• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

isn't 1/5 of 5.5 million 1.1 million?

More like 1/10 of the way there. I think they are starting out a little behind projections but Christmas might help them make up some ground.

Oh boy...math fail. Yeah, not quite 1/10 of the way there and four more months to pull it off, although Japan and Europe will make up some of the slack, I have a feeling Nintendo is hoping ~3m of them to be in the US.

lenovox1

It absolutely could happen.

It absolutely would never happen in the next 10 years. Nintendo would go private before anyone has the chance to scoop them up, and a mere partnership wouldn't be beneficial for either party in the near future.

Hero

Kind of not good numbers all around.

You think Nintendo would've done some retail exclusive Black Friday weekend promotion for the 3DS other than the shitty 3DS regular + Mario 3D Land. I mean Wal-mart was advertising the DSi XL on their front page circular.

Price needs to come down on those systems still. I kind of wonder if the 130 retailer price drops are effective for the month of December. I think if the MSRP of the system were lowered to 129.99 starting in the Spring of next year it might be at a more acceptable price point.

Also it's not that surprising when the only holiday game you have is a Paper Mario title.

vita all star < 8k

D3jlr.gif
D3jlr.gif
D3jlr.gif

jcm

november 2005 npd is the one to compare against. the ds launched in 2004. 2005 was its second november.

GBA - 820,000
NDS - 369,000

both were down from november 2004:

NDS: 479K
GBA: 1,100K

That's a poor comparison, though, because the DS had only four quarters prior to that November. 3DS has already had seven. November 2006 puts it at a much more comparable point in its lifespan.

Kusagari

All Stars is already niche to begin with.

Anyone who bought it is almost assured to own a PS3 and bought that version since the Vita version came free with it to begin with.

I'm sure the game bombed, but that number doesn't say much of anything.

eternalb

They need to ax the DSi line and see how that translates. 3DS is being savaged by the DSi line much like Early DS got savaged by GBA

For comparison

DS 2nd year. NPD NOV 2005
&#9726;GBA - 820,000
&#9726;NDS - 369,000

Great post. Excellent comparison.

That's a poor comparison, though, because the DS had only four quarters prior to that November. 3DS has already had seven. November 2006 puts it at a much more comparable point in its lifespan.

I disagree. The 3DS had a botched launch that largely wiped out the first few quarters anyway. I think comparing Xmas periods is perfectly apt comparison.

NateDrake

I've been saying this for months. The 3DS is NOT doing poorly compared to the original DS at this point.

People need to stop thinking we're ever going to see DS/GBA sales again in a market so saturated with tablet/iOS devices.

I agree with you. The GBA/DS/Wii sales explosion will not happen again for a while. IMO 3DS is performing fine but it could be better, obviously.

VICI0US

NSMB2 didn't help, why would Animal Crossing help? Nintendo desperately needs new ideas in their software line-ups. Creating Brain Age sequel won't help. They need more original ideas that would resonate with casual market.

casuals are gone. they're perfectly content playing low quality F2P/$0.99 games on their phones.

the market that bought nintendogs, brain training, crosswords, and all the other more casual/mass market oriented handheld software just isn't there anymore for nintendo, and I really don't see them coming back.

What in the hell was Nintendo thinking letting the Holiday 3DS line-up go so barren...

A nearly 1/3 decline for a platform not even 2 years old is serious shit. I don't necessarily think that is the 3DS's Q1 2013 line-up would have made up the difference, but damn New Super Mario Bros 2 (consumer really do seem to be a bit tired of the series now, I know I am and NSMB2 was very arguably of the worst in the series) and Paper Mario really aren't doing a damn thing for the system. We'll see how things go with the MK7 XL this Christmas, but I don't see it going very well when it's already much more expensive than the base model. They really should have had an MK7 OG 3DS bundle as well. Oh yea, and the emergency price-drop. Anyway I look at it, I can;t see 3DS getting anywhere close to last year's numbers. MK7 and SM3DL really showed their strength last year.

All they have left to really push HW numbers is Pokemon...

The numbers are irrelevant. It's not important that they sold the majority of the Wii U's sitting on shelves. What's important, and what's troubling, is that the first 400,000 units don't even qualify as low lying fruit. It's the fruit that's fallen to the ground and you just pick up. For such a low number, supply should not be this plentiful on shelves. It's the same scenario PS3 had when it launched. It would take an absolute disaster not to be able to sell out launch units. What's important is the second wave. And if units are easily obtainable in December, it's going to be a long next year.
PS3 had an extra week of coverage and didn't even break 200k in Nov 2006. All it's software combined sold less than just NSMBU did (and it was also available digitally). No, Wii U isn't quite the "same scenario".

wrowa

It probably also doesn't help that Pokémon keeps releasing DS games and not 3DS-exclusive games.

Well, the idea to release B/W2 on the DS was good ... in theory. In reality, the games seem to underperform in both the US and Europe, while the 3DS has no big game for the holiday season. They planned this really poorly.

Top Bottom