• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 outsold Street Fighter V on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

I remember FGC people arguing that the core and tournament players are more important than mainstream users too. It's almost funny in retrospect. This will be a lesson none of the core had better forget.
The arguments were asinine and I was refuting them as much as I could.

I mean, I adore SFV, but Capcom did a disservice to the game. Should've wanted for summertime. The March patch sounds great too.

Game deserved better.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No features, awful roster choices, ugly new characters. Who can blame them.

nobody gives a fuck about your alpha characters

Naruto was HUGE back in the mid-late 2000s but I always thought it kinda died off. That's really surprising to hear that it still has momentum, and ESPECIALLY that it beat Street Fighter. And on PS4 alone, before even counting the XB1 version... whoof.

I wonder how much of it is due to these games. There seems to be a fairly sizable audience that doesn't care too much for Naruto as an anime or manga but eat up the Storm games.

I haven't liked or cared about Naruto in like 5+ years, but I keep buying the Storm games. So for me, yeah that last sentence is true. It's my not-so-secret shame. Like, I'm playing 4 story mode and going "oh my god this is the dumbest shit, I'm glad I checked out so long ago" and then I'm running around in Adventure mode doing dumb quests for characters I don't care about and having fun.

New002

I remember people saying content doesn't matter. Get the game out for EVO, they said.

Capcom fucked up chasing eSports.

Gaming is a front loaded medium and bad word of mouth will kill your game.

I'm a hardcore player but I even know that wide appeal is important if we want these games to be made.

This is for the [tournament] players™

D:

Tough blow for SFV. I'm curious to see if it picks up steam once more content drops. I imagine it will.

Do we think this still would have happened if SFV was more fully-featured at launch? The state it released in certainly could have turned off a lot of the hardcore, but looking at the general gaming audience who don't frequent forums and such, was there maybe just not the interest there anyway?

Not surprised at all.
Naruto is still pretty big and SFV has had some bad word of mouth, no marketing ,etc.
I think the game will be fine in the long run but its definitely has had a terrible start. Only thing to blame is Capcom

Do we think this still would have happened if SFV was more fully-featured at launch? The state it released in certainly could have turned off a lot of the hardcore, but looking at the general gaming audience who don't frequent forums and such, was there maybe just not the interest there anyway?

Had it had more marketing and features at launch, it would have definitely done better. Still probably wouldn't have beaten Naruto because, well, its Naruto. Shit is huge.

entremet

Game got horrific word of mouth. Metacritic, YT, Amazon ratings. All mostly due to the pathetic single player content.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, this is funny, huh? This is funny? It won't be so funny when I go cancel DMC. What a goddamn travesty this is. I knew this would happen. It's all Obama's fault. And Capcoms. And probably the Jews.

Perhaps you should "believe it" instead.

Mikey Jr.

They clearly rushed out the game for tournament players at the expense of sales.

Did they know this would happen?

That's the scarier possibility.

Naruto was HUGE back in the mid-late 2000s but I always thought it kinda died off. That's really surprising to hear that it still has momentum, and ESPECIALLY that it beat Street Fighter. And on PS4 alone, before even counting the XB1 version... whoof.

I wonder how much of it is due to these games. There seems to be a fairly sizable audience that doesn't care too much for Naruto as an anime or manga but eat up the Storm games.

We're still getting DBZ games 20 years after manga ended. The Naruto train ain't ending any time soon.

SkyB

Banned
Love the game but hate people who spam jump online shit is annoying, they think there some kind of pro spamming that shit to try and counter you.

eksy

Banned
I never even played the previous Ninja Storm games, so I don't know the history or backstory.

But damn it hooked me. By the end, I was super invested in the characters. Cyberconnect2 really knows how to get you hyped. "NIGHT GUY!"

A bit sad to find out it seems to be the conclusion of the series. Once you figure out the combat, yeah it is a bit shallow, but everything else is great if you value story.

It's easily a 'recommend' so positive buzz and word-of-mouth gets around. As for SFV, that is not a 'recommend' at it's current price, unless you are in the hardcore and those guys bought that game regardless.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah they sure made a pretty game. I'm impressed, seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSRQIWmimlc

Someone get Platinum to do the combat, and have CyberConnect make it just look super pretty. I'd buy that game.

ohYQEJKuQcN0s.gif

but the last fighting game Platinum made was garbage

Naruto would still outsell SFV even if it had bigger roster, more content, stuff, etc etc... Naruto isn't some random anime.
People are really sleeping on naruto to shit om sfv some more. These games always sell great. Naruto is a popular anime over here onky behind dbz add to the fact it was the last storm game. Capcom screwing up was just icing on the cake

Im a very casual SF fan and I was never going to get it at launch but I would have considered it in the coming weeks if the WoM was good. With so much stuff missing this game doesn't exist to me until it's "complete".

Eidan

It's shocking that Capcom thought releasing a bare bones game, in the wake of the success of MK9 and MKX, was a good idea.

jett

D-Member
I have never play any of these Naruto games, and yet I'm convinced this game offers more content and a more complete package than Unfinished Fighter V. SFV may play nice, and I have put 60 hours of my time in it, but the game as it is currently sold deserves to fail, period.

Capcom is simply ran by dumbasses.

cj_iwakura

It's shocking that Capcom thought releasing a bare bones game, in the wake of the success of MK9 and MKX, was a good idea.

It's pretty common for them to have less than the competition, even Ultra had less than, say, an ArcSys fighter. This is the first time they pretty much released just an online fighter, though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Which one do you mean? If that's a jab at Anarchy Reigns, I'll fight you.
It's a full on body blow to that garbage game
Eh, i'd say just drop the pretense of a fighting game and go full character action on the big Asura's Wrath fights.
This game's never gonna be a competitive fighter or anything.

If they wanted to make a game about big Asura's Wrath fights then.... CyberConnect would make it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yooo, did you see the opening segment for Ninja Storm 4? I'm not even into Naruto but after seeing the Giant Bomb QL for it the first several minutes of that game look way more hype than anything I've seen for SFV.
The character animation in that game is pretty insane.

I never mind the gameplay in CC2 Naruto games. It's simple, fun, and easy to pick up and that's all it really takes for me ti get interested.

Sandfox

It affects them indirectly. Less content and support for the genre. It's still very early, but if the sales don't improve, I could see Capcom just doing season 1 and cutting bait.
The core will still be playing/watching it and I would expect the game to still receive support.

CC2 doesn't need any help.

The gameplay is fine.
If you consider a large part of the cast having the same exact moveset from 3 or 4 games ago fine, then idk. I find the games fun, but CC2 could definitely use some help in that department. May not be necessary considering its a fan service game but I think the gameplay should have improved more than it has considering how many games have been released.
It's a full on body blow to that garbage game

log out

It's interesting to see the two opposite ends of the spectrum.

A fighter that focuses entirely on multiplayer balance, depth, etc. at the expense of its content

versus

A fighter that would never make it into a major offline tournament

You look at the sales and think about, what approach will be seen as better from the perspective of a company looking to sell units and get money?

Not everyone can be NRS and make a top class tournament game that's also filled with content and worth it as a single player story experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom