• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2012 Sales Results [Up3: NBA, MoH, NSMB2 + History, Pokemon, RE6]

Ridley327

RE6 did a lot worse than anyone expected. IIRC, it's at least 100k down from what RE5 did on just the 360 in its first month.

Man, there has been nothing that Capcom got right with the lead-up to the game's release.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wow, Pokemon Bombed big time. I guess this sequel idea never came into fruitation.

How can be considered a bomba a game which did better than what Platinum did in its first month?

sinseers

I am more shocked that a multinational corporation can so badly misjudge the market demand for a product.

Going with ports of their console games AGAIN (See PSP) might have something to do with why the Vita is floundering like a fish out of water and why the 3DS (While not selling as as robust as its predecessor) is enjoying healthy sales.

Berordn

Wow, Pokemon Bombed big time. I guess this sequel idea never came into fruitation.

It's still better than the typical 3rd game's launch (I think), though until we get lifetime numbers it'll be too early to tell. Either way, buys them the time they need to develop Gen VI.

Dragon

Banned
Going with ports of their console games AGAIN (See PSP) might have something to do with why the Vita is floundering like a fish out of water and why the 3DS (While not selling as as robust as its predecessor) is enjoying healthy sales.

It's definitely the games. But people are very ripe to jump on "omg I can take my WiiU traveling and play just on the gamepad" so people don't care about this "console games on portables" thing. They just need good exclusives, which apparently Sony doesn't want to do. I looked at the Vita store yesterday on my PS3 and I found more PSP games I was interested in than Vita games. The games that are there seem to be pretty good but there aren't enough.

Yeah right 50$ of cut boost the sales, it's pretty knew... :/ & what a best strategy to increase the price more further.

Company's should just keep their margins low all the time them - am'a'right?
As I say their sales fell, their not going to be fuelled by a price cut at this point.

Keep the price as it is and suck as much profit from the PS3 business as possible before launching the PS4.

Not to say bundles shouldn't still be put out. That would actually be beneficial as Sony can ensure System/Software sales and so the price cut is spread out.

But up front a price cut is unlikely to greatly affect sales in any way, certainly not enough to make up for the price cut.

RE6 did a lot worse than anyone expected. IIRC, it's at least 100k down from what RE5 did on just the 360 in its first month.

Man, there has been nothing that Capcom got right with the lead-up to the game's release.
Yep, there's pretty much no way they're hitting even their revised down 6m projection with these sales.

RE6 Razor's Edge to the rescue...

faridmon

Wait, so people do see this as successful entry? Do guys compare it as a 3rd entry of the series? I mean, it’s a brand new game and the difference of upgrade eclipses the one in Platinum and Emerald...

Wonder how well a Rock Ruby / Shard Sapphire remake would do. I can't help but feel there isn't the same amount of nostalgia for Gen III as there was for I and II.

Wait, so people do see this as successful entry? Do guys compare it as a 3rd entry of the series? I mean, it’s a brand new game and the difference of upgrade eclipses the one in Platinum and Emerald...

Not really. The story is new, but the pokemon are still the same. we are still Gen V. We are still exploring the Unova Region, even if there are new areas. The new features they added are awesome, but its no they are completely revolutionary.

This game was made by the 3rd Entry/remake team, not the team that makes the new generation of each game. I think you are overestimating the cost/time put into it.

Anth0ny

How do NSMB2 sales compare to NSMB DS and Wii's first couple of months?

They look bad, but from what I recall, DS and Wii had far larger install bases when they launched their NSMB games.

I think it is pretty hard to messure this. Would those people who pick up a PS3 or Xbox 360 that late had bought a PS4 or Xbox 720 instead if they had no choice? I guess it also depends on the price difference. Maybe someone picks up an older system this late because it is cheaper.

As someone who has just purchased their first PS3 a month ago (and had a 360 since 2006), I can say that I bought the PS3 specifically that late because I wanted to have a well-established library of exclusive games to pick up at my leisure, rather than buying a system at launch (like the Vita) and having to wait months between compelling games.

Just my personal experience, but if I had the choice between my PS3 at $199 packed with 3 games, and a PS4 at, say, $399, I would have picked the PS3 every time.

The headlines are still very much Unova, Team Plasma, etc. It's certainly not to the scale of a new game with new Pokemon, and it doesn't have the inherent nostalgic audience that came to HGSS. This was about the sort of result I was expecting.

ezekial45

Banned
So what do you all account for RE6's sales? On the surface it seemed like a great entry and a continuation of the RE5 gameplay. I would be surprised if it was just the reviews and negative press before hand that did it in. Didn't this game have solid preorders?

The problem right now is that the US economy (and the world economy) is still in the dumpster.

All the people who are dancing are Sony's grave, just be prepared when all the next gen launches fall flat, a high spiked first month with the hardcore, and then after that cratering because people just shrug/don't care. It of course won't be as bad as the Vita, but they will follow a similar pattern, until the economy improves and people have more disposable income, most of them will buy entertainment in smaller dollars, like games for a console they already have, and not invest in large purchases like a new console.

The last year 360 has sold almost the double of the ps3 every month, how can compete the ps3 with the 360 userbase for the top ten?

Not to mention the fact that there are more multi-console owners than ever this gen and they have been trained to purchase the 360 version whenever possible due to it receiving the better version in so many cases.

Raven77

So are those New Super Mario Bros's numbers any good compared to the last few?

I hope not, Nintendo is whoring out those games as bad as Activision is doing to COD.

Nintendo needs to make a sequel to Mario 64...end of discussion.

Ridley327

So what do you all account for RE6's sales? On the surface it seemed like a great entry and a continuation of the RE5 gameplay. I would be surprised if it was just the reviews and negative press before hand that did it in. Didn't this game have solid preorders?

That's easy:

-Capcom releases a universally reviled spinoff to sate the fanbase in ORC; meanwhile, a quality spinoff like Revelations is exclusive to the 3DS and sells quite poorly, relative to expectations

-The first RE6 demo, which was tied to purchases of Dragon's Dogma, was a deeply polarizing one and featured woeful performance issues

-The second demo, while more polished, still features a lot of problems, especially when it comes to relating the nuances of the controls to the player

-And like you mentioned, the unprecedented negative review blitz

Basically, if Capcom could find something wrong to maintain the hype of the game from its announcement, they did it.

This IS a successful entry; it is showing how a third version can sell much better than usual with slightly more effort. Indeed, in Japan it is selling better than Platinum, and it appaers that is true globally. Black 2 / White 2 is not a new entry, and though quite different from the regular third version, it still the recycle fair.

It's the B-team recycled entry. It's more comparable to Platinum, Emerald and the remakes than it is new Gen releases.

On the surface, it feels like cash-grab with no confidence in its origins as a smaller scale, tension-filled adventure. Zombies, and scary, creepy things work best when they're not trapped inside of some wannabe epic action movie that cynically lifts shit poorly from better releases it aspires to sell like. When that happens, they become like the terrible, forgettable Resident Evil flicks. Past the surface, it's all due to the low-to-middling quality of the game experience itself, franchise and theme fatigue due to so many releases in a relatively short period of time, and an overwhelming sense that more recent titles' action-filled direction is threatening the series' core identity, losing what made the franchise big in the first place. Mostly, though, the game just isn't good. People blaming poor review averages aren't paying attention to the fact that those are the result of the poor product they're reviewing. Plenty of critical misfires still manage more relative sales success in their launch months than RE6 has.

qq more

So are those New Super Mario Bros's numbers any good compared to the last few?

I hope not, Nintendo is whoring out those games as bad as Activision is doing to COD.

Nintendo needs to make a sequel to Mario 64...end of discussion.

I'd like to think NSMB2 and NSMBU are the last NSMB games until the end of next generation. They said it themselves that they won't make more than 1 NSMB per system.

sflufan

Banned
I am so VERY pleased at seeing how well Dishonored performed and this doesn't even count digital PC sales!

Congratulations to Arkane!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I am not sure if Mario is going to sell nearly as much as CoD; WW it may reach 3-4m; maybe unless you mean the whole franchise. But I guess EA Sport games sold pretty well this year.

NBA increase is because this year it was the only NBA, and Skylanders success is mostly due to the toys they will with.

And I think you partly answered yourself; a new AAA gaming selling like 500K and becoming one of the biggest new IP launches just shows how poorly new IPs are doing.
It may sell 2m and still not warrant a sequel; while last gen a lot of new IPs become million sellers, while the production costs and risks were much lower.

Precisely. Last year's NBA game also suffered from a delayed NBA season, there was a lot less marketing spend and hype. This year, 2K had the whole bball market to themselves (not even an NBA Jam out), a full NBA season, and the marketing budget to support it. Demand was inflated. Huge numbers.

Skylanders is because of the toys. If it werent for the revenue there, no one would really be paying much attention to it.

And it's not just JD down, look at Mario, Pokemon, etc. The market is contracted. Will new consoles bring everyone back? I think it's a forgone conclusion it wont. Doesnt mean things wont make money, but the traditional players are going to suffer since budgets and teams are still in place to support revenue from this generation. It's going to have to contract. It'll be a few more years before digital sales make up for retail declines to compensate. Fewer games will sell big, though they'll sell even bigger. Etc.

test_account

XP-39C²
It probably just feels a bit like it because New Super Mario Bros 2 and New Super Mario Bros U are released relatively close to eachother. It will probably take some years before we see another New Super Mario Bros game again.

And it's not just JD down, look at Mario, Pokemon, etc. The market is contracted. Will new consoles bring everyone back? I think it's a forgone conclusion it wont. Doesnt mean things wont make money, but the traditional players are going to suffer since budgets and teams are still in place to support revenue from this generation. It's going to have to contract. It'll be a few more years before digital sales make up for retail declines to compensate. Fewer games will sell big, though they'll sell even bigger. Etc.

In fairness, sequels not matching up to the sales of originals is hardly a new concept. Pokemon in particular is performing about as you'd expect it to.

mrpeabody

I don't know about other people, but for me the thing that turned me off of RE6 was RE5. I do not want to play another RE5.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
In fairness, sequels not matching up to the sales of originals is hardly a new concept. Pokemon in particular is performing about as you'd expect it to.

Well, he was citing nba and skylanders as sequels growing as an indication everything dandy. So there are a few who aren't. few will get bigger, most will shrink. though the ones who get bigger, are going to get BIGGER. it's just the buying habits now. 'casual gamers' who stayed in console are now 'hit buyers' - they buy, 1-3 titles a year, and they buy them in droves. and you'll see games (in gameplay, graphics, style, etc) and marketing (spend and tactics) coalesce to constantly target these hit buyers since it's the biggest market right now.

NBA 2K: Exective Produced by Jay Z. C'mon.

I expected at least 1+ Million for RE 6. Seems like the reviews really had a negative impact, couple it with the horrible public demo and the damage was already done. Let's hope it teaches Capcom a lesson.

AniHawk

god damn. even more evidence bw2 should have been a 3ds game. it'll get to 2-3m in the states, but it could have done much, much better.

Top Bottom