• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

Kimaka

new screens from german magazine (i don't know which one, i took them from reddit)

p.s. they are not scans
wAmr0fH.jpg

I love this shot. Beautiful.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
A few minutes of poor quality footage from a Twitch stream: https://youtu.be/KB3_RMkXnXM

I'm a little worried about variety after seeing this. We've seen the hostile vine-thing in Balari V footage and the other leaker's video, and the bulbous plant in the latter.

I think plant variety wont be very high. There will be mushrooms, trees, vines, shrubs and grass from what I've seen. I imagine varying on these is not going to be very possible. If a plant can have vines, there are only so many variations of that. But in that regard, the vines that whip that we saw looked different, and were part of a larger plant - they both curled up, but maybe we did a side by side, it would be more different than we think.

Regardless - I'm not worried yet, because from what I've seen there is already a loooot of different sorts of terrain and wildlife. We'll probably see similar themes though (bird like creatures for example will probably not vary toooo much from one to the other. Scale and texture aside).

greatgeek

Banned
Another thing that caught my eye was that the planet overview pop-up indicated that there was no flora when there clearly is.

A few minutes of poor quality footage from a Twitch stream: https://youtu.be/KB3_RMkXnXM
1) Around 1:40, does anyone think that looks like the panther-like creature have young with them? The smaller creatures look like smaller versions, and are running around among the larger ones. And the larger ones seems to be interacting with them

2) Big-ass cliffs. Excellent. Walking among massive overhangs and cliffs was one of the best part of Minecraft's exploration

greatgeek

Banned
1) Around 1:40, does anyone think that looks like the panther-like creature have young with them? The smaller creatures look like smaller versions, and are running around among the larger ones. And the larger ones seems to be interacting with them
When the leaker scanned a creature in the 30 min. video, the scan results noted that the scanned creature was an adult. I think there will be young and adult versions of some creatures.

2) Big-ass cliffs. Excellent. Walking among massive overhangs and cliffs was one of the best part of Minecraft's exploration

Yeah, its pretty wild that each planet has scalable cliffs/possibly mountains, and its to scale. As in you look doen, you see far from the ground. You could probably lose hours wandering a world.

Also, none of the leaks have showed off purely desert/ocean planets yet..

Caved in and watched gatdangit.

1. Yeah, the "pantherbaboons" look to have young and are using herd mentality.

2. The freaking cliffs are exactly what I wanted. That actually surpassed my expectations. Like holy crap. The mystery of what is at the bottom or across the gap and the curious drive to find out was hitting me full on and I'm not even playing it yet lol.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

They do have young with them. In the first gameplay vid the guy leaked there were creatures with young with them.

When the leaker scanned a creature in the 30 min. video, the scan results noted that the scanned creature was an adult. I think there will be young and adult versions of some creatures.
Awesome. Wonder if that means there will be male and female creatures as well. Opens the door for even more variations among an ecosystem.

Feeding and young creatures make we wonder if you can raise creature as well.

greatgeek

Banned
Yeah, its pretty wild that each planet has scalable cliffs/possibly mountains, and its to scale. As in you look doen, you see far from the ground. You could probably lose hours wandering a world.

Also, none of the leaks have showed off purely desert/ocean planets yet..
Unless ships can land on water, there will be no planets that are 100% water. There will always be some kind of terrain for a player to land on. And there will probably have to be enough landing sites for players to reasonably access every part of a water world's ocean.

Eccocid

Awesome. Wonder if that means there will be male and female creatures as well. Opens the door for even more variations among an ecosystem.

Feeding and young creatures make we wonder if you can raise creature as well.

IT would be awesome if there was some sort of quest where you could catch the animals with a gadget in your hand and you have to catch them all..
lol

SomTervo

Remember that the procedural algorithms break more and more the closer we get to the galactic centre

This is outer rim stuff

Unless ships can land on water, there will be no planets that are 100% water. There will always be some kind of terrain for a player to land on. And there will probably have to be enough landing sites for players to reasonably access every part of a water world's ocean.

