• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notch's '0x10c' officially dead, but its gameplay could live on

dmr87

Lock if old

A game that takes place in a universe on the brink of extinction is now itself going extinct. 0x10c, a space-exploration game from Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson, won't resume development after all. In April, Persson said he had put the game "on ice" as a result of a "creative block," but indicated that he continued to support the project. Fans remained hopeful until this week, when during a Team Fortress 2 livestream, Persson said he had no future aspirations for the game.

The title of 0x10c refers to a fictional coding error that caused people to fall into a cryogenic sleep for eons. The game begins when they awake, using their spaceships to fight enemies or simply explore the universe. 0x10c has been in development for more than a year, attracting some loyal fans. At one point, Persson live-streamed the game's coding so they could watch it develop.

Fans have expressed a desire to revive 0x10c, but the game they are now working on won't look much like the original. The leader of the effort told US Gamer that the community revival wouldn't use 0x10c's name, code, or original story. But the revival, which the community is calling Project Trillek, will retain the core gameplay from 0x10c. It's not exactly the ending that 0x10c fans were hoping for, but it's possible the spirit of the original game will live on. According to the developers, the revival will be free to play.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/18/4...low-up-0x10c-officially-dead-but-its-gameplay

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Now he fears failure, the mark of a broken man. You gotta just make what is fun, Notch.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That a shame, this game sounded really cool and interesting.

Zomba13

Saw this on Kotaku yesterday. Very disappointed. Was looking forward to this and expected great things. I guess if Notch wants to focus on smaller and simpler games then it's up to him. Guess he doesn't have it in him to make another Minecraft.

Elija2

He'll never be able to top Minecraft, but that doesn't mean he can't try to make smaller indie games. Besides, the Minecraft money is gonna be rolling in for a long time. If he ever runs out of money he could always announce Minecraft 2.

How is Scrolls doing? At least he hasn't abandoned that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not shocked at this news as 0x10c always reeked of an ambition that outmatched the current resources of Mojang.

Even though at this point I still don't know exactly what the game was, I was excited because he said it was inspired by hard sci-fi. We could all use a little more hard sci-fi in any medium.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm sad to hear that, since it was a neat idea, but not one that Notch seemed to ever find workable gameplay for.

I do hope Notch finds something to motivate him, since at one point he said he knew he wouldn't match Minecraft's success again, so he could just experiment with whatever seemed interesting. I think he's been experimenting with Unity lately, but mostly I hope he finds something that makes him want to program again.

Log4Girlz

Unfortunately Notch can no longer create video games. All his offices are completely filled with money which has blocked off everything.

Apath

This is hugely disappointing. I really hope the gameplay does live on. Actually I'm pretty upset over this news.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am also dubious about this notion of the "gameplay" living onwards since we never got one iota of a peek at said gameplay.

Shame, the concept sounded pretty interesting from what I read while following it. The pressure to make a game that would live up to Minecraft probably has weighed Notch down a lot. Plus, he has the money to life off of forever, so he probably doesn't feel obligated to release anything unless it lives up to his standards.

I don't think Notch will ever do another good game. Minecraft was his masterpiece. He can try, but all the other stuff won't ever be a smashing success.

Broank

I kinda figured considering there haven't been any updates for over 9 months...

Glad to hear the revival will still have similarities. The whole concept and the art style were really cool.

He was a guy who created a simple lego/crafting game. I don't understand what people were expecting.
The user-end might be simple but I doubt it was all that simple to create.

I stopped playing Minecraft about the time the otherworld thing was announced but man has it become popular to hate.

Branduil

That's unfortunate, it seemed like a neat idea. I don't understand what kind of writer's block would be so bad to cancel the game, but I guess you can do what you want when you have enough money to last several lifetimes.

Blizzard

Banned
I just listened to the section from the TF2 livestream. Notch basically said "I'm just going to be working on small games for the rest of my life."

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, what a shame, I loved the premise of the game. Wonder what he's working on now.

Elija2

The user-end might be simple but I doubt it was all that simple to create.

I stopped playing Minecraft about the time the otherworld thing was announced but man has it become popular to hate.

Well as time went on they began to add a bunch of dumb or unneccesary features like the villages and "The End". I stopped playing a while ago so I don't know if those were ever fleshed out but it seemed like they just kept adding on random stuff and seeing what sticks. Minecraft is still a brilliant game, but I wonder how much of that brilliance was on accident. I hear Scrolls is good so they've got some skill in game design.

rrs

I haven't touched the minecraft scene in a while, but seriously the game isn't worth more than $15 and this is from someone who bought it back when it was a sandbox with lofty goals.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
He should just give all the code he has for it to the community and see what they come up with. I didn't really care for the gameplay he showed off but I loved the art style and was still impressed that it was done in Java. Put all the code online somewhere, maybe Github or something, and let people turn it into something themselves. I mean look at DOOM and Quake ever since their sourcecodes were released. Never underestimate the power of a determined fanbase.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The whole programming your ship thing sounded really great. I hope a mechanic like that makes it into a game sooner or later.

The drive to create must be kind of hard to find when you're swimming in stacks of cash and swedish supermodels

Bsigg12

It was such an overly ambitious game that I'm not surprised. Some of the mechanics he wanted just seemed insane for one person to be building.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Aw that sucks. It did seem too big for him to complete. After minecraft it seemed like he wanted to do an equally big and ground breaking game that could top its success, and why not? He had all the money and time in the world to do it but that's a recipe for disaster. Hopefully the fan effort can translate the basic concepts into a fun game.

The core of the game was the programmable computer idea. You can program the computer to do whatever in your spaceship. Make a clock, code and play original games, setup your own security system for accessing the computer etc. Whatever a real computer could do. The computer works in conjunction with all of the on board spaceship electronics so you can control the thrusters, air supply, guns, communication etc. With these tools you go around the universe to scavenge more parts to upgrade your ship and computer so you can do more. While adventuring there are other human players doing the exact same thing, so you can fight to see who's setup is better, hack/get hacked, or maybe work together, trade, whatever. This is fucking ambitious and I'd love to play it someday.

jdK8z.png

Hopefully more developers are inspired by this stylized low poly low res texture look. It looks great.

And good luck to Notch in whatever he does next.

Top Bottom