• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

Interfectum

Meh sales all around. Feels like the console industry is becoming the comic book industry. Limited consumer base that's gonna get their wallet squeezed even more than it is already.

No dark souls 2 is a little depressing, but atleast hardware sales are healthy and there's good competition between xbone and ps4 in the US. I played a little bit of infamous but after hearing about the length I'd rather wait and buy it once it is in the $20 range.

Gator86

What word of mouth?

Probably that it's incredibly short and lacking content. The side missions are pretty much a disaster. There's like 3 or 4 types and they're not really fun. It's a great game but you can run through the good and bad play-throughs in a weekend.

StevieP

Banned
Meh sales all around. Feels like the console industry is becoming the comic book industry. Limited consumer base that's gonna get their wallet squeezed even more than it is already.

An extremely apt comparison, considering the continued focus on a single demographic for the most part. It's pretty easy to predict what's going to happen if it continues on this trajectory

crazyprac

Yes, it did. Dat word of mouth.

I think at this point you are just trolling now. Every few pages you like to post about "no games", "infamous sales have dropped", and anecdotal "evidence that no one around you wants a ps4" out of nowhere when people already replied to you.
It makes it harder to wade through aquamarine/creamsugars info and actual discussion when you incite new posters every now and then. This is why I wish they allowed leak numbers in the OP.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Do we have a concrete number for inFAMOUS in March? Considering how it was released on March 21st, it seems like it dropped immensely.

GulAtiCa

Probably that it's incredibly short and lacking content. The side missions are pretty much a disaster. There's like 3 or 4 types and they're not really fun. It's a great game but you can run through the good and bad play-throughs in a weekend.

Yep. I platinumed the game within like maybe 15-20 hours. For a sandbox game, that's kinda short, IMO. The whole good vs evil didn't really change the story much except for the ending (which is only a minor change) and rather disappointed me. I really liked the game, and I really enjoyed it and had fun, but I've been telling people not to buy it at full price.

quest

Not Banned from OT
If Sony news about MLB: The Show are some hint the sales already increased in early May plus Watch Dogs in the last NPD week...

Well I can see a good increase for PS4.

I don't know why everyone points to watch dogs as this system seller. It is on like 5 platforms and was downgraded for those old platforms. Also the game is late and any hype it had is well dead. It might sell nice on the PS4 and Xbone but that will because of the extreme drought of software on those platforms.

Mrbob

If Sony news about MLB: The Show are some hint the sales already increased in early May plus Watch Dogs in the last NPD week...

Well I can see a good increase for PS4.

Perhaps, but I believe May is historically a month where hardware sales drop 10 to 30 percent from April.

This is also why I don't think MS made a disastrous move announcing the 399 XB1 when they did. Looking at the April NPD number, XB1 is tracking to go under 100K for May in anyway. Not much more low to go.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Only less than 500k.

I know that, I thought there was something even more specific.

Oh, well

inFAMOUS: Second Son March 2014 - March 21st to April 5th (16 days) - < 500,000 copies
inFAMOUS: Second Son April 2014 - April 6th to May 3rd (28 days) - 82,000 copies

Steep drop, indeed.

Loris146

Perhaps, but I believe May is historically a month where hardware sales drop 20 to 40 percent from April.

This is also why I don't think MS made a disastrous move announcing the 399 XB1 when they did. Looking at the April NPD number, XB1 is tracking to go under 100K for May in anyway. Not much more low to go.

In late may there will be also Watch Dogs anyway :)

Busaiku

Handhelds last year were around 187k, based on jvm's pixel counting.
Vita being down about 14k represents about 8% of that.

But handhelds are down 38% YOY this month. :-(

This kind of environment is too depressing to talk about 3DS sales!

wait a minute....
last year: 3DS+DS+PSV+PSP=113k+40k+15k+5k=173k
.62*173k=107.26k

is 3DS actually over 100k for the month? that's surprising

(or is this simply current-gen handhelds, in which case uh oh)

allan-bh

I know that, I thought there was something even more specific.

