• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Securities: NX will be unveiled in June and released October-November

Status
Not open for further replies.
You realize that 3D Land & 3D World fall under the 3D Mario category (like the Galaxy games, 64, & Sunshine), right?

Well, they don't, do they? I appreciate that it's subjective, to a degree, but 3D Land and 3D World seem like a hybrid between the two. There's no free-look camera in either games - a feature that's present in both Galaxy and Sunshine. It's (almost) fixed perspective. 3D Land and World are also much more platform/'stage' based - few open "roamable" spaces and a lack of organic stage design. Y'know, everything's kinda tiled? It offers a far more linear (in many ways a good thing!) approach to gameplay, but inhibits natural control/exploration.

'64 had a good mix - it kept the puzzle style platform stages to the Bowser levels and some other worlds (Tick Tock Clock, kinda), whilst still maintaining an explorable 3D map for many other levels (Bob-Omb Battlefield, Hazy Maze Cave, Fuckin' Penguin Land).

Do you see where I'm coming from with this? I'm not outright attacking the recent Mario games, but they all follow a similar formula, and after a while this begins to feel monotonous.

Nachtmaer

K12 was not cancelled. Also it was not meant to compete with Samsung, QCOMM or Apple (read: not a mobile chip), but with the likes of Cavium, APM and Broadcom, and last but not least - Intel. Ok, QCOMM did make bold moves recently which would position them head-on against K12.

Yeah, I was just going by it not having shown up on any recent roadmaps as far as I'm aware and people assuming it died a silent death. And you're right that it was more of server thing than trying to jump into the mobile industry. I admit I don't know an awful lot about ARM/mobile, or frankly care much, so thanks for the info.

First ideaman, 2nd/3rd devs have NX kits if yours does not then thats Nintendos choice.

As i have said before the person that told me works for a dev who works on multiple platforms.

That person i have known personally for many years. I trust their integrity without question!

Although i do not have and specs or details of console or kit i was told that the team thought NX was awesome and to be ready to be very suprised!

AGAIN i am no insider just lucky to know a few select people in the industry.

I wanted to tell you this again as the information is in correct that all western devs do not have kits!

Neoxon

Übermatik;191774478 said:
Well, they don't, do they? I appreciate that it's subjective, to a degree, but 3D Land and 3D World seem like a hybrid between the two. There's no free-look camera in either games - a feature that's present in both Galaxy and Sunshine. It's (almost) fixed perspective. 3D Land and World are also much more platform/'stage' based - few open "roamable" spaces and a lack of organic stage design. Y'know, everything's kinda tiled? It offers a far more linear (in many ways a good thing!) approach to gameplay, but inhibits natural control/exploration.

'64 had a good mix - it kept the puzzle style platform stages to the Bowser levels and some other worlds (Tick Tock Clock, kinda), whilst still maintaining an explorable 3D map for many other levels (Bob-Omb Battlefield, Hazy Maze Cave, Fuckin' Penguin Land).

Do you see where I'm coming from with this? I'm not outright attacking the recent Mario games, but they all follow a similar formula, and after a while this begins to feel monotonous.
3D Land & 3D World (more so the latter) were described a lot as being a 3D Mario game & were mentioned in similar vein to the Galaxy games. They were even developed by the same team who did Galaxy (to my knowledge, but I think this is more of the case with 3D World).

First ideaman, 2nd/3rd devs have NX kits if yours does not then thats Nintendos choice.

As i have said before the person that told me works for a dev who works on multiple platforms.

That person i have known personally for many years. I trust their integrity without question!

Although i do not have and specs or details of console or kit i was told that the team thought NX was awesome and to be ready to be very suprised!

I wanted to tell you this again as the information is in correct that all western devs do not have kits!
You sure?

Sorry meant to say if you dont believe its no worry to me.

I have read neogaf for a long time now but thought i would join now as its getting interesting on the Nintendo front again.

I love NINTENDO as i have fun on this platform just like the old days of gaming!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Ok, since you've been posting here for a while, two questions (answer as much as you can, of course)

1) How reliable is your source? Did he/she already leak to you things that actually happened?
2) Since you can't explicitly say where it works, just a hint: a major Western studio (i.e. a big studio part of a big Western publisher)?

I am positive.

Just because one does not have does not mean others do not.

That is as much as i know plus they can tell me.

The NDA on this project is very very strict.

Hex

Banned

I have read neogaf for a long time now but thought i would join now as its getting interesting on the Nintendo front again.

I love NINTENDO as i have fun on this platform just like the old days of gaming!

You know how Nintendo had that whole "Now your're playing with Power" thing?
Statements like you made are playing with dynamite.
Just a heads up because whether or not you have been reading, you are new.
At anytime the voice from on high can peer down from on high and say "Oh yeah?" and ask you to back up your claim.
So be careful or be damned sure.

Nightbird

I am positive.

