• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

Yeah, I found it. Thanks!

Is this actually true?

I could see it being legit,but it is pretty hard to believe regardless. However, if it is true, then it is astounding. Truly shows what a let down the game was for TT on XB1.

So what is the consensus here? Was that a true statement?

I would like to think that if untrue MS PR would let us know.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Those aren't the most recent are they?
Week 19 has them at 2.5-3.4k? (Depending on tracker)
Although it's splitting hairs I guess.

You're right Shinra, looked at week 18.

Mistake on my end thanks for noticing :)

The results are worse judging by Week 19, damn.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Compare the first 6 months of the current gen and previous. Console sales thanks to better manufacturing are great over 100% increase. Despite all those extra units’ software sales only increased 40%.

I know the NPD does not track digital I still say people here over rate digital sales of full retail games. Even if you give a 20% bump for digital it is still way off from the start of last generation. Last generation also came with sticker shock of a 10 dollar increase in games.

Ahh no joke, thank you for a logical response.
You make a valid point, but there are other factors I don't have the data in front of me for - how fast was the ps2/Xbox/gcn software sales falling during the same six month period of the new gen you're quoting? What was the overall market size then vs now? What were individual titles share of dollar then vs now? There were also a lot more releases then, with smaller titles getting more share - now we have fewer SKUs, but with higher ceilings for each. Lots of factors.

I was originally responding to the question of publishers panicking and pressuring price drops from 1st party. No. There's no discernible trends yet. Software drives hardware. Period.

You can argue that the new boxes might not have the intrinsic consumer value or broadest or strongest appeal by themselves as entertainment centers or "shiny new toys" (Wii u clearly failed here), but There hasn't been enough big game hitters yet to see how they do with the core market. There's barely been anything actually, so while yes every publisher would like hardware to be dirt cheap - why not? - I can't see anyone freaking out. More people are still burnt about the loss of revenue on 360 and ps3 sales falling way faster than new gen can replace, at least so far.

Eusis

The novelty will soon wear off as you realize you need to drop another $80 for a memory card
Only the ignorant and maybe some idiots would buy a 32 GB now (... well, not at $80 anyway.) You import a 64 GB for a bit over $100 or just go for one of the smaller ones.

I understand that maybe, technically, there's an argument to be made. But I just kind of feel that if you're not prefacing your post with an admission of understanding the Vita's overall predicament, it's time to take a good, long look in the mirror and reassess your confidence in your analytical skills if you're arguing that the Vita was supply constrained and not feeling silly for doing so.

cafemomo

Nintendo family (WiiU+Wii+3DS)< PS4

CzZWVNX.jpg

quest

Not Banned from OT
Isn't PS4 ahead of where the Wii was at this time worldwide?

All the "industry is doomed" posts seem a bit bizarre,,,

Well the Wii was heavily supply contrained for almost a full year. Also the Wii had at least 1 very healthy competitor in NA and 2 world wide. Right now the PS4 is carrying the whole industy the Wii never had to. Also at least in NA the 360 early on was a software selling monster attach rate wise.

I understand this, I'm just saying you can't just discount it as if it doesn't matter. The whole reason contraction is occurring is because all those (much more profitable) consumers who bought Wii's last generation aren't buying any consoles today, and that fact is invisible on your chart. There were a lot of those consumers, and those consumers were highly profitable, and they've been scooped up by competitors like Apple and Google and lost by the console manufacturers.

In other words, we aren't just losing a random sampling of consumers from the console market, we're losing the most profitable ones first, with the remaining "core" gamers typically offering far lower margins. That's a problem.

Are you really saying the Wii users were the most profitable ones last gen cause i really need to see some date to back that up .

duckroll

So handhelds are deader and deader in the US, consoles are deader and deader in Japan. The state of Japanese development is going to be reaaaaaaally "interesting" in a couple of years.

GamerJM

Banned
Jesus, how low can the Vita go? These have to be historically low numbers.

Bad news for 3DS as well. Those are some abysmal Mario Golf sales, hopefully game has legs, personally I'm not buying it but I at least want to see a Mario Golf game on a console again.

I think Nintendo needs to have permanent price cuts on the 3DS family again. Get that 2DS back down to $99 for good, the original to ~$129 and the XL to ~$149-159, at least in time for Smash's release date. They need to capitalize on that release if they want to jumpstart the platform again so that they can transition to their new system with relative grace..

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So handhelds are deader and deader in the US, consoles are deader and deader in Japan. The state of Japanese development is going to be reaaaaaaally "interesting" in a couple of years.

Well the end of year fiscal reports from each major Japanese publisher were basically:

1.) Release more mobile games.

2.) Release online games for mainland Asia.

3.) Release a few dedicated device games to base 1 and 2 on.

Top Bottom