• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2019 Game Sales - Mario and Crash dominate like its the 90s.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
June
D_yp39FU8AABS8l.jpg:large

2019 Year to Date
D_yp79WVUAAOdy5.jpg:large

Other Tidbits, per Mike Piscatella:

- Spiderman PS4 is the best selling superhero game in US history.
- Kingdom Hearts 3 is the best selling game in franchise history.
- Mortal Kombat 11 has already surpased MK9 lifetime sales and remains the best selling game of 2019.
- Best selling game for each platform individually in June was
Xbox: Mortal Kombat 11
PS4: Crash Team Racing
Switch: Mario Maker 2
3DS: Persona Q2

Fake

Crash keep crashing. Good results for CTR.

Kingdom Hearts 3 too. Please release the DLC already. Open your damn heart.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I find it silly that people think Mario Maker has closed the door on future 2D Mario games. Those games have legs. Nintendo is going to keep making them.
I am one of the people who believe that to be the case, not because the games don't sell, but because Nintendo seems resistant to giving that series any resources. 🤷‍♀️

I'd rejoice if one day Nintendo proved me wrong with a modern revamp of SMB that doesn't default to the same boring NSMB graphics, the same 8 "elemental" worlds (instead of a proper exploration of a Kingdom), and wahh wahhh midi-quality music.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I find it silly that people think Mario Maker has closed the door on future 2D Mario games. Those games have legs. Nintendo is going to keep making them.

Nintendo doesn't want to make 2D Mario games, at least from the creative side. That's why they created Mario Maker, so they could dump the work onto the players. "Here, kid, make yer own damn Mario game. I gotta take a nap."

iconmaster

Banned
I am one of the people who believe that to be the case, not because the games don't sell, but because Nintendo seems resistant to giving that series any resources.
Nintendo doesn't want to make 2D Mario games, at least from the creative side.

The most recent NSMB just came out six months ago. Yeah, it was a re-release but it offered some new content. It's a bit soon to say Nintendo is done with the series -- especially since the game is still hitting the top 20.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nintendo doesn't want to make 2D Mario games, at least from the creative side. That's why they created Mario Maker, so they could dump the work onto the players. "Here, kid, make yer own damn Mario game. I gotta take a nap."
Yeah. I think it's the right way to go.

If they are to continue the 2D Mario franchise they're gonna have to re-invent it.

Fake

I’m glad Kingdom Hearts III sold well, I know most people here like to shit on it but I personally enjoyed my time with it and definitely looking forward to the DLC.
Not me of course. Its kinda understand some people because was not a easy job to get that plot. And I hope the DLC come with some patch fix for that 30 stable mode.
Still, only what I ask is a 358/2 remake.

KINGMOKU

I'm starting to really believe that the switch will end up being the best selling piece of Nintendo hardware ever, or number 2 right behind the DS.(I orginally thought it would end up in the 80-90million range)

The new 200$ skew is going to absolutely sell boatloads.

It really is in it's own market almost.

CJY

Banned
Crash Remastered and CTR Remastered both being 30fps on consoles breaks my heart. Waiting for the re-remaster next gen.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What do you mean?

It shows that people still want simple entertainment for their gaming dollar, not explorations of serious issues or meta-commentary on the contemporary socio-political scene.

Despite how hard the media is pushing people towards "wokeness", simple escapism is what sells, perhaps now more so than for quite some time.

petran79

Banned
It shows that people still want simple entertainment for their gaming dollar, not explorations of serious issues or meta-commentary on the contemporary socio-political scene.

Despite how hard the media is pushing people towards "wokeness", simple escapism is what sells, perhaps now more so than for quite some time.

True wokeness would show the middle finger to that media and those video games. This is how counter-culture works

Geki-D

Banned

I thought MK11 was apparently SJW-pandering trash, though?

Saber

Gold Member
Crash is doing pretty well, I'm glad for it.
But to think Mario Maker 2 would be at the top and beat a multiplatf? Surprises me so many people like this types of game. Must be a hellah of fun.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I thought MK11 was apparently SJW-pandering trash, though?

Its still a fighting gaming primarily differentiated by ultra-gory kill moves! Showing less skin is a sop for sure, but its a smart way to take any heat off the visceral splatter that's been the series mainstay from day#1.

Geki-D

Banned
Its still a fighting gaming primarily differentiated by ultra-gory kill moves! Showing less skin is a sop for sure, but its a smart way to take any heat off the visceral splatter that's been the series mainstay from day#1.
You're just special pleading for MK11 because if it had been a FPS or a TPS or a platformer, you could just say: "It's still a (FPS/TPS/platformer/etc...) gaming primarily differentiated by (standout gameplay feature)!". No matter how much "wokness" was in it. A game would have to have no gameplay in it to not fall under this special pleading.

Going off what's been said about it, MK11 is one of the most "woke" games to come out recently, woke enough to get review bombed for it. Yet it's selling gangbusters, "SJW tampering" and all.

If anything it shows that people don't care about reactionary outrage.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

You are chasing a boogyman. Only a few people in the media actually want politics in "ALL" their games. Most want a mixture and there's nothing wrong with that. There's politics in the lastest Spiderman game and did you see how much it sold last year?

Top Bottom