• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

noomi

The dogfighting video posted earlier was awesome, this was pre-patch though it seems.

After the 1.03 update it's supposed to make dog fighting ever better ;)

I think they tweaked "u", the speed unit. Getting to any place takes way longer than before.

Oh, we now start 170k LY away from the core, compared to 37k LY pre-patch.

Betty

Banned
Not sure if it's because of the update but I found a ruined building, sort of like a bell tower, the first i've ever seen that feels like a civilisation existed.

SomTervo

this reminds me of destiny lite lol

What? If anything this is more like what Destiny should have been. Great adventure, loads of great story, brilliant sci fi universe.

Patch is up apparently. I'm at work, damn it.

Same :(

Over half way there though...

Not sure if it's because of the update but I found a ruined building, sort of like a bell tower, the first i've ever seen that feels like a civilisation existed.

They said they reseeded the whole map including rebalances on how often/early certain things appear.

I think the patch is afoot.

Lol, I just read that you need 5 Warp cells to fully charge you hyperdrive and have maximum reach.
You can still warp with 20% (1 cell worth).

Jaysis. Warp cells aren't super hard to make at least.

iFirez

spoilers for UNPATCHED center of the galaxy:

You press "engage" on the center in the galaxy map. it then plays the "supermoon" music track while zooming out of the whole galaxy and then zooms into a new galaxy. That is literally it. Nothing else happens

This is only the centre of the GALAXY though, not the Universe ;) I'm guessing we'll have to pass through numerous galaxies to real the centre of the universe. I'm guessing there's no sort of universal map though, only at a galactic scale? I wonder how many galaxies we have to go through to get to the centre and also if the second galaxy is the same for all or random.

this reminds me of destiny lite lol

Yeah, In Destiny you fly though multiple solar systems while in control of your spaceship and land on planets and get to explore the entire surface...
OH NO WAIT... Destiny is a fairly linear FPS with select areas to patrol and missions to select and the only time you see your Ship is in cinematic load screes and menus.
No Man's Sky does have a very blatant Destiny vibe in its UI/Menu aesthetic and use though so I agree on that.

I like how the hazard now switch places with temperature on our HUD

schermata2016-08-08al2quf6.png

Z3M0G

I think they tweaked "u", the speed unit. Getting to any place takes way longer than before.

Oh, we now start 170k LY away from the core, compared to 37k LY pre-patch.
So did they grow the diameter of the galaxy or was there never really an "edge" that we started at? The first streamer suggested this.

Does each planet exist in the same location in the galaxy for everyone or not? This is so unclear...

pots555

Just to make sure. I am getting the game today from Amazon. Do I wait until tomorrow to start playing because of the patch and resetting of the universe? Thanks.

Just to make sure. I am getting the game today from Amazon. Do I wait until tomorrow to start playing because of the patch and resetting of the universe? Thanks.

Patch is already available.

As for resetting, that's your call. You won't lose game progress, just your discoveries.

BigDug13

So if it took 30 hours to reach the center using an infinite fuel exploit or gameplay loop or whatever, and they're expanding galaxy sizes by up to 10x, I wonder how long it will take to reach the center post patch with no infinite fuel. 300 hours?

So if it took 30 hours to reach the center using an infinite fuel exploit or gameplay loop or whatever, and they're expanding galaxy sizes by up to 10x, I wonder how long it will take to reach the center post patch with no infinite fuel. 300 hours?

It's probably up in the air for now. No knowing if they changed stuff like Black Hole distances and stuff like that.

Betty

Banned
The patch has improved everything, and I really like the new loot boxes near camps, but we really need an item chest or something because there's so many unique items I wish I could save rather than sell to make more room.

The patch has improved everything, and I really like the new loot boxes near camps, but we really need an item chest or something because there's so many unique items I wish I could save rather than sell to make more room.

Keep in mind that (if I understand correctly) the "unique" items are meant to be sold and don't do anything at all.

SomTervo

So we still don't know if the destination is the center of a galaxy or universe, right ?

Galaxy (at least to begin with). The universe is a massive collection of galaxies (probably without a centre).

I actually have to see that yet, maybe it's only for upgraded warp drives.

Anyway, orbital scan seems to scan the whole solar system O_O

Fucking hell. I actually like the pre-patch balance of finding beacons on-land to locate nearby settlements, etc. This sounds pretty OP.

Does it cost resources to orbital scan?

Galaxy. The universe is a massive collection of galaxies (probably without a centre).

Fucking hell. I actually like the pre-patch balance of finding beacons on-land to locate nearby settlements, etc. This sounds pretty OP.

Does it cost resources to orbital scan?

No, but just like normal scan it has a cooldown period.
Btw, its range is not unlimited, and beacons are still a thing.
Maybe it can detect only certain types of PoI, I haven't noticed.

Maybe that's what the freighter will be for.

mokeyjoe

There was a stream I watched a couple of days ago, and the guy was pretty negative about the game. Said it was kinda boring and not worth $60. Watching him again now and he's saying it definitely worth buying, the exploration is great and the game is something 'pretty special'.

Can't find anything to deflate my hype any more. :/

death star

LLS5kd5.jpg

What the hell...

Has anybody seen the in-game patch notes? It says "Guidance and freedom are now optional"

Could it be that you're given the choice to be guided to the Core? If you accept, you'll visualise the path on the galactic map just like we've seen so far. If you refuse, you won't have any guidance towards it, and you're on your own. That would be awesome.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah? That's fantastic then, I always assume they're to be used in crafting or given to a specific person, that's great.

They usually say in the item description whether they're used for any sort of crafting or anything. Most things that are labelled as a "trading commodity" seem to just effectively be vendor trash.

https://www.twitch.tv/solo_wing_pixy88
Abandoned underwater base right now.

EDIT: He already had to swim away because he was drowning and the sea is toxic. Dude is about to die.

See, this is why I am going to backtrack occasionally.

Once you get your suit upgraded, you can go back and take your time exploring this stuff.

This is why I can't look at NMS as an "always moving forward" type of game. There is too much stuff that needs to be revisited.

What the hell...

Has anybody seen the in-game patch notes? It says "Guidance and freedom are now optional"

Could it be that you're given the choice to be guided to the Core? If you accept, you'll visualise the path on the galactic map just like we've seen so far. If you refuse, you won't have any guidance towards it, and you're on your own. That would be awesome.

I would wager they mean the guidance that is present in the bottom right for different objectives.

There was a stream I watched a couple of days ago, and the guy was pretty negative about the game. Said it was kinda boring and not worth $60. Watching him again now and he's saying it definitely worth buying, the exploration is great and the game is something 'pretty special'.

Can't find anything to deflate my hype any more. :/

Oh wow, I think I know who you're talking about. Cool that he came around on it.

Freeman76

The crafting in this reminds me of GW2, 4 or 5 steps to get what you need and often dont have one or two essential ingredients lol

Great game, can definitely see some areas that will be gradually improved on though, to reduce a bit of the busy work. I'm really impressed with the story element of it, and the fact it has 'quests' that serve as the tutorial.

Top Bottom