• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Securities: NX will be unveiled in June and released October-November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrell

Only your opinion, many others, including myself, had sustained fun for months before the Wii U release, thanks to those threads, teases, speculations, etc. This is how it's done since the 80s, baby, you should have seen the endless speculation about the "Project Reality" then "Ultra 64", with several years of fantasies before concrete info. This is better than the actual launch for many of us, deal with it.

OK, if people want the mods to possibly even further restrict our ability to discuss things relating to NX than they are already, I'm not in a position to stop them, but I would hope there would be no belly-aching about when they tighten those thumbscrews because threads like this devolve into insular and jokingly pointless Community-level "discussion".

Aside from that, it's good to see you back. And with unpleasant news, too, so people know you can be more than just an attention-seeking hype junkie that many have previously accused you of being.

I don't want bc either unless its software based.

Those new AMD chips are supposed to have ARM processors built in... Heck, ARM emulators on PC *see bluestacks* work exceedingly well for Android devices... so software or hardware should be totally doable.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
OK, if people want the mods to possibly even further restrict our ability to discuss things relating to NX than they are already, I'm not in a position to stop them, but I would hope there would be no belly-aching about when they tighten those thumbscrews because threads like this devolve into insular and jokingly pointless Community-level "discussion".

Aside from that, it's good to see you back. And with unpleasant news, too, so people know you can be more than just an attention-seeking hype junkie that many have previously accused you of being.

oh c'mon, 4/5 of my messages weren't of that type, and even then, you viewed it that way, for me, it was just having fun, like i had a golden premium cookie and i ate it by little chunk (distillating the info i got) instead of eating everything in 1 sec :p

Anyway!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think the threads are rather closed when there are no new info and the discussion goes in circle with the speculations. So new info is better, no matter how it is wrapped.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Me and Nirolak feared a DoA situation for NX western third party support but this scenario is even worst
They had to change their third party approach anticipating the share of assets and took, easy down their policies, improve their communication and instead...

They changed, for the worst.
Not sharing devkits neither...lol what a monstruosity

Honestly, they deserve to fail at this point.

It doesnt exist a softco able to support and justify a console on its own alone...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
On the other hand, we have John Harker and Matt giving smallish tidbits.

Hmmm. Interesting tidbits all around. I don't see Nintendo launching with software exclusively from Japan.

Yeah. Having John Harker being open about third parties getting a first look to the platform before E3, let alone E3 itself, and him implying a 2016 release makes me think Ubisoft is involved, in some way or another.

Yeah, fuck backwards compatibility. It held the Wii back, it held the Wii U back. It's time for Nintendo to cut the current chain of architecture and start over. In many ways Nintendo need a bit of a fresh start - nothing drastic, but still - scrap the Wii/DS names/marketing, introduce a new brand, begin again with particular franchises.

Although we've enjoyed some fantastic games and interesting tech over the past 10 years, everything's become a bit stale.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Me and Nirolak feared a DoA situation for NX western third party support but this scenario is even worst
They had to change their third party approach anticipating the share of assets and took, easy down their policies, improve their communication and instead...

It doesnt exist a softco able to support and justify a console on its own alone...

There's a brand new Dev Portal indicating how they want to make things far easier for third parties in general though. On that front, they learned the lesson, you can't deny it.

Übermatik;191773001 said:
Yeah, fuck backwards compatibility. It held the Wii back, it held the Wii U back. It's time for Nintendo to cut the current chain of architecture and start over. In many ways Nintendo need a bit of a fresh start - nothing drastic, but still - scrap the Wii/DS names/marketing, introduce a new brand, begin again with particular franchises.

Although we've enjoyed some fantastic games and interesting tech over the past 10 years, everything's become a bit stale.
I want new fonts too. That Wii Sport fonts in every game from mario kart to eshop old lol (yes i know eshop aint a game)

It actually doesn't make sense that Nintendo is ignoring the West.

Square Enix revealed Dragon Quest last summer. So they probably already know some information about release target, devkits, ...
Why would Nintendo reveal that to SE but not to a major Western studio?

Neoxon

Übermatik;191773001 said:

What do you mean by this?

Sandfox

I really doubt Nintendo is going to try and support the NX on their own.

Neoxon

It actually doesn't make sense that Nintendo is ignoring the West.

Square Enix revealed Dragon Quest last summer. So they probably already know some information about release target, devkits, ...
Why would Nintendo reveal that to SE but not to a major Western studio?
My guess, there's more overlap on Square Enix's audience in correlation to Nintendo's than there is for western third parties & Nintendo (again, in terms of audience). On top of that, Cloud in Smash could be interpreted as a signal for a closer relationship between Nintendo & Square Enix.

MrBigBoy

So, Ideaman is French/main language is French. He says a big western studio(developer?) doesn't have a devkit. What studio's are located in French speaking countries? Ubisoft, ... ?

I don't know about that, but Nintendo consoles have been lacking it for such a long time.

I mean I don't mind that much myself cos I don't buy a nintendo console for the third party, I buy it for the nintendo exclusive software, but its not unimportant.
Im not saying it's unimportant but one little thing of no third party people go crazy. And its not just third party its Western 3rd party.

Pif

Banned
honestly, if this dev doesn't have a dev kit, it's extremely unlikely other western dev got it, might be different for japanese dev, considering the old-school-japanese-mindset of nintendo (keeping your assets close, yadda yadda)

What if the big studio doesn't give a fuck about NX and doesn't even bother to ask Nintendo for a devkit?

Neoxon

The only backwards compatibility I expect is the use of the GameCube Adapter on the NX Console for Smash games. Other than that, I don't care.

What do you mean by this?

(I'll get flack for this, but ah well)

Focusing mainly on the Super Mario franchise - the 3/DS/Wii/U series of games (New Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario. Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U, Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World) has run it's course. Yes, most were enjoyable, and the latter few were superb, but the direction needs to change.

No, I'm not asking for Galaxy 3. That's nicely wrapped up too.

If anything, at this point, I'd take another Sunshine-esque title to play, providing it's something fresh.

Yoshi, too, has suffered a similar 'complacency' in game design - past the interesting visual aesthetics of the past 4 or so games, the gameplay remains very much the same. Kirby too, to a degree.

And I know, it looks as if I have something against side-scrollers, but I don't - I have something against repetition, something against formula.

I want new fonts too. That Wii Sport fonts in every game from mario kart to eshop old lol (yes i know eshop aint a game)

Haha, exactly! It seems trivial, but you're right - it's all part of the same aesthetic, the same presentation, and it really carries so much weight.

Pif

Banned
He said that they are interested in developing for NX.

Mmh...

Was Nintendo this sketchy with devkits for the Wii? How does the availability of Wii devkits back in the day, compares to this present NX situation?

The only logical reason I can see right now, is that the concept has such potential that they need to avoid leaking it. But what can be more revolutionary than the wiimote?

LewieP

One of the few things we can be reasonably sure of is that they are going to be abandoning the PowerPC architecture.

It would be madness to use it again.

I don't think this rules out backwards compatibility. I think if Nintendo tasked AMD with developing a solution for switching to ARM but retaining BC with Wii U (and theoretically Wii/Gamecube) software, AMD would probably be up to the task, for the right price.

This solution could take the form of custom silicon primarily focused on good ARM performance, paired with a software based dynamic recompiling solution.

I agree that at this point deciding which architecture to use for NX games should not at all be based around maintaining BC (although I think there was a stronger case for doing this on the Wii and the Wii U), but if they can achieve BC without sticking to PPC, it would be a good idea to do so, given the strength of the Wii U library and the commercial failure of the console.

I think this would only apply to the home console. No way they'd be able to put out a handheld that could achieve compatibility with the Wii U (but maybe the could do with the 3DS & NX handheld).

Mmh...

Was Nintendo this sketchy with devkits for the Wii? How does the availability of Wii devkits back in the day, compares to this present NX situation?

The only logical reason I can see right now, is that the concept has such potential that they need to avoid leaking it. But what can be more revolutionary than the wiimote?

Everyone and their dog got a Wii devkit. There were like 30 launch window games available upon release.

Neoxon

Übermatik;191773563 said:

Focusing mainly on the Super Mario franchise - the 3/DS/Wii/U series of games (New Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario. Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U, Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World) has run it's course. Yes, most were enjoyable, and the latter few were superb, but the direction needs to change.

If anything, at this point, I'd take another Sunshine-esque title to play, providing it's something fresh.

Yoshi, too, has suffered a similar 'complacency' in game design - past the interesting visual aesthetics of the past 4 or so games, the gameplay remains very much the same. Kirby too, to a degree.

And I know, it looks as if I have something against side-scrollers, but I don't - I have something against repetition, something against formula.

Haha, exactly! It seems trivial, but you're right - it's all part of the same aesthetic, the same presentation, and it really carries so much weight.
You realize that 3D Land & 3D World fall under the 3D Mario category (like the Galaxy games, 64, & Sunshine), right?

