• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD October 2012 Sales Results [Up3: NBA, MoH, NSMB2 + History, Pokemon, RE6]

Madao

wait, people wanted a Pokemon game that doesn't bring new pokes to the mix and isn't a remake to perform on par with new generation games?

that's very silly. that's like expecting the next Paper Mario to do 2D Mario numbers. BW2 should be compared to Platinum, Emerand and the like since those games are in that tier and no, as much as nintendo wanted people to believe otherwise, BW2 is just the 3rd version of BW done in a different way. most of the game is still the same. Platinum and Emerald also had a few new areas and they weren't magically full-fledged sequels. this just proves the public can't be tricked with marketing gimmicks and they know better what is inside the actual games.

and that isn't even considering that these games came way too late into the DS's lifespan (hell, people were complaining that BW1 were already late in DS and should have been 3DS launch titles)

Crawl

is it safe to double dishonored 400kish sales to get a world wide sales figure estimate? I wonder how much of NA makes up of total games sales.

Is 2 million copies sold the break even point for most games now?

Pranay

is it safe to double dishonored 400kish sales to get a world wide sales figure estimate? I wonder how much of NA makes up of total games sales.

Depends upon the game and platforms.

Retail i can see dishounred doing same in EU or maybe more

With Steam , add 600k WW

Cant say about steam since it was a 60$ Game

test_account

XP-39C²
A new region and set of monsters.
It's largely defined by the roster of Pokemon and the region it takes place in.

Gen 1: Red/Blue/Yellow
Gen 2: Gold/Silver/Crystal
Gen 3: Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
Gen 4: Diamond/Silver/Platinum
Gen 5: Black/White/B2/W2
First of all, a brand new region map and Brand new set of Pokemon. There's also a lot of gameplay improvements and little changes across generations that you may or may not care about. Depending on how much are you into Pokemon.

With Red and Blue, i'm under the impression that they are the exact same games except some very minor differences. Red and Blue was released on the same day. But was the later released Yellow in the same category? Did it have very minor differences compared to Red/Blue, like the exact same map and story, but maybe a few extra exclusive Pokemons and some extra side quests in the story?

Very happy with the 70% drop of MoH compared to MoH 2010.

MoH 2010 was alread a shitty game made only to get a piece of that CoD pie (yes I know MoH was before CoD last gen), MoH 2012 is simply put abysmal. If EA will pour even more money into that franchise with MoH 2014 then I will lose all my hope for this company.

Nobody wants CoD clones, Ricitello. I hope you understood after MoH 2012 bombed.

Sandfox

With Red and Blue, i'm under the impression that they are the exact same games except some very minor differences. Red and Blue was released on the same day. But was the later released Yellow in the same category? Did it have very minor differences compared to Red/Blue, like the exact same map and story, but maybe a few extra exclusive Pokemons and some extra side quests in the story?

Yellow featured:
-small changes to add some things from the anime like Pikachu, and three Team Rocket battles
-improved color on the GBC
-Pikachu based minigames
-more battle options for link cable battles
-they changed around which pokemon where exclusive to that version

They really didin't add much but every 3rd version game is adding greater amount of content.

Kusagari

Fine, calling the RE6 sales great was too much but they could have been a lot worse.

Hell, there were numerous people on this forum, even before the backlash in the reviews and demo, that thought it was going to majorly disappoint and do under 500k.

Fine, calling the RE6 sales great was too much but they could have been a lot worse.

Hell, there were numerous people on this forum, even before the backlash in the reviews and demo, that thought it was going to majorly disappoint and do under 500k.
It doesn't get much worse than a 45-50% reduction, honestly. Nobody in their right mind could honestly believe Capcom would sell like only 25% of RE5's launch numbers.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yellow featured:
-small changes to add some things from the anime like Pikachu, and three Team Rocket battles
-improved color on the GBC
-Pikachu based minigames
-more battle options for link cable battles
-they changed around which pokemon where exclusive to that version

They really didin't add much but every 3rd version game is adding greater amount of content.
Thanks :) I was never sure what the different version really ment, i thought they were all new games. I only really played through the first game (Pokemon Red) many, many years ago.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I think someone mentioned this earlier in the thread, but with 35k this month Vita is likely <810k LTD.

