• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that SF4 age is over, who was the best SF4 player?

Vex_

Banned
It's still daigo.

He was the king for far too long. Across numerous tourneys. Not just evo or capcom cups.

naw

Sakonoko was the greatest winner of them all. #Ibuki
CSsdFUZUsAA3CxT.jpg
he fathered all your favorite players

Fr0stbyte

I was hoping Infiltration could go further than he did to close the book on this discussion but, Daigo is the best SF4 and Street Fighter player in general. He will always be dangerous as long as he has a fireball and a dp. Truly #gdlk.

crash-14

Justin Wong would probably be up there too over the entire lifespan of the game.

I wouldn't put Justin cuz he was good when there was "no competition" (Like Ricky). When more people started to attend EVO from overseas and people started to poop off in the states he's been pretty much washed up despite the fact he has managed to sneak in capcom cup.

BizzyBum

Gotta be Daigo.

He was untouchable the first few years the game came out. If you have time, YouTube some of his Vanilla and Super matches. Simply godlike.

I'm not saying anything new, but again it's Daigo. He's been at or near the top for the entire duration of this series. Nobody else can make that claim or has been so dominant that they can overshadow his 6 years at the top.

Some will say Infiltration but he was only dominant for one year and didn't even win a stacked Premier event this year which Daigo accomplished twice. Guys like him or Xian belong up there with Daigo as well, but Daigo edges out them all considering his dominance and longevity.

So many great players of this generation. It's amazing. Competition is super tight and there's hardly any dominance.

I'd say my top 3 in, no particular order, is Daigo, Infiltration and Xian.

Xeteh

Aside from Daigo I gotta pick Infiltration. Dude has 2398 different pocket characters, I'd be scared if he devoted all of that knowledge to a single character. 2spooky.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Justin Wong would probably be up there too over the entire lifespan of the game.

0-2 at two consecutive Capcom Cups, hasn't been seen in an EVO top 8 for SF4 since its very first year on consoles, yet people still act like he's relevant.

if we are talking throughout SF4 lifespan then the answers are easy

1) Daigo
2) Tokido

from like 3-7 its momochi, fuudo, mago, bonchan and something like that

Infiltration is not on this list as he only came in the scene around 2012, while the rest have been easily top 8 in majority of tournament they attend since 2009.

For American players its Justin Wong easily. Nowadays everybody just remembers Wongs recent lack of wins. 2009-2012 Justin Wong was destroying in most American tournaments. Yeah Wolfrone had a year where he was untouchable but that was just one year.

Snakeyes rise came after 2012 (IIRC), and same with Smug.

For EU its easily Ryan Hart. Ryan Hart dominated SF4 european scene for so long since the game came out.

edit
I would also add dieminion and Pr Rog for American. I would argue Rog over Wong now that I think about it easily.

edit 2

If we're talking about current strength I would go

top 5 in no specific order
1) Daigo
2) Kaz
3) Momochi
4) Infiltration
5) Tokido

I want to add bonchan, but I think all the above names are more...consistent? Bonchan has had really bad luck when it comes to large international tournaments.

If EVO is the ultimate measuring stick, nobody comes close to Daigo, even Infiltration.

Daigo placed top-10 at 5 out of the 7 EVOs to feature SFIV.

crash-14

if we are talking throughout SF4 lifespan then the answers are easy

1) Daigo
2) Tokido

from like 3-7 its momochi, fuudo, mago, bonchan and something like that

Infiltration is not on this list as he only came in the scene around 2012, while the rest have been easily top 8 in majority of tournament they attend since 2009.

For American players its Justin Wong easily. Nowadays everybody just remembers Wongs recent lack of wins. 2009-2012 Justin Wong was destroying in most American tournaments. Yeah Wolfrone had a year where he was untouchable but that was just one year.

Snakeyes rise came after 2012 (IIRC), and same with Smug.

For EU its easily Ryan Hart. Ryan Hart dominated SF4 european scene for so long since the game came out.

edit
I would also add dieminion and Pr Rog for American. I would argue Rog over Wong now that I think about it easily.

Infil didn't came out until 201 but he made top 3 at EVO 2010 and won many dreamhacks...

Ryan Hart could be 2nd, but since Rose came into SF, Luffy has been dominating the scene with him. Since 2013 (Yeah before Luffy's victory at EVO) that the french raised on top of everyone.

Sixfortyfive

Put it this way, Daigo has double the amount of championships that Infiltration has.

From long-obsolete versions of the game that the players never truly mastered in the first place.

When judging the best of the game, I think you kind of have to take into account that the skill level at the tail end is considerably higher than it was at the start.

0-2 at two consecutive Capcom Cups, hasn't been seen in an EVO top 8 for SF4 since its very first year on consoles, yet people still act like he's relevant.

Did you read the question I was replying to? Who's a better western player over the entire 7 years the game has been released? Luffy? That I can agree with. Who else? I can think of a few arguments but nobody really stands out as an obvious choice.

Daigo. I would have given it to Infiltration had he won this tournament. I felt like Daigo was arguably top 3 in every year of SF4. Maybe top 5 in 1 or two years. Nobody else had that.

Dahbomb

Top 4 are Daigo, Infiltration, Xian and Momochi

Momochi has won an EVO and a Capcom Cup. So has Infiltration.

Xian has won EVO and has gotten top 3 at Capcom Cup 3 times.

Daigo has won EVO twice but no Capcom Cups. Got top 2 twice in it.

If someone help a gun to my head and asked me the best among these 4 I would probably choose Daigo for the entire span of SF4 across all versions.

Sixfortyfive

Did you read the question I was replying to? Who's a better western player over the entire 7 years the game has been released? Luffy? That I can agree with. Who else? I can think of a few arguments but nobody really stands out as an obvious choice.

In America alone, I'd put Dieminion, PR Rog, and Snake Eyes over Justin. Maybe NuckleDu as well.

Don't really feel qualified to comment on Europe one way or another.

Daigo , momochi and infiltration. I hope sfv can be as hype and big as sfiv and bring in many new talents like sfiv did. And I hope we see some old faces return for one last go at SF like kuroda.

XenoRaven

Man this is hard, but I'm going to try to make a list.

1. Infiltration
2. Momochi
3. Daigo
4. Kazunoko
5. Xian

As much as I love Daigo, I've never seen a player be as purely dominant as Infiltration was when he was on his reign of terror. The guy was completely untouchable for a couple years, and is still very dangerous.

Top Bottom