• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

There were people doubting that it would break 100k for the month.
It's doing terrible, there's no other way around it, price should be cut to 170$ right now permanently but compared to 3DS is not so bad.
Results just prove that the market for dedicated gaming handhelds is shrinking considerably. Still with a cheaper price and more games they have a chance to get decent sales.
People gotta realize the DS is still selling well. If the DS was dead and all of those DS sales were 3DS sales we could be looking at a totally different perspective here.

vareon

No wonder there are amazon user reviews complaining why Professor Layton and The Miracle Mask didn't work on his 3DS and how Nintendo disappointed him for wanting to sell their "3d ds".

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Was just in a Walmart...they had two Wii U's sitting behind glass. It is selling but there doesn't seem to be a crazy demand for it.

Takao

Banned
There is no 3DS price cut. Nintendo didn't announce one during their Nintendo Direct, their latest "This is a DS, and this is a 3DS, they're different" video states the current MSRP and the person who said there would be a price cut retracted that comment.

Vita is dead as a door nail but Nintendo has to be worried about 3ds.

Selling over 22 million in less than two years is pretty good at a high price point and it's still tracking alongside the original DS, we have to wait and see if it can keep pace but even still it seems to be on track to selling at least 60 million.

There is no 3DS price cut. Nintendo didn't announce one during their Nintendo Direct, their latest "This is a DS, and this is a 3DS, they're different" video states the current MSRP and the person who said there would be a price cut retracted that comment.

Uhm...thanks?
What?

nasos_333

Bravely Default won't move hardware. It probably won't even hit 1 million sold in the US.

I cant agree with that :)

It will definatly move some hardware among those that cant wait for the next true FF like game

imo Bravely Default could be huge for 3DS if marketed right, it is hands down the most interesting and impressive thing i have seen from Square in ages (as far as actual games go, because Agnes tech demo was the most impressive next gen showing too)

It is also my top wanted 3DS game by miles and only some other huge RPG or Zelda might rival it (but probably not in the art department)

I still can't believe Epic Mickey 2 didnt chart, the first one had a massive openning, I guess I'm really alone in loving these series after all D:

People make this mistake all the time: sequel sales are many many times an indication of how much the previous game was received, especially when considering first month sales.

Blops 2 is an indication of how well MW3 and Blops 1 was received by the audience. That's why they preorder. In the first few days or even weeks, the quality of the new game has nothing to do with anything. Nobody has played the game yet. They can't... but they bought it in droves anyway. It's too early for actual hands-on. It's even too early for reviews and word of mouth, but if the audience played the previous one and liked it, then they're a shoe-in for a sale of the next one. After they played the new one, then they can access if they liked it or not (and will continue to buy more of the series), but paying for it and thus becoming a sale came first.

In other words, Epic Mickey 2's sales indicate that people did not like the first one.

TheChaos

It's not just Animal Crossing, but the entire line-up. Nintendo can't do everything on their own but third parties aren't showering the handheld with titles either. I'm sure it has it's reasons (most likely games underperforming) but man I wish Nintendo could do something about it.

Maybe Nintendo is finally feeling the sting of no western 3rd party support on their handhelds?

Vita is saved

425,000 Wii Us with a projections of 5.5 for WW by March 31st...That's nearly one fifth of the way there! ;)

If NSMBU only managed ~240,000 though, 25 million non-bundled software units could be the tough nut to crack (especially if more games get delayed).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I cant agree with that :)

It will definatly move some hardware among those that cant wait for the next true FF like game

imo Bravely Default could be huge for 3DS if marketed right, it is hands down the most interesting and impressive thing i have seen from Square in ages (as far as actual games go, because Agnes tech demo was the most impressive next gen showing too)

In the US? I would be shocked as shit. I think if there was serious thought that it could hit 1m in the US, a localized version would have been announced.

Pociask

412K for 475K consoles sold... so around 0.87 to 1.

As pointed out by others, Twilight Princess was much more targeting at hard core Nintendo fans, and had been anticipated for years. They announced they were developing a new Zelda coming for Gamecube in 2003. They first showed a trailer at E3 2004. They showed more stuff at E3 2005. They showed off the Wii version at E3 2006. Then they pushed back the Gamecube version a month to push Zelda fans to pick up a Wii. It then was released in fall of 06. In terms of other Zelda games, it was the first console game since Wind Waker in 2002, and the portable Zeldas released in that time span weren't really anything like what Twilight Princess offered.

So you've got:
Year 0 (Wind Waker Release)
Year 1(new Zelda announcement)
Year 2(E3)
Year 3(E3)
Year 4 (Wii version E3 - launch)

Put NSMBU on that timeline and it's not as favorable, especially considering similar NSMB releases:

Year 0 (NSMB is still topping sales charts)
Year 1(NSMBWii announced, E3, NSMBWii released)
Year 2 (Nintendo announces new 2d Mario for 3DS)
Year 3 (E3 in tech demo NSMB Mii forM)
Year 4 (NSMB2 released. E3 showing NSMBU- launch)

There was really no chance NSMBU was going to sell as well AT LAUNCH as well as Twilight Princess. Certainly it has good chances of outselling it over the years.

Drago

I'm surprised they haven't made any effort to get the public to know they can get a free game if they buy a 3DSXL. Some parents bought one in a store and were stunned when I told them.
NoA isn't doing that deal for whatever extremely idiotic reason. That could definitely help sell the system if they advertised it correctly.

In this thread there are a few people who've said "And this is why Nintendo is cutting the price" in regards to 3DS sales figures. They aren't cutting the price.

Ah okay. Yeah no price cut just some bundles.
EU is actually doing bundles at the right time - why the hell was NOA not pushing a 3DS bundle over November?

Stick Kid Icarus in a box with an XL.

1-D_FTW

I bet People will be shocked when they see the xbox 720 selling less than the xbox 360 next year (or 2014)

Wii U numbers are actually really good, especially if you note npd is only counting the first 7 Wii U days...

The numbers are irrelevant. It's not important that they sold the majority of the Wii U's sitting on shelves. What's important, and what's troubling, is that the first 400,000 units don't even qualify as low lying fruit. It's the fruit that's fallen to the ground and you just pick up. For such a low number, supply should not be this plentiful on shelves. It's the same scenario PS3 had when it launched. It would take an absolute disaster not to be able to sell out launch units. What's important is the second wave. And if units are easily obtainable in December, it's going to be a long next year.

miksar

3DS numbers are not good. DS needs to die and the system needs more killer apps. They should have focused on getting Animal Crossing out same time as the Japanese release.
NSMB2 didn't help, why would Animal Crossing help? Nintendo desperately needs new ideas in their software line-ups. Creating Brain Age sequel won't help. They need more original ideas that would resonate with casual market.

Well those 360 numbers are a surprise, especially this far into the gen. Who's still buying this thing?

Good for MS though, it's a great platform

antonz

Considering the information in this thread, they should.

They need to ax the DSi line and see how that translates. 3DS is being savaged by the DSi line much like Early DS got savaged by GBA

For comparison

DS 2nd year. NPD NOV 2005
◾GBA - 820,000
◾NDS - 369,000

Ah okay. Yeah no price cut just some bundles.
EU is actually doing bundles at the right time - why the hell was NOA not pushing a 3DS bundle over November?

Stick Kid Icarus in a box with an XL.
reggie_shrugs.png

Alcibiades

425,000 Wii Us with a projections of 5.5 for WW by March 31st...That's nearly one fifth of the way there! ;)

If NSMBU only managed ~240,000 though, 25 million non-bundled software units could be the tough nut to crack (especially if more games get delayed).

isn't 1/5 of 5.5 million 1.1 million?

More like 1/10 of the way there. I think they are starting out a little behind projections but Christmas might help them make up some ground.

Top Bottom