• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2013 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 9

So close it hurts. :/

Second time I've been a runner-up for a contest here (The other was for the election predictions last year), ahh well.

Congrats to 1st Course though, you know your stuff.

wait, one person picked it all correctly?
(it was Aaron Strife wasn't it)

HOW?

A lot of us got it right, it came down to a tie-breaker over the margin of victory and it went back and forth for a while until the final results in California were certified.

As for the other guy, if I remember right he made some sort of insane prediction like 2 million for 3DS and several other systems over 1 million, I knew he was going to be positioned where he is, haha.

DaBoss

I do not mean this in a rude way, but is that a record for the highest number in units? And what is the record for the opposite end of the spectrum.

A lot of us got it right, it came down to a tie-breaker over the margin of victory and it went back and forth for a while until the final results in California were certified.

"ok Cali, keep piling on to Obama's MoV"
"no no stop giving him a bigger lead!"

:p

I do not mean this in a rude way, but is that a record for the highest number in units? And what is the record for the opposite end of the spectrum.

my December NPD predictions:

Wii U-9,999,999
going for the record!

115 for units* and 37 for points. Ouch, I think I have Rankings whiplash. At least I'm still at 21 for the year.

*I waaay overshot the PS4 figures, accounting for about half of the units alone.

donny2112

Thank you, as usual, donny2112. Your service to the community is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

How do points work?

I'm 30th overall but number 8 in points?

There's a link in the OP, but the basics of it is that each system can have up to x points (16.6667 this month), and how much you get of that depends on how close you are %-wise to the real total, maxing out at 100% off. Therefore, being off by 500K on a 2m system gives you as many points as being off 50K on a 200K system. Relative loseness matters instead of just raw # of units. (Especially poignant this month with WiU selling around 200,000 and PS4 selling over 1m.)

On top of that, there's bonus points for getting the order of the systems correct and then based on your ranking in the Top 10 in the Unit totals.

Well, according to that 25K Vita estimate for last month...

Yep, using 25K for Vita last month. Hmmm.
:)

Jonsoncao

Banned
I was doing great in 2009 and 2010, falling hard in 2011, climbing back in 2012, hopefully will finish top 10 this year. And as always thank donny2112 for the kindness.

Lumyst

62nd place! At least I wasn't in last place, that's all that matters (sorry Duxxy3). What I learned is that Nintendo has to come up with something concerning its handheld business in the future (of course, perhaps they have bigger fish to fry, but the next iteration of their handheld will come sooner than WiiU's successor...ideally.) And of course, I learned that NPD = US, but I was thinking about NA when I used Sony's PR statement. This was a special NPD prediction thread for new hardware launches, so I took part this one time. So my overall takeaway is...Nintendo
is doomed
has GOT to do something to change its fortunes in the West. People are justifiably concerned about Nintendo's fate.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I was 331,000 off...too bad I didn't make the deadline! This month is going to be wildly unpredictable for me.

Ugh. Really embarrassing position. 3DS is the big disappointment here, although I really overshot 360 as well. I didn't expect Xbone to get that close to PS4. I thought I was already being pessimistic with my Vita, and it still only managed to halve it...

I though this month would get me kicked out of the overall top 10, but everybody doing terribly actually raised me. Yay?

Normal schedule would have it on the 16th, right?

Here's a historical record of NPD thread creation times:

(01-11-2007, 06:47 PM) - December 2006 (2nd Thursday)
(01-17-2008, 06:44 PM) - December 2007 (3rd Thursday)
(01-15-2009, 06:48 PM) - December 2008 (3rd Thursday)
(01-14-2010, 06:35 PM) - December 2009 (2nd Thursday)
(01-13-2011, 06:33 PM) - December 2010 (2nd Thursday)
(01-12-2012, 06:34 PM) - December 2011 (2nd Thursday)
(01-10-2013, 06:32 PM) - December 2012 (2nd Thursday)

As you can see, the trend for the past four January releases is to release on the 2nd Thursday of the month. This number has been decreasing every year. The question is whether NPD will jump to the 3rd Thursday of the month like they did in 2007, or whether they will continue on the 2nd Thursday trend.

January 9th - 2nd Thursday
January 16th - 3rd Thursday

Personally I agree with you...I believe that NPD will release it on the 16th as well. But as I said, we'll know something a little more concrete in a few days.

Here's a historical record of NPD thread creation times:

(01-11-2007, 06:47 PM) - December 2006 (2nd Thursday)
(01-17-2008, 06:44 PM) - December 2007 (3rd Thursday)
(01-15-2009, 06:48 PM) - December 2008 (3rd Thursday)
(01-14-2010, 06:35 PM) - December 2009 (2nd Thursday)
(01-13-2011, 06:33 PM) - December 2010 (2nd Thursday)
(01-12-2012, 06:34 PM) - December 2011 (2nd Thursday)
(01-10-2013, 06:32 PM) - December 2012 (2nd Thursday)

As you can see, the trend for the past four January releases is to release on the 2nd Thursday of the month. This number has been decreasing every year. The question is whether NPD will jump to the 3rd Thursday of the month like they did in 2007, or whether they will continue on the 2nd Thursday trend.

January 9th - 2nd Thursday
January 16th - 3rd Thursday

Personally I agree with you...I believe that NPD will release it on the 16th as well. But as I said, we'll know something a little more concrete in a few days.

That's because the retail calendar was steadily moving sooner because of accumulated extra days. However, last year, they padded January by an extra week, which means the calendar is offset once again. NPD covers December 1 - January 4 this month, so the numbers shouldn't be revealed until the 16th.

DaBoss

It should be the 16th because I swear I remember something about NPD info being released on the Thursday on the week which has the second Monday of the month, which is the 13th of January.

It's been a few days. I now have reason to believe that NPD will be released Thursday, January 16th after market close. Don't take this comment as absolute confirmation of anything, but I'm very confident about that date now.

I apologize for the earlier confusion I introduced by my "January 9th or 16th" comment.

jvm

Gamasutra.
It's been a few days. I now have reason to believe that NPD will be released Thursday, January 16th after market close. Don't take this comment as absolute confirmation of anything, but I'm very confident about that date now.

I apologize for the earlier confusion I introduced by my "January 9th or 16th" comment.
Both Michael Pachter (Wedbush) and Michael Olson (Piper Jaffray) said in notes today that they expect the results on the 16th (i.e. two weeks from today).

donny2112

Didn't NPD always used to be the 2nd Thursday of the month?

Or did I just imagine it.

2nd Thursday after the end of the reporting period. Most months have the end of the reporting period prior to the 1st Thursday of the next month, which would make it equivalent to what you said. It's just not always that case. 2nd Thursday after the end of the reporting period (Jan. 4 for Dec-2013) is the normal release date, though.

Top Bottom