Oh, well

inFAMOUS: Second Son March 2014 - March 21st to April 5th (16 days) - < 500,000 copies
inFAMOUS: Second Son April 2014 - April 6th to May 3rd (28 days) - 82,000 copies

Steep drop, indeed.

I supose is close to 500k. Indeed is a big drop.

donny2112

But handhelds are down 38% YOY this month. :-(

This kind of environment is too depressing to talk about 3DS sales!

Wait. Assuming NDS and PSP are completely negligible (as if PSV is not), that'd put 3DS at ~107K, which is entirely reasonable. Is this one of those "Oh, I get it ..." things? ;)

LOTR_I_get_it.png

Gator86

Yep. I platinumed the game within like maybe 15-20 hours. For a sandbox game, that's kinda short, IMO. The whole good vs evil didn't really change the story much except for the ending (which is only a minor change) and rather disappointed me. I really liked the game, and I really enjoyed it and had fun, but I've been telling people not to buy it at full price.

Yeah, that the big problem with it. Its definitely a fun experience while it lasts but it doesn't have a lot of staying power. I recommend renting it to people I know. A sequel could be amazing considering the base they already have in place now.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
That's what I found when looking for last year's numbers

April 2013 handheld - 187,000 (3DS + PSV + DS + PSP)
April 2014 handheld (-38%) - 115,940 (3DS + PSV + DS + PSP)

PSV is 3,300, so 3DS + DS + PSP = 112,640

According to Aqua's comments in March NPD, DS has completely collapsed as well.

So one can safely assume that 3DS is over a wonderful 101k?

When NPD wasn't so tight on the leaks (they've rarely willingly "shared" data), VGC would just wholesale take the NPD numbers and mess around a bit with them. Then people thought VGC was more accurate than they were. With NPD tightening down on leaks, people who still have access to NPD can see just how whacked out VGC's "methodology" really is. In that case, sharing more data would actually serve to improve VGC's "accuracy" and potentially impact NPD's bottom line. :/

Behold, VGC's fucked up methodology:

zqIOQUk.png

So when you see this:

p0uClkT.png

...That's how it is "calculated."

RiggyRob

:( :(

Anyway PS4 and One need GTA V next gen... Do you guys think that R* will drop it ?

Of course they'll make GTV for PS4/X1, it's what they're working on now.

Edit: You might not have the numbers, but could anyone confirm whether the Wii outsold the PS3? Seeing the 3DS numbers being calculated is making my mind swirl at the possibility.

N.Domixis

Banned
The 360 will put the final nail in the Xbox 1. These casuals are switching over for along time. The xbox has attracted many more casuals then the ps3. With more core gamers transferring over to ps4 faster there could be a point where ps4 remains ahead of xbox for most months. Eventually the larger install base will bring in the casuals. Jk about the nail.

PBY

Banned
Feel like we're finly hitting a point where the pent up launch hype /enthusiast purchases have slowed, and we can get a more accurate picture of console sales.

Don't wanna jump the gun on one month- but console sales definitely look to be slowing.

Of course they'll make GTV for PS4/X1, it's what they're working on now.

Edit: You might not have the numbers, but could anyone confirm whether the Wii outsold the PS3? Seeing the 3DS numbers being calculated is making my mind swirl at the possibility.

Consoles are up 57% compared to last year.

When compared to the declining handhelds, the strength of the PS4 + Xbox One is encouraging!

iceatcs

So crazy PS4 actually dominating US market. I will never believe that before 6 months ago.

I think PS4 is on autopilot for long time for the world market.

N.Domixis

Banned
So crazy PS4 actually dominating US market. I will never believe that before 6 months ago.

I think PS4 is on autopilot for long time for the world market.
Yep, so next time next gen comes around, we better not have people saying anything is on lockdown. Market leaders in the console industry swap around every gen.

Top Bottom