• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2014 [Up2: XB1/360 hardware, PS4 #1/XB1 #2 best selling]

Well, did PS4 sell anywhere near 1.74M software units this month?

That seems impossible to me compared to only 0.47M XOne copies.

Ehhh...I'm just going to keep it deleted. Really sorry for misleading people. I won't do those kind of calculations again.

Thanks! So nothing specific yet just >500k.

Any chance we could get a more concrete figure? I'd like to know what the percentage of sales for the title are on both platforms.

We already know this:

HW
~0.42
~1.73

TF X1 ~ 77k
SS ~ 82k

Titanfall was 865K last month.

So Titanfall *should* be around 560K, but my heart is pounding from that stupid tie ratio thing so I don't really want to say anything.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ehhh...I'm just going to keep it deleted. Really sorry for misleading people. I won't do those kind of calculations again.

Ehy, ya'know, I'm not bad at math. Send me a PM, and I'll do it!

Joking

So, I suppose PS2 was heavily supply constrained for the first few months, right? Otherwise, March number can't be explained: it must have been when stock was plenty.

It's posts like these that make me realize that I should ignore most of the posts in these topics.

xbownedu0jj2.png

edit: Wii U's numbers are its first year so Nov '12 - Apr '13.

Where do these come from, do they show the official numbers?

prag16

Banned
Where do these come from, do they show the official numbers?

I think those are official. It shows launch aligned first six months for each console I believe. EDIT: Okay maybe not QUITE official. But looks to be close.

We already know this:

Titanfall was 865K last month.

So Titanfall *should* be around 560K, but my heart is pounding from that stupid tie ratio thing so I don't really want to say anything.

Do you have Wii U LTD software? (that won't involve making any calculations, yeah? :) )

Ehy, ya'know, I'm not bad at math. Send me a PM, and I'll do it!

Joking

I think those are official. It shows launch aligned first six months for each console I believe. EDIT: Okay maybe not QUITE official. But looks to be close.

Do you have Wii U LTD software? (that won't involve making any calculations, yeah? :) )

DONT MAKE FUN OF ME JUST BECAUSE I MESS UP SOMETIMES GUYZ I APOLOGIZED AND DELETED THE POST ALREADY GOD

;_;

Kidding ;-)

Can't believe GTA V has sold through 10.5 million units in the USA.

Its numbers are ridiculous and it continues to sell close to 100K units every month reliably, even as we're getting into the slow season.

When Rockstar announces GTA V for PS4 / Xbox One that number is going to balloon even higher.

Its numbers are ridiculous and it continues to sell close to 100K units every month reliably, even as we're getting into the slow season.

When Rockstar announces GTA V for PS4 / Xbox One that number is going to balloon even higher.

Do you think GTAV+expansions+multiplayer spending could account for the ~$600m Take Two expect R* to bring in world wide for the next year or will it take something new?

Looking at the page number it is on I'm guessing he was relying on the "double x1 numbers" being parroted before what cream revealed later.

Yeah maybe so.

There were absolutely no worthwhile next-gen launches during the month of April, yet people are already citing doom and gloom for Xbox One and PS4?

I just don't get it...

Sure, 115K isn't all that good. But 200K for PS4 seems reasonable for an abysmal month of games... Let's see what Watch Dogs does for both - particularly the PS4 - in May / June.

(Assuming review scores are good. Call me crazy, but I'm expecting a Metacritic in the 70's)

Once we get out of this cross-gen funk and developers start to build games from the ground up on XBO and PS4, then things should get interesting. Give us a next-gen only CoD or GTA and things should blow up.

Road

I think the opposite actually: GTAV sales in the US continue to be unimpressive.

It has already outsold any given COD worldwide by a good margin, but it doesn't compare to the shooter peak in America: 8~9 million in one month, 14~15 million total.

Let's see how the next-gen releases perform.

So GTA V already one of the best selling games of all time in US. Already outsold GTA:SA LTD too.

It only took four months, but Call of Duty: Black Ops has already taken the top spot as the best-selling game in U.S. history.

Since its release in November, Black Ops sold 13.7 million units in the U.S. combined across Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, Wii, and Nintendo DS, according to retail tracking firm NPD.

