• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notch's '0x10c' officially dead, but its gameplay could live on

Shito

Notch has commented on Twitter about it.

6YpHeO6.png

Sounds like we may hear more about his future creative direction soon.
Damn, he hasn't learned anything from this...
No, you shouldn't write a post about the type of games you want to make in the future, you should be working on games and only speak about them when you are sure you're gonna finish them up and release them!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
No, you shouldn't write a post about the type of games you want to make in the future, you should be working on games and only speak about them when you are sure you're gonna finish them up and release them!
This post is too real.

Its like a studio announcing a prototype. (Capcom did it with a Megaman game and it didnt work too well)

I guess that lots of more experimental prototypes never make it to full games just because they are not fun. This just seems like a normal event than the result of any sort of unusual pressure that Notch might be under. It's unusual how much he shared at a very early stage though I guess.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the DCPU-16 specs, Notch!

I think I can put it to good use. Already did a little 3d graphics engine
for it;

26964501.gif
That looks cool.
Man, I think the next indie wave will be stylized simple 3D and I'm all for it.

As for this news: People see it as some kind f failure that he stopped working on it. Maybe he just has something he's more passionate about that makes more sense for him to make. Dropping projects is a type of freedom a successful artist gains.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I just wish Notch would pull a Valve and buy up the best mods and implement them into the game.

He's got the money, imagine where the game would be today if he would have done that from the start.

I just want a non-Java Minecraft with better mod support that doesn't get broken every freaking update.

missile

That looks cool.
Man, I think the next indie wave will be stylized simple 3D and I'm all for it. ...
Thanks, mate! Same over here! And I tell you what, future graphics will
consist of many, many stylized lines. Arranged rightfully it just looks way
cool.

Pyronite

Oh, come on. That's totally unfair, and counter to the strides we've made with a more open and independent gaming environment.

missile

Sorry, Notch, but that's pretty much ridiculous. You always had the freedom
to do what you are doing. There is no single person on this planet who ever
forced you to do something you don't wanted to do. It's just you who has
decided to do so. Each second, each hour, each day ... you decide what's
happening. It ain't the people out there who make things bad for you, for
your experiments etc. Never was, never will be. You perhaps pay way too much
attention; "... I really really don’t want to turn into another under
delivering visionary game designer. ..."
. And unfortunately, you play that
game pretty well. Nobody cares whether you will turn into another under
delivering visionary game designer. But your ego does, which is the whole
problem, not the press, nor the gamers. If you can put that down, there is
no problem at all. Do whatever game/experiment you want. It's that simple.

Pyronite

Jesus.

The dude explained his thought process and was completely honest. And instead we've got someone here turning it around and calling it an "ego", while making it sound like they've got something to teach him, or something to expect from him, personally.

Come on. It's no wonder nobody wants to expose themselves to the gaming community.

Orbis

I get the feeling something is blocking the right side of your screen.

EDIT: On a more serious note, I see your point, but it's really hard to put yourself in his position given the insane amounts of money Minecraft has made. I can't even begin to imagine how I'd follow it up. I'm easily distracted, and I'd probably end up fleeing game development and tour the world or something.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Aw that sucks. It did seem too big for him to complete. After minecraft it seemed like he wanted to do an equally big and ground breaking game that could top its success, and why not? He had all the money and time in the world to do it but that's a recipe for disaster. Hopefully the fan effort can translate the basic concepts into a fun game.

The core of the game was the programmable computer idea. You can program the computer to do whatever in your spaceship. Make a clock, code and play original games, setup your own security system for accessing the computer etc. Whatever a real computer could do. The computer works in conjunction with all of the on board spaceship electronics so you can control the thrusters, air supply, guns, communication etc. With these tools you go around the universe to scavenge more parts to upgrade your ship and computer so you can do more. While adventuring there are other human players doing the exact same thing, so you can fight to see who's setup is better, hack/get hacked, or maybe work together, trade, whatever. This is fucking ambitious and I'd love to play it someday.

jdK8z.png

Hopefully more developers are inspired by this stylized low poly low res texture look. It looks great.

And good luck to Notch in whatever he does next.
Yeah, this 3D art style almost makes me want to learn Java to create stuff like this, or at least learn how to mimic it in Unity or something. It was images like this that inspired me to try and do something in a 3D project I was working on (Programmed in Löve, which is not optimized at all for 3D calculations) so I created a classic Mac:
3MB GIF incoming: http://i.minus.com/ibaabfhxIEaFMr.gif
(I'm still impressed Java is even capable of doing 3D even as detailed as Minecraft. Shame it look like Greek to me.)

Of course, my method didn't allow for any kind of real-time lighting or anything, so it would have never been nearly as awesome looking. I'm really sad he killed this project. I still say he should release it into the community and let them take over the project and idea.

I mean, just look at this image. It's simple, but detailed. And it looks great. The low resolution computer and its screen, the low polygon count. And the amazing subtle lighting is great.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Sad this is no longer his goal, I was really looking forward to seeing further progress by it.

Shall be interesting to see what the community does with its remains. Gonna miss dat art.

missile

@Orbis and @Pyronite:
I don't meant it in any harmful way. The term ego may sound offending to
many, but anyone who has thought about itself will see the word in a different
light. It's more related to a psychological consideration instead of simply
telling one that (s)he is stupid, selfish, or whatever people make out of it.

charsace

Aw that sucks. It did seem too big for him to complete. After minecraft it seemed like he wanted to do an equally big and ground breaking game that could top its success, and why not? He had all the money and time in the world to do it but that's a recipe for disaster. Hopefully the fan effort can translate the basic concepts into a fun game.

The core of the game was the programmable computer idea. You can program the computer to do whatever in your spaceship. Make a clock, code and play original games, setup your own security system for accessing the computer etc. Whatever a real computer could do. The computer works in conjunction with all of the on board spaceship electronics so you can control the thrusters, air supply, guns, communication etc. With these tools you go around the universe to scavenge more parts to upgrade your ship and computer so you can do more. While adventuring there are other human players doing the exact same thing, so you can fight to see who's setup is better, hack/get hacked, or maybe work together, trade, whatever. This is fucking ambitious and I'd love to play it someday.

jdK8z.png

Hopefully more developers are inspired by this stylized low poly low res texture look. It looks great.

And good luck to Notch in whatever he does next.
The style is lo-fi. It's used a lot more than you would think.

SJRB

Gold Member
@Orbis and @Pyronite:
I don't meant it in any harmful way. The term ego may sound offending to
many, but anyone who has thought about itself will see the word in a different
light. It's more related to a psychological consideration instead of simply
telling one that (s)he is stupid, selfish, or whatever people make out of it.

Why are you cutting your sentences short like that?

Krakn3Dfx

One-hit wonder.

Sadly, I agree. Even Minecraft on the PC is just a disjointed mess now that takes a wing and a prayer to get LAN coop working properly for since he abandoned it to his (lesser?) minions.

But whatever, dude is making bank on his Xbox Exclusive situation that MS continues to moneyhat as their #1 indie title.

2531916-notchfail.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Dude you can do every kind of 3d graphic with every kind of programming language, the fact that minecraft is made in java means nothing.
Oh, I know that. At its heart, 3D is just a lot of math. But I'm just impressed at how fast Java is able to compile and then process all those 3D points every frame, then take the images and morph them to the right shapes and clip stuff that's not supposed to be seen. Not to mention also finding time to calculate all the stuff that happens in every single grid cube every frame. Java just doesn't seem on the surface like it would be that good. But it's impressive. I'm just sad it's Java and I can't understand a lick of it.

Meanwhile I'm over on the 2D Löve side of the fence trying to force 3D into an environment that hasn't been optimized at all for 3D.
inZ6ZdZ8V2x3h.gif

Hell, I've even done 3D in QuickBASIC. Yeah, sure, I could easily install Unity and not have to screw around with the 3D stuff, but where's the fun in that? I have since also put this project on the shelf.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Yeah, this 3D art style almost makes me want to learn Java to create stuff like this, or at least learn how to mimic it in Unity or something. It was images like this that inspired me to try and do something in a 3D project I was working on (Programmed in Löve, which is not optimized at all for 3D calculations) so I created a classic Mac:
3MB GIF incoming: http://i.minus.com/ibaabfhxIEaFMr.gif
(I'm still impressed Java is even capable of doing 3D even as detailed as Minecraft. Shame it look like Greek to me.)

Of course, my method didn't allow for any kind of real-time lighting or anything, so it would have never been nearly as awesome looking. I'm really sad he killed this project. I still say he should release it into the community and let them take over the project and idea.

