 or below. I think theyd be bored.

I'd love to see Elite Dangerous Horizons adapt the cool looking planets though. If you combined the 2 games you'd get what I think a lot of people were expecting from NMS.

Top Bottom