• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobuo Uematsu won't be working on the Final Fantasy VII Remake

Golnei

They could always call Masashi Hamauzu back.

His Legend of legacy soundtrack is the perfect blend of electronic instruments and real instruments which I think would fit FF7 well.

I love Hamauzu, but his style doesn't mesh all that well with Uematsu's at the best of times, and he's especially ill-suited to the world of FF7 - look at how out of place Dirge of Cerberus' soundtrack was. For faithfulness to the original score, I actually think they should try to get ACE+ on board for the non-orchestrated pieces, they've arranged Uematsu's music before; and their work on Xenoblade should show how adept they are at that style.

I love Hamauzu, but his style doesn't mesh all that well with Uematsu's at the best of times, and he's especially ill-suited to the world of FF7 - look at how out of place Dirge of Cerberus' soundtrack was.

Well Dirge of Cerberus itself is out of place.

I have to admit the VII rearrangements in CC didn't do a lot for me, so if Ishimoto does it, I hope he sticks very closely to the originals. I don't mind some of his orchestral work for Dissidia, but the heavy metal tracks in CC/Dissdia always felt quite jarring for me.

BibiMaghoo

They have all the songs written, they just need modernising, some of which has already been done, if not all. He is not needed for the project I would have to agree.

Just make all the songs orchestrated and you really can't go wrong. Heard it battle song and main theme orchestrated and was still good to listen to.

I mean, however they're making it, they may have the need to compose a few new interstitial "plot"/"mood" tracks, but Uematsu already made the game's soundtrack 18 years ago. I figure that it's like all of the remakes of Ys 1/2 not necessarily needing Yuzo Koshiro there to be able to arrange his soundtrack. Put sheet music of Uematsu's score in front of a live orchestra with someone else from Square in charge of the arrangements, and you're pretty good to go, right?

Edit:
Just make all the songs orchestrated and you really can't go wrong. Heard it battle song and main theme orchestrated and was still good to listen to.

Yeah, what he said

Past

People are going to shit on the rearrangement no matter what. I remember people on GAF saying they were going to boycott FFX HD because of the new OST.

RPGCrazied

Wonder how come. Just what is the man doing? Last I heard he was doing a mobile game, but thought that was done.

Omadahl

Banned
Just take the Distant Worlds recordings. Bam.
hqdefault.jpg

Disappointing but I'm not terribly shocked.

I just hope they don't pull a Dissidia where they remix his compositions without giving him proper credit (Uematsu's name doesn't appear anywhere in the original Dissidia OST liner notes despite most of the music being his original compositions.)

Oh yeah, good old Square banning composer names when they go freelance...

Chrono Trigger SNES:
XpMkFDll.jpg

Chrono Trigger PS1:
ORScYnRl.jpg

Not too concerned considering the soundtrack will mostly be remixes anyways but considering the quality of his work recently this isn't that much of a loss.

The song in the trailer is a rearranged version of the FF7 opening song. I knew the Nobuo Uematasu circle jerk would start before I could reply.

Oh yeah, good old Square banning composer names when they go freelance...

Chrono Trigger SNES:

Chrono Trigger PS1:

wow first time i see this :(

II actually think they should try to get ACE+ on board for the non-orchestrated pieces, they've arranged Uematsu's music before; and their work on Xenoblade should show how adept they are at that style.
Which tracks? I could not find anything witch a quick search. Can you give more Information? I would like to listen to it. :)

They're not using the same PS1 arrangements.

I'd rather the dude responsible for the original rearrange his own work with better tools and hardware.

Square-Enix got the original composers for Final Fantasy X, Uematsu, Hamauzu, and Nakano, to rearrange the soundtrack for the HD version, and plenty of people still disliked the new arrangements. It is likely that even if Uematsu handled the VII remake soundtrack singlehandedly, people here would end up disliking his work.

entremet

I'm not denying he's an important dude but if he was so synonymous to the point of necessity he would still be doing them.
Not at all. He moved on. But given this is a monumental remake, I would have loved him back for it.

I'm bummed out.
Square-Enix got the original composers for Final Fantasy X, Uematsu, Hamauzu, and Nakamo, to rearrange the soundtrack for the HD version, and plenty of people still disliked the new arrangements. It is likely that even if Uematsu handled the VII remake soundtrack singlehandedly, people here would end up disliking his work.
I enjoyed the arranged songs.

I'm not worried about the quality if he were back. You can't please everybody.

Wasp

He's not needed. The songs in FFVII are already perfect, they just need to be orchestrated and jobs done. Keep the remixing and rearranging to as little as possible. No electric guitars please.

squall211

Unless they are using the old tunes this sucks

After hearing FFX HDs god awful remixes I don't want a remix

Interesting. I thought most of X HD's remastered OST was quite good.

In any event, I'm not too disappointed Uematsu's not involved. It would have been nice, but it's not like the remake is going to have an all-new soundtrack. I'm sure the OST will be just fine.

Top Bottom