• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 outsold Street Fighter V on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
『Inaba Resident』;198116001 said:
If you consider a large part of the cast having the same exact moveset from 3 or 4 games ago fine, then idk. I find the games fun, but CC2 could definitely use some help in that department.

Well yeah I agree with that wholeheartedly, but I don't need they would need to outsource development for that.

GreatNumber

Unconfirmed Member
Man, that really sucks for Capcom, I wonder if this will change release schedules for future content of the game?

Completely off topic, but I sort of wish that other large animes like DBZ got similar treatment with the Ninja Storm games. Xenoverse 2 looking, and playing similar to that is what I NEED.

entremet

The core will still be playing/watching it and I would expect the game to still receive support.
Maybe in balance patches here and there but I doubt it will get any more content beyond year 1 if this continues to underperform.

Let's not forget that IV got massive support over its tenure, but it was also way more popular out of the gate.

I guess if worse comes to worse it could be like a Melee. A game that's no longer supported but lives on in tourneys.

I think that also says a lot here. Naruto is clearly appealing to the audience that Capcom foolishly ignored.

This, after Ono repeatedly stated that SFV was supposed to be a reset that brings new players in.

He says all that, but we aren't getting any detailed tutorials or unlockable content with in-game currency until the March patch; the cinematic story mode isn't until June. Even the stuff that does work is still spotty, like the Battle Lounge, which I have yet to use without issues. And the online play was terrible during the first week or so.

If they were really serious about bringing new players on board, they should've waited until the upcoming patch content was finished and released in this month. Sure, you have to settle for 8 million CPT events instead of 9 million, but in exchange you have happier non-FGC customers and address the complaints about lacking content that critics listed in their reviews. Both of which would only help the games sales.

I really don't get why the launch was handled in this way.

Man, that really sucks for Capcom, I wonder if this will change release schedules for future content of the game?

Completely off topic, but I sort of wish that other large anime like DBZ got similar treatment with the Ninja Storm games. Xenoverse 2 looking, and playing similar to that is what I NEED.
Tenkaichi series is probably the closet. I'm not sure if it aged well though, I haven't played one in years.

What was the profit or gain from rushing a neutered version of this game out in time for tourneys? Did they think the exposure would be enough for it to sell like wildfire?

Anyway, these days I have a shit eating grin when I see a Capcom IP languishing. The sooner they disintigrate and need to sell Megaman IP, the better.

VariantX

Why would they care? This won't affect them.

It will if sony and capcom decide to not produce any future content for it. SF4 sold way more copies to way more people across 3 platforms and it was likely much easier to argue that a significant number of those people will purchase those upgrades and optional things like costumes. People in the FGC are not ignorant of that fact.

V might have gotten away with it if it was in the same position 4 was in. Pretty sure there just wasn't that craving or curiosity from the non-FGC gamers.

Moaradin

I really hope SFV has long legs. It would be a shame if such a fantastic game wasn't successful. Especially since the things most people seem to want will be in the game relatively quick during the game lifespan.

joe2187

Banned
Thats what you get for not putting Sakura in the game. Fuck you.

But Sakura IS in the game!

NS3FB+2014-07-06+14-33-34-98.png

NAAAAAAAARUTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SAAAAASUUUUKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

lol I guess the lack of content (particularly showing the public the cinematic story trailer with a release date for June rather then launch) made a ton of people hold out until more content is issued. Now compare it to this Naruto game that has a ton of content in it and it makes complete sense.

This has me hopeful that Tekken 7 knocks it out of the park.

It will be a great console package for sure, Tekken always is. However Tekken isn't entirely dependent on it's console sales. Tekken 7 is killing it in arcades right now. Even if console flopped, Tekken has its future secured.

Naruto is pretty dope though and the series just ended so people are hungry for more. I don't like what this OP is insinuating. Itachi is cooler than anyone in the SF universe.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Remember how MS was going to have a no used game policy and didn't even launch with it due to backlash? And now it STILL hurts them and people STILL think you can't play used games on it?

And Capcom thinks Street Figther is going to be able to bounce back after every story about it being 'the game has no content' and 'the game has no real single player modes' even Splatoon had a fairly decent but forgettable campaign.

Average Joe is just going to see Street Fighter V in shops months from now and go, 'Nah, my buddy said that game doesn't even have a story mode and only has like 8 characters' even if all of that's been patched in

orochi91

Sad that Capcom didn't bother waiting a couple more months before releasing the game.

That delay could have made all the difference in the world, with respect to getting more content completed for launch.

entremet

Remember how MS was going to have a no used game policy and didn't even launch with it due to backlash? And now it STILL hurts them and people STILL think you can't play used games on it?

And Capcom thinks Street Figther is going to be able to bounce back after every story about it being 'the game has no content' and 'the game has no real single player modes' even Splatoon had a fairly decent but forgettable campaign.

Average Joe is just going to see Street Fighter V in shops months from now and go, 'Nah, my buddy said that game doesn't even have a story mode and only has like 8 characters' even if all of that's been patched in
It didn't even have an arcade mode!

Madao

i guess the group of peeps that wants to see the end of Naruto but refuses to read the manga is pretty big...

one of those UNS4 sales came from me but i have played just 1 hour thanks to Fire Emblem.

RocBase

I really hope SFV has long legs. It would be a shame if such a fantastic game wasn't successful. Especially since the things most people seem to want will be in the game relatively quick during the game lifespan.

UMVC3 also had a disastrous launch in natural Capcom fashion, and that game had serious legs. So long as the tournament scene/streaming stays alive I do firmly believe it'll do ok in the long run.

cordy

Banned
What was the profit or gain from rushing a neutered version of this game out in time for tourneys? Did they think the exposure would be enough for it to sell like wildfire?

Anyway, these days I have a shit eating grin when I see a Capcom IP languishing. The sooner they disintigrate and need to sell Megaman IP, the better.

Not enough.

I stick by my opinion that they could have pushed the Capcom Pro Tour back a bit and just started anew months later.

Dark times ahead for Street Fighter.

I'm sure V will see some decent support for a few years but I can't imagine getting a SF VI at this point.

Purest 78

Better fighting game with more content sold better. Is it really a surprise if you take away the names?

In 3 years people won't remember Naruto Existed. SfV will still be head lining every major fighting tournament. People are Thinking to short term with this game. Over time I think it will do just fine.

Zeta Oni

UMVC3 also had a disastrous launch in natural Capcom fashion, and that game had serious legs. So long as the tournament scene/streaming stays alive I do firmly believe it'll do ok in the long run.

Yeah, but UMVC3 had one thing going for it that SFV will never have.

MARVEL.

Those legs didn't come from nowhere, they came from Disney turning marvel into a damn cultural phenomenon and capcom having the only game you can make The Hulk smash Ryu and captain America with Dr. Doom as backup.

Oh, this is funny, huh? This is funny? It won't be so funny when I go cancel DMC. What a goddamn travesty this is. I knew this would happen. It's all Obama's fault. And Capcoms. And probably the Jews.

Edit:

You just done took the Emperor's slogan in vain.

Pump your breaks Saitama. That man's a national treasure.

Leave Dante out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom