• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No monthly PSU fees on 36tees

Xenon

M3wThr33 said:
Still not getting me to switch.
Seperate servers + voice instead of keyboard = no.

Yeah that is bad. But I really just want access to the grinding aspect of the game. 90% of my PSO was solo. The 10% was when the game was first released and the servers were not filled with idiots. It was prob the best online experience I ever had. Too bad I don't foresee this with PSU

shpankey

not an idiot
PepsimanVsJoe said:
You're right I'd rather type out. "Somebody help me with this monster I'm low on 'mates." than actually say it.

PSU + 360 = :) :D :) :D
:lol

sweet news, i hope it's true

SuperPac

sangreal said:
in the latest PSM they played on the same server w/ all 3 versions

PSM or O(fficial)PM? (You say PSM but then the quote is Ziff-Davis, and that's OPM...such a common mistake.) Either way, if true then BONUS! If not true it doesn't matter, I'm still buying the 360 version.

sangreal

SuperPac said:
PSM or O(fficial)PM? (You say PSM but then the quote is Ziff-Davis, and that's OPM...such a common mistake.) Either way, if true then BONUS! If not true it doesn't matter, I'm still buying the 360 version.

sorry I meant OPM

OPM, EGM and CGW all have previews on PSU this month

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
will 360 players be able to play simulataniously with pc and ps2 users?

kiryogi

Banned
ChrisAllenFiz said:
The worst part is that now if its not true GAF will act as if they`ve been stiffed

Which is also enforced by all the statements like the one above, "will buy if true" :eek:

kiryogi said:
Which is also enforced by all the statements like the one above, "will buy if true" :eek:

Why you gotta be like that? Go play some singleplayer PSU or something. My parade has already been cancelled due to rain. :(

I was thinking it would be free due to SEGA not being able to charge for microtransactions on the other systems. I bet MS made a trade off, no monthly fee in exchange for SEGA keeping all monies for the microtransactions.

I played the heck out of the Dreamcast and GameCube versions and I hate to admit how much extra I would have been willing to pay at the time for microtransactions.

kiryogi

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Why you gotta be like that? Go play some singleplayer PSU or something. My parade has already been cancelled due to rain. :(

My parade is already rained on with a server wipe pending in 20+ hours :p 1 1/2 day of work gone! SO being realistic is the only thing I could do here. (I was trying to be very optimsitic about the rollback/wipes when they made the server announcements. Details were vague then D: )

Would be fantastic if true (would make up for the separate servers), but I'm very skeptical. This isn't the most solid of sources.

kiryogi said:
My parade is already rained on with a server wipe pending in 20+ hours :p 1 1/2 day of work gone! SO being realistic is the only thing I could do here. (I was trying to be very optimsitic about the rollback/wipes)

I can understand but hey.

Picture Ludacris doing this shitty remix.
ROLL BACK
I got my online game, pulled back
ROLL BACK
My swords and levels, just lost that
ROLL BACK
Both my level twenties, I can't go back
ROLL BACK
Sega sucks ass, you can't stop that
ROLL BACK

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
They better let you only play with friends if you want to. I can't imagine playing PSO having to actually hear those idiots' voices.

Mr Jared

Considering the source of this news, I would take it with a huge grain of salt. Orange Lounge Radio really doesn't know anything about anything and they sure as hell don't know anyone.

Tellaerin

PepsimanVsJoe said:
On one hand you deal with people yammering on and on(and don't think for a second that I won't be singing along to ABBA while I play)

And there you have it. The best argument yet against having voice chat in games. :p

SuperPac

OldJadedGamer said:
I was thinking it would be free due to SEGA not being able to charge for microtransactions on the other systems.

Why couldn't they charge for microtransactions on the other systems? Just because XBL has a built-in hub/infrastructure for that sort of thing doesn't mean they couldn't do it. Didn't Sony just do a thing with SOCOM where they were gonna charge for downloadable maps? Microtransaction!

jett

D-Member
Well...you're already paying for XboxLive. It's bullshit that you have to pay for the PS2 version, it's not a goddamn mmorpg.

