• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

nynt9

The only thing that's has a stupidly small chance of happening (based on what we know) is randomly comming across someone. Coordinating with a friend to meet should be as possible as possible is, it would just take time and dedication.

It's not certain if they've implemented the code to put other players into your game though. You could just spend 50 hours trying to meet up with someone and never be able to interact with them. They've been coy about persistence and the ability to interact with other players. Didn't they say even if you saw another player you won't be able to tell they are a player?

Roscoe182

The only thing that's has a stupidly small chance of happening (based on what we know) is randomly comming across someone. Coordinating with a friend to meet should be as possible as possible is, it would just take time and dedication.

im glad other ppl realise this.
cus i was being told i was dishing out misinformation.

It's not certain if they've implemented the code to put other players into your game though. You could just spend 50 hours trying to meet up with someone and never be able to interact with them. They've been coy about persistence and the ability to interact with other players. Didn't they say even if you saw another player you won't be able to tell they are a player?

Sean said one of the ways to figure out how you look like would be someone seeing you and telling you. He'd also talk about the possibility of seeing someone flying in a ship and not realizing it's a real player.

Let's say you have a friend in Pakistan, and you're telling them about the US. Your friend asks, "if I immigrate to the United States, could I be struck by lightning while collecting my Powerball jackpot winnings?"

If your answer is "you sure can, buddy!" you're being irresponsibly misleading.

A proper answer requires a contextualizing the sheer unlikelihood of such a thing happening, and a warning that if you want to try for it, you're going to be going to a lot of effort to ultimately disappoint yourself. There might be good reasons to immigrate to the US, but that isn't one of them.

The most honest answer is that it's theoretically possible, but practically impossible.

Let's say you have a friend in Pakistan, and you're telling them about the US. Your friend asks, "if I immigrate to the United States, could I be struck by lightning while collecting my Powerball jackpot winnings?"

If your answer is "you sure can, buddy!" you're being irresponsibly misleading.

A proper answer requires a contextualizing the sheer unlikelihood of such a thing happening, and a warning that if you want to try for it, you're going to be going to a lot of effort to ultimately disappoint yourself. There might be good reasons to immigrate to the US, but that isn't one of them.

The most honest answer is that it's theoretically possible, but practically impossible.

Only for coming across a random person. Coordinating to meet in the same place in NMS isn't random or based on chance. It's entirely methodical, unlike the scenario you presented.

Only for coming across a random person. Coordinating to meet in the same place in NMS isn't random or based on chance. It's entirely methodical, unlike the scenario you presented.

You're right. It's more akin to a pair of intelligent earthworms digging their way to one another from opposite sides of Russia. And then getting hit by lightning.

Look I just like lightning strikes in my analogies.

I find this quote intriguing:
"Bronybuscus: What is the funniest glitch/mishap that you have seen in your game?

Murray: Oh man, I probably shouldn’t say this, but of any game I’ve worked on we definitely have the very best bugs. I better not list too many of these or you’ll think the game is buggy. One time, we had creatures that lived on the ceiling of caves only in the Northern Hemisphere. Another time all the buildings started walking around the planet. There was a space station that tried to dock in another space station, and a gun that was so powerful it blasted creatures into orbit. My favourite was probably the bug that would reincarnate you as a different creature each time you died. One minute you are in a dog-fight, the next you are a shark in the ocean."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/24/ask-sean-murray-anything-about-no-mans-sky?page=2

You're right. It's more akin to a pair of intelligent earthworms digging their way to one another from opposite sides of Russia. And then getting hit by lightning.

Look I just like lightning strikes in my analogies.

i like lightning as much as the next guy but that's just no good
I actually hate lightning

Roscoe182

so fed up of this MP talk.

what does everyone think will happen when we reach a black hole ??

could they have gravity as planets and stars dnt, i assume that its just going to kill me as soon as i get near it. i want to be spaghettified.

Thanks for that IGN link! I was wondering last night if we could bookmark and set waypoints to planets!

darkninja725: Will there be a way to put bookmarks/keep tabs on planets and systems?

