• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

Shy

So whats everyones opinion the the leaked footage? I haven't checked any out myself yet but I've thumbed through some of the posts.
It's everything i thought and hoped it would be. Making me want it even more badly now.

Wish there was somewhere around me that would sell my a copy right now. I would gladly double dip.

Mifec

The 26 minute video that was recorded, the on-foot pop-in seemed almost non existent. I don't think any on-ship footage has been released tho~ That is, by the guy who released the on-foot stuff

It was horrendous right before he found the outpost with the crafting recipe.

So whats everyones opinion the the leaked footage? I haven't checked any out myself yet but I've thumbed through some of the posts.

I've honestly shed quite a lot of expectations the closer we've gotten to release compared to where my imagination was running wild at the game's debut. There's never been a point in my paring down of expectations where I've opted out of interest, though.

That said, it's looking perhaps like it could potentially be a little bit more tedious and redundant than I was still hoping for, but I think I'll enjoy it nonetheless.

I do still wonder if this might turn out to be a Molyneux-style over promised concept, though? I think I'm feeling a general toning down in speculation of what playing this game is like to a realistic, but still excited, level, but the game received such an awestruck reaction at its debut that I have to wonder who hasn't been keeping tabs and scaled back their thoughts.

It was horrendous right before he found the outpost with the crafting recipe.

Yeah, it was. Although we don't know how much can be solved with updates I think if you have the option of getting it on PC that would probably be the best bet if pop in bothers you.

I think it's actually pretty crazy that we haven't seen any PC footage so far. I wonder what's up with that?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've honestly shed quite a lot of expectations the closer we've gotten to release compared to where my imagination was running wild at the game's debut. There's never been a point in my paring down of expectations where I've opted out of interest, though.

That said, it's looking perhaps like it could potentially be a little bit more tedious and redundant than I was still hoping for, but I think I'll enjoy it nonetheless.

I do still wonder if this might turn out to be a Molyneux-style over promised concept, though? I think I'm feeling a general toning down in speculation of what playing this game is like to a realistic, but still excited, level, but the game received such an awestruck reaction at its debut that I have to wonder who hasn't been keeping tabs and scaled back their thoughts.

Can you do me a favour and find me links that prove this. Thanks in advance.

I still dont' get why people are saying that Sean and his team over promised

Like what exactly did they over promise? What isn't in the game that they promised would be in the game?

Such a wrong criticism.

Houndi101

Nearly all elements of the game are procedurally generated, including star systems, planets and their ecosystems, flora, fauna and their behavioral patterns, artificial structures, and alien factions and their spacecraft.

As far as we know atm the alien factions are not procedural?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I still dont' get why people are saying that Sean and his team over promised

Like what exactly did they over promise? What isn't in the game that they promised would be in the game?

Such a wrong criticism.

how else are people going to hate on this game?

Anyways, 9 more days. 9 more days.

Klyka

Banned

I think if the devs did one thing right than it was not trying to sell the game as something it is not or making up grandiose features that either don't make it in the game or are in but in an incredibly dumbed down way.

Like, Molyneux would have told you that you could randomly come across a primitive civilization and let them worship you as a god and then you can fly off and come back and because of time dilation this civ is now advanced and they got statues of you and when you make contact again a civil war breaks out between people believing you are god and others saying you are a fraud.

That's a Molyneux "overpromise".

Can you do me a favour and find me links that prove this. Thanks in advance.

I suppose the thing I was more accurately trying to say is that I wonder if people are going to perceive this in the same way as a Molyneux overpromise when they actually buy the game and it's not the thing they imagined.

I understand the devs have tried their best to kind of focus in the expectations, but I still think there are a lot of non-GAF gamers that saw this years ago, kept an eye on a release date, and are still going in with wild imaginations of the gameplay scope and possibilities within this game.

That said, I don't have links, just a vague recollection of forum conversations from the last two years kind of going nuts on speculating what No Man's Sky will be, how frustrated people were with radio silence, and then the entire "so what do you even do in No Man's Sky" style reactions to the breaking of media radio silence -- much to which I still vaguely recall being reacted to with "really, that's it?" or "I still don't quite understand..."

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You can't provide any context to the link? Spoiler thread or not I'm sure there's certain things most people don't want to see in video form.

It just shows you inside a space station, interactions between you and a faction and the galactic map. It's bad quality but it's new. It doesn't really spoil anything if you don't read the text (I'm assuming because I didn't read the text lol).

Klyka

Banned
For people wondering how the leaker can be close to the center already:

They have implemented some questionable design choices that allow you to essentially "farm" Warp Fuel in an endless pattern and just continuously warp at will almost nonstop, if you so desire to take advantage of it. I dunno if this was intentional, or if they just didn't care, or if HG doesn't actually have min/max gamers on their testing team to identify this stuff or what but I figured it out rather quickly and I've managed to jump pretty far in just a few hours of doing it.

I don't think this really "spoils" anything seeing how everyone knows there is fuel.

Houndi101

For people wondering how the leaker can be close to the center already:

I don't think this really "spoils" anything seeing how everyone knows there is fuel.
Welp, ps4 peeps at the center before pc release confirmed.
Atleast this time it's not the other way around.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
After seeing what is in this game which indicates that the centre of the galaxy might be more fleshed out than we think, I'm going to bow out of the NMS community come launch. People are going to post pics of what's at the centre and even if they spoiler tag those pics other people won't be grown up enough to realise their 'hint' gives it away. This news of being able to farm your way to the centre is the first disappointing news I've heard.

Come on Sean, patch this out even if it makes the game much harder.

Daffy Duck

Yeah that's disappointing, you know someone on twitch is going to farm the hell out of it to be the first person to the centre.

You can't really compare the two as they are completely different games but if they do anything similar to Elite: Dangerous, I'd expect high end jump ranges in the 30-50 LY territory.

For reference, this is some info from Elite: Dangerous

Now Sol is approx 15,500 LY from the edge of the Galaxy so the distance from the "edge" of the Galaxy (at it's Southern most point) to Sag A* is approx 41,000 LY.

Not to different from No Man's Sky, at least based on the info we have so far.

This is the maximum reach of a basic hyperdrive.

schermata2016-07-31ald1lyc.png

Klyka

Banned
I mean, we all know that the center will be reached on Day 1.

That's kinda inevitable unless they have build in artificial restrictions for it.

Whatever the guy is doing doesn't require you to land on planets. I'm sure we'll know exactly what the oversight/exploit, whatever you want to call it is, and can choose to avoid it. I know I certainly won't be trying to race to the center. If fatigue starts kicking in I'll probably make more of an effort to cut the distance down quicker of course.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Whatever the guy is doing doesn't require you to land on planets. I'm sure we'll know exactly what the oversight/exploit, whatever you want to call it is, and can choose to avoid it. I know I certainly won't be trying to race to the center. If fatigue starts kicking in I'll probably make more of an effort to cut the distance down quicker of course.

Removed because I was wrong.

Klyka

Banned
We actually knew about how they're doing it but what we didn't know is how affective it could be. You can mine fuel for your hyperdrive from asteroids, which we've always known, but you can just keep on doing that and continuously hyperdrive towards the centre.

This is how he is doing it:

Okay, let me explain this as simply as I can.

Atlas Stones are one of the green trade items you can loot to sell to the galactic market. Every time you go to a certain place (pretty easy to find) you get one. They sell for a TON of units. I'm talking like ten times more than anything in the game. And they're dirt simple and free to get.

It's completely trivialized units for me.

And at the same location are TWO free Warp Fuels. So you can just immediately bone out to the next system, find the next spot with these free things, rinse repeat.

I dunno why they chose to do this, but it seems really weird.

I spoilered it in case people do not wish to know.

bigDave

Around 25-30 hours. I'm about halfway there. 30% of the 100% distance has been just from the last few hours alone.
With a YouTube video explaining how to do this I think someone could reach the center in no time, 20-30 hours easy.

Freeman76

I suppose the thing I was more accurately trying to say is that I wonder if people are going to perceive this in the same way as a Molyneux overpromise when they actually buy the game and it's not the thing they imagined.

I understand the devs have tried their best to kind of focus in the expectations, but I still think there are a lot of non-GAF gamers that saw this years ago, kept an eye on a release date, and are still going in with wild imaginations of the gameplay scope and possibilities within this game.

That said, I don't have links, just a vague recollection of forum conversations from the last two years kind of going nuts on speculating what No Man's Sky will be, how frustrated people were with radio silence, and then the entire "so what do you even do in No Man's Sky" style reactions to the breaking of media radio silence -- much to which I still vaguely recall being reacted to with "really, that's it?" or "I still don't quite understand..."

Not just non-GAF gamers man, this thread shows how hyped everyone is, unrealistically so in many cases. I think this game has the potential to be awesome dont get me wrong, but people expecting to be enthralled by the randomness of it all will quickly be annoyed at the smoke and mirrors. There is no way this game will have the level of intricacy people here are expecting across so many different planets, it's like saying every one of the 'Bazillion' guns in BL2 was worthwhile, when we all know you can have a pile of orange/purples on the floor and just walk on by eventually. It's almost like there are people in this thread expecting miracles from the game, and are just queueing themselves up to be pissed off a few days after release.

Klyka

Banned
Not just non-GAF gamers man, this thread shows how hyped everyone is, unrealistically so in many cases. I think this game has the potential to be awesome dont get me wrong, but people expecting to be enthralled by the randomness of it all will quickly be annoyed at the smoke and mirrors. There is no way this game will have the level of intricacy people here are expecting across so many different planets, it's like saying every one of the 'Bazillion' guns in BL2 was worthwhile, when we all know you can have a pile of orange/purples on the floor and just walk on by eventually. It's almost like there are people in this thread expecting miracles from the game, and are just queueing themselves up to be pissed off a few days after release.

The leaker has been saying that on the planets he visited he has seen a lot of similar looking aliens so far but he believes it's because you need to get closer and closer to the center to go into different "tiers" of lifeforms showing up.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Around 25-30 hours. I'm about halfway there. 30% of the 100% distance has been just from the last few hours alone.
With a YouTube video explaining how to do this I think someone could reach the center in no time, 20-30 hours easy.

You've got the game?

Hackbert

maaan, those imgur pictures let the hype grow a lot. mhhh i think i will go digital for this game again. i love these colours and the old sci fi mag look

Top Bottom