Zonar

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Well yeah I was just making a joke. And hey I'm a fan of typing(I still keep my DC around for Typing of the Dead) but PSO/PSU is the kind of game I'd prefer to lean back in my chair and talk about current events or calling people fagorts while playing. On one hand you deal with people yammering on and on(and don't think for a second that I won't be singing along to ABBA while I play) or you'll have constant text bubbles popping up all over the place.

I figure Sega has muting options in place for when other players are being idiots, but we'll see how it all plays out when the game finally comes out worldwide.

Also technically you're paying to play most of the XBL library anyway so hey whatever. Less than $50 a year still kills $120+ a year and I get to play other games as well.

*note to self- block PepsimanVsJoe off any xbl game*

MrDaravon

Personally I'd rather type since I NEVER had an Xbox PSO game go down without some retard screaming/singing/cursing/being annoying nonstop. Ideally voice chat would be better, but...

Anwyay this seems shady, and if it turns out to be false it's going to be disappointment total for you guys. I'm still getting it on PS2 since that's what all my friends have. Also one of the previews of the 360 version said that the 360 version is higher res but actually makes the game and backgrounds look worse than the PS2 version. Either way I don't think there's much of a quality difference graphically.

Tellaerin

jett said:
Well...you're already paying for XboxLive. It's bullshit that you have to pay for the PS2 version, it's not a goddamn mmorpg.

They are storing all the character information server-side and running the lobbies, so they're actually providing a service for the money. A few bucks a month for a Hunter's License isn't a big deal. I have no trouble paying for it, as long as it's priced appropriately for what they're providing (which would be $5-10 a month, tops).

duckroll

Tellaerin said:
They are storing all the character information server-side and running the lobbies, so they're actually providing a service for the money. A few bucks a month for a Hunter's License isn't a big deal. I have no trouble paying for it, as long as it's priced appropriately for what they're providing (which would be $5-10 a month, tops).

And what the **** was Battle.net? :lol

there is a possibility that PSU on the 360 could still support keyboard chat...even the Xbox version supported it (admittedly with a hard to find usb adapter though)

Xellos

Awesome news (if true). I enjoyed PSO v.1 on DC, but I stopped playing when they started charging (v.2). I was considering PSU for the (supposedly) improved single player, but if it really is free on LIVE, then I'm definitely going to give it a shot.

duckroll

Synthesizer Patel said:
Does anyone know why they're performing a server wipe?

That means everyone's losing their characters? That's pretty damn serious...

There was a massive server maintainence for capacity upgrade and other stuff. Somewhere along the way some shit happened and there was item duping. Then some other shit happened. They were going to rollback, but then they couldn't decide where to rollback to (or had nothing to rollback to), so they just decided to call it a night and offer everyone an extra free month.

Tellaerin

duckroll said:
And what the **** was Battle.net? :lol

An honest question: Did battle.net provide any additional content, like downloadable quests and the like? That's one of the things people pay for as part of the monthly fee in a traditional MMO, and it's also something that Sega offered with PSO in the past. If battle.net did something similar for free, then maybe you have a point.

duckroll said:
There was a massive server maintainence for capacity upgrade and other stuff. Somewhere along the way some shit happened and there was item duping. Then some other shit happened. They were going to rollback, but then they couldn't decide where to rollback to (or had nothing to rollback to), so they just decided to call it a night and offer everyone an extra free month.

That is unbelievably poor. So everyone just loses their first week of gameplay? Wow. That's so not acceptable!

i will purchase this game for 360. this is a good strategy by sega to get potential buyers, as i have no desire to play the game on pc or ps2, and i refuse to pay extra monthly fees (unless it's madden!) for a game.

ace!

Top Bottom