• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No PS4, Xbox 720 before 2014, says Skyrim boss

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I jumped in late, so I'm cool with this. The games still look great, and if they wait until 2014, I'm sure the tech upgrade will be absolutely worth it. Leaving the Wii U in the dust once again.

I'll probably buy a console earlier this time around too. I missed out on quite a few greats being-PC only until last year.

[Nintex] said:
EA is already gearing up for next-gen with Moore and all. Criterion working on 'new platforms'. Crytek seems to be working on next-gen stuff as well, Ubisoft boss said he'd like new systems, other devs chipped in and Geoff already taped some bonus rounds on the subject. I'd be surprised if Halo 4 remains an Xbox 360 game. Maybe a cross-platform release like Twilight Princess? In any case 2013 or 2014 is way too late so MS will start the viral late this year or early next year. The upgrade from DX9 to DX11 will be quite something.
Looking at dev diaries, these first gen games tend to take 4 or more years to make. 2014 sounds accurate to me.

Xdrive05

A truly "no duh!" comment on the part of Howard. Investments in the current gen hardware; engine tech and install base, would make it pretty stupid on the part of Sony/Microsoft to introduce a new tier platform right now.

Not to mention development costs. Not to mention sales are strong. Not to mention a recessed global economy. Not to mention... etc.

The effect this has had on PC games is interesting. We have 4 year old GPUs maxing out new relatively high end PC games - at least the multiplats. On the one hand it's expanding the PC hardware that is game-capable, meaning bigger potential PC game sales going forward. Then of course it also means we're not getting many games that take advantage of the latest tech either. But I digress.

Smokey

My brothers got crysis 2 on ps3 last weekend and brought it to my house to play in 3d. I have the game on pc and run it with dx11, hi res pack, ultra everything @ 1080p.

When my brother paused for a second to take a look at it on pc first thing he said was "what the fuck" followed by "wow". I said the same when viewing ps3 version but with the opposite meaning.

It's about that time folks. Gen is getting long in the tooth. 2014? Get tha fuck out

Dyno

I'm fine with the consoles but that kind of breathing space probably means that I'm going to get back into PC gaming.

gunbo13

If the WiiU doesn't blow away the competition with graphics and impressive usage of the controller, I don't see how this will make this system separate from another 1st party dominated N console. You have to ask the question of why you would play a game like Skyrim on the WiiU over the other consoles. I can only think of non-PC gamers who want a graphical lift and get use of the new controller if it enhances the gameplay. So there better be a huge graphical lift and some really wicked controller gameplay enhancements. As for heavy-MP games...no way will there be a shift in power.

I can only see another cube right now unless you are talking about some serious graphical advantageous and intuitive use of the controller. That's going to be a tough task and sell. Otherwise, we are back to an N 1st party console. That's not a deal breaker but Nintendo will also have two mainstream consoles on the market with likely similar N support...

If none of this comes to fruition, then the MS/Sony will just return the fight to each other; hence 2014.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Smokey said:
My brothers got crysis 2 on ps3 last weekend and brought it to my house to play in 3d. I have the game on pc and run it with dx11, hi res pack, ultra everything @ 1080p.

When my brother paused for a second to take a look at it on pc first thing he said was "what the fuck" followed by "wow". I said the same when viewing ps3 version but with the opposite meaning.

It's about that time folks. Gen is getting long in the tooth. 2014? Get tha fuck out
How much did it cost you to get that kind of performance out of Crysis 2?
On the other hand, there's a good chance PS3 will be $199 before year's end.

This generation should have made it clear that the console business isn't really about selling super high level, competitive tech; it's about catering to a mass audience.

genjiZERO

I am very very happy with the current generation. I have no desire whatsoever to buy a new console. WiiU doesn't even slightly interest me. The generation is finally getting interesting. Another couple of years would be perfect.

Smokey said:

I'm glad you can afford to spend all that money on a computer . . . But I'm not sure that most people can afford to upgrade like this. I certainly can't. New consoles now would be an excessive burden on me financially. Gaming is more expensive now, in general too, and average people's incomes haven't increased to keep up with it. I can't see the next generation being cheap(er) either...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Ok, that is the bat-signal to buy a new PC next year, will wait till after E3 to make sure *fuckyeah.gif*

gunbo13 said:
Not bad for us but not good for Nintendo.

But the GC was about efficiency over raw power. When people start seeing that PS4/720 down ports aren't extremely different, Nintendo will come out fine.

But back on topic, I don't see any of them waiting till after 2013.

drexplora

the longer the wait the better!
id love for the new consoles to drop in 2015.
Give a chance for more game devs to make some money!
At the earliest id want the new playstation machine to drop early 2014.

Ravage

2014 is fine with me really. I'm in no urgent need for visual upgrades when games like Uncharted 3 are around the corner.

mclem

eso76 said:
At this point it's more of a disadvantage imho, it will be treated as current gen (getting current gen games) until next gen launches, then it will look very outdated and will fall out of the third party porting loop. Which might not be a concern for Nintendo and its fans, but somehow i don't think Wiiu appeals to casuals as much as Wii did.

If we take it as read that the Wii U will have similar development pipelines to the current HD twins, what'd be third parties' motivation to change after PS4/Xbox720 come out and *reduce* the number of systems they release on?

This is, of course, assuming that the Wii U does manage to get established with decent mindshare, which isn't set in stone.

bj00rn_

Banned
That's ok with me.., but I don't think can't stick around with consoles for much longer. As much as I enjoy my console gaming right now, I have this feeling that even third generation software can't keep them from going a little long in the tooth.

I've already started to pick up PC gaming again the last couple of months. So now I'm just going to upgrade my hardware and buy a solid PC to keep my interest fresh for a couple of years more. And then around 2013-2014 when console technology takes a, hopefully, giant leap, I'll probably go back to console gaming as my main platform again.

Smokey

Krev said:
How much did it cost you to get that kind of performance out of Crysis 2?
On the other hand, there's a good chance PS3 will be $199 before year's end.

This generation should have made it clear that the console business isn't really about selling super high level, competitive tech; it's about catering to a mass audience.
These consoles can barely do 720p and half the time the games are in sub hd. Combine that with hardly any AA and they just look dated. I happen to have a top tier machine but you don't need one at all to see an improvement over consoles.600-700 range and you could run most games at 1080p, with aa, qnd around 30fps.

Ive said it before but ill say it again. I believe nintendo has done a lot of good with broadening the gamer base, but tech wise they may have set this industry back for years.

dragonlife said:
Thank you for your all-encompassing input. It must have been hard gazing down upon us from your exalted palace in the skies. You have parted the heavens with your words and have instilled in us true wisdom.

Please, we beg for more of your knowledge.

Buy a capable game rig and embrace your eye's destiny for seeing clear 1080p content and 16xAF textures. The lord has spoken.

Either the new Xbox or PS should be announced as being in the pipeline come E3 2012. Just so they can build momentum and still have some time to get the launch line up right. I'm thinking late 2013 or early 2014 for release. From the looks of it, both of them are going to integrate Kinect/Move functionality which is great expect all 3 systems have completely different alternate control schemes. As for Nintendo (as mentioned before) we don't know jack about their plans. If they price right and get a proper lineup for everyone from launch, it'll make things much for interesting when the other two eventually come out. With that being said, I'm totally fine with waiting out a bit longer for the next-gen just because I feel the current-gen hasn't completely peaked yet. We're getting there but I figure we got atleast another year of AAA games before devs start to feel really constricted?

endre

I am constantly reading about low FPS cry outs. Is it me or the majority of the people don't understand what is the reason for low frame rate (or maybe I am wrong).

I don't think next gen will address this "issue", because developers will again choose to implement more eye candy on the expense of the frame rate.

XOMTOR

Smokey said:
I have the game on pc and run it with dx11, hi res pack, ultra everything @ 1080p.

As do I and while I'll attest that it looks great, that's all I can honestly say about Crysis 2. I beat it once a while back and now I can't play more than 20 minutes without my eyes glazing over. Such uninspiring gameplay, even for a shooter. Boring campaign, it's buggy and has a broken multi to top it off.

On the other hand, I'm still actively playing Killzone 2 after all these years and while it may not have the wow factor visually (debatable), it has what it counts to keep it interesting.

Moral to the story: we don't need new consoles if all it means is fancier graphics; we need advancements in terms of gameplay. If the latter, bring on the new consoles ASAP, if the former, wait until 2020 for all I care.

Palette Swap said:
Most current gen games on next gen hardware, sure.
Games taylored for next gen hardware? They'll probably use that increase in power to push other aspects that are more immediately differentiating.

They've never used a generation gap to make 60 fps a standard so I have no reason to believe they would now.

Yea, but we never had 720p as norm before. Time changes

If a game developer can't make a game run 60 fps 1080p on todays high end pcs, then that game must be one hell of a pretty game. Unless they really suck at optimizing.

Most games won't be THAT pretty, not in the first years of its life atleast.

Smokey said:
These consoles can barely do 720p and half the time the games are in sub hd. Combine that with hardly any AA and they just look dated. I happen to have a top tier machine but you don't need one at all to see an improvement over consoles.600-700 range and you could run most games at 1080p, with aa, qnd around 30fps.

Ive said it before but ill say it again. I believe nintendo has done a lot of good with broadening the gamer base, but tech wise they may have set this industry back for years.

Great point but then again, when the new PS/Xbox roll out they "should" be back ahead of the curve. This was the first HD generation so it only makes sense the next one will start pushing for 1080p as a standard like 720p for the current one. PC will always be at the fore front of tech but all that power rarely gets utilized in earnest until the next wave of consoles with comparable specs come out.

XOMTOR said:
As do I and while I'll attest that it looks great, that's all I can honestly say about Crysis 2. I beat it once a while back and now I can't play more than 20 minutes without my eyes glazing over. Such uninspiring gameplay, even for a shooter. Boring campaign, it's buggy and has a broken multi to top it off.

On the other hand, I'm still actively playing Killzone 2 after all these years and while it may not have the wow factor visually (debatable), it has what it counts to keep it interesting.

Moral to the story: we don't need new consoles if all it means is fancier graphics; we need advancements in terms of gameplay. If the latter, bring on the new consoles ASAP, if the former, wait until 2020 for all I care.

Speak for yourself, mr junior.

XOMTOR said:

This point would have merrit if Crysis didn't come out in 2007 and was a better game than Crysis 2 and any console shooter you care to name.

Smokey

XOMTOR said:

People buy new consoles for graphics. This is a fact. Why do you think so many people are jumping to pc. Motion control was supposed to be "the new way to play games". Look at how that has turned out. Even nintendo is going back to a game pad for wii u.

Since we are talking next-gen, I think the Elder Scrolls series is too complex and hard to play on consoles, I'm thinking a Wii U version could change that.

But then again, Skyrim is coming out this year and a six months later port wouldn't be the wisest decision, unless you pack all DLCs and shit, of course.

gunbo13

Smokey said:
People buy new consoles for graphics. This is a fact.
Some people do that; gaf population more then most. Others buy them for liked franchises, unique controls, watching movies, family activities, or some combination.

But I agree, the new consoles don't have to reinvent anything. They just need to evolve, mainly in the software features department.

Sammy Samusu said:
Since we are talking next-gen, I think the Elder Scrolls series is too complex and hard to play on consoles, I'm thinking a Wii U version could change that.

But then again, Skyrim is coming out this year and a six months later port wouldn't be the wisest decision, unless you pack all DLCs and shit, of course.
How would Wii U version make it less complex? Surely adding a second screen to look at just complicates play further

I have an old 360 without HDMI or wireless internet.. I dont bother with it anymore. As a PC gamer, I am not interested in super uberpowerful console because they wont be able to hit an acceptable level.

On PC it's already slowing beginning to be the norm to play with TWICE the resolution of 1080p on consoles which is the max. After all, a maxed Crysis 1 from 2007 still looks better (modded) than anything on these consoles. And so what?

Give us amazing games. Tap into them. I still haven't seen anything good from Kinect/Move. Don't give up, as we are already being over saturated with new gaming platforms.

mclem

BlazingDarkness said:
How would Wii U version make it less complex? Surely adding a second screen to look at just complicates play further

Reducing fiddliness of controlls for inventory manipulation?

If it really is 2014 this seems like a boon for one group: PC Gamers. I don't say this because of any "master race propaganda," I say it because the demographics show more and more gamers moving to PC because they want better tech.

Just look at the number of threads about PC gaming now on this forum, for example. The platform is experiencing a boom.

SpecX

I'm fine with that. I doubt MS and Sony would rush to the market too with the way the economies have been, it would be suicide to pump tons of money into development and push a high power/high priced console out within the next year.

StuBurns

Banned
EternalGamer said:
If it really is 2014 this seems like a boon for one group: PC Gamers. I don't say this because of any "master race propaganda," I say it because the demographics show more and more gamers moving to PC because they want better tech.

Just look at the number of threads about PC gaming now on this forum, for example. The platform is experiencing a boom.
Which demographics?

BlazingDarkness said:
Having hotkeys for items, magic and equipments on the touch-screen and an always open menu could make things easier, in my opinion. Also you are browsing thru menus using a touch-screen, not buttons.

For that reason alone, I know I'm not playing Skyrim on consoles, and I hate PC gaming, so the only way I'd enjoy Skyrim is on Wii U.

Oblivion PS3 is to blame. Definitely not here for that hot mess.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I know it's easy not to notice if you don't play sports games, but increased graphical/processing capabilities have ended up in dramatic shifts in how some games/genres work.

Visual Concepts can't keep pushing that busted ass engine of theirs for a third generation of consoles right?

Announcement in 2012, release in 2013.

FTH said:
Is this masster race stuff necessary? reminds me of the PS3v360 garbage. My system better than yours nah nah nah nah anaaa

insufferable.

It's like some freak fapping in the corner of class at this point. Yay, you like masturbation, keep it to yourself.

Phonomezer said:
I'm not okay with waiting another 3 years for new hardware.

Guess I'll be buying a Wii U for superior console ports.

umm...the guy in the OP is guessing. And buying the wii U for slightly upgraded ports is bizarre considering the control option, and online backwater.

Brinbe

About what I expect, and I'd also be totally fine with that. What we have now is fine enough and if you want more, the PC option is right there for you.

Top Bottom