• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No new SFV character?

nded

I know it is not an official translation, but knowing past official translations I know there IS a reason why they used a word related to "man" to talk about poison =|

The Japanese phrase in the original appears to be "otoko masari" which translates to "superior to men", not necessarily "mannish". It's used to describe strong-willed, assertive women, but often in a pejorative sense because Japan.

Platy

The Japanese phrase in the original appears to be "otoko masari" which translates to "superior to men", not necessarily "mannish". It's used to describe strong-willed, assertive women, but often in a pejorative sense because Japan.

Lets hope you are right ... and that they don't do shit like this again

XQ1iw3B.png

I'm hoping they go with something like brash, because that describes her perfectly, and implies assertiveness.

Even better they could also add a direct statement that she's transgender. All these continuous puns and innuendo are ridiculous.

Pompadour

I'm hoping they go with something like brash, because that describes her perfectly, and implies assertiveness.

Even better they could also add a direct statement that she's transgender. All these continuous puns and innuendo are ridiculous.

The whole thing is so bizarre. I remember they hired someone from GLAAD to review Poison's portrayal in SFxT which essentially all they did was remove all the "she's actually a man" jokes from character winquotes.

Piers

The whole thing is so bizarre. I remember they hired someone from GLAAD to review Poison's portrayal in SFxT which essentially all they did was remove all the "she's actually a man" jokes from character winquotes.

It strikes me as similar to people wanting to believe that Lady Gaga has a penis due to mishap creasing in one photo.

Platy

It strikes me as similar to people wanting to believe that Lady Gaga has a penis due to mishap creasing in one photo.

Yeah people who wants to believe that Poison is a cis woman are similar to those people who want to believe that Lady Gaga is a trans woman ... there are ZERO proof of both cases being true

I don't quite understand why they can't just be upfront about her. She's a great character, and bogging her down with all this pointless (and harmful) ambiguity is stupid.

Pompadour

I don't quite understand why they can't just be upfront about her. She's a great character, and bogging her down with all this pointless (and harmful) ambiguity is stupid.

I think they have been upfront about the character. I think Ono or someone at Capcom stated that she was a post-op transwoman leading up to the release of SFxT. I don't think it'll ever be explicitly stated in a game.

Village

Yeah people who wants to believe that Poison is a cis woman are similar to those people who want to believe that Lady Gaga is a trans woman ... there are ZERO proof of both cases being true

I dont think those two are comparable.

Not to suggest poison isnt, i belive she is. I also think chriss from RE is gay but thats another thing. Anyway my point is, one is real life the other can litterally be changed on a whim.

Well there are multiple Poison so she/he can be whatever you want to be. There are multiple Andore but only one Hugo.

Platy

I dont think those two are comparable.

Not to suggest poison isnt, i belive she is. I also think chriss from RE is gay but thats another thing. Anyway my point is, one is real life the other can litterally be changed on a whim.

The problem is that Capcom never outright said that she is cis

Sd99q.jpg

And this is from the first part of a 2 part video so it has EVEN MORE evidence

2012 GAF thread about those videos

I think they have been upfront about the character. I think Ono or someone at Capcom stated that she was a post-op transwoman leading up to the release of SFxT. I don't think it'll ever be explicitly stated in a game.
I'm trying to find Ono's most recent statement about her, and all I can find is this interview that states they are purposely being ambiguous. I think he's spoken about her since then, but I can't find it at the moment.

Only way it can be explained is fear of transphobic reaction
Which will happen no matter what, and the purposeful baiting doesn't help.

Well there are multiple Poison so she/he can be whatever you want to be. There are multiple Andore but only one Hugo.
I don't think that's the case at all.

Also, you would refer to her as a she in every instance. You don't refer to a transgender individual who was born a male biologically, but identifies as a woman, as a he.

I don't think that's the case at all.

Also, you would refer to her as a she in every instance. You don't refer to a transgender individual who was born a male biologically, but identifies as a woman, as a he.

In Final Fight there are multiples of people that fall under a "class" such as Poison and Andore. Hugo is part of the "Andore" class and Poison is part of the "Poison" class which may or may not be female depending on where you live. In Japan they are supposed to be trans in America they are women in the version they are available in. They were removed in some versions due to people having problems with the visuals of women beating.

Im sure Ono did come out and say that in SF4 Poison is a women in America and in Japan she may or may not be a post op trans.

In Final Fight there are multiples of people that fall under a "class" such as Poison and Andore. Hugo is part of the "Andore" class and Poison is part of the "Poison" class which may or may not be female depending on where you live. In Japan they are supposed to be trans in America they are women in the version they are available in. They were removed in some versions due to people having problems with the visuals of women beating.

Im sure Ono did come out and say that in SF4 Poison is a women in America and in Japan she may or may not be a post op trans.
I think you're conflating a gameplay conceit with overall canon. I don't think we're supposed to believe there's an army of clones of all the FF baddies roaming around in any sense other that how it serves the gameplay aspects of the series.

As for her gender, in the interview I linked above, which was released around the release of SFxT, Ono said they purposely are being ambiguous. As I said before, I think he's made a different statement since then, but I'm unable to find it currently.

Sesha

About Ono's statements about Poison: The SF wiki claims that Ono first said regarding Poison that she was post-op trans in the West and female in Japan (which is Yasuda's stance on the issue), then that he said she was post-op trans in all regions, then lastly that it's up to the player (which is the same stance Nishitani takes). There's no mention of any later comments, and I haven't searched for anything.

As for that passage in her bio on the SF5 web pages, I'm sure if people mention it to Ono he'll have it changed. They stated during SFxT's development that they don't want to offend, in regards to descriptions and character quotes about Poison being "manly" or straight up not a woman.

Platy

You are thinking the interview with GAF's Shidoshi where he said that Poison is post-OP (trans women who had genital surgery) in the USA but pre-op (trans women who did not had genital surgery) in Japan

Skab

You are thinking the interview with GAF's Shidoshi where he said that Poison is post-OP (trans women who had genital surgery) in the USA but pre-op (trans women who did not had genital surgery) in Japan

No, that was a thing Ono said.

Also its a video game character and it doesn't matter. She's whatever you want her to be.

Village

The only two poison type people canon out of that game is poison and roxie

And while yes there are a buncha adore's. There is only one that matters.

Village

No, that was a thing Ono said.

Also its a video game character and it doesn't matter. She's whatever you want her to be.
I don't think her being a video game character makes that meaningless. Being able to see people like you being cool in media is important.

Csr

What Lucas said.

Though I'm not expecting a huge balance update until after the Capcom Cup. The months leading up to the start of Wave 2 in (probably) February or March 2017 will likely be for additional modes & whatnot.

So you think that 5-7 months will pass after september before season 2 starts?
That is a big guess. Akuma would still have to not be one of the first characters for your statement that we have to wait at least a year to be true.
You shouldn't pass your multiple guesses as certainty though.

Top Bottom