• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

TheDuce22

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Grand Slam and Tiger Woods are great games, fucking great games actually, and among the very first to use the Motion+. Active Sports is excellent, a new benchmark, for a crowd Sony and Microsoft so want to go after. Dead Space goes beyond what we have seen so far in its genre.

Nintendo fans dont seem to understand that the poor sales have nothing to do with quality. Im guessing a large portion of Wiis sold were to nongamers who will most likely never buy another game and only bust it out of the closet for Wii Sports with friends once in a while.

Sushen

TunaLover said:
Gamecube almost ALMOST got PS3, damnit!
:lol :lol :lol What Gamecube really failed is not the install base but the lack of domination of SW chart. Look at current NPD charts or ones from N64 days, you see tons of titles from winning hardware platforms in top x0 and that's where the money is.

TheDuce22

Banned
Sushen said:
:lol :lol :lol What Gamecube really failed is not the install base but the lack of domination of SW chart. Look at current NPD charts or ones from N64 days, you see tons of titles from winning hardware platforms in top x0 and that's where the money is.

The funny thing is Gamecube was an amazing little console. Nintendo took a huge step back with the Wii.

Sushen said:

Because the PS3 is such a software monster right?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Sho_Nuff82 said:
They stopped with NCAA for the same reason they may end up dropping Madden - Wii owners don't want it. They tried with Madden 07 and 08, they tried something different with the All Play and Mascot and super deformed crap, none of it worked, no one wants to play football games with current motion control setups, we get it and I think EA gets it too.
You REALLY don't know what you're talking about here. Your NCAA comment already proves it, so I'll be nice and humor you with an answer anyways.

The franchise is dead on Wii because of how EA has treated it, not the audience OR the hardware. Madden would be dead on any other platform as well if it were treated the same as they did with Madden on Wii, it's been nothing more than a feign of support for the console.

markatisu

TheDuce22 said:
Nintendo fans dont seem to understand that the poor sales have nothing to do with quality. Im guessing a large portion of Wiis sold were to nongamers who will most likely never buy another game and only bust it out of the closet for Wii Sports with friends once in a while.

who is having poor sales? the only game suffering from poor sales on Wii by EA is Madden

Deaf Space has not come out and Tiger Woods/GST/EA Active have done good (GST did as could as a console tennis game could, it's been years since one was big outside of Wii Sports

Not sure what you are trying to argue

wazoo

TheDuce22 said:

Poor sales are also relative to the genre. No (non mascot) tennis game burned the charts for a long time, and Tiger Wood sales are pretty good, more than next gen variants). For example, Shawn White Snow on Wii did more than 1M in 2008 and is the only version to get a sequel.

Taurus

TheDuce22 said:
This doesn't make sense at all. Everyone who have been in sales-age threads recently knows that PS3 and Wii sell about the same amount of games per sold console, and X360 sells the most games per sold console. Last time I've heard it was about 7 games per console with PS3 and Wii and about 9 games per console with X360. Someone correct me since these aren't precise.

IF we forget the installed platform number differences, then the Wii sells the most software (overall software).

people still focussing on the past. blah blah blah aligned launches blah blah blah.

it was stupid when sony fans were doing it two years ago to show the PS3 doing well.

it's stupid now that microsoft fans are doing it to show that the PS3 has a long way to go to 'catch the 360'.

only fanboys care about aligned launches and install bases.

if this time next year the PS3 is selling more hardware and software monthly than the 360 is, it won't matter if they still haven't caught up in install base.

what has happened has happened. where the majority of money is being spent in MONTHLY charts is far more important than install base. especially to gamers wondering where the next software is going to be coming from and where it's going to go.

the Joker DLC clearly had a large effect on Arkham Asylum, good move there from Sony. Sony fans it seems WILL buy a multiplatform game that doesn't look any better on their system then it does on the 360 so long as you give them a little extra.