Ok, since you've been posting here for a while, two questions (answer as much as you can, of course)

1) How reliable is your source? Did he/she already leak to you things that actually happened?
2) Since you can't explicitly say where it works, just a hint: a major Western studio (i.e. a big studio part of a big Western publisher)?

you might have missed it, so i'm quoting him, but yeah:

could you please answe Mpl90's questions? that would help a lot with your reliability in the coming months

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
the answer is in the message. big, western, studio, not a sub-studio or a subset of a sub-studio, etc. Other source is the same kind.

*Ubisoft receives package*

"Dear Ubisoft, Thanks for leaking specs and details of the Wii U to everyone online. Here's your NX devkit.

Love, Nintendo"

*Ubisoft opens package to find picture of Kimishima giving the middle finger*

I dont claim and i am not an insider more a Huge gamer who has only recently since say 2nd year of Nintendo become a huge fan. I have bought most things since wii u release but got the Nintendo bug with the release of mario kart 8

I do not have to prove what i have shared, but more wanted to put correct what i know to be actual fact, and although ideaman devs or source may not have kits this one does.

Hex

Banned
So the platform is awesome and surprising and at least some western devs have dev kits.

Damn it, I'm getting hyped.

Seriously?
That is all it takes is a random junior with 11 posts to come in and say a couple of things and you are ready to go all gooey kablooey?
Just like that?

Hermii

Seriously?
That is all it takes is a random junior with 11 posts to come in and say a couple of things and you are ready to go all gooey kablooey?
Just like that?
Hehe not really. It's more a case of wanting to believe rather than actually believing.

Neoxon

I am positive.

So you're saying you have a source? Just be careful, you know what will happen if you're wrong.

I dont claim and i am not an insider more a Huge gamer who has only recently since say 2nd year of Nintendo become a huge fan. I have bought most things since wii u release but got the Nintendo bug with the release of mario kart 8

I do not have to prove what i have shared, but more wanted to put correct what i know to be actual fact, and although ideaman devs or source may not have kits this one does.
Where are you from?

edit: PM if you dont feel comfortable here

Hermii

*Ubisoft receives package*

"Dear Ubisoft, Thanks for leaking specs and details of the Wii U to everyone online. Here's your NX devkit.

Love, Nintendo"

*Ubisoft opens package to find picture of Kimishima giving the middle finger*
'Dear EA, thanks for a fruitful and unprecedented partnership'

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

This confuses me. Claming you have certain info from a developer makes you an insider. So are you posting as a fan or as someone who has a certified info?

Hex

Banned
What's inside the flaming devkit box?
giphy.gif

Eradicate

this time, there isn't really a risk that the competition copy them if the idea is brilliant and industry-shattering. For the Wii U, Sony and Microsoft could have tried to rip them off and include something similar, one year a later. Now, at the early life span of Xbone & PS4, the best they can do is releasing an add-on à la kinect & ps move/camera/whatever, with the results we know.

so the fear of the competition copying them shouldn't be the first factor in play, unless they consider apple, htc & samsung as competitors as well?

I guess the prime factors are: they need to be ready for NX + they want to save the face by not totally and suddenly dropping off the Wii U and ensuring its last titles benefit from some momentum (starfox, etc?).

Just pure speculation.

Off/on lurker for a long time here. But, I've always had a big interest in Nintendo's console releases.

You mention that this time there is little risk in Sony/Microsoft copying them due to the lifespan of where their consoles currently are. You also mention Nintendo possibly considering Apple, HTC, and Samsung as competitors as a possible reason for fear of copying.

Even without developer kits being out there, I think there are a few trains of thought that can be taken. First, is the "hook" of the NX something so different/major that Sony/Microsoft couldn't catch up to it in this generation and Nintendo completely doesn't expect them to? Second, if they could (and do so via "attachments" like through Kinect or Move that you mentioned), would Sony/Microsoft likely want to because it's an easier "Why didn't I think of that?" kind of gimmick that actually could improve the gaming experience? Third, with the mention of Apple, HTC, and Samsung, is the angle of the NX actually not THAT different, but it's all about execution, OS, the experience, etc. that Nintendo is going for instead, rather than something totally out of the park/unprecedented?

I'm sure you or anyone else in the know can't really fully say (if they even know right now), but I hope that these trains of thought are vague enough so that (if you could possibly, and wouldn't mind) you could pick one of the three as being most likely as far as you know?

I appreciate it!

3D Land & 3D World (more so the latter) were described a lot as being a 3D Mario game & were mentioned in similar vein to the Galaxy games. They were even developed by the same team who did Galaxy (to my knowledge, but I think this is more of the case with 3D World).

Yeah, but were they? You have to play them to really understand them, regardless of how they're described or sold.

Strictly speaking, not the same teams, but probably the same people (or some of them at least - EAD Tokyo was merged, 1UP introduced etc.).

I am positive.

No i said i have been readding not posting.

I am sorry its no more info.

It is western thats all.

well thanks for posting and saving us from weeks worth of IdeaMan's fun teases :)

these times are fun!

