• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD April 2022 - PS5 rev #1, Switch unit #1, Lego #1 this month and #2 ytd

reksveks

GEkTUlx.jpg

Credit to SoonyXboneUh on ibf

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Xbox Series has generated the highest hardware dollars of any platform year-to-date, followed by PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch.

So that implies more Series X's have been sold this year than Series S's, cause it wouldn't have been the top dollar generator with the $299 console.

edit: Yes I realize this doesn't necessarily mean *more* SX have been sold, but it implies a healthy number have been sold to have generated a high dollar amount.

Last edited:
Looks like I have to get that LEGO game, it's absolutely beasting the charts. First month and it's already #6 on the 12 month chart.

Elden Ring outselling Call of Duty is also wild.

Very good hold for Kirby, #4 despite not including digital.

Console sales seem to be very close this month, PS5 #1 in revenue but #3 in units kinda implies close to parity.

reksveks

These console growth predictions from analyst's seem a bit off unless there is massive increases in stock.

Software rev and DLC isn't supporting that prediction.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Can someone tell me where Horizon and GT7 charted last month.

Id also like to know where they ended up this month. Has he released the top 20 chart yet? MLB typically cleans up in April.

Woopah

For Switch to have passed PS4 it must be around 35 million or so.

Also The Show did not chart on Switch in its launch month, but did on its second month. I was not expecting that. It might be further evidence that Switch games sell differently to other platforms.

SlimySnake

Frankly it looks like GT7's bad publicity is hurting sales.
?? It's still in the top 10 in its second month. Thats not bad at all.
Forza Horizon 5 went from 4th to 15th in its second month.

I would wait for the 25th before wondering that.
What happens on the the 25th?

SlimySnake

Can someone help me do that math here? Sony's quarterly reports said that they sold 14.5 million first game games in the first three months of the year.

That means GOW PC, Horizon, GT7 all sold a combined 14.5 million minus whatever Spiderman Miles, Ratchet, Demon Souls, Returnal and Uncharted 4 PS5 remaster sold which im assuming is not much.

We know from Steam numbers, GOW was around 2 million units. That brings us down to 12.5 million for everything else. Assuming Miles, Ratchet, DS, Returnal and Uncharted 4 remaster sold 2.5 million combined, we are looking at HFW and GT7 splitting the last 10 million. Thats really not that bad.

GT Sports was a slow seller. I believe it recently hit 14 million players despite selling relatively slowly out of the box. I just dont get why Sony is being secretive about these sales numbers.

arvfab

Banned
Can someone help me do that math here? Sony's quarterly reports said that they sold 14.5 million first game games in the first three months of the year.

That means GOW PC, Horizon, GT7 all sold a combined 14.5 million minus whatever Spiderman Miles, Ratchet, Demon Souls, Returnal and Uncharted 4 PS5 remaster sold which im assuming is not much.

We know from Steam numbers, GOW was around 2 million units. That brings us down to 12.5 million for everything else. Assuming Miles, Ratchet, DS, Returnal and Uncharted 4 remaster sold 2.5 million combined, we are looking at HFW and GT7 splitting the last 10 million. Thats really not that bad.

GT Sports was a slow seller. I believe it recently hit 14 million players despite selling relatively slowly out of the box. I just dont get why Sony is being secretive about these sales numbers.

I guess The Show counts too.

Three

Console sales seem to be very close this month, PS5 #1 in revenue but #3 in units kinda implies close to parity.
What gives you the idea that it's #3 in units? Has that been confirmed somewhere?

Spiderman has good (actually, great) legs. Horizon and GT7 having good legs is yet to be seen. Legs are long term (6+ months).
Horizon and GT7 have great legs so far I'm not sure why you keep trying to suggest they don't and some other regulars trying yo say they have been completely forgotten. They are both top ten still on a single platform 3 months on. What games did that except Nintendos?

SlimySnake

I guess The Show counts too.
Oh wow. Google said MLB launched on April 5th. Had no idea it charted at 4 last month.

Well it typically sells around 1 million in the first month. Probably 1.5 million now that its on Xbox. Still, you are looking at 8 million split between GT7 and HFW.

Unless those other games i mentioned are selling better.

So that implies more Series X's have been sold this year than Series S's, cause it wouldn't have been the top dollar generator with the $299 console.

Not necessarily; there were months Series just outright outsold PS5 in unit volumes, too, and Series S would've had a role to play in that. Though since Series X supply increased earlier this year, that would've contributed as well.

Good to see Xbox continuing to sell well in the US. Hopefully a strong showcase in June continues that momentum.

Well the delay news yesterday has kind of put a major dent in that, for me personally.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Like someone said.....seems like MS is leaning heavily on the Series S if PS5 was 3rd in units but 1 in dollar sales.....

Well, for April its not the case at least.
What gives you the idea that it's #3 in units? Has that been confirmed somewhere?

Horizon and GT7 have great legs so far I'm not sure why you keep trying to suggest they don't and some other regulars trying yo say they have been completely forgotten. They are both top ten still on a single platform 3 months on. What games did that except Nintendos?
I am gonna assume its #3 in units until stated other wise.

But...I remember a similar argument last month and it was revealed that Xbos Series was #1 in units too, or higher than expected, cant remember now.

So, who knows. All I know is the PS5 console drought is damn near over. If MS couldn't take advantage of it to close the gap....I dont think it will ever close it.

Last edited:
Elden Ring is a monster. Goodness gracious.

Anywhere between 20 and 30 million copies sold when the dust settles, I think. No wonder Kadokawa has decided to use its own IPs to make videogames and cut publishers from the chain, though I am a bit worried about what that might imply for FS, going forward. 🤔

kyliethicc

The 14.5 million for 1st party is for all games on PS4/5. Not just new/recent releases.

Its literally every game sold during Jan-Mar on PS4/5 published by SIE.

If someone bought a copy of Knack or The Order 1886 last quarter, it’s in that 14.5 mil figure.

PC ports are not included in this figure.

Last edited:

skit_data

Anywhere between 20 and 30 million copies sold when the dust settles, I think. No wonder Kadokawa has decided to use its own IPs to make videogames and cut publishers from the chain, though I am a bit worried about what that might imply for FS, going forward. 🤔
What do you mean? Bandai Namco is the publisher?

reksveks

?? It's still in the top 10 in its second month. Thats not bad at all.
Forza Horizon 5 went from 4th to 15th in its second month.

What happens on the the 25th?
Sony business segment updates, Jim Ryan is speaking around 9am jst about SIE.

johnjohn

Not necessarily; there were months Series just outright outsold PS5 in unit volumes, too, and Series S would've had a role to play in that. Though since Series X supply increased earlier this year, that would've contributed as well.

Well the delay news yesterday has kind of put a major dent in that, for me personally.
I'm sure a lot of people feel that way, but a good show can change that. Good gameplay showings for Starfield and Redfall will reignite the hype, and they obviously have a lot more than that to show that can create some good hype.

johnjohn

Like someone said.....seems like MS is leaning heavily on the Series S if PS5 was 3rd in units but 1 in dollar sales.....

Well, for April its not the case at least.

I am gonna assume its #3 in units until stated other wise.

But...I remember a similar argument last month and it was revealed that Xbos Series was #1 in units too, or higher than expected, cant remember now.

So, who knows. All I know is the PS5 console drought is damn near over. If MS couldn't take advantage of it to close the gap....I dont think it will ever close it.
Worldwide there was next to zero chance for Xbox to close the gap, in the US though they seem to be on their way to taking the lead again like they did with the 360.

I'm sure a lot of people feel that way, but a good show can change that. Good gameplay showings for Starfield and Redfall will reignite the hype, and they obviously have a lot more than that to show that can create some good hype.

Personally I just don't see the point in deep dive gameplay segments for either when the earliest they're coming is H1 2023. Especially in the case of Starfield, since they've already set a precedent of regular updates; if they do a deep dive this June, they'll have to regularly post more and more gameplay between then and launch, which could be as late as June 2023 (unless it slips into H2 2023).

They may end up with too much gameplay out there prior to release, dulling some of the hype (I feel like they did this accidentally with Forza Horizon 5, actually).

Three

How would you reach that conclusion though? not necessarily and I would say not likely either. It was leading in units and you have no unit values. They can be dollar sales YTD with units YTD.

johnjohn

Personally I just don't see the point in deep dive gameplay segments for either when the earliest they're coming is H1 2023. Especially in the case of Starfield, since they've already set a precedent of regular updates; if they do a deep dive this June, they'll have to regularly post more and more gameplay between then and launch, which could be as late as June 2023 (unless it slips into H2 2023).

They may end up with too much gameplay out there prior to release, dulling some of the hype (I feel like they did this accidentally with Forza Horizon 5, actually).
They don't need to do a deep dive here, people just want to see how the game is going to look and play. A short gameplay trailer or demo (it needs to be more than a teaser, but doesn't need to be a full blown walkthrough) that showcases some of the diverse locations and maybe even revealing manual space flight would be exciting. They just need to show people that the wait for the game will be worth it.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
JIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Please spend less time on email and focusing on delivering PS5!!!

They don't need to do a deep dive here, people just want to see how the game is going to look and play. A short gameplay trailer or demo (it needs to be more than a teaser, but doesn't need to be a full blown walkthrough) that showcases some of the diverse locations and maybe even revealing manual space flight would be exciting. They just need to show people that the wait for the game will be worth it.

Yeah it needs to be something like a two-minute uninterrupted gameplay segment for both games. No intercuts with CG cutscenes, no distracting "trailer music", no MTV-style glitz and glamour editing. Just let the games speak for themselves for a few minutes, with epic gameplay segments.

And for goodness sake they better not be another Halo Infinite 2020 showing 🤣

Top Bottom