• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 8th

RexNovis

Banned
It's doing fine. The PS4 is over the Xbox 360 and it'll be comfortably be over it at the end of the year.

Jan: 360 - 294k | PS4 - 189k
Feb: 360 - 228k | PS4 - 342k
Mar: 360 - 199k | PS4 - 340k
Apr: 360 - 174k | PS4 - 174k
May: 360 - 155k | PS4 - 152k
Jun: 360 - 198k | PS4 - 365k
Jul: 360 - 170k | PS4 - 218k
Aug: 360 - 277k | PS4 - 209k
Sep: 360 - 528k | PS4 - 354k
Oct: 360 - 366k | PS4 - 275k
Nov: 360 - 770k | PS4 - ???
Dec: 360 - 1260k | PS4 - ???

Thank you Welfare. Much appreciated. Hopefully we can put this whole worse than the 360 nonsense to bed now. Cheers man!

RexNovis

Banned
Well, well, well.

acyDwFj.png

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/670747742424072192

Are you for real Chobel? He is sourcing some random dude tweeting at TimDog for crying out loud.

Javin98

Banned
Are you for real Chobel? He is sourcing some random dude tweeting at TimDog for crying out loud.
Calm down, man, Chobel didn't even say that this evidence that the XB1 was the best selling console during BF. He just posted this tweet for gags because we were waiting for PR. Unless Chobel had some hidden motive I didn't realize... :p

Fat4all

Banned
Last months sales thread was such a depressing read. Disappointment all around and very little solid information. I was on vacation and I remember glancing on my phone and seeing the mess go down.

1376350204667.gif

Tubie

Last months sales thread was such a depressing read. Disappointment all around and very little solid information. I was on vacation and I remember glancing on my phone and seeing the mess go down.

1376350204667.gif

We probably had the most solid info we've had in an NPD thread in a very very long time.

Abdiel

The Best Buy / Infoscout thread has been really interesting to see other employees talking about their stores. Sounds like some of the other districts got absolutely cleaned out of the PS4 bundles... I'm definitely curious now. Going to be seeing if I can get some time to poke around in our inventory system on my next closing shift.

Rymuth

The Best Buy / Infoscout thread has been really interesting to see other employees talking about their stores. Sounds like some of the other districts got absolutely cleaned out of the PS4 bundles... I'm definitely curious now. Going to be seeing if I can get some time to poke around in our inventory system on my next closing shift.
That one Before&After set caused quite a reaction.

eFKac

Was the PS4 shipment big/standard? Still only the 299 Uncharted bundle selling out, or the rest now as well?

Abdiel

Was the PS4 shipment big/standard? Still only the 299 Uncharted bundle selling out, or the rest now as well?

Nah, it's definitely only the Uncharted bundles with that kind of momentum, at least for our stores... I didn't ask the other guy about the battlefront ones, but for us, those face the same problems as the more expensive XB1 bundles on this weekend. Price consciousness is at an all time high on BF weekend.

And they sent us a lot of the Uncharted bundles in the week leading up to this point, so they stocked us nicely for the weekend.

eFKac

Nah, it's definitely only the Uncharted bundles with that kind of momentum, at least for our stores... I didn't ask the other guy about the battlefront ones, but for us, those face the same problems as the more expensive XB1 bundles on this weekend. Price consciousness is at an all time high on BF weekend.

And they sent us a lot of the Uncharted bundles in the week leading up to this point, so they stocked us nicely for the weekend.

Cool, appriciate the update Abdiel!

Aceofspades

Banned
So when i said XBO is going to win because Sony got complacent, people ridiculed me..

tough days for speaking truth j/k

Don't get ahead of yourself.

Also Sony got complacent? really? they are selling twice as much as Xbox. how did you come up with this?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I can't stand him. He's one of the worse people working in the industry. Cocky as hell when it's going their way but quiet as hell when it's not. Oh the other guy I can't stand is major Nelson. Good god ms get rid of them and get some better people.
Fire people because you can't stand them?
There are bigger issues than a game console's firm employees that you should be concerned about involving this line of thinking.

donny2112

Fire people because you can't stand them?
There are bigger issues than a game console's firm employees that you should be concerned about involving this line of thinking.

I don't agree they should be fired, but when your job involves relationships with the public and you are unlikable/abrasive...well.

RexNovis

Banned
Was just about to post this. How are Abobe for predictions? Given PS4 is also on the list.

Results are vague and only relayed to online sales. While the data is valid it doesn't really tell us much of anything in the big picture of BF sales.

Welfare

...because I know everyone loves a graph...

To add context to that graph, the Xbox 360 received its first price cut(s) in August.

$20 price drop on the "Core" SKU ($279)
$50 price drop on the 20GB SKU ($349)
$20 price drop on the 120GB SKU ($449)

RexNovis

Banned

...because I know everyone loves a graph...

A graph showing sales totals over the course of the year would be more useful given the variables between the two in a month to month basis.

To add context to that graph, the Xbox 360 received its first price cut(s) in August.

$20 price drop on the "Core" SKU ($279)
$50 price drop on the 20GB SKU ($349)
$20 price drop on the 120GB SKU ($449)

Wasn't this also the September that Halo 3 launched? Which would explain the massive boost in sales for September.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have no idea what I just read. What on earth are you trying to get at? Are you trying to say the deals weren't good enough? Just because MS went bundle crazy last year in order to hold on to a semblance of relevance in their primary market dies not mean that is suddenly the status quo of what to expect from here on.

Agreed. It does possibly bite them in the ass this year though. 12 months later and their offering is arguably less value for money than 2014. Can see them being down YoY

Bruno MB

I can't feel the hype since this year has been a big let down for the retail video game industry. For every month hardware sales outperformed our expectations, there were many months that failed to meet them. I don't expect things to change in the last 2 months of the year.

Anyway, home console hardware sales should be up over last year if only because PlayStation 4 had a terrible November where it only sold 826,000 systems.

[3DS] 435,000
[PS4] 1,090,000
[WIU] 270,000
[XB1] 1,175,000

Agreed. It does possibly bite them in the ass this year though. 12 months later and their offering is arguably less value for money than 2014. Can see them being down YoY

Even if they are, I think there's no denying it kept them in the race this year, especially when you look at how badly they're doing everywhere else in the world, and the poor performance of their big exclussives.

Last year put them back in the public consciousness, and that momentum seems to be the only thing to have carried them past lower specs, fewer games, and a 'greatest ever holiday lineup' that had all the appeal of a damp fart at a baby shower.

So I traded in my white Destiny PS4 and got the NDC from GameStop (1200 model, they gave me 200 for my old PS4, traded a terrible used controller and got new one with console and the game has value for me). Originally I was going to get the COD Bundle because 1 TB.

I live on Oahu. We have about 16 Gamestops. I did an online search and found most were sold out of the BO3 bundle. However Schofield Barracks Gamestop said in stock so I went there, and literally the person in front of me in line got the last one. Now it says only 2 gamestops on the island have it in stock, one is way over on the Marine Corp base and one is in one of the malls.

Its seems at this point on the NDC (massive shipements) and BF Bundles can be found easily. Either way I am glad in retrospect it was sold out. NDC for 300 was such a good deal. I traded in a few games and only ended up paying like 60 bucks. Which to me was well worth it for what I stated above.

Javin98

Banned
So when i said XBO is going to win because Sony got complacent, people ridiculed me..

tough days for speaking truth j/k
Tell me again how this shows Microsoft is winning Black Friday. Nintendo can also release the exact same PR statement and it wouldn't mean jackshit, unless you think the Wii U won. Also, here you go again with the "Sony got complacent" crap. That bingo sheet is looking better and better.

FranXico

Tell me again how this shows Microsoft is winning Black Friday. Nintendo can also release the exact same PR statement and it wouldn't mean jackshit, unless you think the Wii U won. Also, here you go again with the "Sony got complacent" crap. That bingo sheet is looking better and better.

Because a price drop is a display of complacency.

Because a price drop is a display of complacency.
No, no. Concentrate.
The price drop is desperation because they are down YOY.
Having no exclusives for holiday season is complacency.

Sony just does not understand the US market. That's why they fail so hard this gen.

Top Bottom