Pretty sure the opposite is confirmed. Iirc Sean said there are 100% desert and water planets.

I'm certain that there will be upgrades to get the ship underwater

IT would be awesome if there was some sort of quest where you could catch the animals with a gadget in your hand and you have to catch them all..
lol
I'm kind of hoping for a "career" path like a zoologist, breeding and raising rare creatures and then selling them to a space station zoo

Considering that Sean himself drowned trying to swim to a point of interest too deep underwater for him to reach, I can't imagine that there isn't some kind of ship or ship upgrade to let you land on water or submerge like a submersible.

And Sean said yes to all-ocean "Waterworld" planets and all-desert "Dune" planets in a Q&A. Think it was the GI one

ultrazilla

The center of the Universe in this game actually depicts a "heaven" of sorts of games that have come before it. From the likes of pong and Atari 2600 era games all the way up to current offerings, the player will be enveloped in light and taken to a virtual grave yard of sorts with the core meaning of the game being the meaning of it's life ie, the journey of life/video games.

I made that up but thought it was a neat idea.

greatgeek

Banned
Considering that Sean himself drowned trying to swim to a point of interest too deep underwater for him to reach, I can't imagine that there isn't some kind of ship or ship upgrade to let you land on water or submerge like a submersible.

And Sean said yes to all-ocean "Waterworld" planets and all-desert "Dune" planets in a Q&A. Think it was the GI one
Sean has said that ships cannot be taken underwater. That might not be true, but it's what we've been told. Whether or not ships can land on water is unknown. But for a player to reach deep waters, it is not necessary for either to be true. A player could swim to a deep part of an ocean from the island/continent they landed on.

Are there any planets with rings like Saturn?
Yes.

Vexidus

Okay, after seeing that No Man's Stranding shot, I'm officially out of this thread! See y'all in the screenshot thread/OT in a couple weeks.

What are the little stacks of cubes on some sections of terrain for?

I saw them in the leak videos and even in videos from the very first previews Sean did.

Someone said they were placeholders, but they are in the final release version too.

What are they for?

What are the little stacks of cubes on some sections of terrain for?

I saw them in the leak videos and even in videos from the very first previews Sean did.

Someone said they were placeholders, but they are in the final release version too.

What are they for?

I believe after using the scanner the highlighted cubes represent areas that has resources that you can get.

G-Bus

Banned
Screenshot on reddit of the galactic map says it's 40,000 light years to the centre.

Wonder how far you can jump with the warp drive fully upgraded.

Screenshot on reddit of the galactic map says it's 40,000 light years to the centre.

Wonder how far you can jump with the warp drive fully upgraded.

You can't really compare the two as they are completely different games but if they do anything similar to Elite: Dangerous, I'd expect high end jump ranges in the 30-50 LY territory.

For reference, this is some info from Elite: Dangerous
Sagittarius A* is 25,900 light years from Sol. It will take roughly 700 jumps to reach the system with a 35-40ly jump range. The record time for reaching Sagittarius A* is around 8-9 hours of nonstop play and not exploring the systems on the way there. Normally, a realistic, profitable voyage to Sagittarius A* and back will take a few weeks.

Now Sol is approx 15,500 LY from the edge of the Galaxy so the distance from the "edge" of the Galaxy (at it's Southern most point) to Sag A* is approx 41,000 LY.

Not to different from No Man's Sky, at least based on the info we have so far.

greatgeek

Banned
An update from the leaker:
Daymeeuhn said:
Here are some quick answers to the most FAQ I've been getting in PMs:

The planets almost always have some degree of life, although some are more plentiful than others. I have yet to encounter a planet quite as teeming with life as some of the ones shown in the trailer / demo vids. Maybe as I get closer to the center? Time will tell. Whenever you land on a planet, it gives you metrics on the Flora and Fauna, anywhere from "Yeah there's a shit ton!" to "None" and even on the "None" planets, I've found life - so I'm pretty sure it may be actually impossible for a planet to be 100% bone dry on life.

The planets are pretty big. Sometimes annoyingly big. It's actually faster to fly up in to orbit to circle around a planet to get to POIs than it is to fly at surface level (as you have maximum speeds and semi-orbit is 10x the max as surface level) which feels a little weird sometimes while playing.

I'm pretty sure this game is 60FPS but I could be wrong, is there a definitive way to check? I haven't experienced frame loss at all while playing.

The trophy list isn't actually "turned on" in the trophy section yet. I do earn trophies - they pop up like normal - but when I go to try and view them in my trophy list, nothing appears. I guess they're waiting? Who knows.

The clouds are not procedural, at least not yet, but I think this is because it's just a placeholder. As you approach and enter planets etc they go through shifts in display representing distance, and at maximum distance you're viewing the outer most "layer" IE: the cloud layer and this doesn't seem to change. Maybe they just didn't want to bother making those layers procedural? I don't know.

Everyone keeps asking me what I think about this game and what kind of score I would give it etc, and I don't want to answer those questions until I'm done playing it, HOWEVER, I will say this:

Expectations on this game seem a bit over hyped, and not because "the game is bad" but rather because I think expectations don't necessarily match the gameplay style of what's actually here. You NEED, ABSOLUTELY NEED to come in to this game with an open mind about what to expect if you're going to be happy. If you just make assumptions on how this game plays and if you think you've already made up your mind on how much you're going to like it, you may be disappointed. This would be like going to see Terminator 2 for the first time expecting another horror thriller like Terminator 1, and then being disappointed because it ends up being a really action-packed blockbuster. Was the movie bad? Of course not, it's one of the best movies of all time - but your expectations did not meet reality and now you're upset regardless. I see some reviewers coming at this full guns blazing over this, time will tell.

I will work up my own review and I'll post it. It's just taking me time to find the right words to express what this has been like as a player and I also refuse to make a final say on it until I've "finished" by reaching the center.

More later! Back to work!

Tagyhag

Expectations on this game seem a bit over hyped, and not because "the game is bad" but rather because I think expectations don't necessarily match the gameplay style of what's actually here. You NEED, ABSOLUTELY NEED to come in to this game with an open mind about what to expect if you're going to be happy. If you just make assumptions on how this game plays and if you think you've already made up your mind on how much you're going to like it, you may be disappointed. This would be like going to see Terminator 2 for the first time expecting another horror thriller like Terminator 1, and then being disappointed because it ends up being a really action-packed blockbuster. Was the movie bad? Of course not, it's one of the best movies of all time - but your expectations did not meet reality and now you're upset regardless. I see some reviewers coming at this full guns blazing over this, time will tell.

I'm sure this is going to be the general outlook when professional reviews start coming out.

People expecting the game of the generation, a new Minecraft, or a space simulator with all the planets in the game looking completely different from one another and the majority of them being completely barren are going to be severely disappointed.

Those who just go looking for a good game might not.

I'm sure this is going to be the general outlook when professional reviews start coming out.

People expecting the game of the generation, a new Minecraft, or a space simulator with all the planets in the game looking completely different from one another and the majority of them being completely barren are going to be severely disappointed.

Those who just go looking for a good game might not.

Eh, I compare it to minecraft in the sense that there will be a sense of wonder and exploration. Minecraft got a bit still afterwards, but my favorite part was always digging through the bottom and exploring the formations.

Sooooo, what's the skinny on grass rotation? In or out or lessened.

Depends on the foliage. Like, if there's 2d foliage, it will rotate. But there's also foliage that isn't 2D and doesn't rotate

Tidalwave

So whats everyones opinion the the leaked footage? I haven't checked any out myself yet but I've thumbed through some of the posts.

Reszo

Can we still name planets?

I assume we can still name everything, they talk about it in pretty much every interview.
However in all the leaked vids I haven't seen anyone name anything yet. I assume they just didn't know how to.

Top Bottom