Pif

Banned
Übermatik;191773683 said:
Everyone and their dog got a Wii devkit. There were like 30 launch window games available upon release.
But the wiimote never got leaked as far as I remember.

Why are they holding devkits so close to their hearts then.

What can the gimmick be???? :0

Übermatik;191773563 said:

You're right it does.. like im playing MK8 and im just like why is this font here? lol. Its a nice font but naw mobe on. Also the controller and button aesthetics need to go too. I swear I see the NX controller and I see the analog with a bald head again ima yell

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't buy the secrecy thing as a reason. Not when it would ruin the commercial aspect of it.

And as someone said before, there is no other console launching any time soon, there's no competition to steal the big secret.

KAL2006

Banned
I want NX to have full 3DS and DS backwards compatability. If they go the ARM architecture route and use cartridges this can happen. For the console NX they need to supply add a small DS bottom touchscreen to the controller.

I think Nintendo can have more successes leveraging from the 3DS and DS than Wii and Wii U. Basically the NX platform more of the next iteration to 3DS than Wii U.

Neoxon

I'm by no means a technical expert, but wouldn't 'absorbing the WiiU architecture' imply some sort of backwards compatibility?
Because it wouldn't necessarily be easy to do without the PowerPC architecture. It likely means something like Nintendo carrying over the Virtual Console games.

Nachtmaer

Those new AMD chips are supposed to have ARM processors built in... Heck, ARM emulators on PC *see bluestacks* work exceedingly well for Android devices... so software or hardware should be totally doable.

You mean those built-in cores for security features or the now canned/delayed K12?

I still wonder what kind of SoC Nintendo are opting for and how AMD is supposed to be involved. Who knows K12 got canceled in order for them to rework it into something suited for the NX given AMD's resources. Or they realised that jumping onto the ARM train while there are giants like Apple, Qualcomm and Samsung who already have the market on lockdown isn't worth it and decided to focus on the semi-custom business instead. It's just speculation as any other, but I wouldn't be surprised if something along those lines were the case.

I want NX to have full 3DS and DS backwards compatability. If they go the ARM architecture route and use cartridges this can happen. For the console NX they need to supply add a small DS bottom touchscreen to the controller.

I think Nintendo can have more successes leveraging from the 3DS and DS than Wii and Wii U. Basically the NX platform more of the next iteration to 3DS than Wii U.
It will be neither.

LewieP

Because it wouldn't necessarily be easy to do without the PowerPC architecture. It likely means something like Nintendo carrying over the Virtual Console games.

If it does not include BC, it could also be things like Miiverse and how it integrates with games, some kind of off-screen play (even if it's only supported via an optional additional controller), the Amiibo integration (which will obviously be in the NX, but it's debatable to what extent Nintendo might consider that part of the Wii U architecture given it is on the 3DS, too).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
You mean those built-in cores for security features or the now canned/delayed K12?

I still wonder what kind of SoC Nintendo are opting for and how AMD is supposed to be involved. Who knows K12 got canceled in order for them to rework it into something suited for the NX given AMD's resources. Or they realised that jumping onto the ARM train while there are giants like Apple, Qualcomm and Samsung who already have the market on lockdown isn't worth it and decided to focus on the semi-custom business instead. It's just speculation as any other, but I wouldn't be surprised if something along those lines were the case.
K12 was not cancelled. Also it was not meant to compete with Samsung, QCOMM or Apple (read: not a mobile chip), but with the likes of Cavium, APM and Broadcom, and last but not least - Intel. Ok, QCOMM did make bold moves recently which would position them head-on against K12.

LewieP

What if you opt in backward compatibility, if the NX concept is based on supplemental computing.

I could see this happening, but it would be a bit messy. Baseline NX home console that just plays NX games via a 3DS style cart slot, and has no DVD drive. They could then also make available a USB disc drive + PPC processor accessory, that you plug into the NX and it lets you play Wii U software.

The main issue with this is that it would be confusing to lots of people, and it would be tricky for them to price such an accessory at an attractive price whilst not making a loss on it. Especially given that the Wii U is already pretty cheap, and will no doubt be even moreso when it's successor is on the market.

Edit: Not to mention the issue of a controller. A reasonable portion of the Wii U library is designed around and requires the Gamepad. Unless they include a controller with a similarly sized screen/resolution in it for the NX, they're going to run into trouble here.

I think the NX controller will have a screen, but probably a smaller one than the Gamepad. Their recent patents for controllers with a screen on hint towards that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom