• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD April 2022 - PS5 rev #1, Switch unit #1, Lego #1 this month and #2 ytd

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The 14.5 million for 1st party is for all games on PS4/5. Not just new/recent releases.

Its literally every game sold during Jan-Mar on PS4/5 published by SIE.

If someone bought a copy of Knack or The Order 1886 last quarter, it’s in that 14.5 mil figure.

PC ports are not included in this figure.
So what you're saying The Order 1866 and Knack sold a combined 14.5m copies in the last quarter
ps4 knack GIF

arvfab

Banned
I'm sure a lot of people feel that way, but a good show can change that. Good gameplay showings for Starfield and Redfall will reignite the hype, and they obviously have a lot more than that to show that can create some good hype.

I'm sorry to say that, but it sounds like the "wait for E3" we have been hearing for over a decade. With the difference in the name this time, of course.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The 14.5 million for 1st party is for all games on PS4/5. Not just new/recent releases.

Its literally every game sold during Jan-Mar on PS4/5 published by SIE.

If someone bought a copy of Knack or The Order 1886 last quarter, it’s in that 14.5 mil figure.

PC ports are not included in this figure.
yeah, but how many of those games sell every quarter? Returnal, Ratchet and Demon Souls basically fell off the charts immediately after launch. Demon Souls limped to 1.2 million units in a year worldwide. Returnal 500k in its first 4 months. We got 1 million figure for Ratchet in July but nothing since. I highly doubt these games are selling by the millions. maybe 100k each in the three month period.

I didnt know GOW wasnt included. Thats even better news for HFW and GT7 because that means 2 million it sold on Steam is added back to 14.5 million of first party games sold. Both games have shown good legs in NPD and on UK charts. I thought the game flopped or sold less than the original's 2.7 million figure with the way people were talking about it here.

Didnt GT Sports have a player tracker for GT Sports? How comes no one made one for GT7?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How would you reach that conclusion though? not necessarily and I would say not likely either. It was leading in units and you have no unit values. They can be dollar sales YTD with units YTD.

When I read dollar generated, my brain, like most people I would assume, thinks of the amount accumulated from retail sale. And a $499 console generates a lot more than a $299 console.

Series S is probably what keeps them ahead this year but it looks/feels like a very healthy amount of SX also sold thanks to the massive drop they had in March/April.

Jaybe

Interesting to compare PlayStation top 10 vs Xbox top 10.
4 CODs on Xbox’s list. Nobody buying The Show, obviously Game Pass impacts that but still you’d think enough some would buy it to beat BOps 3. In fact, 4 key sports games in PS list vs just FIFA on Xbox. EA is only in the GPU tier of game pass.

phm4fIq.jpg

Last edited:

johnjohn

I'm sorry to say that, but it sounds like the "wait for E3" we have been hearing for over a decade. With the difference in the name this time, of course.
Well we're less than a month away, so not much longer now! But yea, typically you need to wait to E3 to find out what the next year is going to look like, that's how it has always been. Sony is in the same position right now with no games dated.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

yeah, but how many of those games sell every quarter? Returnal, Ratchet and Demon Souls basically fell off the charts immediately after launch. Demon Souls limped to 1.2 million units in a year worldwide. Returnal 500k in its first 4 months. We got 1 million figure for Ratchet in July but nothing since. I highly doubt these games are selling by the millions. maybe 100k each in the three month period.

I didnt know GOW wasnt included. Thats even better news for HFW and GT7 because that means 2 million it sold on Steam is added back to 14.5 million of first party games sold. Both games have shown good legs in NPD and on UK charts. I thought the game flopped or sold less than the original's 2.7 million figure with the way people were talking about it here.

Didnt GT Sports have a player tracker for GT Sports? How comes no one made one for GT7?
I just mean it’s basically impossible to determine exact sales for any 1 game from that reported number.

But yeah in general, the higher total it is each quarter means the new releases (that chart) each sold a decent chunk.

Well we're less than a month away, so not much longer now! But yea, typically you need to wait to E3 to find out what the next year is going to look like, that's how it has always been. Sony is in the same position right now with no games dated.
Sony is not in the same position dude. Sony has been releasing major first party games reliably for years at this point.

John Wick

Can someone help me do that math here? Sony's quarterly reports said that they sold 14.5 million first game games in the first three months of the year.

That means GOW PC, Horizon, GT7 all sold a combined 14.5 million minus whatever Spiderman Miles, Ratchet, Demon Souls, Returnal and Uncharted 4 PS5 remaster sold which im assuming is not much.

We know from Steam numbers, GOW was around 2 million units. That brings us down to 12.5 million for everything else. Assuming Miles, Ratchet, DS, Returnal and Uncharted 4 remaster sold 2.5 million combined, we are looking at HFW and GT7 splitting the last 10 million. Thats really not that bad.

GT Sports was a slow seller. I believe it recently hit 14 million players despite selling relatively slowly out of the box. I just dont get why Sony is being secretive about these sales numbers.
GT games always keep trucking along. Also aren't they much better sellers in Europe?

SlimySnake

I just mean it’s basically impossible to determine exact sales for any 1 game from that reported number.
I understand, just trying to get some estimates. To me 14.5 million first party sales is a pretty amazing number even if HFW and GT7 didnt sell well. That shows their games have great legs.

Goalus

So that implies more Series X's have been sold this year than Series S's, cause it wouldn't have been the top dollar generator with the $299 console.
It is also mighty impressive because there definitely ARE Series S consoles among the ones that generated these record-breaking dollar sales.
Xbox is on fire :messenger_fire:

adamsapple

I feel like maybe my post wasn't worded properly.

Yes, most likely a higher number of SS have sold over the whole year, but the fact that it has the highest dollar generated means a very healthy amount of SX have been sold as well, likely all the stocks they could dump out, to have generated that dollar amount.

adamsapple

4 CODs on Xbox’s list. Nobody buying The Show, obviously Game Pass impacts that but still you’d think enough some would buy it to beat BOps 3. In fact, 4 key sports games in PS list vs just FIFA on Xbox. EA is only in the GPU tier of game pass.

phm4fIq.jpg

Halo and Forza still charting in the top 10s despite being on game pass.

And folks keep wrongfully assuming those games don't sell at retail cause of that association.

I don't know if I'd be to hopeful about Forespoken, that game has managed to look worse every time they've shown it.
There's also Final Fantasy XVI. I mean...if somehow they manage to delay God of War, Final Fantasy XVI and Forspoken to 2023 then god helps us all, but specially my wallet.

johnjohn

Who cares? Sony doesn't need games dated. They've been releasing games! Microsoft hasn't.
MS actually won publisher of the year last year, they're having a drought now just like Sony did the second half of last year. Bottom line is both Xbox and PlayStation have to show what they having coming because so far the second half the the year is looking anemic from both of them.

kyliethicc

I understand, just trying to get some estimates. To me 14.5 million first party sales is a pretty amazing number even if HFW and GT7 didnt sell well. That shows their games have great legs.
Indeed.

In the quarter than TLOU2 came out in, it was like 18.5 million. Only other new release that quarter was Predator Hunting Grounds lol. Like Ghost wasn’t until the following quarter. MLB 20 was the previous quarter, etc.

johnjohn

There's also Final Fantasy XVI. I mean...if somehow they manage to delay God of War, Final Fantasy XVI and Forspoken to 2023 then god helps us all, but specially my wallet.
Xbox has Scorn dated for October, Stalker 2 dated for December, and some good looking indies dated for this year too. It's yet to be seen if those hit, but it's Xbox's and PlayStation's first parties that we're waiting for. I'm very interested to see some new IPs from PlayStation, because so far its been all sequels to games that didn't interest me (aside from GoW) in the PS4 gen.

Last edited:

skit_data

And yet here we are with no upcoming games dated.
Calm down, Sony usually do their info dumps once a year and just like MS they might have something dropping right out of the blue like Forza Horizon 5 did last year. Demon’s Souls and Miles Morales wasn’t revealed until June the same year they launched. If their shows go by and we don’t see anything about any games releasing in the 2nd half of the year that’s when I’d start to worry.

Same goes for Xbox btw, I think it’s entirely possible they announce something in June that will launch this year as well.

arvfab

Banned

And folks keep wrongfully assuming those games don't sell at retail cause of that association.

One could argue that without Gamepass, those games would have been higher than 8th and 5th in the Xbox only chart and maybe even appear in the overall top 20, like for example Miles Morales, which regularly rejoins the list.

johnjohn

Calm down, Sony usually do their info dumps once a year and just like MS they might have something dropping right out of the blue like Forza Horizon 5 did last year. Demon’s Souls and Miles Morales wasn’t revealed until June the same year they launched. If their shows go by and we don’t see anything about any games releasing in the 2nd half of the year that’s when I’d start to worry.

Same goes for Xbox btw, I think it’s entirely possible they announce something in June that will launch this year as well.
Yea, that's what I've been saying. You're replying to the wrong person.

SlimySnake

Thats the xbox only chart.

On the overall charts, Halo failed to chart in the top 20 last year. Forza came in right at the 20th mark.

Both entered the charts at number 2, but failed to sell enough copies overall. MLB the Show outsold both Forza and Halo and thats a baseball game where its digital sales on Xbox werent even included. They were outsold by Miles Morales in its SECOND year. They were outsold by Back4Blood a massive flop. And Mortal Kombat, a 3 year old game.

And yet Xbox announced 20 million users for both Forza and Halo. So clearly these games are being played by a record number of players, just not selling all that well.

FJY8hp5UUAEnhMX.jpg:large

SlimySnake

I think Sony launches TLOU 2 Factions bundled with the TLOU remake while XBox goes with Forza 8. It was originally announced as a 2022 title I believe, but we havent seen anything since. The only thing that gives me pause is that it was announced as being in early pre-production. Can they go from that to full production and release in 2 years?

adamsapple

And yet Xbox announced 20 million users for both Forza and Halo. So clearly these games are being played by a record number of players, just not selling all that well.

Why not both. We already know Forza had 1 million+ paying pre orders before the game even came out, MS isn't usually in the habit of releasing sales numbers for a very long well documented while now.

Even these NPD numbers aren't from MS officially.

But looking at the charts, we can at least very safely say that Xbox owners are buying them, along with playing them on Game Pass as well.

phm4fIq.jpg
Xbox is 90% digital and The Show doesn't include Xbox digital sales on NPD.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Hardware revenue is barely even relevant for MS/Sony since it doesn't represent profit. A weird stat for anyone following sales to care about.

(I think the obsession w/ sales in general is a bit odd, but it does increase a userbase which means more platform support so it makes at least SOME sense, revenue? who gives a shit, don't even think Sony/MS care outside of pumping a number up while not increasing profit margin)

assurdum

Banned
Those seem to be the facts. XSS is the reason why Xbox is ahead of PS5 YTD.

How else would Series be ahead of PS5 in terms of dollar sales year to date? Series X is hard to find just like PS5. Series S is the only one regularly available.
So wait a second, the console which has more stock sell less than the other one supply constrained? And from what I have understood ps5 is ahead to both console in dollars units sales this month. Shouldnt Series S generate more hardware dollars units during this year? At least using the logic.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
So wait a second, the console which has more stock sell less than the other one supply constrained? And from what I have understood ps5 is ahead to both console in dollars units sales this month.
It's long been established on NeoGAF that the only reason people buy XSS is because they don't want it. They're forced to buy it because they can't find PS5 or XSX. So it makes sense that it's selling more. Nobody wants it and/or they have stupid grandparents.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
It's long been established on NeoGAF that the only reason people buy XSS is because they don't want it. They're forced to buy it because they can't find PS5 or XSX. So it makes sense that it's selling more. Nobody wants it and/or they have stupid grandparents.
If I can say I expect the xbox not supply constrained places more units than the other one. At least in US. Call me crazy.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Personally I just don't see the point in deep dive gameplay segments for either when the earliest they're coming is H1 2023. Especially in the case of Starfield, since they've already set a precedent of regular updates; if they do a deep dive this June, they'll have to regularly post more and more gameplay between then and launch, which could be as late as June 2023 (unless it slips into H2 2023).

They may end up with too much gameplay out there prior to release, dulling some of the hype (I feel like they did this accidentally with Forza Horizon 5, actually).

We got gameplay for Elden Ring 8 months to release. Got gameplay for GOW Ragnarok with what looks to be one year (at least) to release. Got a gameplay deep dive to Horizon Forbidden West May 27th 2021 for a game that released Feb 2022.

None of those had the hype dulled.

Starfield is planned as a massive open world RPG. Showing multiple gameplay snippets won’t be an issue at all.

This forum has been vocal in complaining about a lack of Starfield gameplay even when it was thought to be over a year out, so I find your post surprising.

You’ve been waiting for a decade to see Starfield gameplay?

Top Bottom