I still have no idea about DS numbers. Hopefully jvm stops in to clear things up.

You can't lose that at the end, you can lose "momentum", but those two things are not one and the same. With PS3 and PS2 before it, Sony's been riding on brand recognition and third party support earned over the course of the whole generation (or two, in PS3's case). It didn't matter that PS2 was still selling like hotcakes in 2006, PS3 had a really abhorrent start (even the extremely limited quantities Sony managed to secure for the launch didn't sell out), and things didn't pick up until they dropped the price twice (for 33%, no less) in a matter of months. "Momentum" didn't help them with PSP, and it certainly didn't help them with Vita.

The PS3 may have started poorly but that doesn't mean it didn't benefit from the strong momentum sony had at the time. If the xbox or wii had come out for that price they would have tanked and at least in the case of the xbox probably would have seen MS forced out of the industry imo. The reason the PS3 was actually able to continue selling was because of the position they were in leading into the generation.

Also are you kidding me with the PSP? You couldn't have picked a worse example. It started out extremely well riding on the back of the PS2 momentum. At the beginning it was outselling the DS and everyone was talking about how sony would take over. Sony fucked up and couldn't maintain that success but it doesn't mean the momentum didn't have any impact.

As for the vita, PSP sales tanked long before its release so what momentum would it be riding? If anything that's another example proving my point (there are others like the wii that buck this trend).

Likewise, it didn't matter that GC and the original Xbox had next to no "momentum", the game reset for them when the next generation started. Things that matter, like third party support which in turn spurs general public's interest, are dependent on your performance over the course of the whole generation and some other factors, the importance of short term momentum is comparatively minuscule.

The 360 didn't exactly start all that strongly really. The wii is a great example of bucking this trend but it took a big move out of left field to do it and i don't think that is possible with every console. I strongly disagree with the idea that everything just resets at the start of the generation. I think brand name is more important than that.

I don't think that people buying a PS3 or 360 in 2012, 6/7 years after launch, because its cheap are going to be first in line to buy a $400-$500 PS4/720.

Unless you think that people get more excited about PS4/720 when they see big PS3/360 numbers on the NPD chart, but I hope you don't think that, because it's ridiculous.

What will drive PS4/720 sales early on is appealing to the big fans who have been plugged into the ecosystems for years. That's what drove early 360 sales, not the awesome 2004-2005 Xbox sales.

What i think is that having your brand out there being visible and performing well is going to help you out in the future. It's why every apple launch is met with such overwhelming success. I don't think the people buying consoles now will be the ones buying a PS4/720 in their first year but i do think that keeping your brand visible will affect how many people may want to.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Depends upon the game and platforms.

Retail i can see dishounred doing same in EU or maybe more

With Steam , add 600k WW

Cant say about steam since it was a 60$ Game

I think Dishonored can have nice legs,with word of mouth going on and there will be DLCs too so maybe budget priced GOTY edition soon and when it hit sale on Steam too.

I just hope it's not like a Rage like situation when it did fine numbers (550k in Oct 2011 NPD) but considered a bomba because of the huge development costs (but here Arkane is small studio,it run on UE3 and was in development for not so long,so I doubt it costs Zenimax that much).

GavinGT

Banned
Shouldn't the DC be outpacing the Vita in the states too? I thought the DC actually sold well in the US in the beginning.

The guy you quoted had it wrong. The Dreamcast in Japan (it was only available in Japan for about a year) is outpacing Vita worldwide. This includes the two months in which Vita was only available in Japan.

Miles X

‘more people played Halo 4 in the first 24 hours than any other Halo launch day in history.’

Indicates very good sales for Halo 4, I'm betting with BF it'll do over 4m in Nov. Then again it needs to if it's to match Halo 3/Reach~ sales

‘more people played Halo 4 in the first 24 hours than any other Halo launch day in history.’

Indicates very good sales for Halo 4, I'm betting with BF it'll do over 4m in Nov. Then again it needs to if it's to match Halo 3/Reach~ sales

Halo3 and Reach both sold 3.3 million in their first month according to NPD.

Miles X

Halo3 and Reach both sold 3.3 million in their first month according to NPD.

Yeah, factors this time.

- Competition with COD
-/+ November release, people spending more money and sales generally up, but increased competition.
+ Massive increase in install base compared to when 3 released, this didn't help Reach however ...
+ Halo 4 getting more attention than Reach because it has MC, Numbered Title and more positive vibes (despite reviews)
+ Highest pre orders for any Halo game ever
+ Most amount of people playing in the first 24 hours for a Halo game ever.

so 1st week sales look to be more than Halo Reach/3, the latter weeks should be as well, Black Friday after all.

ZoddGutts

It's done well in Europe specifically in the U.K. having the best debut for a new IP this year:

15/Oct/2012

It’s a hat-trick of weeks at the top for ‘FIFA 13’ (-63%), but newcomer ‘Dishonored’ from Bethesda debuts strongly at No2 with the biggest new IP launch so far this year (ahead of Sleeping Dogs).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495719

donny2112

Retail has seen the writing on the wall and are relegating the vita product into a corner somewhere out of the way.

A local Best Buy recently moved the Vita section to the middle of the gaming area (i.e. prime space) and has 3DS relegated to the back wall of gaming (i.e. Best Buy's gaming ghetto).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
A local Best Buy recently moved the Vita section to the middle of the gaming area (i.e. prime space) and has 3DS relegated to the back wall of gaming (i.e. Best Buy's gaming ghetto).

I didn't know Ken Kutaragi had a personal Best Buy. Good for him, I think. :p

NSMB vs NSMB 2 launch aligned :

graphus10d.png

Thanks to The_lascar for the chart.

I wonder how NSMB U will sale now:(

I really want to see how nsmb 2 will perform in december with the release of NSMB U. It seems to me nsmb 2 will be happy to reach half the LTD sales of nsmb DS :(
(and then you will tell me the 3ds would also be happy to reach half the LTD of the DS)

Drago

It blows my mind that NoA doesn't seem to be selling a NSMB2 3DS bundle, opting for SM3D again. I'm positive a NSMB 3DS XL would sell like mad during the holidays. I'm sure the regular 3DS they're putting out will still sell well (especially at $150 + free game) but the NSMB2 XL would have been a much more exciting 3DS to put out imo.

Is this the first year in recent memory (~2008+) that Nintendo has no special edition 3/DS for the holidays? Unless they will stealth release something..

It blows my mind that NoA doesn't seem to be selling a NSMB2 3DS bundle, opting for SM3D again. I'm positive a NSMB 3DS XL would sell like mad during the holidays. I'm sure the regular 3DS they're putting out will still sell well (especially at $150 + free game) but the NSMB2 XL would have been a much more exciting 3DS to put out imo.

Is this the first year in recent memory (~2008+) that Nintendo has no special edition 3/DS for the holidays? Unless they will stealth release something..

They announced the Zelda and Mario 3DS bundles a few days before Black Friday last year.

Hero

NSMB vs NSMB 2 launch aligned :

graphus10d.png

Thanks to The_lascar for the chart.

I wonder how NSMB U will sale now:(

NSMB 2 probably won't sell as much as NSMB 1 but it will do very good numbers at the end of the 3DS life cycle.

NSMB U will probably be a slow burn for the entire life of the Wii U since it's a launch game. I wouldn't worry about it.

donny2112

But those were leaked in all of the Black Friday ads, right? The BF ads are out and the $150 SM3D 3DS is all there is.

Nintendo is trying desperately to get back to profitability. It's affecting their sales this time around, I think. Could see some (more) YOY declines for 3DS, then.

sleepykyo

Maybe that manager is thinking of the eggs and milk in the supermarket and is trying to use the 3ds to drive traffic.

Drago

Nintendo is trying desperately to get back to profitability. It's affecting their sales this time around, I think. Could see some (more) YOY declines for 3DS, then.
They could have at least put the newer and better selling NSMB2 in the bundle instead of SM3D, at least. :/

Top Bottom