Below is the latest, best-selling list of video games in the U.S. to date as provided by NPD:

1.Call of Duty: Black Ops
2. Wii Play W/ Remote
3. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
4. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
5. Guitar Hero III Legends Of Rock
6. Mario Kart w/Wheel
7. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
8. New Super Mario Bros DS
9. Wii Fit
10. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Note: NPD has only begun tracking video games sales since the late 90s. NPD does not track digital game sales.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/03/11/black-ops-the-best-selling-game-in-us-history

from 2009 said:
BEST-SELLING US GAME SOFTWARE: JAN. 2000-AUG. 2009
RANK / TITLE (YEAR) / PLATFORM(S) / UNIT SALES
1 / Wii Play with Remote (2006) / Wii / 11.1 million
2 / Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (2007) / PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox 360 / 10.3 million
3 / Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (2004) / PS2, Xbox / 9.8 million
4 / Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007) / DS, PS3, Xbox 360 / 8.5 million
5 / Wii Fit with Balance Board (2008) / Wii / 7.9 million
6 / Madden NFL 07 (2006) / GC, GBA, PSP, PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360
7/ Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002) / PS2, Xbox
8 / Madden NFL 08 (2007) / GC, PSP, PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360,
9 / Call of Duty: World at War (2008) / DS, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii
10 / Halo 2 (2004) / Xbox

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-play-guitar-hero-iii-top-games-of-2000sso-far/1100-6233163/

I gotta say. I didn't expect the XB1 to do so poorly. Wow. I'm just surprised people aren't buying it. I have been more pleased with the XB1 launch titles than just about any console I can think of. Its just crazy to me that shelves are still full of them and it can't just be price.

Petrae

I gotta say. I didn't expect the XB1 to do so poorly. Wow. I'm just surprised people aren't buying it. I have been more pleased with the XB1 launch titles than just about any console I can think of. Its just crazy to me that shelves are still full of them and it can't just be price.

Exorbitant pricing has a lot to do with it, though. When you're the most expensive platform on the market, you're going to get passed over quite a bit.

Narrowing the price gap (with Kinect about to go away) with the market leader might help, but more games will be needed to turn the tide. I think MS understands this, because games are (allegedly) the focus for its press event in Los Angeles in a few weeks.

Will it? GTAV's over 32 million right? That's insane in its own right. But it seems most people who've played it have already done so. Don't know if the game is double-dip friendly, the content would roughly be the same.

I could say the same for TLOU but it's more narrative-driven and would probably benefit from the extra power more than GTA5 (plus way less people have played that).

ethomaz

Banned
It's a slow month overall, a four week reporting period and PS4 was by far the best selling console.

I think their fantastic relative performance is enough to satisfy them for this month.
If Sony news about MLB: The Show are some hint the sales already increased in early May plus Watch Dogs in the last NPD week...

Well I can see a good increase for PS4.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Sony must not be pleased with their hardware sales, despite being #1.

it was a down month all around not to mention lack of major releases. If May ends up rough they might start to get worried.. but one month does not a trend make.

Wolfenstein and Watch Dogs could potentially breathe some life into sales.

Tripon

The PS3 was so bad, that's why everyone who had one is jumping to the PS4. It also explains the sales drop off.

The 360 is so awesome, and gets so many updates, there's almost no reason for anyone to upgrade to a The One.

I wonder if Yusef Medhi understands how poor an argument he made.

donny2112

Is NPD still not collecting digital sale data?

They would have to convince the owners of that data (Valve + some other guys) to share that data to have it be as meaningfully accurate as their retail data. As-is, they're surveying thousands of gamers directly to see their purchases and trying to extrapolate a larger picture from that (I think). It's inherently much less accurate, but they're at least trying.

It's a slow month overall, a four week reporting period and PS4 was by far the best selling console.

I think their fantastic relative performance is enough to satisfy them for this month.

Yeah this is kind of a unique scenario where the top two in demand consoles launched within a week of each other and were able to satisfy launch demand faster than any other generation. If I'm MS I'm not concerned about absolutes. I'm concerned about relative performance and the strength of my exclusives and software features compared to the competition. They've already equalized price and are now reaching for software features parity. Now come the GAEMZ. This is why I think this year will be the best e3 in recent memory.

Top Bottom