• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 outsold Street Fighter V on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welfare

EDIT: It appears that an extra SKU of Street Fighter V was not counted! With it, SFV does in fact outsell Naruto on the PS4 If a mod could change the title to reflect this, please do so!

http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/10/n...-4-outsold-street-fighter-v-on-playstation-4/

Publisher Bandai Namco’s PlayStation 4 version of Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 sold better than the PS4 release of Street Fighter V in February, according to industry-tracking firm The NPD Group. Sony never revealed the details of its deal with Capcom, but it’s clear that it spent money on marketing and events like the Street Fighter tournament at the PlayStation Experience. In exchange, the brawler is only coming to PS4 and PC — so no Xbox One version. But despite that promotion and the Xbox One exclusion, Street Fighter V was not able to finish its first month on the market as the top-selling PS4 game.

“Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 was the top-selling game on a SKU basis with its PS4 version,” NPD analyst Liam Callahan said in a statement provided to GamesBeat.

Naruto was HUGE back in the mid-late 2000s but I always thought it kinda died off. That's really surprising to hear that it still has momentum, and ESPECIALLY that it beat Street Fighter. And on PS4 alone, before even counting the XB1 version... whoof.

I wonder how much of it is due to these games. There seems to be a fairly sizable audience that doesn't care too much for Naruto as an anime or manga but eat up the Storm games.

Capcom should've waited until June when the game was fully complete instead of rushing it out of the door with less content all because of trying to get it out in time for fighting game tournaments.

That's what killed the sales for the game. Nobody's fault but their own.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's not so much that Naruto sold great, it's more that SFV sold so poor. I was surprised. Even digitally, that PSN list was damning. Firewatch smoked SFV.

NPD kicking Capcom while they're down. I expect Namco to come through any minute and pee on an unconscious Capcom at this point.
Capcom should've waited until June when the game was fully complete instead of rushing it out of the door with less content all because of a tournament.

Yeah, it needed until April or June. I mean, they could have released the game in April and still made SFV the headliner at EVO.

cordy

Banned
Dawg, I had to bring up SFV's sales in the official SFV thread since I didn't see anything about it. I think this needs to be talked about. As for Naruto outselling it...so? I'm not surprised tbh, Naruto is FAR bigger than people give it credit for and it's an amazing game. I've been with the series since 2002 so I'm not shocked.

I will say Capcom needs to wise the fuck up though. For real. Make a business plan with Sony and get those sales up.

KingBroly

Banned
Capcom should've waited until June when the game was fully complete instead of rushing it out of the door with less content all because of a tournament.

It probably has more to do with the Money/Sponsors of the Pro Tour than the Tournament itself.

While I enjoy Street Fighter V when I'm not getting blown up to high hell, I've had a blast playing through Storm 4, it has its faults but it's probably my fav anime game this year and I've never even seen an episode.

SFV launched with like zero content, gamers voted with their wallets. Nothing really shocking here, its on Capcom and their rush to get out before the fighting tourneys..

Phu

Banned
Yooo, did you see the opening segment for Ninja Storm 4? I'm not even into Naruto but after seeing the Giant Bomb QL for it the first several minutes of that game look way more hype than anything I've seen for SFV.

Banned
Well, Naruto did launch with a lot of content and good story mode from day one. And it's still a popular anime (I think it's top 5 out here in the west and still top 20 in Japan for sales and views) so it doesn't shock me.

What's gonna suck is a lot of the casuals who already bought the game and wil abandon it before the full features come out.

For some people, this is their first SF or first fighting game and this is a bad first impression.

labaronx

SFV launched with like zero content, gamers voted with their wallets. Nothing really shocking here, its on Capcom and their rush to get out before the fighting tourneys..

The game wasnt even really well marketed. Capcom made a decision sony supported it... what else really needs to be said...

entremet

I remember people saying content doesn't matter. Get the game out for EVO, they said.

Capcom fucked up chasing eSports.

Gaming is a front loaded medium and bad word of mouth will kill your game.

I'm a hardcore player but I even know that wide appeal is important if we want these games to be made.

Yooo, did you see the opening segment for Ninja Storm 4? I'm not even into Naruto but after seeing the Giant Bomb QL for it the first several minutes of that game look way more hype than anything I've seen for SFV.
It's pretty hype, it goes up and down between the different fights but the game overall has some pretty hype moments. It's not ramped up to Asuras Wrath level of craziness but it pretty awesome throughout.

Nanashrew

Banned
Naruto was HUGE back in the mid-late 2000s but I always thought it kinda died off. That's really surprising to hear that it still has momentum, and ESPECIALLY that it beat Street Fighter. And on PS4 alone, before even counting the XB1 version... whoof.

I wonder how much of it is due to these games. There seems to be a fairly sizable audience that doesn't care too much for Naruto as an anime or manga but eat up the Storm games.

I think Naruto's come back because the series ended. Now a new series or movie is beginning IIRC which will follow the sons and daughters of the original cast.

I remember people saying content doesn't matter. Get the game out for EVO, they said.

Capcom fucked up chasing eSports.

Gaming is a front loaded medium and bad word of mouth will kill your game.

I'm a hardcore player but I even know that wide appeal is important if we want these games to be made.
I remember FGC people arguing that the core and tournament players are more important than mainstream users too. It's almost funny in retrospect. This will be a lesson none of the core had better forget.

I bought Naruto on X1 for the story mode despite never watching the anime. I also bought Mortal Kombat X on X1 mostly because of the story mode. I don't play much fighting games.

Yeah they sure made a pretty game. I'm impressed, seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSRQIWmimlc

Someone get Platinum to do the combat, and have CyberConnect make it just looks super pretty. I'd buy that game.

1JXgNuK

The naruto games are pretty awesome, I find the fight scenes or animations at most times way better than the anime. The anime could have been great if they'd cut out the damn fillers and flashbacks that take up like 80% of the whole series.

Welfare

I really do wonder how many people purchased the game just to see the ending animated lol.

Anime has been a huge let down. How do you get stuck in filler hell after the manga has ended over a year ago?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom