• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

BizzyBum

Damn, I got lucky with my latest crashed ship. Not only was it a slot better, but the dead pilot also had a 24 slot multi-tool for me. =)

I'm not sure if this matters, but it seems once I found a crashed ship or multi-tool that was a slot better on a planet and I continued to search on that planet I never found something higher afterwards. As soon as I went to a different planet or system the ships and tools gave me better slots the first time.

Once I'm done grinding for the 48 slot ship I'm finally done with upgrades and can focus crafting the best blueprints for everything, though I'll still be on the look out for better looking guns/ships but I won't focus solely on grinding for them at that point, only if I happen to come across one.

Septimius

Wow, found a planet where sentinels will attack you just for scanning things.

But...it has gravitino balls scattered around everywhere.

I'll be farming here for a while xD

Land, grab 3/4 spheres, take the fuck off. Do this 15/20 times (in 10/15 minutes), then go to bank.

Cash!!

Here's how I do it:

Land, grab a ball. The first ball is the most crucial, since that will spawn a "dog"-sentinel that has a nasty laser. Then I just start running away (do you know about melee-boosting? Cause you wanna melee boost. It makes this too easy). While running, I just grab more on the way if I feel I can, then after covering some distance, the dog will no longer shoot at you, but the normal sentinels will try to catch up with you. You'll still have the stars, but they won't be on you. If you take too long to get the next ball, the dog will spawn again, but if you sustain the star, the dog won't despawn and can't respawn, so you can just keep grabbing balls.

Do that until your inventory is full.

It's much faster.

OT2 | ce-34878-0

tumblr_n7mwawp4rL1ssbvp5o1_400.gif

Here's how I do it:

Land, grab a ball. The first ball is the most crucial, since that will spawn a "dog"-sentinel that has a nasty laser. Then I just start running away (do you know about melee-boosting? Cause you wanna melee boost. It makes this too easy). While running, I just grab more on the way if I feel I can, then after covering some distance, the dog will no longer shoot at you, but the normal sentinels will try to catch up with you. You'll still have the stars, but they won't be on you. If you take too long to get the next ball, the dog will spawn again, but if you sustain the star, the dog won't despawn and can't respawn, so you can just keep grabbing balls.

It's much faster.

Didn't know about the dog leaving you be after some distance. I'll be doing like you are, then, for sure. Sentinels are easy.

I've been searching merchants for days and nobody seems to sell Omegon. Creatures only poop out a little bit on a super rare frequency so that's not a good answer either. Where can I get some Omegon?

I think I needed that for the level 3 jetpack. About all you can do is keep checking ships and stations and buy 30 or so at a time. It's a pain but doable. It probably exists on some planet like Calium does, which drops 6 per item when mined, but you're better off doing what you're doing I think.

Hackbert

god damn, the game is a timesink (of the good kind) came home after work and played from eleven to nearly 3 AM. Do you guys use the boltcaster or mining beam for fights? I have no updates whatsoever on the gun. just a good beam is enough to get rid of the sentinel dog and flies. and spacefights got a lot easier after i realized i can recharge the damn shield during battle. *my fault*... found a planet with graviton tubes and farmed a bit. but off to the next systems it is.

good think my vacation starts on saturday afternoon

Damn. Bug/crab-like carnivores really creep me out. They just skitter to you so quickly after you see that red paw indicator and you're like NOPE.

I can't be the only one feeling this.

Anyway, warped a couple of galaxies, and finally got the recipe for an Atlas Pass.

Toki767

Not sure if people realized this since most avoid space battles, but if you successfully survive 4 or 5 waves when attacking one of those freighters, even bigger ships come out.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Not sure if people realized this since most avoid space battles, but if you successfully survive 4 or 5 waves when attacking one of those freighters, even bigger ships come out.
Also managing to get rank5 on a planet will make it to where they instantly send ships after you once you leave orbit

Toki767

Also managing to get rank5 on a planet will make it to where they instantly send ships after you once you leave orbit

Incidentally, if you're getting chased by ships, going into a planet and getting off your ship will make the ships go away.

Some more fun news since my last update:

1) I FINALLY found the "missing" moon in my second system. I had to Pulse Jump out into empty space and turn around to find it because it was hiding behind a huge planet and everything else in the system was blocking it.

2) I found a LIVING PLANET. I went into one of those research pods that's been totally fucked up and the story it told said the planet was alive and the water isn't actually water but pools of its blood. What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

3) Going back to #1, the system I was in has NO Crystalwhatever in it at all on 4 planets and 3 moons, but that "missing" moon is OVERFLOWING with it. If I stock up there and Pulse Jump back to the other end of the system where the space station is, I can sell it for massive bank something like 97%+ over normal price plus it has a star by its name. Only problem is since it's so valuable on that side, pirates are always trying to fuck me up.

4) Went to my first
Atlas System
and holy shit was that a freaky trip out experience.

So, this is a weird, frustrating thing. Been after a particular ship in this system, originally cost 14.8 mil and was just shy of the price so I had to go land and mine for a while, come back to the station to wait for it to land again (That was a fun wait) and what the hell, the price boosted to 17 million. Confused, I fly away and come back again and then two of the same ship land with the same owner for both (Which I'd known would happen for a while), except one now costing 4 million but with 25 slots. So, from I can gather, it'll always be the same procedurally generated ship design and owner, but the ships themselves will have randomized slots and different prices.

Fuck you Scientist Entity Ovr.

Vancouver

It's fun coming to this thread (and the original) and reading about all the cool stuff people are doing and enjoyment people are having. This thread is like the Shevat from Xenogears, safe from all the trials and tribulations of Solaris and the world below.

Makes me look forward to when I take the plunge and purchase NMS.

Bold One

Some more fun news since my last update:

2) I found a LIVING PLANET. I went into one of those research pods that's been totally fucked up and the story it told said the planet was alive and the water isn't actually water but pools of its blood. What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

e5oTLwv.gif

IvanJ

Banned
Well, just finished the Atlas Path a few minutes ago.
I must admit I just warped between the last 5 Atlas Interfaces, had enough warp cells and materials to craft more. The last thing I had to do was scrounge some 300 Emeril to complete my third warp drive, and had incredible luck to land right next to one pillar of it on a hellish extremely toxic planet.
Had to create one because I was getting frequently killed by pirates over 1000 Gold, 700 Emeril I was saving for it, and also because of Atlas Stones.

Now that I spent the stones and upgraded my engine, I have nothing of value, but I do not need anything of value.
My 48 piece suit is half empty, just carrying some basic common resources.
My 26 piece ship is big enough to house my engines and store some extra slightly rarer elements.
My 16 piece multitool is enough to mine a pillar very quickly.

I have been getting duplicate blueprints for the last hundred encounters. I don't need any new words because I don't need anything they might bring me when communicating.

I have to seriously assess whether I want to continue. I guess the only thing I'd ned to do is craft warp cells, and I have enough money to buy about 125 Antimatters to just keep warping. I don't see much point in that.

Maybe I should take a break and come back after a content update.

Baalzebup

I've been searching merchants for days and nobody seems to sell Omegon. Creatures only poop out a little bit on a super rare frequency so that's not a good answer either. Where can I get some Omegon?

I've consistently landed on some Omegon from those trading posts some planets have, the ones with a total of 9 landing pads. The ships landing on those seem to have a far wider array of goods to sell than the ones in the space stations. Later on, when you have good ship upgrades, the crashed ships will usually feature at least one component that can be salvaged into Omegon. I'm currently packing a 500 stack of the stuff, most of it coming from the crashed ships.

Skitso78

I just reached my first
Atlas interface with big pulsating red orb. All I got was an atlas stone(or what ever) but no atlas pass. How do I get one?

Also, I'm having really hard time finding better multi-tools. I got one from a wall locker at a random shelter, but are they supposed to be like reaaaally rare?

I just reached my first
Atlas interface with big pulsating red orb. All I got was an atlas sphere (or what ever) but no atlas pass. How do I get one?

Also, I'm having really hard time finding better multi-tools. I got one from a wall locker at a random shelter, but are they supposed to be like reaaaally rare?
just warp to another star system and an anomaly will show up. A Gek named Polo will give you the recipe to make the pass.. you also get multi tools there. Located on the right nad side inside that pillar.

I just reached my first
Atlas interface with big pulsating red orb. All I got was an atlas stone(or what ever) but no atlas pass. How do I get one?

I'm pretty sure every outpost with a single landing pad has one on the wall. Sometimes they're worse than what you've got, either in slots or upgrades, making them not worth trading for.

Skitso78

just warp to another star system and an anomaly will show up. A Gek named Polo will give you the recipe to make the pass.. you also get multi tools there.

Thanks! :)

I'm pretty sure every outpost with a single landing pad has one on the wall. Sometimes they're worse than what you've got, either in slots or upgrades, making them not worth trading for.

Good to know. Any pro tips how to find those?

sirap

Well, just finished the Atlas Path a few minutes ago.
I must admit I just warped between the last 5 Atlas Interfaces, had enough warp cells and materials to craft more. The last thing I had to do was scrounge some 300 Emeril to complete my third warp drive, and had incredible luck to land right next to one pillar of it on a hellish extremely toxic planet.
Had to create one because I was getting frequently killed by pirates over 1000 Gold, 700 Emeril I was saving for it, and also because of Atlas Stones.

Now that I spent the stones and upgraded my engine, I have nothing of value, but I do not need anything of value.
My 48 piece suit is half empty, just carrying some basic common resources.
My 26 piece ship is big enough to house my engines and store some extra slightly rarer elements.
My 16 piece multitool is enough to mine a pillar very quickly.

I have been getting duplicate blueprints for the last hundred encounters. I don't need any new words because I don't need anything they might bring me when communicating.

I have to seriously assess whether I want to continue. I guess the only thing I'd ned to do is craft warp cells, and I have enough money to buy about 125 Antimatters to just keep warping. I don't see much point in that.

Maybe I should take a break and come back after a content update.

That's what I'm doing. After 40 hours I'm ready to tap out. I think it was a mistake limiting the maximum slots you can have in suits, weapons and ships. I would love to see more random weapons to ala Starbound/Terraria with interesting effects (flamethrowers, rocket launchers etc), but then they'd have to make combat harder and more engaging.

As it stands there's not much left to do upgrade wise.

Also!!

My LE came today! It's so pretty @__@

I was gonna sell the digital code on ebay or something but it looks like the code encopasses the ship, multitool, credits, AND the Dynamic Theme, which is the only part I actually wanted. Blergh!

Oh well, I still have my normal retail version and if I sell that for $50 with the preorder code then someone will get the game and code for $10 less than retail and I'll have paid about $47 for the LE (GamersClub discount plus $20 in RewardZone credit) huahahahahaha

Yeah. Im totally maxed out on everything with all the best upgrades installed. Beat the Atlas path. All I can do now is reach the center but I dont really feel like hoarding warp drives and spending hours and hours just warping right now.

I will still explore here and there. I tried getting an answer if its even possible to activate the portals but cant get an answer. If I even knew it was possible I would keep playing to figure it out.

Yeah. Im totally maxed out on everything with all the best upgrades installed. Beat the Atlas path. All I can do now is reach the center but I dont really feel like hoarding warp drives and spending hours and hours just warping right now.

I will still explore here and there. I tried getting an answer if its even possible to activate the portals but cant get an answer. If I even knew it was possible I would keep playing to figure it out.

Nobody knows how to activate them yet. PC players will probably hack and answer at some point but personally I think it's awesome that there's a mystery in this game that nobody can figure out yet. With social media it's gonna be a frenzy once someone finally cracks it. Like the GTA bigfoot and UFO mysteries.

