• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

Demoskinos

Yeah, but by your logic it's equally missinformative for the devs themselves to say that there are 18 quintillion planets in the game since there is no possible way that anyone is ever going to visit them all. The chances of that happening are exponentially smaller than the chances of someone meeting up.

So, going by your logic, for "all practical and realistic purposes" if someone where to ask how many planets where in the game the answer shouldn't be 18 quintillion but something realistically achievable? Wouldn't want to get peoples hopes up.

Seriously though, IMO this game is about pondering possibilities. But for something to be possible it has to be implemented. When you look up to the sky after stepping out of your ship and you ponder the possibilities of the universe that you are in you want to know that it's possible to visit one of the 18 quintillion planets that are out there in the vastness just as you would want to know that, however improbable, it's possible during your travels to meet or come across one of the thousands of people whom you know are playing the game in the same universe who are out there somewhere exploring just like you, headed for the center. I think the devs understood this and that is why they built the multiplayer mechanics, however bare boned, into the game.

We also don't know yet if there will be something way later on that will make the chances of meeting another player much greater. There is a lot we don't know yet. That's what makes this so exciting.

Just because 18 quintillion planets exist doesn't mean that they are making promises that you can see all of that just that it exists there is a huge difference there. Why say its there? Because it is there...

bounchfx

seems ambiguous enough that it can appear anywhere. probably some story elements and alternative goals. looks neat! would have been better as a surprise but to be honest I don't even know if I would have played long enough to see it. so it's probably best I'm aware of it now.

Without context I don't even know how that could be considered a spoiler at this point

Its more just a really vague WTF picture

Maybe I just have a different definition of a spoiler

Without context I don't even know how that could be considered a spoiler at this point

Its more just a really vague WTF picture

Maybe I just have a different definition of a spoiler
Yeah, to me the only real "spoiler" is what is at the center of the galaxy. Everything else is randomly generated or just base game mechanics.

Although I'm still deciding if I want to buy the game so that may factor into it

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So, the guy that made the video posted a new screenshot. Beware, this one actually could be quite spoilery, maybe?

You really sure?

well, you were warned

hiGfZKl.jpg

giphy.gif

Seiniyta

Hmmm. All three of those planets in the third image have the same cloud pattern.

Probably a LOD thing, the planets themselves being vastly different, even in sky but the far out LOD's being similar. That's something they could fix in a patch without it affecting the simulation I think.

It would be really cool if there's stray planets floating around between solar systems, and the only way you can get to them is taking the "long way" instead of warping

Already confirmed. I hope to run into one or something else on my manual flight to a close by solar system.

What the fuck? It looks like each of those figures belongs to one of the alien races? Gek on the left. Korvax in the middle. Vykeen on the right?

On a related note, I think those three races are the only ones we will see (in the first galaxy, at least). Each race appears to conform to one of the three broad gameplay archetypes: the Gek are traders, the Korvax are scientists, and the Vykeen are warriors. Synchronicity like that is the kind of thing creators seem to gravitate towards.

Another thought: that is strange scene, unlike any gameplay we've seen. Perhaps there are scripted events that trigger when the player reaches a certain point in their journey?
What if it's both? Maybe once you get enough things and are able to leave your starting planet, this scene shows up introducing you to the races and job-types?

Atlas Station is new.

There was that quest for Atlas in another screenshot. My best guess is that he had the quest and ended up in the other screenshot where the floating dudes gave him the mission to go to the center of the universe. There has to be a reason the game wants you to go there so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There was that quest for Atlas in another screenshot. My best guess is that he had the quest and ended up in the other screenshot where the floating dudes gave him the mission to go to the center of the universe. There has to be a reason the game wants you to go there so ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, that's what I got from those two images

Find us. Hear us.

So, the guy that made the video posted a new screenshot. Beware, this one actually could be quite spoilery, maybe?

You really sure?

well, you were warned

hiGfZKl.jpg

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So I am thinking that all your sensors can be updated to provide you more information too. Which is really interesting if I am right - I imagine you could eventually update your ships long range sensors to give you more information about the composition of the planet you're about to jump to. Or maybe the rough locations of crashed ships on planets, or something along those lines.

Well, I might be getting too ahead of myself, getting way too hype - it just seems like from these new screens, your sensor hud can be slightly different.

Daffy Duck

g869Pws.jpg

This one may be my favorite screenshot of the game yet. So pretty and cool seeing the planets/moons so close to one another.

Yeah, just being able to imagine jumping from planet to planet at a moments notice and then back again, maybe hours in between.

What a thought.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
those 3 planets in the background look the same, Im not going to compare the pixels but that seems weird

The cloud cover is the same - I think when rendering at a distance, there are only a few different cloud texture models - a lot of detail doesn't exist until you get close.

greatgeek

Banned
A few minutes of poor quality footage from a Twitch stream: https://youtu.be/KB3_RMkXnXM

I'm a little worried about variety after seeing this. We've seen the hostile vine-thing in Balari V footage and the other leaker's video, and the bulbous plant in the latter.

Top Bottom