'multiplatform resentment' has always been a really weird part of the PS3 sales to me, where games with adequate (but slightly inferior) ports on PS3 did terrible sales because the Sony fans decried being treated as secondary, ignoring that they still had a good if not great version of a great game.

next month is going to be interesting. i presume we're thinking that ODST isn't going to move many systems, which seems logical... but i'm not going to guarantee Sony beating the 360 just yet.

i just think it's more likely.

as ever, Sony don't seem to have an eye on NPD figures with their release dates and have launched a product or a title at the tail end of one reporting period.

it just goes to continue to show that they don't care as much about NPD placement as many of us here do.

the slim has definately given sales a shot in the arm, but enough of a shot in the arm? i haven't seen signs of that yet. we'll see what the holiday spending power brings.

TunaLover

TheDuce22 said:
The funny thing is Gamecube was an amazing little console. Nintendo took a huge step back with the Wii.

It seems to be a cursed generation, Sony took a huge step back with the PS3.

yurinka

I think ODST won't move a lot of consoles, because seeing Halo 3 and 360 LTD sales I think all Halo fans (or almost) already have the console.

Instead, I think Elite price cut will move consoles.

Road

Flying_Phoenix said:
Because the PS3 is such a software monster right?
Top 10 software sales:

360 - 1,231k
Wii - 1,002k
PS3 - 955k
PSP - 130k
NDS - 92k

If only top 10 meant everything...

Has the PS3 ever totaled more sold units in the top 10 than the Wii? Or the 360, while we're at it?

Parl

Taurus said:
This doesn't make sense at all. Everyone who have been in sales-age threads recently knows that PS3 and Wii sell about the same amount of games per sold console, and X360 sells the most games per sold console. Last time I've heard it was about 7 games per console with PS3 and Wii and about 9 games per console with X360. Someone correct me since these aren't precise.

IF we forget the installed platform number differences, then the Wii sells the most software (overall software).
360 is higher primarily due to being released much earlier and the average duration of ownership is significantly longer.

botticus

Road said:
Has the PS3 ever totaled more sold units in the top 10 than the Wii? Or the 360, while we're at it?
Topped 360 with the release of MGS4 (versus Ninja Gaiden II and Bad Company), not sure about Wii.

Gwanatu T

Not much of interest in this NPD. Wii Sports Resort is doing well but not as well as I had though, but then again the Wii is a long-legs type of SW selling machine.

I'm really surprised to see Dissidia on that list; I think that certainly bodes well for FFXIII when it hits. The series obviously still has great brand name recognition.

yurinka said:
I think ODST won't move a lot of consoles, because seeing Halo 3 and 360 LTD sales I think all Halo fans (or almost) already have the console.

I honestly don't think ODST will sell any notable amount of consoles. In fact I'll be surprised if ODST even touches Halo 3's sales.

TheDuce22 said:

OH NO YOU DI'N'T

orion434

plagiarize said:
people still focussing on the past. blah blah blah aligned launches blah blah blah.

it was stupid when sony fans were doing it two years ago to show the PS3 doing well.

it's stupid now that microsoft fans are doing it to show that the PS3 has a long way to go to 'catch the 360'.

only fanboys care about aligned launches and install bases

You do realize you're in an NPD thread? This happens every month... I've been reading Neogaf NPD threads since early 2007 just recently became a member. I'm a fanboy of numbers... I love this shit. So to you the only thing that matters is NPD numbers from today onward? I can never understand this mentality... the Wii has been kickin' the X360's ass for almost 3 years... yet if the 360 somehow started pulling numbers higher or even the PS3 manages to do so it will NEGATE the past 3 years of data?

If this scenario did indeed happen I'd be more interested in if either the X360 or PS3's lead is as substantial and consistent as the Wii's dominance once was. The only thing we can compare to is the past... unless you have a flying DeLorean :D

milanbaros

Member?
I think EA have blown it with Madden and Wii. They would have been better off positioning it along side the HD versions and be content with the fact it sold so so. Instead they've played around and been left with fuck all.

vanguardian1 said:
You REALLY don't know what you're talking about here. Your NCAA comment already proves it, so I'll be nice and humor you with an answer anyways.

The franchise is dead on Wii because of how EA has treated it, not the audience OR the hardware. Madden would be dead on any other platform as well if it were treated the same as they did with Madden on Wii, it's been nothing more than a feign of support for the console.