I found a portal on my starting planet and only one since. I'd like to have another look but they're so hard to even find. Anyone know if they're only on planets or do they exist on moons as well?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I just got done playing and I have to wake up in 90 minutes for work. What the fuck am I doing, lololol. Mountain Dew by the caseload at work today.

Here's how I do it:

It's much faster.

Quick tip related to this. There is a gap of a few seconds between killing the last sentinel and getting the "sentinel force deactivated" message (can't remember the exact phrase).
The "Sentinel force deactivated" seems to override any current alert.

So:

1) Kill a lone sentinel (you'll get a 1* alert while you do this)
2) Grab the grav ball
3) 3* Security alert triggers
4) Sentinels deactivate message triggers from (1)
5) You have 0 stars and 1 grav ball. No large sentinel force appears.

It's not an easy tactic to abuse for mass gravball farming, but it lets you grab the odd ball or two without having to deal with a big sentinel force.

WITHE1982

I just got done playing and I have to wake up in 90 minutes for work. What the fuck am I doing, lololol. Mountain Dew by the caseload at work today.

Ha. I know that feeling.

I got up at 7 this morning to take the dogs for a walk and popped NMS on for a quick blast beforehand.

Next thing I know it's 8:55 and I start work at 9. The poor dogs just looked at me with a "you complete twat" expression.

Apt101

I got into a groove and visited six or seven planets, made plenty of discoveries and upgrades, and grenaded my way into several buildings. I had just found an interesting high-security planet when several drones attacked me and the game locked up my PS4. I hope i had a good restore point prior. I had had been wandering around looking for copper for a while.

I wish the trade terminals had more variety, both what one can sell and buy. It seems like it never has what I need, and is almost never buying the trade commodities I have (or at least not all of them).

Oh, I found a crashed ship that seemed good, but needed everything repaired. What a waste.

Baalzebup

I got into a groove and visited six or seven planets, made plenty of discoveries and upgrades, and grenaded my way into several buildings. I had just found an interesting high-security planet when several drones attacked me and the game locked up my PS4. I hope i had a good restore point prior. I had had been wandering around looking for copper for a while.

I wish the trade terminals had more variety, both what one can sell and buy. It seems like it never has what I need, and is almost never buying the trade commodities I have (or at least not all of them).

Oh, I found a crashed ship that seemed good, but needed everything repaired. What a waste.

Umm, you can always sell your whole inventory if you feel like it, barring the few unsellable articles. Unless you're talking about premium prices, which are always limited to a few items/elements per station at best.

venomenon

I wake up early to play No Man's Sky. Haven't done that since I was 9 years old.
No shit, I feel like doing that too. It wouldn't end well though :D

Btw, little things I love about the game, part 328:
The current real-life time is displayed when you discover a waypoint. I wouldn't notice it's high time to go to bed otherwise. Been hunting creatures for completion's sake once again yesterday and I was shocked it was 1 AM already.

Matt Frost

Completed the Atlas path. Now the to the center of the universe... but is so far away. Now I dont know what to do... contantly warp to the center of the universe or explore a bit more while warping... I just hope planets change a bit and start feeling more unique... or play something else and wait for more content...

Apt101

Umm, you can always sell your whole inventory if you feel like it, barring the few unsellable articles. Unless you're talking about premium prices, which are always limited to a few items/elements per station at best.

I've been trying to sell a few commodity items for a while. I can't find any place that will take them. I would junk them but I sold one of them near the start of the game it sold really well, so I don't want to miss out on them sweet credits. I'm a little strapped for credits, I didn't realize one could earn them by uploading discoveries until I was around twelve hours into the game.

Edit: oh yea, I finally found a highly-populated planet. It was a rocky world with toxic dust, frequent storms. I flew over like 20 or 30 sites, no exaggeration. I eventually had to stop landing because I was running low on plutonium from the frequent take offs. I really need a new ship. My cargo space it crap.

Top Bottom