I mean, just look at this image. It's simple, but detailed. And it looks great. The low resolution computer and its screen, the low polygon count. And the amazing subtle lighting is great.
Great job! Even getting that far is impressive. I was inspired by Minecraft to try to make games in Game Maker, it's a lot simpler there, though I only did 2D projects. I kind of lost steam to continue but I always have ideas kicking around in my head. Maybe someday I'll try my hand at 3D!

The style is lo-fi. It's used a lot more than you would think.
Yeah I see a lot of it in the indie threads.

To the haters, yes I know that's roughly how older games used to look. It's been out of style (lol incoming "it was improve on" yeah yeah) for so long it can be considered a creative choice to go that route now. It's now a unique look.

ArjanN

Now he fears failure, the mark of a broken man. You gotta just make what is fun, Notch.

This. Trying to match Minecraft's success is a fool's errand.

Which is what makes it such a bummer to play it so safe.

Also this. I figured getting basically infinite money would free him up to do whatever he wants to do and not have to care if's a commercial success at all.

MasonOfWords

Neo Member
Exactly my thoughts.

I was skeptical to begin with, as I'm not sure it's ever been proven that he had the creative talent to match up with some of the other prominent indie developers out there.

Precisely. Minecraft was an Infiniminer clone, which he wanted to use to make a 3D Dwarf Fortress. When it turned out to be *really hard* to approach the scope of Dwarf Fortress, it just sort of settled into its current half-game, half-sandbox form.

No one can argue against the success of Minecraft or the effort put into its implementation, but it is not a great example of creative and original design.

I don't want to come off as flippant or even a jackass to this latest bit of the Notch situation as the dude seems to be genuinely struggling internally with it all, but I've got to ask:

What precisely is stopping the man from simply, as has long been done in other creative circles historically, adopting a pseudonym or 3 and cracking out with wild abandon every which way he fancies, going into whatever details as these Pseudos, then just keep a subdued/mysterious primary Notch profile? Pull some sort of Bruce Wayne Gaming Philanthropist / Batman random game dev scurrier even.

It isn't a common thing that people have this particular problem, but is HAS been a thing in the past and historically this is one of the better ways of at least trying to get a handle on it versus internalizing too much and risking a break down.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Hey at least he canceled it instead of dumbing it down while still hyping it and releasing a Molyneaux game

bengraven

Guy's been kind of emotionally damaged the last year, I predicted this will happen.

Just hang out and do some jams and see the world and do what you want. Or pull a Rowling and submit shit under a different username.

I literally just read about this after a random Wikipedia checkup on 0x10c's progress.

Damn it, Notch :/ Guess I'll have to make due with that Terraria dev's space game, or StarMade, or something.

eot

Banned
Maybe he should just release games under a pseudonym instead.

Oh, I know that. At its heart, 3D is just a lot of math. But I'm just impressed at how fast Java is able to compile and then process all those 3D points every frame, then take the images and morph them to the right shapes and clip stuff that's not supposed to be seen. Not to mention also finding time to calculate all the stuff that happens in every single grid cube every frame. Java just doesn't seem on the surface like it would be that good. But it's impressive. I'm just sad it's Java and I can't understand a lick of it.

Computers are fast, Java is slow.

CTLance

Would have made a great side dish to (FTL, ) Star Ctitzen, Limit Theory and X Rebirth.

Shame. Oh well. I agree, if he's still invested in writing games he should do it under a different name. Too much pressure rests on "Minecraft!!!!" notch.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Computers are fast, Java is slow.
At least Java is fast enough to render something as complex as Minecraft fast enough to be tolerable. No where near what Unity can do, but it's still impressively fast. Impressively fast enough to make me wish Löve was as impressively fast as Java or even capable of the same stuff.

Curious question: Would Unity be capable of handling Minecraft? Like if MC were built from the ground up to the exact spot it is now, would it be able to be done in Unity? Is Unity scriptable enough to do it exactly the same? From the world complexity to the world save formats to the chunk-based environments. Obviously there's a reason Notch prefers to use Java for all his 3D and 2D projects. But hypothetically.

Stimpack

Shouldn't worry so much about what people think, or how your games will be received. He has enough money now that it doesn't matter if the game is a failure. There are no guaranteed successes, and if that's the only way he'll release a game, then obviously he needs to think things through a bit.

Sounds like Minecraft's success damaged him.
But what a shame, I loved the concept and art of this game.
His quote "I just want to experiment and develop and think and tinker and tweak." sounds like a perfect fit for this type of game.

Top Bottom