Madden 07 and 08 PS3 ran at half the framerate with worse textures than the 360 verison in both cases, 360 version (and logo) is used in all commercials to this day, and PS3 owners still bought it then and still buy it now.

Madden 07 and 08 both reviewed well, both controlled well (based on the content of those reviews), had exclusive content, and were one of only a handful of online games (and an even smaller subset of online sports games) on Wii. And they still sold like shit.

Stop making excuses.

EA's first two efforts with Madden this gen were no less earnest than their efforts with Tiger Woods.

I think this points very strongly towards several suggestions:

1) Motion controlled golf is more appealing than dual analog golf

2) Dual analog football is more appealing than motion controlled football

3a) People interested in football games preferentially purchase PS3s and 360s
3b) Wii owners by and large aren't interested in American football

4a) People interested in golf games preferentially purchase Wiis
4b) 360/PS3 owners by and large aren't interested in Golf

Gwanatu T said:
I honestly don't think ODST will sell any notable amount of consoles. In fact I'll be surprised if ODST even touches Halo 3's sales.

I think anyone who predicts less than 2 million in sales for the first calender month its on shelves is being willfully ignorant. That's around half of Halo 3's pace, but it will still far and away outsell the #2 title 4-5x over.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Sho_Nuff82 said:
If all you want is downports of HD games you're going to see a lot of Dead Rising/Modern Warfare-izing of popular games - this approach flat out does not work.
Not to mention downports are exactly the "half-hearted" effort he is complaining about.

donny2112

Jtyettis said:
Wasn't aware MS has taken every month for third party sales this year.

Microsoft likes to refer to revenue. Units-wise, they may not have, especially in January.

On the above discussion, I'm fine with downports. I plan on buying Dead Rising Wii after a price drop (if it was a better game, I'd have bought it at launch for $40), and I plan on buying Modern Warfare Wii (hopefully on sale for $40 somewhere), if it's competent. I think it would be good for publishers to enlist more outside developers to port their PS360 multi-platform titles to Wii like was done with Ghostbusters. I think it'd be good for the people in the industry, too, since it would employ more of the smaller developers to do Wii ports.

That's my position, anyways.

gerg

I'd have to agree with certain posters in saying that the reason for Madden's poor sales is down to the Wii itself. AFAIC, the audience for such a game would never have really existed on the Wii, and I don't think there's anything EA can really do to improve the franchise's sales on the Wii. Why does Tiger Woods perform so much better? Most likely because the audience for golf games is much wider and more varied than that for NFL games, and thus potential consumers for the title are more likely to own a Wii.

Gwanatu T

Tom Penny said:
How have the GTA expansion packs sold?

No idea, I haven't bought either of them and didn't plan to. I got sick of GTA IV half way through.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I think anyone who predicts less than 2 million in sales for the first calender month its on shelves is being willfully ignorant. That's around half of Halo 3's pace, but it will still far and away outsell the #2 title 4-5x over.

I think you're spot on with the Madden stuff.

Fair enough about ODST, I'm not trying to make any predictions here, just saying you know?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Madden 07 and 08 PS3 ran at half the framerate with worse textures than the 360 verison in both cases, 360 version (and logo) is used in all commercials to this day, and PS3 owners still bought it then and still buy it now.

Madden 07 and 08 both reviewed well, both controlled well (based on the content of those reviews), had exclusive content, and were one of only a handful of online games (and an I think this points very strongly towards several suggestions:

1) Motion controlled golf is more appealing than dual analog golf

2) Dual analog football is more appealing than motion controlled football

3a) People interested in football games preferentially purchase PS3s and 360s
3b) Wii owners by and large aren't interested in American football

4b) 360/PS3 owners by and large aren't interested in Golf
I would also add
3a) i) Football fans have also been early adopters of technology, especially HD. If they are watching their games in HD they probably want to play the game of the game in HD.

TheDuce22 said:
Uh Tiger Woods and EA Active both did extremely well and are quality games (no I don't care if you don't care about them, that's not the point)

Boom Blox Bash Party iirc is doing par for the course compared to its predecessor and that ended up selling like 500k

I don't want to predict anything specific about Dead Space sales but I don't think it will do spectacularly, but it won't be a bomb either.

gerg

TheDuce22 said:

Except for the fact that software sales on the Wii, excluding those of Wii Sports, in America in 2008 were the highest of any console that year, right?

botticus

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Madden 07 and 08 both reviewed well, both controlled well (based on the content of those reviews), had exclusive content, and were one of only a handful of online games (and an even smaller subset of online sports games) on Wii. And they still sold like shit.
Madden 07 and 08 sold comparably on the Wii and PS3.

wazoo

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Tennis games, as well. That is why, GST on HD is postponed, the team being allocated to EA Sports Active 2.

rayner said:
You do realize you're in an NPD thread?
yes. i'm in a monthly sales thread. i'm not in a 'make up nonsense metrics' thread.

This happens every month... I've been reading Neogaf NPD threads since early 2007 just recently became a member. I'm a fanboy of numbers... I love this shit. So to you the only thing that matters is NPD numbers from today onward? I can never understand this mentality... the Wii has been kickin' the X360's ass for almost 3 years... yet if the 360 somehow started pulling numbers higher or even the PS3 manages to do so it will NEGATE the past 3 years of data?
from a real world gamer/market perspective yes.

developers and publishers won't care which console has the larger install base if we see PS3 software and hardware doing better month on month in the charts. they will focus their development on PS3 more than 360 because that will be where the money currently is.

to me, talking about install base is fantasy football geekery. if you're openly doing that, i have no issues. if you're arguing that it MEANS something, then yeah, i'm going to debate that cause it doesn't.

it's like people that argue that Microsoft or Sony have to make back all their previous losses for their gaming divisions to be seen as a success when that's completely ignorant of the reality of business.

If this scenario did indeed happen I'd be more interested in if either the X360 or PS3's lead is as substantial and consistent as the Wii's dominance once was. The only thing we can compare to is the past... unless you have a flying DeLorean :D
we can look to the past to help predict trends going forwards. no question. but no developer is going to go 'sure the 360 is outselling the Wii now, but it didn't for three years so lets spend our money developing Wii games' should your scenario occur.

aligned launches, install base, etc etc. it's all just bragging rights that have little to no meaning in the business world.

as a gamer i care about the metrics that decide which games are made, how much is spent on them and which systems they will launch on, and when it comes to that, yes, the only thing that counts is how things have been doing over the last few months.

plagiarize said:
yes. i'm in a monthly sales thread. i'm not in a 'make up nonsense metrics' thread.

from a real world gamer/market perspective yes.

developers and publishers won't care which console has the larger install base if we see PS3 software and hardware doing better month on month in the charts. they will focus their development on PS3 more than 360 because that will be where the money currently is.

to me, talking about install base is fantasy football geekery. if you're openly doing that, i have no issues. if you're arguing that it MEANS something, then yeah, i'm going to debate that cause it doesn't.

it's like people that argue that Microsoft or Sony have to make back all their previous losses for their gaming divisions to be seen as a success when that's completely ignorant of the reality of business.

we can look to the past to help predict trends going forwards. no question. but no developer is going to go 'sure the 360 is outselling the Wii now, but it didn't for three years so lets spend our money developing Wii games' should your scenario occur.

aligned launches, install base, etc etc. it's all just bragging rights that have little to no meaning in the business world.

as a gamer i care about the metrics that decide which games are made, how much is spent on them and which systems they will launch on, and when it comes to that, yes, the only thing that counts is how things have been doing over the last few months.

If selling better on a month-by-month basis does not have any affect on software sales, then it will mean jack.

gkryhewy

The important thing is that this is all irrelevant because the 360 is not outselling the Wii on a month to month basis, nor will it for the foreseeable future.

dragonfart28 said:
If selling better on a month-by-month basis does not have any affect on software sales, then it will mean jack.
agreed.

that's why i said 'PS3 software and hardware' and not just 'hardware'.

Vinci

Danish
TunaLover said:
That´s true, but bear in mind that Nintendo moves to turtle pace...