I think it is even more fun that one of our cool leakers sources does not have kits :p
can't really tease what you don't have access to

Seriously?
Just like that?

where have you been? wait until you see the reaction from the blogs and youtube lol

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

What does awesome even mean when you talk about a devkit? The power? The tools? The idea? It has a nice color?

The_Lump

Banned
it's unlikely this studio doesn't have visibility on when they will receive dev kits. If they have no info in January, it means they will receive the dev kit minimum february, right? For the Wii U and other consoles they had some kind of notices before, to prepare their teams, have a secured room to put the dev kit there, etc.

So if a major third-party dev won't have a dev kit until, best case scenario, february 2016, how can they develop an ambitious game leveraging the supposedly capabilities of the hardware & all, in time?

Several possibilities (SPECULATION!):
- My sources are lying to me (unlikely)
- This is real info, and Nintendo plans on launching a Nintendo-titles-driven console, again (not a judgment here)
- This is real info, but the concept of the console (or is it its hardware?) allows for quick development, adaptation of existing games/engines, they could have even started developing on it using Wii U dev kits (i haven't heard about that, from the info i got, it doesn't seem likely though)

That's my theory nowadays. Takeda said something very similar to this in an interview.
Maybe they don't need physical hardware to develop for it?
I think Nintendo has been watching Android/Apple very closely...

What does awesome even mean when you talk about a devkit? The power? The tools? The idea? It has a nice color?

Hey my WiiU is still pretty Awesome

I think the good news is a dev likes working on it?

the good = games

software is what matters

Specs is not something we should put our hopes on for Nintendo

surprises with them come in all flavors good and bad

We don't know, and that's the point.
People expect too much from these 'leaks' and tidbits. They're supposed to be non-specific and vague, because you're hearing them form someone who heard them from someone who's under NDA.

Go with the flow, quit demanding precise details that you'll never get and appreciate that the people who are sharing this info don't want too much fuss. Just calm it down a bit and use what we're given as a discussion point.

Knowing Nintendo, I expect the surprise will be innovation. They did it with DS, they did it with Wii, they (tried) to do it with the Wii U, and NX will be no different I think. Whatever they have planned for the system/control scheme, it will be different and interesting.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Übermatik;191776785 said:
People expect too much from these 'leaks' and tidbits. They're supposed to be non-specific and vague, because you're hearing them form someone who heard them from someone who's under NDA.

Go with the flow, quit demanding precise details that you'll never get and appreciate that the people who are sharing this info don't want too much fuss. Just calm it down a bit and use what we're given as a discussion point.

Knowing Nintendo, I expect the surprise will be innovation. They did it with DS, they did it with Wii, they (tried) to do it with the Wii U, and NX will be no different I think. Whatever they have planned for the system/control scheme, it will be different and interesting.

I can get with the flow when the info comes from someone with some history behind. When someone brand new comes with some very vague statement like "it's awesome" that says nothing about the devkit (especially when the first versions of the devkit are very likely to not even have the final gimmick if there is a gimmick involved) I reserve my right to question the said statement.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I can confirm that what xsapeguy2014 said about the NDA is true. It is indeed very strict (greatly so in comparison to the one that was in place for Wii U). I believe you need to go through a four-step (at least) verification process to even see it.

The_Lump

Banned
Rösti;191777990 said:
I can confirm that what xsapeguy2014 said about the NDA is true. It is indeed very strict (greatly so in comparison to the one that was in place for Wii U). I believe you need to go through a four-step (at least) verification process to even see it.

Juicy...

And not at all surprising considering how WiiU was leaked!

Hermii

I'm not recalling completely, but was the "horribly slow cpu" tweets made before or after the wii u came out? They probably want to avoid a repeat of that again at all cost. I remember Iwata was even asked about those tweets at an investor meeting.

Übermatik;191776785 said:

Go with the flow, quit demanding precise details that you'll never get and appreciate that the people who are sharing this info don't want too much fuss. Just calm it down a bit and use what we're given as a udiscussion point.

I agree completely. Dev X days this but dev Y days that. Lets just appreciate what we get and relax til Nintendo unviels the curtain.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Rösti;191777990 said:

Thanks as always, Rösti.

I think people just need to sit back from the keyboard just calm down abit. This is just a discussion about thoughts on a new console ranging from "stabs in the dark" to "educated guesses". It's all good fun just trying to guess what the unpredictable Nintendo will be up to and that's what makes it fun.

I decided to make a video where for some reason I am fast talking through plenty of ideas and thoughts. You could say it's most educated guesses with a couple areas that we haven't discussed about here yet. Hmmm it's 1:30am here - might need to go to bed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8WY8AeFrHo - Now with Audio

Neoxon

Rösti;191777990 said:
So a new guy really did join GAF & brought us some insight on the NX Platform's development with him. Hopefully his source doesn't end up with outdated info like what happened with Gematsu & Smash 4.

Hermii

So a new guy really did join GAF & brought us some insight on the NX Platform's development with him. Hopefully his source doesn't end up with outdated info like what happened with Gematsu & Smash 4.
Outdated info? How does "it's awesome and will surprise you" get outdated? Those are completely subjective observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom