• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that it's over, who do you think won E3 2021?

Who won E3 2021?

• Total voters

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
giphy.gif

Shitty virtual annual show. MS might have won by default, with a quite good show (not even great, let alone amazing), followed closely by a reserved Nintendo. The remainder is puke...

Last edited:

blacktout

Probably close between Xbox and Nintendo, but I would give the edge to Xbox. I think Nintendo suffered a bit from the weight of expectations and the sheer number of in development or rumored titles that didn't show. Also, while they showed a huge number of first party games and have a really diverse and stacked lineup for the rest of the year, they somehow failed to show any of the stuff I was most hopeful for (Donkey Kong, 3D Kirby, 3D Mario, Xenoblade/New Monolith IP, Bayonetta 3). It's awesome that Metroid Dread is finally happening, but the visual style is ... eh. I'm also not a big party game or strategy game fan, so I don't have the nostalgia for Mario Party, Warioware, and Advance Wars that a lot of people do. What they showed of BotW2 was cool, but I feel like they withheld a lot of information and now it's pretty clear that it's a holiday 2022 title.

That said, it's sweet that Fatal Frame is finally coming over, and SMT V looks amazing. I have a lot of nostalgia for the Cruis'n series, so it's cool that it's finally coming to Switch. And the Switch's 2022 is going to be amazing, between BotW2, finally getting an open world Pokemon game, and Splatoon 3. Definitely think this year (and last) got hit hard by COVID. Oh well.

Xbox is obviously feeling the COVID pain too, but they still have two major holiday titles (Halo, Forza). Could see a different person giving Nintendo an edge based on the sheer number and range of announcements though. *shrug*

Mr Moose

I watched 3 of them.
Ubisoft, Xbox and Square.
Ubisofts show was shit.
Xbox show was solid, great pacing with not a lot of talking until the Horizon part, though they showed a lot of stuff we'd already seen (old games, Far Cry and stuff) and had no megatons it was still a good show overall especially when compared to their last few E3s.
Square-Enix showed a PS3 game in 2021. Shit. I like the look of the True Colours game.

So of the 3 I watched, the Xbox show was by far the best of them.

//DEVIL//

It's not over though, Microsoft is showing more on the 17th. That being said I personally liked the Nintendo Direct if anything for Metroid Dread. BotW 2 is looking good as well. Microsoft and the gamepass lineup for the rest of the year is looking fantastic.
They are not . It’s just behind the scene and interviews with developers . Expect nothing because even then you will get disappointed

I honestly gave up on a wow e3 moments . Sony is stupid woke and MS can’t deliver for shit. Thank god they got playground studio otherwise this would have been a total F for them .
Multiplayer Halo because you are afraid to show single player ? What kind of a chicken wuss are you ?

Xbox and it isn’t close. I know Nintendo fans are happy for Metroid and Zelda but for non Nintendo fans it was a run of the mill direct. I think Xbox’s show will win many many new fans over.

e&e

Banned
Nintendo had more coming out that interest me this year, Xbox not so much but they gave me GamePass! Sony is a F until I get to play Forbidden West!

SJRB

Gold Member
Honestly the Elden Ring trailer was by far the best thing to come out of this whole ordeal and that was during SGF which isn't even an official part of E3.

This entire E3 was whack. Nobody won.

Gediminas

Banned
Xbox won with the show worth 5/10, that's simple because every other show was even worst. But if somebody happy to win Worst E3 of all time, good for them.

Fatal Frame is coming to XOne/Ps4 and XSX/PS5, that hurts Nintendo's showing a bit since people were screaming about it as a Nintendo exclusive earlier.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm a Metroid junkie. So, Nintendo for me..

I think they were hurt by the expectations, most of which were totally bad intentioned IMO.

evanft

Xbox had a good show if you contextualize as a show for Game Pass, not Xbox or Microsoft game studios. Most of what has me excited from their presentation are third party games coming to GP, not new titles being developed internally. We also didn't get much that was new, and what was new was underwhelming to say the least.

Nintendo didn't have quantity, but they certainly had quality. Metroid Dread is a big fucking deal for me, as is a new Advance Wars. A release date for SMTV was kind of a shock as well considering that game has been floating out in the ether with little to no updates for seemingly forever.

anthony2690

Banned
It wasn't even close, not that it is a competition.

I do think corona has effected everyone quite severely and I think we saw that last year with Microsofts show with the amount of cgi we got etc.
But they more than made up for it this year.

But I think we saw the impacts it had on other companies more this year.

Last edited:

Kilau

I vote Xbox because they showed more of what I’m interested in but Nintendo had good stuff too.

Still a strange year, it doesn’t feel like E3 has actually happened.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It was hard to choose between CHAOS and Take2's stunning and brave diversity show so I went with Xbox simply because they had an outstanding show with tons of games I want to play all on Game Pass Day 1.

Nintendo came in 2nd because, hallelujah we finally got a BotW 2 teaser

kyussman

I guess Sony did tbh because I'm still hyped about what they have to show in the near future....having seen what others have it all left me a bit cold.

LRKD

Fatal Frame is coming to XOne/Ps4 and XSX/PS5, that hurts Nintendo's showing a bit since people were screaming about it as a Nintendo exclusive earlier.
Woah, that's big news. Nintendo should still co-own the rights to Fatal Frame, I guess that means Nintendo care so little about the ip that they're letting it go multiplat like The Wonderful 101?

Hopefully means it'll be uncensored though since I don't think Nintendo will want PS or Xbox players to be playing with the Samus suit...

MiguelItUp

Honestly, even though it personally didn't blow me away, Microsoft. I mean, they definitely showe a few things I'm interested in, but even the titles I wasn't into I could tell they were still good titles. Not to mention there was a lot there, with little talking, and it all kept going. I think the biggest and most impressive thing was the Game Pass flex. I've said it before, and will continue to. Game Pass is outstanding, and honestly one of the smartest things Microsoft could've done to pull them out of the trenches they were in with the previous gen.

Nintendo was probably second for me. Some cool announcements, and some cool footage as well!

Everything else was... pretty ho-hum, which is honestly what I was expecting. I mean, yeah E3 is back, but that doesn't change the development woes that have gone on with COVID, etc.

I will say Capcom and Square surprised me with how little they did and showed, it almost felt pointless.

I wonder how Gamescom will pan out.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
From what I saw, Xbox. But given the competition... thats not saying much.

Still way too heavy a reliance on CG trailers.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Intellivision Amico. At least no one has expected anything from them, everything was new and unexpected, everything was a surprise. And the new Earthworm Jim could be their killer app.

Top Bottom