• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2013 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 9

MOPP 4

Banned
tumblr_mf2jhgU4uF1rlyx97o1_500.gif

Need dem numbers.

ajjow

Just for the joke..

PS4 ------> 1.2 million
X1 --------> 970k
Wii u ------> 190k
Nintendo 3ds ------> 930k
PS Vita -------> 110k
PS3 -----> 560k
Xbox360 --------> 650k

Bruno MB

Lots of anticipation for today's NPD numbers, still 75 minutes left. I wonder if Microsoft will publish their numbers, maybe they can spin things if Microsoft family outsells the competition xD

ajjow

PS4 ------> 1.2 million
X1 --------> 970k
Wii u ------> 190k
Nintendo 3ds ------> 930k
PS Vita -------> 110k
PS3 -----> 560k
Xbox360 --------> 650k

I don't want to be a party-pooper, but are NPD reports as important as everyone is making out?

I thought a lot of sites stopped using them because they don't track some major retailers (i.e Walmart) and digital sales?

I don't want to be a party-pooper, but are NPD reports as important as everyone is making out?

I thought a lot of sites stopped using them because they don't track some major retailers (i.e Walmart) and digital sales?
Well this one won't really tell us much in the next gen console wars other than PS4 and XBOne sold all the units they shipped and still nobody wants the Wii U. It'll be like that for a while. I guess we'll see just how many got shipped though.

See this:

Every major retailer / 90%-95% of the retail video game market is directly tracked. Only 5%-10% of sales are projections.

NPD is also in the planning stages for full-scale, comprehensive digital sales tracking.

Their physical retail tracking service is useful for companies / manufacturers to track total physical sell-through. It's completely trusted and extraordinarily comprehensive...and it has a monopoly over the market.

I'm not even sure Xbox family would be enough. Sony could use a "family" one as well as an individual PS4 number

The 360 probably outsold the PS3 + vita combined, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the "MS family" line to prevent a black eye if the numbers were too far behind ps4.

NPD track 90 - 95% of all retail in the US for videogame sales

And predicts the other 5 - 10 %

They used to not track Amazon, walmart or Toy's r us but now track at least Amazon and Walmart not sure on Toys r us

GulAtiCa

They track Walmart now. And what sites don't use NPD? I thought most do? Really, it's the only source of sales for US we get outside of numbers direct from publishers.

The 360 probably outsold the PS3 + vita combined, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the "MS family" line to prevent a black eye if the numbers were too far behind ps4.

I did ask 360+XB1 vs PS3/4 for that reason, we know MS ignores handhelds :p

See this:

NPD is also in the planning stages for full-scale, comprehensive digital sales tracking.

Their physical retail tracking service is useful for companies / manufacturers to track total physical sell-through. It's completely trusted and extraordinarily comprehensive...and it has a monopoly over the market.

why is Japan the only place with multiple trackers

The last of us bundle seemed popular (anecdotal). Did 360 have an equivalent bundle? Assuming PS4 has a couple hundred k gap on XB1, plus 100k vita boost, it may be tough for 360 to be 300k or more greater than PS3. Maybe if you don't count vita and go with dedicated consoles.

The last of us bundle seemed popular (anecdotal). Did 360 have an equivalent bundle? Assuming PS4 has a couple hundred k gap on XB1, plus 100k vita boost, it may be tough for 360 to be 300k or more greater than PS3. Maybe if you don't count vita and go with dedicated consoles.

$99 360 and MS ignores handhelds, just see all the "best selling console" PR statements when 3DS>360

Krilekk

Banned
Lots of anticipation for today's NPD numbers, still 75 minutes left. I wonder if Microsoft will publish their numbers, maybe they can spin things if Microsoft family outsells the competition xD

Microsoft might talk about overall revenue on Xbox platform. They should easily win that statistic.

It's up now...we're just waiting for general PR, Microsoft PR, Nintendo PR, and maybe Sony PR if we're lucky.

We should get all of that by 6:30 PM EST.

11,000 viewing for numbers LOL

We can't speak about the madness about to come. Biggest topics:

1)Xbone versus PS4

2)What did Nintendo Wii U actually sell(since 3DS/2DS is a foregone conclusion)

I'm confident Wii U sold "decent" but I'm prepared if it didnt :(

It's a very weird situation...there are three trackers (Dengeki, Famitsu, and Media Create), but two of those trackers (Dengeki + Famitsu) are owned by the same corporation.

So really, it's Kadokawa Corporation vs. Media Create Co., Ltd. in terms of ownership.

two is still greater than one >_>

oh yeah other thing, why are European numbers almost impossible to find

Road

Today, people are anxious for hardware sales.

Digital sales are irrelevant in this context.

Wow, thanks guys! I've never really cared about videogame sales until now, just absorbed bits here and there through lurking.

They track Walmart now. And what sites don't use NPD? I thought most do? Really, it's the only source of sales for US we get outside of numbers direct from publishers.

I saw that Gamasutra used to post their reports until 2011. Reading that announcement now shows they themselves believe NPD reports are a lot more authoritative for hardware sales than software sales, at least until NPD get a comprehensive digital sales tracker.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Today, people are anxious for hardware sales.

Digital sales are irrelevant in this context.

One day, thanks to 3D printers, we'll download hardware as well, and then digital sales will be ALWAYS relevant in every context. One day, my friend. One day.

We always see predicitons for every console, and then you go back through the old results threads and you never actually see the data. Why is this?

For example, in the October thread, we only see hardware numbers for 2 consoles. Aren't these predicions kind of silly if we can't even compare them to the real numbers?

One day, thanks to 3D printers, we'll download hardware as well, and then digital sales will be ALWAYS relevant in every context. One day, my friend. One day.

That would be goddamn awesome, but if it ever happens it'll be several decades from now. :(

Did anyone guess on software this month? Are we expecting any next gen exclusive games in the combined sku top 10?

Obviously we'll see the PS4/Xbone skus of BF, COD, NBA 2k, Madden, Assassins Creed, and maybe FIFA in the lists.

If Mario was in the range of 400-500k it could possibly, right? Will gta5 and Minecraft still chart?
We always see predicitons for every console, and then you go back through the old results threads and you never actually see the data. Why is this?

For example, in the October thread, we only see hardware numbers for 2 consoles. Aren't these predicions kind of silly if we can't even compare them to the real numbers?

We never get official results for hardware from npd directly anymore, they usually are provided by a hardware manufacturer when it suits them, or a percentage up/down in a release from someone like Pachter, or unofficial (but accurate) leaks from gaf posters.

Check the first post of every prediction thread. The OP (donny2112) does a good job of collecting all of the relevant GAF estimates / leaks for hardware sales so we can refer to the previous month when making predictions.

Sometimes they can be a bit off, but they can also be quite accurate.

B.O.O.M

well creamsugar usually provides a range or something

allan-bh

We know the other numbers, but they can't be shown on the first page.

Top Bottom