Doesn't this generation kind of kick that idea in the face? They move quickly where they deem it financially rewarding and hold up when it isn't. That's not moving slowly, that's moving with efficiency.

botticus said:
Madden 07 and 08 sold comparably on the Wii and PS3.
Same with Call of Duty 3. Once pubs started shorting Wii owners, I'm willing to bet most of them just said "fuck you" while buying games like Guitar Hero or Sonic that were given a fair shot from the start.

It's like how Force Unleashed ended up selling better on Wii than PS3. There's a market there for the traditional kind of games, but when third parties start pulling shit like Madden All-Play where the cover is Favre pointing and laughing at you, they're not going to get those Wii owners' money.

plagiarize said:

I mostly agree, a good number of these extrapolations are nothing but silly. But what all those numbers and charts and bullhockey do is allow a person to look at the industry on a larger scale. It's more about magnifying the past and understanding what worked/didn't than straight up affecting the future.

The Madden can't sell on Wii arguments are bullshit. The problem with Madden on Wii now is that EA sacrificed a market that did exist for one that didn't.

Madden 10 Wii is obviously an attempt to grab all those players who would have latched onto Tecmo Bowl on the NEs because it wasn't to complicated. Unfortunately those people would never play Madden in the first place.

EA should have stuck with developing a full fledged sports game with comparable modes.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
ODST is going to move some Hardware.

Halo 2 moved hardware long after Halo 1 had come out. Gears 2 moved hardware long after Gears 1 came out.

It won't move Halo 3 levels of hardware, but it is going to be significant..

gerg

Aaron Strife said:
Same with Call of Duty 3. Once pubs started shorting Wii owners, I'm willing to bet most of them just said "fuck you" while buying games like Guitar Hero or Sonic that were given a fair shot from the start.

It's like how Force Unleashed ended up selling better on Wii than PS3. There's a market there for the traditional kind of games, but when third parties start pulling shit like Madden All-Play where the cover is Favre pointing and laughing at you, they're not going to get those Wii owners' money.

I don't think a Star Wars game - a brand perhaps on par with LEGO and Disney - can give us much conclusive evidence as to the specific demographics of Wii owners.

DeaconKnowledge said:
The Madden can't sell on Wii arguments are bullshit. The problem with Madden on Wii now is that EA sacrificed a market that did exist for one that didn't.

I'd partially agree with this. EA's handling of Wii Madden games has probably made a bad situation worse.

StoOgE said:
ODST is going to move some Hardware.

Halo 2 moved hardware long after Halo 1 had come out. Gears 2 moved hardware long after Gears 1 came out.

It won't move Halo 3 levels of hardware, but it is going to be significant..
define 'significant' and how it will be obviously separate to any effect of the SKU juggling and the general up tick we see start to see in September.

edit: this is a pretty unique release with little to compare to. it isn't an all new release. it's a side story without the franchises poster boy with largely recycled multiplayer. expecting too much from it is i think unfair.

personally i hope it does great so i can bash that guy i was debating with over whether or not the campaign or the multiplayer of Halo 3 accounted for it's success, and i was on the side of the campaign.

Son of Godzilla said:
I mostly agree, a good number of these extrapolations are nothing but silly. But what all those numbers and charts and bullhockey do is allow a person to look at the industry on a larger scale. It's more about magnifying the past and understanding what worked/didn't than straight up affecting the future.
well, like i said data analysis can be useful for making predictions... but i don't see much value in something like aligned launch graphs which basically hide market trends, competition, etc etc, and install base is definitely secondary to monthly hardware and software sales.

it doesn't matter how many people have console X if they aren't buying software, and people have stopped buying console X.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
plagiarize said:
well, like i said data analysis can be useful for making predictions... but i don't see much value in something like aligned launch graphs which basically hide market trends, competition, etc etc, and install base is definitely secondary to monthly hardware and software sales.

it doesn't matter how many people have console X if they aren't buying software, and people have stopped buying console X.
Launch time differences are important though, and so you have to take them into account, although they get less important as time goes on. In the first year of the PS3 and Wii's release it would have been pointless to make a direct comparison to the 360 without acknowledging the launch difference.

Top Bottom