• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Mass Effect 3 on WiiU.. wow.

Also Allstars.. lol. Worst holiday exclusive of all time?

wrowa

top 15

Mario
ZombiU
Scribblenaus
cod
jd4
nland
mickey
batman
sonic
skylanders
ac3
sing
nfl13
espn
ng3

Not sure if Scribblenauts on 3 is a good or bad thing.

One of the better launch games, no doubt, but it makes me wonder if everything below it sold like complete garbage.

Virtue's Last Reward sales would be greatly appreciated, btw.

How long are people going to be peddling this "Pokemon BW2 underperformed" nonsense?

What's nonsense about it? It started as high as a 3rd version in the US -- which I very much doubt they were hoping for, considering that they put a lot more effort into this one -- and it already left all European charts after just a few weeks. That's not the way a new Pokemon release normally behaves.

Pociask

It probably also doesn't help that Pokémon keeps releasing DS games and not 3DS-exclusive games.

It doesn't help that the 3DS, after a massive price cut, costs 40 bucks more than the DS Lite launched at, that 3DS games cost 10 bucks more than DS games, and that Nintendo doesn't have sign of another Brain Age, Nintendo Dogs, or NSMB on the horizon.

Honestly at this point it looks like the 3ds was a massive mistake, and that Nintendo stupidly got into a portable graphics arm race which it had wisely ignored for the rest of its history.

I think they could have treated the DS and DSi like the Gameboy and Gameboy Color line, and continued having gigantic success. Instead they've priced themselves out of the market, and created expectations for software that have significantly slowed releases.

Uhg.

For comparison, from the Gameboy to the GBA - 1989 - 2001. 11 years, and 3 years of Gameboy Color in there. From the launch of the DS to the launch of the 3DS - 2004 to 2011, 7 years, only 2-3 years of DSi in there, and zero DSi only retail games.

black-power.jpg
black - 75%
white - 25%
Should've been the only SKU available with Nintendo Land being only a pack-in.

test_account

XP-39C²
Lol I see he's edited now, confused my brain for a minute

Really quite disturbing for Sony that numbers like that can be considered a spectacular performance for the system especially as they were virtually giving them away, be interesting how much money sony "lost" on them and seeing as the games are apparently mediocre and terrible respectively if they leave a sour taste in the new owners mouths
Would people judge a whole system on one or two games?

LOCK

Not really all that bad of a November. December should be interesting, as in will systems see % increases over November, unlike last year.

Wii U did good, and we really can't say any more till we see December sales.

I think Nintendo is planning for a huge push on 3DS next year, especially with all the software hits that they should be releasing.

Hiltz

Launch month sales

New SMB DS: 500k (sold in the first 35 days)
New SMB Wii: 1.39 million copies
New SMB 3DS: 240k copies
New SMB Wii U: 243k copies

Chorazin

Pretty sure it's Wii U numbers. Premium vs Basic.

I still don't really understand who the target audience of the Basic model is. The casuals they want to reach with Nintendoland which is only included in the Premium pack? Makes ... no sense whatsoever.

I guess they just wanted to be able to say that the Wii U is available at 299$.

I got the white one because it was the only one left, and at the time it wasn't obvious they'd be EVERYWHERE at the end of that week.

Oh well, at least the white looks nicer, no obvious smudging.

They can't be happy with Assassin's Creed 3 can they.
Launch month sales

New SMB DS: 2 million copies
New SMB Wii: 1.39 million copies
New SMB 3DS: 240k copies
New SMB Wii U: 243k copies (debuting on new platform of course)
isn't that ignoring world wide sales?

Ok, so perhaps Nintendo is having a console... nomenclature issue - at least in the west. I'm not one for anecdotes, but I was in a Gamestop yesterday and I witnessed the fabled exchange between the GS associate and the bewildered mother with the conviction that the Wii U was an add-on. It felt so scripted it was almost surreal.

FWIW I've overheard similar conversations where a salesperson was having to explain a 360 game wouldn't work on an xbox and a ps3 game wouldn't work on a ps2 years after the systems were released. Doesn't really change the fact that it's an issue for the wii u, but there probably isn't much Nintendo could do to avoid the issue. Many people can't be bothered to do any level of research. They should have just named the system something completely non wii related. I guess they thought there was value in the brand, but it doesn't really seem to be helping at all.

MrDaravon

I wasn't expecting PASBR to sell, but goddamn at sub 80k. Jesus Christ.

Also Wii U software seems to have been largely shit. It's hard to extrapolate how much, but CoD at #4 seems bad given that I've never heard of there being more than about 700 people on it's multiplayer.

jman2050

What's nonsense about it? It started as high as a 3rd version in the US -- which I very much doubt they were hoping for, considering that they put a lot more effort into this one -- and it already left all European charts after just a few weeks. That's not the way a new Pokemon release normally behaves.

You can't hold it to some arbitrary standard when an existing known standard already applies. It's a third version. Third versions don't sell like the mainline games.

ps3 all star < vita ver *10

PS3 All-Stars = <80K

Vita All-Stars = <8K

Oh my god... in comparison, March 2008 NPD statistics put SSB: Brawl at 2.7 MILLION, 875k on its first day in North America.

No words can explain the magnitude of this floppage.

I wonder what the development costs were like with All-Stars. Hope Sony won't take too large of a hit. There's a very good chance we're not seeing a sequel, though. Not with these numbers.

terrisus

Guess Ninteno Land isn't appealing as a standalone title to people

The only reason, it would seem, to buy Nintendo Land as a stand-alone title is if one couldn't find the Deluxe bundle (or really prefer the color white). Since, with the Deluxe you get the system, with more memory, and the game, for cheaper than the price of the standard plus the game. And that's even assuming one wants to buy it physically, since then there's the digital option (and it's a good game to have as always on the system too).

So, given all that, frankly I'm surprised it sold as well as it did (or, the other option, that everything below it bombed horribly)

Guess Ninteno Land isn't appealing as a standalone title to people or Zombie U, COD, and Scribble have decent sales.

Or anyone with more than 2 brain sells would've bought the black if they wanted Nintendo land, though as we can see from the fact stand alone Nintendo land actually sold anything at all and the fact people still buy the DS there are plenty of consumers with 2 or fewer brain cells

Kai

Also have to realize re: Top 15 Wii U sales that digital sales are not included. This is the first console for that to truly matter now during launch.

Top Bottom