Murray: Every planet you visit will be recorded on your Galactic Map, which captures all this information as you go along, so you'll always have a record of where you've been. You can also use it to set waypoints, which will help you navigate by showing you routes that your current hyperdrive can manage. If other people visit to planets you're interested in, you can see information about it, if they've chosen to share it.

Krabboss

It's incredible how NMS gets defined by the latest gameplay vid. Each one has suddenly become 'all you do' as if the idea of 18 quintillion planets and a variety of choices on how to play isn't enough to define what 'could be done'.

I think there are two main mindsets when we discuss this game, one that is entirely dependent upon someone else's definition of what you do and the other independent and an amalgamation of the many options available to 'imagine' the possibilities.

No Man's Sky will definitely be loved by anyone capable of thinking outside of the portrayed narratives and hopefully there's enough in this game for those who need to have everything laid out.

It could be ironic actually because those people who still can't grasp this game is not following the strict narratives set out in each consecutive gameplay vid, could in fact end up more excited when suddenly what they had had defined by the latest narrative is in fact proven wrong. The only problem here is it's going to be defined by how they play and so if, for instance, they end up on a planet that verifies the narrative of this latest leaked footage, they may give up because they're convinced this is the sort of game it is.

Others like myself, who understand the concept and haven't defined the game entirely on the latest video, will be strolling somewhere on an idyllic planet seeking out lore and investigating cave systems, underwater mysteries and ruins. We will have put survival behind us for a while and will be writing our Eden narrative.

And remember, this is the planet this guy was put on, YOU will be on a completely different planet where survival might not even come into it. Don't judge the game by one vid, take everything Sean has said and every vid you've seen and imagine your own story.

Yes but it doesn't really matter which planet you're put on or how it looks if you're going to be interacting with it the same way every time. We've seen the gameplay mechanics of the game. You walk around procedurally generated planets and gather resources.

The market has had 10 billion games in this genre over the past few years. When human hands aren't putting together the content, the chances of it being boring go up exponentially. This isn't the case of you being so enlightened that you can see the possibilities of the game where others can't. You're optimistic that caves generated by a computer will have fascinating lore to uncover and I'm pessimistic of that being the case.

The game is almost certainly a 100% single player game also, in a genre that has benefited greatly from being able to play with friends. This is why everybody is shitting their pants about a tiny potential chance of being able to find other real people so long as some effort is put in.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

could they have gravity as planets and stars dnt, i assume that its just going to kill me as soon as i get near it. i want to be spaghettified.

You get sent back to the start where you meet yourself but struggle to communicate 'danger ahead' because you materialised as a large pineapple.

Anyone else feel like that 10% life rule has been changed to some extent? How unlikely was it that this guy didn't start on a completely barren planet? All of the pre-release footage we've seen definitely doesn't convey 10% 90% rule, so I wonder if Sean just decided to alter it at some point.

Klyka

Banned
Yes but it doesn't really matter which planet you're put on or how it looks if you're going to be interacting with it the same way every time. We've seen the gameplay mechanics of the game. You walk around procedurally generated planets and gather resources.

The market has had 10 billion games in this genre over the past few years. When human hands aren't putting together the content, the chances of it being boring go up exponentially. This isn't the case of you being so enlightened that you can see the possibilities of the game where others can't. You're optimistic that caves generated by a computer will have fascinating lore to uncover and I'm pessimistic of that being the case.

The game is almost certainly a 100% single player game also, in a genre that has benefited greatly from being able to play with friends. This is why everybody is shitting their pants about a tiny potential chance of being able to find other real people so long as some effort is put in.

I agree with you, this is a post I made elsewhere:

The big problem with procedural games like this is that you may think that the exploration will be fun, but the problem is that nothing actually DOES anything.
Yes, things may look different but they will all behave the exact same and work the same and do the same things.
You'll never come across something really amazing happening that makes you go "woah" because it's all the simplest AI.
You might see a cool looking monster but all it does is walk around the same way as all other monsters.
You might find a place that looks cool but nothing ever happens there.
So once you have seen all the mechanics at work, you have seen the entire game and nothing will ever surprise you anymore.

That's the problem with procedural generation:

scripted/handcrafted > procedural every time

Protome

You probably get trapped in your daughter's bookcase spread across time.

Roscoe182

You get sent back to the start where you meet yourself but struggle to communicate 'danger ahead' because you materialised as a large pineapple.

im not entirely sure what just happened but i read your comment as dead serious for a second i dnt think i have been more confused lol.

so i have a question or 3 i dnt think has been answered but im pretty sure the answer is no.

could there be Quasars or pulsars?
are there binary stars/ black holes?
can i fly into a sun,,,, just for the lol'z
worm holes?

Anyone else feel like that 10% life rule has been changed to some extent? How unlikely was it that this guy didn't start on a completely barren planet? All of the pre-release footage we've seen definitely doesn't convey 10% 90% rule, so I wonder if Sean just decided to alter it at some point.

If I had to guess, they probably make sure you don't start on an empty, completely lifeless world. Bad first impressions and all.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

We have no context based on what Sean considers 'barren'.

Atlas, huh? At a glance, it might be a language rock, but it might actually be related to getting to the center of the universe. Probably meaning that it's a perpetual quest?
That quest blurb makes me think of The Swapper and its Watchers. Maybe those Monoliths are sentient. Calling to you. Hacking into your suit and telling you to find them

For some reason you're ignoring that you can see your friend on the galactic map, and that a space station would be a easy meet up point once you do make it to the same star system with a friend. The only one deluding himself is you.

Really ? Are you able to do that for any possible friend on my friends list ? Too see what their route is for example ?

That's hella cool.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
im not entirely sure what just happened but i read your comment as dead serious for a second i dnt think i have been more confused lol.

so i have a question or 3 i dnt think has been answered but im pretty sure the answer is no.

worm holes?

You got the reference though, right?

We have portal hubs like this. Perhaps black holes send you to different galaxies and these send you different planets in the same galaxy:

20131424202_f0645779e1_b.jpg

Roscoe182

i mentioned this a few pages back.as i pointed out im my sumation of the 10%-90% at which i proved im retared.

like 10% of 18q is still 1q .. thats such a huge number on its own but then you compare it to the number of possible planets and my brain melts because even tho that number is so big, its tiny in comparison.

i said i wouldn't be surprised if that number was bumped even a little within a few weeks

This isn't true at all. That may be your personal opinion based on your own personal preference for developer-generated content... but it isn't universally true in design. Emergent content and gameplay has always been more interesting and had more longevity than tailor-made experiences - outside of a handful of the best-of-the-best narrative exceptions. You can't compare something like No Man's Sky to something like The Last of Us and say that the former is lacking in engaging lore and story - because 99% of games would also fail that comparison, regardless of their content generation methodology.

Plus, Bethesda has repeatedly proven that content 'put together with human hands' can still be derivative and boring.

Roscoe182

You got the reference though, right?

We have portal hubs like this. Perhaps black holes send you to different galaxies and these send you different planets in the same galaxy:

i did indeed :)

i was just pondering if they may be in the game, im a huge space nerd and i think im playing the game for a different reason than the majority (im the type of tit that will try and manually fly to the next planet) most of my time will be spent in space just looking at it.

Yeah i would think thats a fair guess.
im happy we are starved of info but at the same time... i just .... i need to know.

This isn't true at all. That may be your personal opinion based on your own personal preference for developer-generated content... but it isn't universally true in design. Emergent content and gameplay has always been more interesting and had more longevity than tailor-made experiences - outside of a handful of the best-of-the-best narrative exceptions. You can't compare something like No Man's Sky to something like The Last of Us and say that the former is lacking in engaging lore and story - because 99% of games would also fail that comparison, regardless of their content generation methodology.

Plus, Bethesda has repeatedly proven that content 'put together with human hands' can still be derivative and boring.

That and the actual universe we live in is itself not made with human hands (and arguably, is procedurally generated), yet is still full of incredible things that we value for their beauty.

Klyka

Banned
That and the actual universe we live in is itself not made with human hands (and arguably, is procedurally generated), yet is still full of incredible things that we value for their beauty.

You sadly can't compare the complexity and thereby achievable beauty of the randomness of real life to a game that has to run on PS4 hardware procedurally generating content.

Truant

Just saw the video. The game looks like you're running around with a 30% zoom on at all times. The FOV can't be above 60.

Roscoe182

i mean seeing something like this in the game would make me scream like a little girly man.

Real Quasar
quasar2.jpg

what they might look like
Quasar.jpg

I think you've got this right. I think once people dive into the game and see the practicalities of distance and travel in the universe, a lot of the talk of going out to meet up with your mates will dry up. "Some effort" is a stellar mass worth of understatement.

Although I'm sure there will be a small number of dedicated players out there who might pull it off, I won't expect to see it until the game has been out for quite some time.

worm holes?

Not sure about pulsars/quasars.

I think I read something about binary systems, and IIRC Sean confirmed black holes in an interview.

I'd guess that flying too close to a star will just fry your ship.

I think the portals that warp you around are the equivalent of wormholes.

Roscoe182

Not sure about pulsars/quasars.

I think I read something about binary systems, and IIRC Sean confirmed black holes in an interview.

I'd guess that flying too close to a star will just fry your ship.

I think the portals that warp you around are the equivalent of wormholes.

yeahhhh buddy. i remember him saying aboot blk holes and im sure he confirmed binary aswell but id need to go and find it to be sure.

yeah its guna kill me but it has to be done... how close is too close lol.

yeah those portals were just mentioned.

Vorheez

O......k then
Man, get outta here Klyka you goddamn troll

I remember arguing with you 5 months ago when you were trying to convince everyone that The Division was the second coming of jesus. We all know how that turned out. Your opinions on games suck, and all you're doing is shitting on everyone else's genuine excitement and hype for this game. That makes you a bad person. Let them make up their own damn minds and let them experience the game how they want to experience it. You aren't the fuckin video game general who lays down ground rules about which games can be enjoyed and to what extent they can be enjoyed. You don't like NMS? That's totally cool with me, but why are you still here acting like a thorn in everyone's side? Go away

Elandyll

Banned
I like this theory
I don't, as well as the whole MP talk thing, for at least two reasons

1) It's not what the game is, or was meant to be. Ever.

2) Putting any form of mp (or any major featire really) behind finishing the game would be akin to giving people the rope they woudl use to hang you. Basically admitting the feature exists, is in game, but locked behing 30-40hours of what many people would then consider "grind".
The outcry would be so huge that HG would be forced to unlock the MP feature within days, a month at most.

So... I rather hope not.

I remember arguing with you 5 months ago when you were trying to convince everyone that The Division was the second coming of jesus. We all know how that turned out. Your opinions on games suck, and all you're doing is shitting on everyone else's genuine excitement and hype for this game. That makes you a bad person. Let them make up their own damn minds and let them experience the game how they want to experience it. You aren't the fuckin video game general who lays down ground rules about which games can be enjoyed and to what extent they can be enjoyed.

Jesus.

Can we relax a bit. Just a week to go. Take a deep breath everyone and remember: no matter the hype, it's JUST a video game.

Klyka

Banned

I remember arguing with you 5 months ago when you were trying to convince everyone that The Division was the second coming of jesus. We all know how that turned out. Your opinions on games suck, and all you're doing is shitting on everyone else's genuine excitement and hype for this game. That makes you a bad person. Let them make up their own damn minds and let them experience the game how they want to experience it. You aren't the fuckin video game general who lays down ground rules about which games can be enjoyed and to what extent they can be enjoyed.

Never argued that, just always answered things with facts about the game, as I have always done, but ok.

So,sure, go ahead and argue that a game's procedual generation has the complexity of REAL LIFE.

All good, not my problem.

I was watching the video again, and I started thinking: what if I waste all of the multitool energy and I don't have materials to replenish its charge? Would that be the equivalent of breaking the game, at least on the initial planet where there's no economy?

You can interact with plants by pressing square and getting carbon to recharge the multitool, it's in the video too. You won't break the game, you'll just have to look harder until you recharge your multitool

Top Bottom